8902FCE9-8E6F-471C-B526-E1AA091D857D (resized).jpeg
7505325F-B4A6-4C38-B362-166E9499453C (resized).jpeg
56332680-E33C-4FC3-AAFC-9FA764491A77 (resized).jpeg
case-cables (resized).jpg
MSI-H81M-P33 Power (resized).jpg
25418484-7C32-47D7-B7C8-B1E566CDADD7 (resized).jpeg
MSI H81M-P33 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

My Dialed In won’t boot - no GI, nothing on the screens. The CPU fan is running so the jumper method of booting I don’t believe is needed.
The main screen just says no signal then goes blank. Now and then the phone screen has gone to the Ubuntu screen.
I’ve read various threads on here and ended up installing v1.60 from a USB. When I did this I could see the installation running with output on the phone screen. It then said installation completed. I took the USB out and restarted and got the screen below on the phone screen. Still nothing on the main screen. I’ve reseated USB cables and the DVI cable going to the big screen. No help.
If anyone could point me to what to do next that would be great thanks.
F4452093-991C-4AFB-BE13-8BD47F61CB84 (resized).jpegF4452093-991C-4AFB-BE13-8BD47F61CB84 (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Pressing F2 on my USB keyboard gets this screen - pressing enter on Ubuntu option and just blanks screens all round.

066536D8-8220-42AF-AB47-39AC09445A6A (resized).jpeg066536D8-8220-42AF-AB47-39AC09445A6A (resized).jpeg
#3 3 years ago

Try reseating the connectors on the computer in the backbox for the monitors. Looks like the main screen one isn't responding. Check the cable at the monitor, too. Looks like the motherboard has DVI and VGA output.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Try reseating the connectors on the computer in the backbox for the monitors. Looks like the main screen one isn't responding. Check the cable at the monitor, too. Is the monitor connection DVI or HDMI?

It’s DVI - I’ve reseated both ends.
Would a problem with this connection stop the whole machine booting?
I’ve got a Wonka and a WOZ RR so I could maybe try the cable from those if there’s a chance the cable’s bad (though Wonka is probably HDMI)

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

It’s DVI - I’ve reseated both ends.
Would a problem with this connection stop the whole machine booting?
I’ve got a Wonka and a WOZ RR so I could maybe try the cable from those if there’s a chance the cable’s bad (though Wonka is probably HDMI)

Is it using the built-in DVI or an expansion video card? It's been done both ways.

Also, what motherboard is in it? Maybe resetting the CMOS would fix it. How long was it off?

Another thought is maybe your power supply is failing. Not enough power will give inconsistent boot results. Do you have a multimeter to check output from it?

#6 3 years ago

Umm here’s a pic if that helps. The monitor DVI is the one under the fan.
How do I reset the CMOS?

(sorry I’m no techie)

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Umm here’s a pic if that helps. The monitor DVI is the one under the fan.
How do I reset the CMOS?
(sorry I’m no techie)
[quoted image]

This is an MSI H81M-P33.

Thinking about it some more, I doubt clearing the CMOS will help. I think the power supply is the first thing to check.

Nevertheless, JBAT1 is the one you want to short together (while the power is off) to clear the CMOS settings if you want to try it anyway.
MSI H81M-P33 (resized).jpgMSI H81M-P33 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

I took out the 3V battery to check it and it was good. Next power up took me to the BIOS settings and from there back to where I was. The Jersey Jack sign comes up on the phone, “no signal” on the monitor...then blank screens all round

Oh and my machine had been working fine - was turned off for about a week then I moved it about 3 metres to reposition it.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I took out the 3V battery to check it and it was good. Next power up took me to the BIOS settings and from there back to where I was. The Jersey Jack sign comes up on the phone, “no signal” on the monitor...then blank screens all round

You don't have a multimeter to check the power supply output (or even a spare ATX power supply you can try)?

#10 3 years ago

Yes I have a multimeter - could you suggest where to check exactly? Im testing for DC I assume?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes I have a multimeter - could you suggest where to check exactly? Im testing for DC I assume?

