(Topic ID: 172869)

DiamondClear Finish now available in aerosol

By jwilson

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fdefa06f3938ae4556ecdadb0650ff30 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I've done some really nice clearcoats using the DiamondClear product from KBS coatings. It comes in a can and you thin it out and roll it on your playfield, and it dries crystal clear and perfectly flat, rarely needing any polishing.

They've recently introduced an aerosol version that might be a bit easier to use for people. It's currently on sale for $17.95 per can. If it's as good as the roll-on version it might be better than the AutoMax product as it is decidedly less toxic.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

#2 7 years ago

Let's see some pictures.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from Fast-Ed:

Let's see some pictures.

+1

I bought a can 3 years ago and 2 weeks ago, I decide I'm going to finally try it out. I could not remove the lid. The clear had seal the lid shut. I had to punch two holes to get the clear out. I'd be curious to see some close up pictures and see how good of a mirror finish you were able to get.

#4 7 years ago

Would love to see some pics, I wouldn't mind trying some.

#6 7 years ago

Most importantly is how hard the finish..No way its near as hard as 2 part auto clear..I can polish out lacquer to a mirror finish, but it wont hold up on a pf.

#7 7 years ago

https://success.kbs-coatings.com/topic/1985-diamond-finish/

So yes way it is nearly as hard as a 2 part auto clear!

#8 7 years ago

I don't have any photos handy but here are some from someone else's resto:

DiamondFinishDiamondFinish

#9 7 years ago

From their website description:

Water clear high gloss clear coat remains permanently flexible and is able to perform in the toughest environments without yellowing, cracking or peeling.

Wouldn't "permanently flexible" contradict "hard"?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

From their website description:
    Water clear high gloss clear coat remains permanently flexible and is able to perform in the toughest environments without yellowing, cracking or peeling.
    Wouldn't "permanently flexible" contradict "hard"?

If it was rock hard, it might shatter.

But yeah, I would be a little concerned about ghosting, chipping, and peeling if it's *too* malliable.

I'd be interested to see how well it holds up after a year or more of regular play.

#11 7 years ago

Still a bit unproven as far as playfields go, but at the very least seems like a good alternative for cabinet restores and such.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If it was rock hard, it might shatter.
    But yeah, I would be a little concerned about ghosting, chipping, and peeling if it's *too* malliable.
    I'd be interested to see how well it holds up after a year or more of regular play.

Think a bit how trees work. If they didn't flex a bit they'd break in the wind.

Them saying flexible isn't moving several inches.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Think a bit how trees work. If they didn't flex a bit they'd break in the wind.
    Them saying flexible isn't moving several inches.

I wasn't disagreeing. I was just saying too far towards either extreme can be bad.

#14 7 years ago

Looks promising |!

#16 7 years ago

Here's a quote from that thread that had me wondering about the safety of this product.

Quoted from vid1900:

Any spray can poly also requires you to wear a chem respirator and a $10 Tyvek "bunny suit", too.
    Benzene, Toluene, Xylene....all that stuff will destroy your nervous system, and kill your pinball reaction time.

Yes it's water based, but they state on their website they want you wearing a respirator if spraying. Just wondering what the advantage is using this product over Spraymax2K or 2PAC.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Here's a quote from that thread that had me wondering about the safety of this product.

Yes it's water based, but they state on their website they want you wearing a respirator if spraying. Just wondering what the advantage is using this product over Spraymax2K or 2PAC.

For those who don't have an air compressor and appropriate gun. Price per can is higher, but for someone doing one job or just getting started this is a lower barrier to entry.

#18 7 years ago

I was told a photo of mine appeared in this thread so I thought I'd check in. That's my 6MDM with DiamondClear above. (Mentions work now, BTW, jwilson )

That clear pictured above was rolled on--not sprayed using the new aerosol. I bought a can of the aerasol to try out, but i have not had a chance to uae it. The 6MDM clearcoat is holding up very well àfter seven-ish months of daily play and the game plays deadly fast. Granted, I'd still perfer a professional auto clear job, but Diamond Finish gives a smooth, crystal clear finish and application is a breeze.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

I was told a photo of mine appeared in this thread so I thought I'd check in. That's my 6MDM with DiamondClear above. (Mentions work now, BTW, jwilson )
    That clear pictured above was rolled on--not sprayed using the new aerosol. I bought a can of the aerasol to try out, but i have not had a chance to uae it. The 6MDM clearcoat is holding up very well àfter seven-ish months of daily play and the game plays deadly fast. Granted, I'd still perfer a professional auto clear job, but Diamond Finish gives a smooth, crystal clear finish and application is a breeze.

That is rolled on? Looks fantastic!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from lyonsden:

That is brushed on? Looks fantastic!

No rolled on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diamondclear-finish-now-available-in-aerosol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.