8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by MEuRaH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is a better game - DI or WH20”

• Dialed In 96 votes
      69%
    • White Water 43 votes
      31%

(139 votes)

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 months ago

You know I love these types of topics.....I recently made one pitting Wh20 with ToM and it was a beatdown for White Water. I was actually surprised about how easily it won. I present Wh20 challenge #2 - DI.

What are you thoughts? DI is the deeper game, more toys, prettier but a little more expensive. WH20 has that charm, prob more unique? Thoughts?

I'm leaning towards DI....although would try out WH20 too (as I'm currently lining up a trade/cash for either my TnA or AFMr.....so reach out if interested - no final confirmation yet!)

#2 8 months ago

To totally different pins but dile is just newer with so much more going on with the 3 lcds, rgb lights, 5 magnets, great code and so much more.
    Wh20 has a charm no doubt but its limitations bc of when it was made make it get old pretty quickly ...at least for me. It has great ramps , humor, awesome topper, decent code with home rom, neat /funny bigfoot toy . The shots are pretty limited imo which is y i got rid of it pretty quickly for me lol. Id like to own it again at least for few months but the prices seem to have went crazy and im.not sure its fun factor matches .

#3 8 months ago

Dialed In for sure. I love me some whitewater (I’ve owned 4 of them over the years), but it’s 2018 and some newer titles are really upping what’s fun in the pinball world.

#4 8 months ago

HEP just finished a WH20 for me and I have a DICE. I wouldn’t sell either one. They are both really unique and totally different from one another.
    Dialed In shoots and flows so smooth and WH20 has incredible ramps and humor.

If it came down to it, I would give the edge to DI. If possible, get both, and sell two others.

#5 8 months ago

Yikes. Tough comparison because they’re two completely different experiences.

Uniqueness? Man... I think they both deliver that in spades.

Gameplay? If you were to strip away the rules and go solely on how the shots feel, I think it might be a draw. They both have a ton of good feeling shots.

Rules? DI. No question. Tons to do, lots of nostalgia, clever risks and rewards. Mate that with a brilliant layout, and it only gets better for the game.

Sound/music: WH2O wins, without pause. Sure, the quality is better on DI, but it was my biggest personal disappointment with the game. I really wanted to hear some tasty Chris Granner licks and tunes on the game. Instead, we got an understated soundtrack that feels really lackluster to me. The compounding raft tunes of white water has unmatched depth and breadth for a Pinball soundtrack, even by today’s standards.

DI is a Pat Lawlor masterpiece, imho. It’ll keep your interest longer, it’s got a ton to do, it’s got really good flow, tons of toys and technology, comparing it to WH2O is like comparing an EM to a solid state game.

I know I’ll never give up my WH2O, but I’d probably sell every other game in my collection to finance a DI. I’ve thought about it more than once.

#6 8 months ago

thanks - I agree they are both solid and I could prob get both but the problem is one more of mine would need to go. Only 5 slots. That means CQ SS, CQ IJTPA or CQ Tron would need to leave - not sure I can let any of those go!

#7 8 months ago

Hit me up if you ever change your mind about that Indy

#8 8 months ago

I own/love both. Won't vote because the notion of "which is the better game" is odd when comparing games with a 30 year age difference. I play my DILE much more than WH20, but that doesn't imply it's a better game.

snaroff

#10 8 months ago

I own both, neither will be leaving anytime soon...

#11 8 months ago

Own both and couldn't say which

#12 8 months ago

Whitewater by many miles. This is an all time classic and one of a kind.

#13 8 months ago

IMO Dialed In is the better game, though Whitewater is fun.

I did a search on "Dialed In vs" and it wins just about every poll. Can't say the same about Whitewater.

#14 8 months ago

Dialed In by a landslide imo.

WH2O is shallow in the rules department even for a game of its vintage.

I enjoyed WH2O while I had it (not saying it's a bad game by any means) but it got old really quick. Not to mention it used to be a low end B-list pin, and at that price it was more justifiable.

#15 8 months ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

I did a search on "Dialed In vs" and it wins just about every poll. Can't say the same about Whitewater.