Edit: I’m guessing here at JPWR1

25418484-7C32-47D7-B7C8-B1E566CDADD7 (resized).jpeg25418484-7C32-47D7-B7C8-B1E566CDADD7 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes, where the ATX power supply connects at JPWR1, jam the multimeter black wire probe into the back of the connector (where the wire comes out) to any of the ground blocks (15, 17, 18, 19, 24, etc), then probe the back of the connectors listed on this diagram with the red probe and see if any power looks out of spec.

MSI-H81M-P33 Power (resized).jpgMSI-H81M-P33 Power (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

All voltages checked out good.

#14 3 years ago

Okay, well, back to cables.

It looks like you have three video cables. A DVI at 1, a VGA at 2, and I *think* (from that angle) a VGA at 3. Where do those go?

case-cables (resized).jpgcase-cables (resized).jpg
#15 3 years ago

3 goes to the phone, 2 goes to the Theater and 1 to the monitor
I’ve checked the connections at both ends and reseated them

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

3 goes to the phone, 2 goes to the Theater and 1 to the monitor
I’ve checked the connections at both ends and reseated them

Do you have another DVI cable you can try to eliminate the cable as the problem?

Also, maybe check the power going to the monitor to make sure it's not low?

#17 3 years ago

Yes tried the DVI cable from my WOZ. No change.
Voltage at the DC connection of the main monitor is 12.2V.
It says “no signal” for a few seconds after I turn on the machine.

#18 3 years ago

I'm out of ideas. This is a weird one. Maybe someone else can chime in that's had something like this happen. When you get it resolved, be sure to post so it's here for posterity...

#19 3 years ago

Sounds like the system is simply not booting or not getting far into the boot up. Seen this on a pinball 2000 system some time ago. I would try and reseat those two dimm memory modules.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm out of ideas. This is a weird one. Maybe someone else can chime in that's had something like this happen. When you get it resolved, be sure to post so it's here for posterity...

Thanks for your help mate. I’ll put in a ticket with JJP - but that can be a lengthy process from experience. I’ll certainly post the eventual solution here - thanks again.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thanks for your help mate. I’ll put in a ticket with JJP - but that can be a lengthy process from experience. I’ll certainly post the eventual solution here - thanks again.

One last thing to try - if you have a spare SSD you might try mirroring your SSD to a new one, then re-installing the software again with a full install on the new one. If the SSD is going bad, maybe it's taking out files in the boot process.

#22 3 years ago

That is an operating system error that Ubuntu is throwing. My initial thoughts are it is either a corrupted install of v1.60, loose / bad SATA cable or a bad SSD. Try re-seating the cable that connects the SSD to the motherboard on both ends. Next wipe the USB stick and try the whole install process again. If you continue to get errors, I would lean towards one of those components being bad.

#23 3 years ago

LTG can help to get your JJP ticket in motion.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

That is an operating system error that Ubuntu is throwing. My initial thoughts are it is either a corrupted install of v1.60, loose / bad SATA cable or a bad SSD. Try re-seating the cable that connects the SSD to the motherboard on both ends. Next wipe the USB stick and try the whole install process again. If you continue to get errors, I would lean towards one of those components being bad.

I used the SSD cable from my Wonka and that didn’t make any difference. Also reinstalled 1.60 from a fresh USB and it installed correctly as reported on the phone but on restarting got the same blank screens and no boot. Could be a bad SSD I guess. Can I get one of these off the shelf or would I have to go through JJP?

56332680-E33C-4FC3-AAFC-9FA764491A77 (resized).jpeg56332680-E33C-4FC3-AAFC-9FA764491A77 (resized).jpeg
#25 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

LTG can help to get your JJP ticket in motion.

Send him a message.

#26 3 years ago

Will do

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I used the SSD cable from my Wonka and that didn’t make any difference. Also reinstalled 1.60 from a fresh USB and it installed correctly as reported on the phone but on restarting got the same blank screens and no boot. Could be a bad SSD I guess. Can I get one of these off the shelf or would I have to go through JJP?[quoted image]

SSDs are dirt cheap now. You can get a 500GB for $40-50USD here. I'm really thinking it's the SSD. What else is there that hasn't been checked?

