8902FCE9-8E6F-471C-B526-E1AA091D857D (resized).jpeg
7505325F-B4A6-4C38-B362-166E9499453C (resized).jpeg
56332680-E33C-4FC3-AAFC-9FA764491A77 (resized).jpeg
case-cables (resized).jpg
MSI-H81M-P33 Power (resized).jpg
25418484-7C32-47D7-B7C8-B1E566CDADD7 (resized).jpeg
MSI H81M-P33 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

Got the new video card. Got same symptoms as before
If I plug it in the motherboard slot and don’t even connect the phone VGA cable, the game won’t boot. Take it out and it does and the game plays normally but without the phone.
I am going to try it in a friend’s Dialed In just to confirm it works.
I guess what’s left is the motherboard. Can I get one of these off the shelf or do I have to get one through JJP (does the BIOS have to be specially set?)
It’s an msi h81m-p33

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

If I plug it in the motherboard slot and don’t even connect the phone VGA cable, the game won’t boot. Take it out and it does and the game plays normally but without the phone.
I am going to try it in a friend’s Dialed In just to confirm it works.
I guess what’s left is the motherboard. Can I get one of these off the shelf or do I have to get one through JJP (does the BIOS have to be specially set?)
It’s an msi h81m-p33

Well, that sucks. At least you're in the right area, now it's just an issue of the root cause (motherboard, power supply).

Did you check the BIOS settings for the integrated graphics? Maybe it's fighting with the expansion graphics card for vram.

You can get the motherboards off the shelf, but if you're replacing the motherboard, I'd see about a better motherboard/cpu combo to help with slowdown that may happen on the animations if the machine gets busy. The only thing you lose by buying off the shelf motherboard is the JJP graphic boot logo. You get the motherboard logo instead. But you save like $200 or more.

3 weeks later
#53 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Following up on this. What ended up being the problem? The motherboard? Power supply? Something else?

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Following up on this. What ended up being the problem? The motherboard? Power supply? Something else?

I confirmed it wasn’t the video card as it worked in another machine.
Now waiting on a new motherboard which is on a slow boat from China.
I’ll be sure to update when it arrives.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thanks for the update! Hopefully the motherboard takes care of it. If it doesn't, it HAS to be the power supply.

1 week later
#56 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

motherboards we bought local $69

#57 3 years ago

If that video card uses a separate power connector be sure and check that.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

At least delivery times between China and Australia seem to be on the improvement. Only 3 weeks for my last package.

Remember Paul at pinballsales is the distributor here for JJP as well so there is always that avenue.

Good luck with it.

2 weeks later
#59 3 years ago

New motherboard finally arrived and I installed it. I swapped the old processor into it as it didn't come with one.
Symptoms are exactly the same.
When the auxiliary video card is plugged into the slot, the main screen gets no signal and the game won't boot. It doesn't make any difference whether it is plugged into the phone cable or not.
When I remove the auxiliary video card the game loads on the main screen as normal (without the Jersey Jack logo). The game works except the Phone screen doesn't work as it's not plugged in.
To summarise what I've done:
- checked the voltages at JPWR1. All are slightly above spec (eg 5.10V).
- reseated connectors and used the DVI cable from my WOZ that goes to the big monitor.
- checked voltage at the main monitor: 12.2V
- tried a new SSD
- tried the SSD cable from my Wonka
- reinstalled v1.60 from a fresh USB
- tried my Wonka monitor in Dialed In
- tried the RAM from my Wonka in Dialed In
- pulled all 4 USB cables off the motherboard and tried booting - no good
- tried my aux video card in a friend's dialed in where it worked
- tried a new aux video card
- tried a new motherboard

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

New motherboard finally arrived and I installed it. I swapped the old processor into it as it didn't come with one.
Symptoms are exactly the same.
When the auxiliary video card is plugged into the slot, the main screen gets no signal and the game won't boot. It doesn't make any difference whether it is plugged into the phone cable or not.
When I remove the auxiliary video card the game loads on the main screen as normal (without the Jersey Jack logo). The game works except the Phone screen doesn't work as it's not plugged in.
To summarise what I've done:
- checked the voltages at JPWR1. All are slightly above spec (eg 5.10V).
- reseated connectors and used the DVI cable from my WOZ that goes to the big monitor.
- checked voltage at the main monitor: 12.2V
- tried a new SSD
- tried the SSD cable from my Wonka
- reinstalled v1.60 from a fresh USB
- tried my Wonka monitor in Dialed In
- tried the RAM from my Wonka in Dialed In
- pulled all 4 USB cables off the motherboard and tried booting - no good
- tried my aux video card in a friend's dialed in where it worked
- tried a new aux video card
- tried a new motherboard

