8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by MEuRaH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is a better game - DI or WH20”

• Dialed In 96 votes
      69%
    • White Water 43 votes
      31%

(139 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 months ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If I could have a NIB WH20 or NIB DI, easy choice for me - WH20.
    It's just more fun.

Agreed, it's an easy choice for me too. I also don't get the shallow thing. Getting vacation jackpot is F-ing hard! There's always something to left to do, some very meaningful shot to hit next. Maybe they mean that it's too easy to understand? Certainly not that it's too simple and easy to beat? The rules make you hit every shot on the playfield at different times AND makes them valuable. There are also great rules in place for spotting hazard shots that are difficult to hit like the boulder garden shot. If you're smart, when to stack your 5x. And when or when not to start the multiball. It's got great risk/reward stuff too, especially with the extra ball shot, and the stand ups to light locks. Cooler sounds and music, better art, better theme, better combos and flow, better toys and ramps.

#52 8 months ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Agreed, it's an easy choice for me too. I also don't get the shallow thing. Getting vacation jackpot is F-ing hard! There's always something to left to do, some very meaningful shot to hit next. Maybe they mean that it's too easy to understand? Certainly not that it's too simple and easy to beat? The rules make you hit every shot on the playfield at different times AND makes them valuable. There are also great rules in place for spotting hazard shots that are difficult to hit like the boulder garden shot. If you're smart, when to stack your 5x. And when or when not to start the multiball. It's got great risk/reward stuff too, especially with the extra ball shot, and the stand ups to light locks. Cooler sounds and music, better art, better theme, better combos and flow, better toys and ramps.

These are good points. White Water is one of those games that is greater than the sum of the parts. The shots and flow keep me coming back, probably more so than the rule set.

Dialed In is a fun game, too. I just really can't get over the theme, art, and mild-mannered call outs. It's on my watch list to buy at a good price, but it's hard to justify a top dollar game like that for something that doesn't fully fire on all cylinders for me.

#53 8 months ago

Easy choice for me: wh20

One of the coolest pins ever made, entirely unique, awesome sound, understandable and achievable rules... simply one of pinball's best (IMO of course).

Have played DI about 20 times. And while I recognize my impressions could be based on the specific games/environments I played the game in, it didn't exactly grab me.

#54 8 months ago

I want both. Then again, I want them ALL.

#55 8 months ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

too. I also don't get the shallow thing

Same. People want deeper and deeper game experiences, but you then get to a certain point where the player just gets completely lost in the rules, and has no idea what to do or where to go next, and you lose the whole essence of Pinball that way.

Saying a game is not good because the rules are too shallow is like saying the first super Mario game on the NES is bad because the only thing to do is to jump and run to the right.

There’s something delightful about simple rules. Make your way down the river. Get to wet willies, ride the whirlpool, save the dude who just fell overboard, and get called a wiener by the game.

HOWEVER, I do think that Dialed In does a good job at keeping things tangible for the player, though maybe that’s because I’m familiar with Lawlorisms, and DI is really no different than his previous games. I know people like the mega depth of LOTR and TSPP, but to me, it’s too much. I just don’t want to stand at a table and grind for 30 minutes.

#56 8 months ago

+1 on that you really cannot compare these games as equals. DI is fantastic as a modern game with a ton of features. WH20 is a great classic with a lot of character and nostalgia. DI is really designed to be a premium game and a whole lot more expensive. For the same money, you could get WH20 and another great game. Although, WH20 prices are going up pretty fast. I would love to have either game but prices make it difficult. If money not an issue than get both.

#57 8 months ago

I own both and both are keepers for me. I think they are both all time greats.

#58 8 months ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

So people vote for it simply because they spent a bunch of money on it? I don't agree with that...

That's cool to disagree. Just my opinion after seeing new game after new game drop here and the people that go crazy over them.

Quoted from RonSS:

If the game were just so-so, I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

Quoted from bigd1979:

Its also a excellent pin...

I know, I own one and it's great.

#59 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Haha that would be a very well supported argument.
    I'm actually picking up DI today as the kids have been asking for it over anything else and I miss mine. I wouldn't be surprised if I circle back and grab a wh20 as it does have heart, unique layout and a great look (although I like the topper I'm not in the camp of best ever about it like others).
    Question is what game would I let go for it? Tron, IJTPA, SS. Tough crowd. Easy answer there is tron but damn it I love that game for some reason. That left flipper and some unique shots over the top sounds and music and mine is a looker. First world problems!

SS. Excluding spider mb, that game is super shallow and doesnt have the legs to stand against the other 2 listed.

#60 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

SS. Excluding spider mb, that game is super shallow and doesnt have the legs to stand against the other 2 listed.

100 on this.

#61 8 months ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Not only that, but people would pay a ridiculous amount of money for it. I think it's only a matter of time until the price on this machine drops drastically. Sell high!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 150.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Lit Frames
    $ 93.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 209.99
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 42.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 139.00
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.95
    $ 27.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    € 8.40
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside