• Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

small-bluetooth-usb-adapter-20080827 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So we have Dialed In on location and have been having problems with people connecting to the machine using the smartphone app. It worked for a while, then stopped. Over many visits to the location, I tried everything I could think of, including removing the BT from the USB dongle in the coin door area and reinstalling. Nothing. Eventually I came to the conclusion that the Linux BT driver was probably crashing, so I powered off and did a cold reboot. Viola! Problem solved - connects like a champ again.

I'm not sure how long it will work before it crashes again (and it WILL crash again), but now that I know what's happening, I can try to narrow down the circumstances of the BT driver crashing. Based on my experience with WoZ 6.xx (lockups) and Hobbit (sound popping), it will probably be related to having the machine on 24/7 with an unstable Ubuntu core.

Just thought I'd put this up for people trying to get it to work and failing. A cold reboot is the answer if it worked before and doesn't now.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

it will probably be related to having the machine on 24/7 with an unstable Ubuntu core.

Pardon my naiveté, but is that what Jersey Jack's software is based upon? Ubunutu? If that's the case, that's actually pretty cool. I've got a laptop running Ubuntu. Nice OS, but still buggy when it comes to driver support for certain peripherals, although it has made incredible strides over the years. Maybe it's just an inherent flaw in linux's kernal that'll need to be worked around.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Pardon my naiveté, but is that what Jersey Jack's software is based upon? Ubunutu? If that's the case, that's actually pretty cool. I've got a laptop running Ubuntu. Nice OS, but still buggy when it comes to driver support for certain peripherals, although it has made incredible strides over the years. Maybe it's just an inherent flaw in linux's kernal that'll need to be worked around.

Yes. Everything was cool until they upgraded to Ubuntu 16 (16.04? I don't remember offhand) last year for WoZ 6.xx, Hobbit, and now Dialed In. There were some features/support they needed in 16, so they had to upgrade, but it's caused weird problems on each machine they have now. The WoZ we have out is downgraded and stuck on 5.05 because we can't upgrade to any 6.xx without having random lockups daily. Hobbit had sound popping issues related to U16. And now, it seems like the Bluetooth driver on Dialed In is crashing, likely due to instability, but I don't have enough information on that yet to zero in on the exact circumstances, just that it's happening and a cold boot is the fix.

This isn't just the WoZ machine here, though. I know of three early run WoZ machines, and all of them will not run any 6.xx without locking up within a day when you leave it on. All three work fine on 5.05.

Looking at the PC forums with people complaining about lockups and sound popping, they both seem to be related to power management in the drivers. On PCs people turning that off seem to have fixed the problems. No idea why that isn't the answer or hasn't been tried for JJP software.

#4 6 years ago

Will there be an app for iOS devices?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from knobstone:

Will there be an app for iOS devices?

Yes the app works on iPhone. Just go to apps and search for Jersey Jack Pinball and download it. Open the app, start a game, hold the left button down on the phone and the left flipper button on the game to pair the phone. Then you can launch the ball with the green atomic symbol button and then use the flipper buttons to play. Game buttons still work. Key is to not launch the ball once you start a game to pair the phone. Enjoy.

[email protected]

#6 6 years ago

And hope it doesn't reparably crash like it does on my phone

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Xdetroit:

And hope it doesn't reparably crash like it does on my phone

You can usually avoid the crash by starting with rotation lock OFF and the phone in landscape mode BEFORE you try to launch it. If one way still crashes, rotate 180 degrees to the OTHER landscape orientation and start it. 100% success doing this with everyone I've shown it to on an iphone, even if it was initially crashing.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Yes the app works on iPhone. Just go to apps and search for Jersey Jack Pinball and download it. Open the app, start a game, hold the left button down on the phone and the left flipper button on the game to pair the phone. Then you can launch the ball with the green atomic symbol button and then use the flipper buttons to play. Game buttons still work. Key is to not launch the ball once you start a game to pair the phone. Enjoy.
[email protected]

