Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by GLModular
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dwshopped.jpg
    dw3.JPG
    dw2.JPG
    dw1.JPG
    dw0.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

My Dr. Who looks like it has a gloss to it, but there is no Diamond Plate logo. I saw the logo on a friend's DW.

Do they all have Diamond Plate?

Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Yes, but only some have the logo.

#3 11 years ago

they stopped putting it on the playfield during the DW run. Figured they all had it anyway, why bother to print it. Only pinheads knew what the hell they were talking about anyway.

#4 11 years ago

Ok, good to know it's there. Looked like it was.. just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

#5 11 years ago

Is there a barcode?

#6 11 years ago

Also check below the apron if its says Lenc Smith somewhere.
    Wms had 3 companies supplying pfs.
    SunProcess developed DP and LencSmith their alternative.
    DP was better and their pfs have the logo.
    LS pfs have clearcoat but no logo and are sometimes of less quality.
    Bsd and WW pfs from LS ie..

CCC not only made cabinets but also pfs like for tz.
    These different manufacturers also explain color differences like hot pink version of cftbl and pink/red tz.

#7 11 years ago

Cool, interesting stuff.

I don't see anything that says Lenc Smith.

dw0.JPGdw0.JPG dw1.JPGdw1.JPG dw2.JPGdw2.JPG dw3.JPGdw3.JPG

#8 11 years ago

What's with the seemingly random red insert and drill holes underneath the apron on WMS playfields? Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from S37VEN:

What's with the seemingly random red insert and drill holes underneath the apron on WMS playfields? Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

The insert is for testing the clear. They would randomly pull playfields off the line and test the clearcoat (hardness, thickness, etc) above that insert in the lower left of the pf. From what I understand is that the test is destructive to the clear over the insert. This way they don't ruin a pf just to test the clearcoat. Who cares if there is a scratch on that insert under the apron.

The other holes could just be for indexing the pf in the press that applies the dimples and holes to the backside, for indexing the silkscreen, etc. They may also be there for hanging the pf while spraying the clearcoat.

#10 11 years ago

Great explanation -- just what I was looking for!

#11 11 years ago

TAG manufactured that playfield, hence the TAG after the P/N
    LS = Lenc Smith
    SP = Sun Process

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

The insert is for testing the clear.

Mike - You should start a new thread to introduce yourself here, since you've been posting some good info.

#13 11 years ago

More info about all this is here: http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html

Everyone knows Mike

#14 11 years ago

Ah..my old Dr. Who, its's looking pretty good all torn down. Did you put the topper on it?
    Dan

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

More info about all this is here: http://www.flippers.be/pinball_playfields.html
    Everyone knows Mike

Informative link. Thanks.

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from Arcadedl:

Ah..my old Dr. Who, its's looking pretty good all torn down. Did you put the topper on it?
    Dan

Tore it down completely. Visited Allan for some white rubbers. Shining everything up. In the process of putting the puzzle back together now. Hope to play again tonight.

No topper yet.

#17 11 years ago

Shop job complete!

dwshopped.jpgdwshopped.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Lookin' good! Wanna trade it?

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from pzy:

Lookin' good! Wanna trade it?

Sure. Straight trade for TZ or ToM.

#20 11 years ago

I don't believe that all DW games had diamond plate on them, logo or not. I've got a DW playfield that is far too worn to have been diamond plated (it doesn't have the logo on it).

Generally most of the DW games I've seen without the logo tend to have a massive amount of wear between the flippers. I don't think that I have ever seen a DP logo DW games with that kind of wear.

While I'm aware of Aeneas' website detailing the history, I suspect that DW fits somewhere in the midst of all the changes between non-cleared and cleared playfields. Either that, or as Aeneas suggested, the non-logo playfields had the LS clearcoat which wasn't as good as the DP version.

So if you really have a non-DP logo DW playfield with no wear, it's quite a rarity!

Tony

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diamond-plate-without-logo-dr-who and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.