Well as you know people have a hard time putting down the brand new 8k game they just bought.

#16 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well as you know people have a hard time putting down the brand new 8k game they just bought.

Its also a excellent pin... even after a year of ownership and thousands of plays...its as good as it was day 1. Thats when i know its a top pin as i usually get bored within 3-4 months.

#17 8 months ago

Price probably dictates the winner here.
    DI is roughly double the price of WH2o... but the real question, is DI double the fun of a wh20??? Probably not to most.

For the cost of a DI, i would rather buy a wh20 and a Shadow.

This or that?!? SDTM (Zach/Bone)

#18 8 months ago

I've played both machines, maybe 2 times each, so limited exposure to both.

WH2O just didn't grab me. It flowed nicely, but meh. I'd try to own one for a while if it were in the 2/3k area maybe.

DILE drew me in immediately. I couldn't wait to play it again. I'd love to own one, but 8k is just too steep an entry price for me.

So let me balance the scales a little, if both games were remakes by the same company, and cost the same (let's say $6,000), which would you buy?

For me, it would be DI.

#19 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

So people vote for it simply because they spent a bunch of money on it? I don't agree with that. Hobbit cost a lot of money too, at least it does when purchased new, and it doesn't do well in polls.

Dialed In is a really great game, and I feel like it will always be near the top of popularity polls.

#20 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

If the game were just so-so, I'd agree with you, but it isn't.

#21 8 months ago
    Quoted from RJW:

I enjoyed WH2O while I had it (not saying it's a bad game by any means) but it got old really quick. Not to mention it used to be a low end B-list pin, and at that price it was more justifiable.

God I wish that every felt like this again. Missed the boat on being able to afford my dream game.

#22 8 months ago
    Quoted from RJW:

Dialed In by a landslide imo.

WH2O is shallow in the rules department even for a game of its vintage.

God, I wish everyone felt like this again. Sad to have missed the boat on being able to afford my dream pin.

#23 8 months ago

Haven’t played enough DI yet just a couple of games and it’s definitely a top game but Wh20 is my favorite so yea it’s gonna have to be something special to beat the bowling Bigfoot

#24 8 months ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Price probably dictates the winner here.
    DI is roughly double the price of WH2o... but the real question, is DI double the fun of a wh20??? Probably not to most.
    For the cost of a DI, i would rather buy a wh20 and a Shadow.
    This or that?!? SDTM (Zach/Bone)

Not double anymore..... nice wh20 5-6k or more and nice dile 7500-8200.....

#25 8 months ago

Interestingly enough, I took a small trip to Boston and wandered into the Down The Road Beer Co, where they have about 20 pins on site. They have these two machines sitting right next to each other. I played DI before but not WW... anyway....

I've never played a WW before, and this one was in pristine condition. I took pictures and just stared at it when I finally got in front of it. It's not my white whale but it was close (Scared Stiff is, which they also had but it was OUT OF ORDER!) I was very excited to play a game of WW, but after about 10-15 minutes..... I could take it or leave it. I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I hit everything I wanted, I got multiball, I made it down the awesome ramp on the left side... maybe it was too easy? I left disappointed and I didn't care if I never returned to it.

I originally played Dialed In at The Sanctum in CT. I was also excited to play it and couldn't believe that I actually got to do so. It drew me right in and I couldn't get enough of it. I probably played that game 10 times over the course of the day. I was at The Sanctum for a tournament, and I was actually happy I got knocked out because then I could go play more DI, lol. I stayed there until they told me I had to leave. I thought about it 24/7 when I left, and then had the pleasure of playing another one in Montreal @ The North Star. Again, it drew me right in, and I enjoyed the heck out of it with a big smile on my face. Satisfying shots, lots of toys and gimmicks, and a challenging ruleset. When you finally get a sim card... there's almost no other feeling in pinball quite like it. And to activate the big bang when you need to complete a mode? AWESOME!

I just bought a DI a month ago and couldn't be happier. It's the greatest machine I've ever played. I love it, no regrets.