I've suggested to Jack to rename the app "Dialed In" or "Dialed In App" because right now it's "Jersey Jack Pinball" by "Jersey Jack Pinball" which makes it harder to find and is dumb. "Dialed In App" by "Jersey Jack Pinball" makes more sense and will be easier to find in the app store.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've suggested to Jack to rename the app "Dialed In" or "Dialed In App" because right now it's "Jersey Jack Pinball" by "Jersey Jack Pinball" which makes it harder to find and is dumb. "Dialed In App" by "Jersey Jack Pinball" makes more sense and will be easier to find in the app store.

Yep I first searched for it using Dialed In but then found it using Jersey Jack.

#10 6 years ago

I have been able to connect my iPhone with one unit on location, but tried another machine today and didn't see it listed in my Bluetooth.

I wonder if they removed the Bluetooth dongle.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

I have been able to connect my iPhone with one unit on location, but tried another machine today and didn't see it listed in my Bluetooth.
I wonder if they removed the Bluetooth dongle.

BT driver could have crashed. Reach under the right front cab, turn machine off, then on and reboot and see if that fixes it.

Bluetooth LE that Dialed In uses is a connectionless communication protocol, so seeing it in the Bluetooth list isn't necessary.

#12 6 years ago

I just took delivery on a DILE and the phone app will not connect or even try ever since I got it.
Have an iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.3 which is the latest. Bluetooth is on and everything.
What is a "cold reboot"? Is that just turning the game off and then on again?
Where is the Bluetooth dongle?
Thanks

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

I just took delivery on a DILE and the phone app will not connect or even try ever since I got it.
Have an iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3.3 which is the latest. Bluetooth is on and everything.
What is a "cold reboot"? Is that just turning the game off and then on again?
Where is the Bluetooth dongle?
Thanks

Bluetooth dongle is plugged into the usb extension cable that should be near the back of coin box inside the coin door.

Yes, cold boot is just powering the machine off then on again.

How are you trying to connect with the app?

You should be good with an iPhone 7. The only phone with a definite problem is Galaxy S7 edge.

#14 6 years ago

I am trying to connect as the direction said. Start a game. Before launching the ball, hold the left flipper on the game and the left button in the app and it should connect. I get the status report but no connection. I will double check to make sure that the dongle is there. Thanks

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

I am trying to connect as the direction said. Start a game. Before launching the ball, hold the left flipper on the game and the left button in the app and it should connect. I get the status report but no connection. I will double check to make sure that the dongle is there. Thanks

You need to hit the buttons at the same time, not one then the other. Also, check to make sure the USB cable that runs to the coin door area is connected in the backbox. Maybe even try moving it to another USB port on the PC in the backbox in case the current port is just dead.

#16 6 years ago

Are you saying you leave your pins on location on 24/7? You must be in Vegas or New York

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Are you saying you leave your pins on location on 24/7? You must be in Vegas or New York

Not all locations, but one of them is only closed for a few hours a day, so they just leave them on. This is not good for JJP machines with the newer 16.04 Ubuntu kernel because its drivers are still unstable.

#18 6 years ago

Well the usb extension by the coin box and tilt bob is empty like in my Hobbit for the usb stick for updates. There are 3 usb extension cords coming out of the cpu. One goes to a circuit board on the playfield, the second is this empty one. I don't know where the third goes to. I will search the online manual and see if I can get any information. I also have a ticket in at JJP.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

Well the usb extension by the coin box and tilt bob is empty like in my Hobbit for the usb stick for updates. There are 3 usb extension cords coming out of the cpu. One goes to a circuit board on the playfield, the second is this empty one. I don't know where the third goes to. I will search the online manual and see if I can get any information. I also have a ticket in at JJP.

I'd check the cabinet to see if it fell out in shipment. The one they sent to PAGG didn't have the dongle in, either. Maybe they can come out in shipment? I dunno.