I'm not sure about using a fresh SSD and installing from usb, but if that's didn't work, you can image the bad SSD to the new SSD and then do a fresh USB install and it should overwrite all the bad stuff.

#28 3 years ago

A full install stick should setup a new SSD just fine.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

A full install stick should setup a new SSD just fine.

Awesome, thanks for verifying.

Quoted from dluth:

Can I get one of these off the shelf or would I have to go through JJP?[quoted image]

So, yeah, now that it's verified a new off-the-shelf SSD works, that's definitely what I'd do. Get a cheap SSD somewhere in Melbourne or off the back of a truck, do a fresh install and see if you're back in business.

#30 3 years ago

Thanks guys, will give it a go.
Hard to find stuff off the back of a truck during our lockdown @vireland! Click and collect only

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thanks guys, will give it a go.
Hard to find stuff off the back of a truck during our lockdown vireland! Click and collect only

Ah, right. I forgot you had a resurgence and they locked you down again. Well, get a new SSD safely and then try a full install.

#32 3 years ago

Well, got my new SSD, made a new USB boot stick and it installed ok. Then same issue, main monitor dead, saying ‘no signal’ briefly.
The thing is the installation data appears on the phone screen (as before) - it should be on the main monitor shouldn’t it?
I wonder if it’s worth me trying my Wonka screen in it’s place - maybe there’s a problem with the monitor?

#33 3 years ago

I had a similar problem with my RR WOZ when I first got it. JJP was stumped. I just decided to start checking all the connections because it didn't make sense to me either. What mine was is one of the USB cables was bad(cheap). I was shocked when it worked but its been great since then. It was getting to a boot section ( I assume when the USB comes up) and would error out. Worth a shot if you have some other USB cables sitting around. Good luck with the fix.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Well, got my new SSD, made a new USB boot stick and it installed ok. Then same issue, main monitor dead, saying ‘no signal’ briefly.
The thing is the installation data appears on the phone screen (as before) - it should be on the main monitor shouldn’t it?
I wonder if it’s worth me trying my Wonka screen in it’s place - maybe there’s a problem with the monitor?

If they're next to each other you can just drape the cable over.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If they're next to each other you can just drape the cable over.

Wasn’t hard to remove it, just 4 bolts.
Didn’t work anyway
I’ll see if I can check the USB cables as per Des above.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Wasn’t hard to remove it, just 4 bolts.
Didn’t work anyway
I’ll see if I can check the USB cables as per Des above.

Yeah, given that he had a similar problem and that's how he solved it, checking all the USB connections and then swapping out cables seems like a good course of action.

#37 3 years ago

On second thought, before I go buying cables, I checked the schematics. The UBS cables from the CPU go to:
1. camera
2. BAG controller under the playfield (lighting)
3. USB extension cable to front of cabinet
4. mini USB to I/O board

I can't see how any of these if faulty would be the cause for it not to boot, and for no information to get to the main monitor?

I have also replaced the RAM with RAM from my Wonka. No dice.

I'm getting annoyed now

#38 3 years ago

Pull all 4 USB cables off of the motherboard. Disconnect them and then see if the game boots without any of them connected. Of course you’ll have no lights or anything but if it boots up okay, power off, add the I/o board usb back in. Power up again. If it boots, add the BAG board. Try again. And so on. See if something such as the camera is stopping it from booting properly. I’ve seen that before as have others.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I'm getting annoyed now

Look at all this holiday weekend support you're getting, though!

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Pull all 4 USB cables off of the motherboard. Disconnect them and then see if the game boots without any of them connected. Of course you’ll have no lights or anything but if it boots up okay, power off, add the I/o board usb back in. Power up again. If it boots, add the BAG board. Try again. And so on. See if something such as the camera is stopping it from booting properly. I’ve seen that before as have others.