So if it boots and runs fine without the aux video card installed, then that's dragging it down. When you say you tried a new aux card, was it the same card - by that I mean Nvidia cards, for example, definitely will not work. AMD ATI Radeon is the way to go.

#61 3 years ago

In despair I then went back to post #52 from PinMonk and read: “Did you check the BIOS settings for the integrated graphics? Maybe it's fighting with the expansion graphics card for vram.”

So I went into the settings, found the relevant bit and changed it....

Eureka! Success at last! After all the hardware changes it was a simple software change. Oh well at least I have a spare motherboard, SSD, video card in case any of them actually crap out one day!

Many thanks PinMonk (and others who’ve contributed suggestions).
Now to play a celebratory game after 52 long days...

8902FCE9-8E6F-471C-B526-E1AA091D857D (resized).jpeg8902FCE9-8E6F-471C-B526-E1AA091D857D (resized).jpeg9A89670E-C440-4129-A9CA-F8CE9C8ED67C (resized).jpeg9A89670E-C440-4129-A9CA-F8CE9C8ED67C (resized).jpeg
#62 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

In despair I then went back to post #52 from vireland and read: “Did you check the BIOS settings for the integrated graphics? Maybe it's fighting with the expansion graphics card for vram.”
Eureka! Success at last! After all the hardware changes it was a simple software change. Oh well at least I have a spare motherboard, SSD, video card in case any of them actually crap out one day!
Many thanks vireland (and others who’ve contributed suggestions).
Now to play a celebratory game after 52 long days...

Good Man!!

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

In despair I then went back to post #52 from vireland and read: “Did you check the BIOS settings for the integrated graphics? Maybe it's fighting with the expansion graphics card for vram.”
Many thanks vireland (and others who’ve contributed suggestions).
Now to play a celebratory game after 52 long days...[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, it's great you finally solved it, but such a drag it was such a long road. At least this is immortalized for anyone else who comes across the issue.

Thanks for following up and closing the issue out!

1 week later
#64 3 years ago

people change the cpu battery when game is off and it looses bios settings

also when the cpu battery dies it also looses bios settings

#65 3 years ago

The thing with the CMOS battery is a massive drawback. Jersey Jack at least should have provided all BIOS settings that differ from the default ones in the manual.

Does anybody have a list or screenshots of all necessary BIOS setting just in case this happens to DI owners in future again?

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

The thing with the CMOS battery is a massive drawback. Jersey Jack at least should have provided all BIOS settings that differ from the default ones in the manual.
Does anybody have a list or screenshots of all necessary BIOS setting just in case this happens to DI owners in future again?

Only one to worry about in most cases is power on after power fail needs to be enabled so it starts every time. In the case of DI sometimes you need to worry about the boot order but usually not.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Only one to worry about in most cases is power on after power fail needs to be enabled so it starts every time. In the case of DI sometimes you need to worry about the boot order but usually not.

Can you include all necessary information about the BIOS settings in the manual or at the DI section on your website?

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Can you include all necessary information about the BIOS settings in the manual or at the DI section on your website?

The info is pretty straightforward - most times you need that one bios setting to change if your battery dies.

#69 3 years ago

I’m not sure it’s that straightforward for the average Joe like me - as this thread proves! I could have saved hours of time and the expense of new hardware if there had been a quick troubleshooting guide on this issue on the website.

2 years later
#70 1 year ago

How does one get into the BIOS for Dialed In? I'm having the same issue on a friend's Dialed In, removing the video card for the phone allows the game to boot, but with it in it doesn't boot. I want to change the BIOS settings like dluth said on how he fixed it but I can not find the way to get in.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from Bservice776:

How does one get into the BIOS for Dialed In? I'm having the same issue on a friend's Dialed In, removing the video card for the phone allows the game to boot, but with it in it doesn't boot. I want to change the BIOS settings like dluth said on how he fixed it but I can not find the way to get in.