Happy it's not a WW.

#26 8 months ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

So people vote for it simply because they spent a bunch of money on it? I don't agree with that.

Hell yeah they do. It's human nature.

#27 8 months ago

Dialed In is a lot more dymanic and has a whole lot more in overall variety. White Water is pretty straightforward, but that's not a bad thing. I owned a White Water for a long time and always enjoyed it, but there were really two things to go after: vacation jackpot or a 5X playfield multiball. While both were challenging, I eventually got my fill of both and moved the game out. I wouldn't be against owning one again in the future though.

They're both great. I just personally prefer Dialed In more. Both are extremely satisfying to play, however. Nobody would be upset by owning either.

#28 8 months ago

Can you explain how DI is dynamic (which would infer you can play it in different ways). When I play it in going phone mode then repeat....

#29 8 months ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

God, I wish everyone felt like this again. Sad to have missed the boat on being able to afford my dream pin.

If you were to look in the Mr Pinball Price Guide from the mid 2000's you'd see that even No Fear was listed as worth slightly more money than Whitewater.

I know the guide isn't the gospel but it gives you a rough idea what games are in the same price range.

#30 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Can you explain how DI is dynamic (which would infer you can play it in different ways). When I play it in going phone mode then repeat....

The modes themselves are pretty varied, but there's a lot of side stuff in the game that you really don't get into until you've played it quite a bit. Here's a good rulesheet that shows you how much there is to work on: http://tiltforums.com/t/dialed-in-rulesheet-wiki/2855

But even if you just chase phone modes, there's a lot there to see. The modes themselves are fairly clever in their designs.

#31 8 months ago

Yeah I hear you..... That was one of the things that concerned be when I owned my first one... Was hoping updated code helped a little

Btw another DI beatdown

#32 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I hear you..... That was one of the things that concerned be when I owned my first one... Was hoping updated code helped a little
    Btw another DI beatdown

There are people who will vote DI by default no matter what the match up is, but I get it in this instance. White Water is fantastic though. Hard not to love that game.

#33 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Btw another DI beatdown

Next beatdown, F14 vs DI

In truth, this comparison to Wh2o is pretty lame.

Keep em comparable to release dates and/or technology.

#34 8 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Next beatdown, F14 vs DI
    In truth, this comparison to Wh2o is pretty lame.
    Keep em comparable to release dates and/or technology.

I don't think technology equivalates a better game. Put Wh20 to a new game like Houdini and I can assure you it will smoke that game in a second. Some new games are dogs too. I was thinking of putting it against IJTPA. I'm not sure it wins there. I know it won't beat AFM or MM....older games too.

#35 8 months ago
    Quoted from DeeGor:

So people vote for it simply because they spent a bunch of money on it? I don't agree with that. Hobbit cost a lot of money too, at least it does when purchased new, and it doesn't do well in polls.

Could be because many of the original buyers that did spend a lot of money on it, already dumped it.

#36 8 months ago

I think these type of posts are fun, but are in no way a fair comparison. I'll use the car analogy. Is a 1990 (fox body) mustang as good as a new 2018 500hp mustang, no way not even close, but the 1990 is fun and at the time was an awesome car. I know not exactly the same thing, but you get the point. Both are good games in their own rights. I've had whitewater for years and love it, I would love to have a dialed in but have a hard time justifying 8-9k for a pinball. You guys that have "Dialed in" seem to love it and I wish I had one, but I don't think it will ever happen. Todd

#37 8 months ago

I have had WH2O for 6 years and it is a great game. I don't consider it shallow at all. I have only got to the Wizard mode one time and it is one of the best in pinball. The game looks 100 times better looking than dialed In with great translite and best topper ever. I have not played DI but I am sure it is fun and deep. I would buy a Whitewater and a good used Stern pro like TWD,IM, or MET for about what DI sell for. You would have a classic pin and a deep newer pin.