Pulled all 4 and no dice.
Got a message on the phone I haven’t seen before.
I’ve put a video on YouTube to show what’s happening.

This is with the new SSD (128GB) and 1.60 code loaded onto a 32GB UBS following the JJP instructions.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Look at all this holiday weekend support you're getting, though!

And it’s much appreciated thanks! I feel like I’ve learnt a lot and closer to the end than the beginning and eliminated a lot of stuff. Just waiting for the fix!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Pulled all 4 and no dice.
Got a message on the phone I haven’t seen before.
I’ve put a video on YouTube to show what’s happening.
This is with the new SSD (128GB) and 1.60 code loaded onto a 32GB UBS following the JJP instructions.

Looking at some Ubuntu documentation, that error message means the grubenv file is > 1024 bytes, which is apparently a no-no.

There's a boot repair utility you can put on a bootable USB (same way you make a full bootable WoZ install USB) and use that to fix a hard drive Ubuntu install that won't boot. Maybe worth a shot?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

#43 3 years ago

Thanks, maybe I’ll try a fresh USB stick first and new download first and re-install and see if that message comes back as it’s the first time it’s come up.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Thanks, maybe I’ll try a fresh USB stick first and new download first and re-install and see if that message comes back as it’s the first time it’s come up.

But that was the first time you booted with no USB cables installed, right? That seems most likely to have sent the boot in that direction.

You might also want to try removing the add-on video card and see if that changes the boot.

#45 3 years ago

Yes that’s true. Where’s the add on video card - is that on the right side (picture in your post #14?)

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes that’s true. Where’s the add on video card - is that on the right side (picture in your post #14?)

Yes, the one next to the "3" in my picture. You might need to push a plastic tab at the bottom where the expansion slot is (at the inside edge of the slot) to release the card from the slot. You should be able to leave the other video cable attached to the case, and just release the expansion port it's plugged into from the card by taking off the ribbon cable at the top of the card that it connects to.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, the one next to the "3" in my picture. You might need to push a plastic tab at the bottom where the expansion slot is (at the inside edge of the slot) to release the card from the slot. You should be able to leave the other video cable attached to the case, and just release the expansion port it's plugged into from the card by taking off the ribbon cable at the top of the card that it connects to.

Getting somewhere!
Now to plug the USBs in one by one as Pinballomatic mentioned, and lastly the video card.
I’m excited to see it boot at last!

7505325F-B4A6-4C38-B362-166E9499453C (resized).jpeg7505325F-B4A6-4C38-B362-166E9499453C (resized).jpeg
#48 3 years ago

Ok it seems it’s the auxiliary video card. When I remove it, I get a full boot (with no phone of course). If I put it back, it fails.
Many thanks for your help and patience @vireland, it’s a relief to find the culprit.
So I should just buy a new one and slot it in? I’ve reseated it and made sure it’s fully locked in but that didn’t help.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Ok it seems it’s the auxiliary video card. When I remove it, I get a full boot (with no phone of course). If I put it back, it fails.
Many thanks for your help and patience vireland, it’s a relief to find the culprit.
So I should just buy a new one and slot it in? I’ve reseated it and made sure it’s fully locked in but that didn’t help.

Yeah, those are cheap cards. Just make sure it's in the same family (Nvidia or AMD, I don't know which they use) and that should work.

Glad it's FINALLY been figured out. Three last tests:

1. Put the card in without connecting the aux video jack the other cable is connected to (so it's just the card) which will eliminate the video cable as the problem.

2. Check the BIOS settings for video card(s) and shared ram/allocated video ram. Maybe your CMOS died and when you reset they're fighting over shared VRAM.

3. When you put in the new card - if it fails again, it may be a motherboard problem with that slot or power regulation.

But at least you're finally in the right area for the root problem.

JJP, you need to bookmark this thread. I doubt this is the last time you'll see this issue.

#50 3 years ago

As far as I know, DI uses an ATI 6450 with active cooling. Not easy to find these days. But as mentioned in case of a failure it’s always good to have a spare main oard and graphics card...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-wont-boot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.