I don't have a picture of the actual one because the machine is on location, but the dongle looks like those little "endcap" USB dongles for keyboards and mice. The one below is an example I grabbed from the internet. It looks very much like this.

small-bluetooth-usb-adapter-20080827 (resized).jpgsmall-bluetooth-usb-adapter-20080827 (resized).jpg

#20 6 years ago

I found a purple dongle in the backbox connect to the cpu about an inch long. Does not say Bluetooth on it but I am not sure what else it would be for. I reseated it but there is no change in the phone connection. I will wait to see what tech support says and pass on what I can.

#21 6 years ago

I just realized that it has my games serial number on it and that dongle is probably the security lock out dongle I read about in the manual. Again I'll see what tech support says.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

I just realized that it has my games serial number on it and that dongle is probably the security lock out dongle I read about in the manual. Again I'll see what tech support says.

Yeah, the colored one is the security key.

#23 6 years ago

Security Dongle with serial number plugs into rear of motherboard. Bluetooth dongle for the phone should be in the extension cable used for software updates (front left next to cashpan).

#24 6 years ago

Thank you. Yeah. Mine is empty so I think it got left out. JJP will be sending on out. Customer support there is great. I received several emails from them over the holiday weekend.

1 week later
#25 6 years ago

The two times I have tried connecting my phone to the system it stops working almost immediately then the entire OS crashes and reboots the game.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from focusmediagroup:

The two times I have tried connecting my phone to the system it stops working almost immediately then the entire OS crashes and reboots the game.

What phone, what OS? (Or are you talking about the pinball machine OS?)

#27 6 years ago

JJP sent me the Bluetooth dongle that was missing and now it works fine except when my thumbs miss the phone's flipper buttons. I would suggest changing the app so that the active area for the flipper buttons covers the entire left and right thirds of the screen. It's hard to keep on those "buttons" when looking at the playfield and not the phone.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from pindoc1:

JJP sent me the Bluetooth dongle that was missing and now it works fine except when my thumbs miss the phone's flipper buttons. I would suggest changing the app so that the active area for the flipper buttons covers the entire left and right thirds of the screen. It's hard to keep on those "buttons" when looking at the playfield and not the phone.

100% agree. App flipper buttons are way too small to be practical.

#29 6 years ago

I've got a Dialed In ordered, and I love the time i've spent playing this game on location, but I never understood this Bluetooth feature.

What the heck is the point? It's pretty cool as a bonus, tech demo "look what we can do!" kind of thing....but as a selling point on the official flyer? I just don't get it. I really don't.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

What the heck is the point? It's pretty cool as a bonus, tech demo "look what we can do!" kind of thing....but as a selling point on the official flyer? I just don't get it. I really don't.

I think it's to attract the younger generation. When my son was playing DI with the phone I noticed how similar it was to an Xbox/PS controller. Also, there's an advantage to the phone app - the ability to use the big bang at will.

#31 6 years ago

I agree that my hands kept missing the app buttons - yes they need to be larger or at least the zone does. How does big bang work via app- what does it do?

#32 6 years ago

I've got a Dialed In ordered, and I love the time i've spent playing this game on location, but I never understood this Bluetooth feature.

I agree here. It's a cool proof of concept, but doesn't appear to add much.

What they need to do is somehow integrate it into multiplayer games. Like, I could earn a prize (a bomb or something) at the theater during my ball, and then you could "attack" the person you are playing against and effect the flippers like what happens during multiball.

#33 6 years ago

Two advantages from the app. Lets you select disasters to do manually and lets you launch big bang at will. Flipper control isn't really that great, so those other two features are the main attraction, and just use the manual flippers.

It's also pretty cool as "training wheels" where you can have a young kid play the machine, but be there operating flippers remotely to help them if they're going to miss the ball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-smartphone-app-connection-solution?hl=turtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.