Trap Door Page 2 (resized).jpg
Trap Door Page 1 (resized).jpg
20220116_174756 (resized).jpg
20220116_174825 (resized).jpg
8D9ADF43-C283-4C58-AAA0-341624736CC5 (resized).jpeg
8AA49E19-0D7B-44E1-841D-7123120C48A1 (resized).jpeg
462C164B-22FA-40A2-9B5F-A2B1358E9D40 (resized).jpeg

#1 6 years ago

Just got my new DI standard today and after a few plays (less than 10) got an error message on start up.. says trap door device broken. Tips on simple things to check to remedy this. Any help appreciated.

462C164B-22FA-40A2-9B5F-A2B1358E9D40 (resized).jpeg462C164B-22FA-40A2-9B5F-A2B1358E9D40 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Welcome to the world of unmatched build quality!!!!!

Quoted from LTG:

Under station 3 is a trap door that goes up and down. Check the up or down coils in test, and the switch that lets it know if it's up or down. Might be a simple fix.
LTG : )

Search around...this mech is horrible from the factory and needs to be greased and maybe bent. There are tons of posts on it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/26#post-4049572

EDIT: now I'm heading back downstairs to figure out how the game can take pics of me & my bong during selfie mode....that they have nailed down but trap door is another story.

#3 6 years ago

Can't believe JJP is still shipping DI with this known issue. DI is my first JJP NIB. I have not been impressed with the NIB experience.

tl219 follow the advice on the thread provided by TheLaw and you'll be good to go.

#4 6 years ago

I feel like the mechanism is working properly, mechanically.. Its just that it won't fire at all. Cant get it to fire in the coil tests menu. Not sure if that could be due to the mechanics not functioning properly or not. I did make the adjustments as mentioned so that it works properly manually, The game fails the device on startup and says it "broken"

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from tl219:

I feel like the mechanism is working properly, mechanically.. Its just that it won't fire at all. Cant get it to fire in the coil tests menu. Not sure if that could be due to the mechanics not functioning properly or not. I did make the adjustments as mentioned so that it works properly manually, The game fails the device on startup and says it "broken"

a couple of things to check.

1) do you have the high voltage interlock switch enabled (white plastic switch that becomes disabled for safety reasons when you open the coin door). you will need to pull the middle of the button "out" in order to re-enable the voltage going to the coils.

2) are the coil wires connected to the coil itself (it is possible that they may have come off during shipping)

3) does the "Bob Trap Door Latch Release" coil work in test?

4) check connection J108 on the driver board (pink/color wire) and see if it is properly connected.

#6 6 years ago

Update, the fix mentioned above did in fact resolve the issue. Game rebooted and recognized closed trap door. Game now works as it should with the trap working properly (after tweaking as advised). Thanks for the help, everyone. Appreciated.

1 month later
#7 6 years ago

NIB pin and it does not stop, another error.
Every 10-15 games, the trapdoor gets stuck and does not close anymore

8AA49E19-0D7B-44E1-841D-7123120C48A1 (resized).jpeg8AA49E19-0D7B-44E1-841D-7123120C48A1 (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

8D9ADF43-C283-4C58-AAA0-341624736CC5 (resized).jpeg8D9ADF43-C283-4C58-AAA0-341624736CC5 (resized).jpeg

3 years later
#10 2 years ago

Got the trap door error on my Dialed In last night. Found the broken spring on bottom of cabinet along with this little copper piece.
So gonna need spring at least and pic of where it went. I think it pulls the door back down but not sure. The coils are firing and I can push the door down manually with playfield in up position and the error will clear. But when playing the door juts flaps up and goes right back down.
Is that just the spring I need?
Thanks in advance.

CuJo

20220116_174756 (resized).jpg20220116_174756 (resized).jpg20220116_174825 (resized).jpg20220116_174825 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago

This is what I used to fix mine and it was nib and I never had any problems again with it.
Unplug machine and make sure power is OFF then make sure the coil is not jammed up and moves freely up and down, then bend the metal tab that is straight just enough to catch the coil.
The video explains it.
Good luck!

#12 2 years ago

Thanks for the video link on the issue. Are you the originator of that video? If so, it's very well done.

I'm going to need to get a replacement spring, hopefully tomorrow.

I did not buy my DILE NIB but it was from original owner after he owned it maybe 6-7 months, just before the code got major upgrade.

As you can see mine has the "straight" adjustment tab which I will bend once I get the spring on there.

Never really had an issue with the trap door opening/closing but what you show here will definitely improve things.

Well until the spring broke.

Any idea what that little copper piece is in the pic next to the broken spring?

#13 2 years ago

No not my video; just a video I found when I was trying to fix my door problem. That video was the most helpful in explaining the problem and the solution. Not sure about the copper, email Ken at JJP he was very helpful with any issues I had with my dialed in.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from zaqq90:

No not my video; just a video I found when I was trying to fix my door problem. That video was the most helpful in explaining the problem and the solution. Not sure about the copper, email Ken at JJP he was very helpful with any issues I had with my dialed in.

Already bent the straight tab as in the video. Just going to find a spring today. I am close to Little Shop Of Games.
That little copper piece is a mystery. Could have just been scrap left over from manufacturing or it broke off somewhere.
It was laying right next to the broken spring. I found the little top spring loop in the bottom just north of the speaker that wasn't in my pic.
Thanks for the help.

#15 2 years ago

Got the spring installed but the door will not lock in up postion.
It goes up and down three times in test mode and stays down at end of that.
The little notch in the pivot arm will not engage with the lip of that plate (#14) now that it can't slide far enough away to engage the notch.
I believe that notch on the pic is what engages #14 on the release plate.
Comes no where near it now that I made that adjustment with bending that piece in the video.
I must be missing something obvious here...
Can anyone advise? Thanks!
Trap Door Page 1 (resized).jpgTrap Door Page 1 (resized).jpgTrap Door Page 2 (resized).jpgTrap Door Page 2 (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

Never mind. I figured it out. Plate was to tight. Needed more gap...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-trap-door-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.