#38 8 months ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

I have had WH2O for 6 years and it is a great game. I don't consider it shallow at all. I have only got to the Wizard mode one time and it is one of the best in pinball. The game looks 100 times better looking than dialed In with great translite and best topper ever. I have not played DI but I am sure it is fun and deep. I would buy a Whitewater and a good used Stern pro like TWD,IM, or MET for about what DI sell for. You would have a classic pin and a deep newer pin.

Don't forget, it also has the best ramps and (in my opinion) the best upper playfield implementation.

#39 8 months ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

I would buy a Whitewater and a good used Stern pro like TWD,IM, or MET for about what DI sell for. You would have a classic pin and a deep newer pin.

I like DI but you sir are making a lot of sense.
    Buy this man a beer.

#40 8 months ago

Pinball price alert - I'm not sure where you're finding a used WH20 AND Stern Pro for the price of a used DI. Maybe in 2010.

#41 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Pinball price alert - I'm not sure where you're finding a used WH20 AND Stern Pro for the price of a used DI. Maybe in 2010.

Agreed lol.... not alot of difference these days between a modded wh20 and a huo dile... probably about the sane actually?

#42 8 months ago

id trade my whitewater all day long for a dialed in, come get it!

#43 8 months ago

Whitewater can be bought for 4.5-5k and TWD OR MET for 4.5k-5k That's 9-10k. DI is about 8-8.5 k I believe. I'm not talking about a CQ WH2O . I said about the same . About 1k more for the 2 in 2018.

#44 8 months ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

The game looks 100 times better looking than dialed In with great translite and best topper ever. I have not played DI but I am sure it is fun and deep.

Whoa! 100 times? Best topper ever?
    So looks seem to be the major factor in a pinball machine for you?

This seems like one of those online reviews where someone rates a product as 4 stars, even though they just ordered it and haven’t actually received it yet, but feel it will be good.

I'm just busting balls here, but I think you should at least pull the plunger once.
    I have infinitely more experience with DI than you at this moment! I've played it twice

I do agree, WH2O is a nice looking machine!

#45 8 months ago

You can't compare these two games. It's like comparing a 486DX2 with Windows 95 against an I7 with an Nvidia video card. They're both computers, and while they both do similar things, the newer tech is going to be better in a lot of important ways.

Both great games. But come on.... Dialed In is pretty awesome.

#46 8 months ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

You can't compare these two games. It's like comparing a 486DX2 with Windows 95 against an I7 with an Nvidia video card. They're both computers, and while they both do similar things, the newer tech is going to be better in a lot of important ways.
    Both great games. But come on.... Dialed In is pretty awesome.

So I completely understand your point and logically it makes sense but how do you explain why "old" games like MM and AFM beat DI? It just happened again in this website with the world cup. That's why I understand but don't agree with this.

#47 8 months ago

Delt, you can make a strong argument that you're going to own both of these at some point anyway, so really the poll isn't needed.

Quoted from delt31:

So I completely understand your point and logically it makes sense but how do you explain why "old" games like MM and AFM beat DI? It just happened again in this website with the world cup. That's why I understand but don't agree with this.

While Dialed In might be "awesome" to some, I've heard both sides from owners. Yes, it has a lot of stuff, but there's no "tug at the heart strings" connection like there is with a classic like White Water has to some. This is why the above. Less complex can be better.

It's really hard to find a White Water in excellent condition. Finally got one after 4 years of searching. Dialed In will be in production as long a JJP is.

#48 8 months ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Oh, I like White Water better. I just don't think you can compare them. That's all.

#49 8 months ago

Haha that would be a very well supported argument.

I'm actually picking up DI today as the kids have been asking for it over anything else and I miss mine. I wouldn't be surprised if I circle back and grab a wh20 as it does have heart, unique layout and a great look (although I like the topper I'm not in the camp of best ever about it like others).

Question is what game would I let go for it? Tron, IJTPA, SS. Tough crowd. Easy answer there is tron but damn it I love that game for some reason. That left flipper and some unique shots over the top sounds and music and mine is a looker. First world problems!

#50 8 months ago

If I could have a NIB WH20 or NIB DI, easy choice for me - WH20.

It's just more fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Just 3D Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 64.99
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 12.99
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside