Dialed In Wireform Design

By snaroff

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Would you pay for a wireform upgrade if it nailed the 2 issues detailed in this post?”

• Yes. 14 votes
    17%
  • No. I expect JJP to upgrade the customer base for free. 23 votes
    28%
  • Don't care. The wireform shoots fine for me. 44 votes
    54%

(81 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 4.22.14 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 4.17.18 PM (resized).png
wireform (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 4.26.23 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 4.25.57 PM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Why would anyone pay to replace an already correctly functioning part. There's nothing wrong with it bouncing up the ramp occasionally. The bounce out is rare, and there is a fix for it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

For my machine, the bouncing up is frequent...not occasional.
As I said in my original post, the frequency of this happening is directly related to the ball speed. Sounds like my machine shoots faster than yours. My coil settings are 100% default from factory. No doubt dialing down my flippers would diminish the ball bounce.

Precisely my point. The Borg/AS wireform design is arguably more robust and was designed to handle balls traveling at high speeds.
At the moment, 42% would like to see the wireform improved to better handle balls traveling at high speeds.
Thanks to the 33 folks that participated in the poll!
snaroff

Bouncing back up the ramp isn't a problem, you may find it an annoyance, but it's not a problem. Falling of the ramp is a problem (the few times it happens) and they have a fix for it already.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Again, I view it differently. Here's my perspective...
If 1 out of 100 balls fall off the ramp, it's not a big deal. So the fix they've come up with doesn't impact me, since it happens so infrequently on my machine.
If 1 of 3 balls bounces (as shown in the video), it's a constant annoyance that disturbs the otherwise awesome flow of this game.
If you aren't willing to acknowledge the Borg/AS wireform design is more robust again drains/bounces, then I don't know what else to say!
snaroff

If the ball goes up the ramp, then winds up in the in lane where it's supposed to be it's working. Your annoyance isn't relevant. There is no reason for JJP to replace functioning parts for anyone just because they are annoyed with it. If it was failing that's a different story. It is not failing. These are mechanical items, if your want everything to be the same every time play virtual pinball. Variance and inconsistency, with working items, is part of pinball.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have to give you one thing...you are tenacious!
Using your argument above, the following would also be considered acceptable since the ball didn't actually fall off the ramp.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dJ058xyJRiHDa
snaroff

That parts in the game were completely acceptable. You hacked the ramp to make it function rather than fixing it right. But no new parts were needed.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

How is the fix not right when it was suggested by Pat Lawlor, the games designer? Do you think Pat/JJP asked me the "hack" the ramp because they changed the ramp and don't want to send me a new one? When I was getting JJP's help on the issue back in November, you weighed in and were consistently wrong...arguing the switches were somehow responsible (which I disproved pretty quickly).
If it isn't obvious, these are rhetorical questions. Please don't feel compelled to answer.
snaroff

Drilling a new hole in the ramp and forcing it into another position is a hack regardless if Pat or Steven Hawking suggested it. They didn't change the ramp design in just your game it's the same as the rest that that quirk fine. You found a way to mask, rather than fix, the real issue. The only think you proved was you'd rather hack your game than fix it right. I feel sorry for whoever gets your game later.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have no plans to sell Dialed In, but I've sold many games over the years and have never had one unhappy customer. Not one. Some of the most critical players/collectors on both coasts have played my games and always comment on the beauty, condition, and gameplay.
Listen, the poll speaks for itself...46% of owners care about the wireform design issues. I'm not alone.
Is it practical to expect a DI wireform rework to avoid the issues I've outlined? Maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to point out that Stern designers figured out how to solve these problems. From my perspective, the plastic cage is a half-hearted, stop-gap solution.
At a minimum, I'm hopeful JJP will improve the wireform design in their next pinball!
snaroff

It shows 17% of the respondents no one knows if they are owners) are whiny, 29% will take anything free (these would generally never get installed), and 53% just play the game. None of these can be configured to own the game even. It also shows that less than 10% of game owners bothered to reply at all.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You made your point. Move on.

No, who the f are you to tell me what to do?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

He's right. I refuse to get nasty with you, since last time the Pinside moderators stepped in.
I have respect for this forum. Now you need to show a little respect and move on. It's my post and your voice has been heard.
snaroff

I'll move on when you do, when you find something you don't like and stop calling it a design flaw that need to be fixed.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I would be irritated by that, and I would be looking for a solution. Smooth shooting games deserve smooth functioning ramp exits. Marvin seems to be in "defender" mode, and refuses to see anything outside of this lens.

Not a defender at all. They need to finish the animations that they have said should be in the game. They should correct the production flaw (not design) of the trap door assembly. They need to install the wiring for crazy Bob sign correctly, and probably shift it but that's aesthetic s. Thing like this are easy fixes, but shouldn't get off the production floor in bunches as they have been. the game design is excellent. They do need a few adjustments in production though.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

someone who is speaking for everyone who sees how annoying and close-minded you are.
If the OP feels he has an issue, who are you to tell him he doesn't? He spent a lot of money on this game and he's entitled to have an option on how it should play. you are also entitled to your opinion and you shared it (numerous times) so move on! no one wants to read your nonsense anymore.

He can be unhappy with it all he wants, that still does not make it a bad design that needs to be re-engineered and exchanged. I'm tired oh his whining and closed mindedness so he should just move in. Isn't this a discussion forum? It don't work that way.

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

And it would be nice if we got the hard copy of the owner's manual that they promised as well.

Someday...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider marvin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-wireform-design?tu=marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.