Connect a keyboard to the motherboard. Turn it on and tap the delete key a couple times every second until the BIOS settings come up.
If the delete key doesn't get you in there try escape, space, F12, F10. One of those is bound to work. It's an off the shelf motherboard.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Connect a keyboard to the motherboard. Turn it on and tap the delete key a couple times every second until the BIOS settings come up.
If the delete key doesn't get you in there try escape, space, F12, F10. One of those is bound to work. It's an off the shelf motherboard.

There's a password on the BIOS. It's qmodem, if I remember right, and it's case sensitive...

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's a password on the BIOS. It's qmodem, if I remember right, and it's case sensitive...

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Thanks for the info! I'll try the BIOS settings mentioned previously to see if that fixes it when I get a chance to get back over there

1 week later
#74 1 year ago

So I tried doing the exact same settings as the OP and I'm still having the issue. The graphics card for the phone is causing the game not to boot. Taking it out allows the game to boot. I did the exact settings as pictured but its still doing that.

When I have the card in and turn it on, it looks like it's trying to have the phone screen be the main display. The big screen just says "no signal" and then the JJ logo appears on the phone. Not sure what else to do

#75 1 year ago

Check the ATX power supply. If it's not supplying enough power under load it could cause this kind of issue from the extra power draw of the card. Early on, JJP wasn't using the best ATX power supplies and they were not super-long-lasting. They're mostly using Corsair now, which is an improvement, but still not fantastic, depending on who Corsair slapped their name on when JJP bought that month.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the ATX power supply. If it's not supplying enough power under load it could cause this kind of issue from the extra power draw of the card. Early on, JJP wasn't using the best ATX power supplies and they were not super-long-lasting. They're mostly using Corsair now, which is an improvement, but still not fantastic, depending on who Corsair slapped their name on when JJP bought that month.

Thanks for the reply, I actually did end up getting it to work via BIOS settings, it was just a different setting than what OP said fixed his issue

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from Bservice776:

Thanks for the reply, I actually did end up getting it to work via BIOS settings, it was just a different setting than what OP said fixed his issue

Great. Maybe take a screenshot of the setting for yours and post that so it's part of this thread when someone comes in with the issue later...
deputy-badge-pinside (resized).pngdeputy-badge-pinside (resized).png

#78 1 year ago

Late response and I don't have access to the game right now. But if anyone has the same problem, go into the integrated graphics section of the settings and then switch the first setting (primary monitor I believe) from PEG to the other option.

#79 1 year ago
Quoted from Bservice776:

Late response and I don't have access to the game right now. But if anyone has the same problem, go into the integrated graphics section of the settings and then switch the first setting (primary monitor I believe) from PEG to the other option.

Been having the exact same symptoms as spoken about on this thread for the past 3 weeks or so and tried replacement graphics card etc etc but this remedy from Bservice776 nailed it for me so super thanks for that. Not exactly sure how my Bios setting needed to be changed as I successfully replaced my back battery only 6 months ago so still plenty of back up power there……… quite bizarre ?? Anyways many thanks again

5 months later
#80 8 months ago

I just wanted to say looking at the first post I did not think this was my issue. But reading more, it was the exact issue I had. I unslotted the video card. Booted up into Bios with USB keyboard. Changed Intergrated Graphics from PEG to IGD. Put in new CMOS battery. Powered Down and put card back in slot. Everything booted up perfectly. This needs to be a service notice on JJP site.

1 month later
#81 7 months ago

Just had the exact same problem happen today with our DI. CMOS needed changed and changed the bios setting and it’s back up and running!!

Thank you so much for the feedback!!

1 week later
#82 6 months ago

I just went through this, a battery change, lost bios settings. I hooked a usb keyboard up to the motherboard, used the delete key on boot to get to the setup menu, password (if needed) is qmodem. Here are screenshots (in the proper order) to get it back to the proper settings. Note-the hard disk brand on yours may differ, so adjust for that.

IMG_1_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_1_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_2_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_2_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_3_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_3_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_5_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_5_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_4_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_4_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_6_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPGIMG_6_of_6_Dialed_In_BIOS_restore (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-wont-boot/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.