(Topic ID: 222215)

Dialed In VS WH20.....

By delt31

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is a better game - DI or WH20”

• Dialed In 98 votes
      68%
    • White Water 46 votes
      32%

(144 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Yikes. Tough comparison because they’re two completely different experiences.

Uniqueness? Man... I think they both deliver that in spades.

Gameplay? If you were to strip away the rules and go solely on how the shots feel, I think it might be a draw. They both have a ton of good feeling shots.

Rules? DI. No question. Tons to do, lots of nostalgia, clever risks and rewards. Mate that with a brilliant layout, and it only gets better for the game.

Sound/music: WH2O wins, without pause. Sure, the quality is better on DI, but it was my biggest personal disappointment with the game. I really wanted to hear some tasty Chris Granner licks and tunes on the game. Instead, we got an understated soundtrack that feels really lackluster to me. The compounding raft tunes of white water has unmatched depth and breadth for a Pinball soundtrack, even by today’s standards.

DI is a Pat Lawlor masterpiece, imho. It’ll keep your interest longer, it’s got a ton to do, it’s got really good flow, tons of toys and technology, comparing it to WH2O is like comparing an EM to a solid state game.

I know I’ll never give up my WH2O, but I’d probably sell every other game in my collection to finance a DI. I’ve thought about it more than once.

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

too. I also don't get the shallow thing

Same. People want deeper and deeper game experiences, but you then get to a certain point where the player just gets completely lost in the rules, and has no idea what to do or where to go next, and you lose the whole essence of Pinball that way.

Saying a game is not good because the rules are too shallow is like saying the first super Mario game on the NES is bad because the only thing to do is to jump and run to the right.

There’s something delightful about simple rules. Make your way down the river. Get to wet willies, ride the whirlpool, save the dude who just fell overboard, and get called a wiener by the game.

HOWEVER, I do think that Dialed In does a good job at keeping things tangible for the player, though maybe that’s because I’m familiar with Lawlorisms, and DI is really no different than his previous games. I know people like the mega depth of LOTR and TSPP, but to me, it’s too much. I just don’t want to stand at a table and grind for 30 minutes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-vs-wh20?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.