Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by Kalipin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

So it looks like my phone is starting to get a little wonky, the game is only two weeks old. Today when I fired it up I noticed the brightness seems to be adjusted higher and the colors are washing out. There is also a pinkish hue to certain colors. It basically looks like crap now. I am running 1.57.

Is this I sign my phone is on its way out? Is there anything I need to look at? I have looked at all the connections other than the connections inside the phone itself.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

So it looks like my phone is starting to get a little wonky, the game is only two weeks old. Today when I fired it up I noticed the brightness seems to be adjusted higher and the colors are washing out. There is also a pinkish hue to certain colors. It basically looks like crap now. I am running 1.57.
    Is this I sign my phone is on its way out? Is there anything I need to look at? I have looked at all the connections other than the connections inside the phone itself.

I would post this in the Dialed In owners thread. I haven’t had any phone issues but I know there have been several owners in the past that have posted their problems, and the solutions, in that thread.

#3 5 years ago

You can swap the connectors between the Theater and the phone in the back box. If it stays on the phone, you'll likely need to get a replacement from JJP.

#4 5 years ago

Yea the owners thread is just too jumbled with random posts of issues, game play etc. It is too difficult to look through it for solutions. I did see others were having issues, pinkish hue, phone going dark, but no solution other than having to replace the phone. I am not sure if the problem ended up surfacing again.

I am guessing any VGA cable would work correct? That would save me some time switching cables around.

#5 5 years ago

Its not a bad cable.

#6 5 years ago

Loosen the 4 nuts a that hold the phone case a little. This has reduced my phone blanking out significantly thus far. When I loosened only one side I started getting the color issue occasionally

#7 5 years ago

I will give that a try. I wonder if the VGA cable is getting squished at the connector internally at the board inside the phone.

#8 5 years ago

Still pinkish. Looks like I will need to open a ticket for a new phone. I do hope this isn't an ongoing problem.

On another note, I noticed it has the same pop bumper clearance issue that WOZ had. I will need to trim the lower pop bumper to keep it from grinding away on the neighboring ball guide. Clearance JJP......clearance...

#9 5 years ago

Phone went back to normal?

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

Yea the owners thread is just too jumbled with random posts of issues, game play etc. It is too difficult to look through it for solutions. I did see others were having issues, pinkish hue, phone going dark, but no solution other than having to replace the phone. I am not sure if the problem ended up surfacing again.
    I am guessing any VGA cable would work correct? That would save me some time switching cables around.

Yeah but you get a Pinside treasure (Lloyd) from JJP responding to questions in that thread.

#11 5 years ago

I know and it has been helpful don't get me wrong its just sometimes I don't have time to look through post after post to see what issues/solutions there are to a problem. Even though there are key posts thing get lost in conversation.

I didn't see a key post about the pop bumper grinding on the ball guide. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned, or its possible I missed it somewhere.

#12 5 years ago

I had 3 phones that they sent to me - the 4th is my current one installed by a JJP tech that came to my house. He wanted to see the issue in person.

They will send you a new one- don't wait - it's easy to switch. It's the screen....not the cable.

JJP was awesome in helping me- they will help you too.

#13 5 years ago

Since you and others seem to be having ongoing issues (gone through multiple phones) I wonder if the video card is the problem. I noticed it sits loosely in its socket. Maybe hooking a monitor up to it when it goes pink might be a good test. I am not sure how it will display it being much larger but it might be a good test. Rather that switching with the theater monitor which displays less material. I did some light research on why a monitor turns a pinkish hue and there are a few culprits. One being the monitor itself (back light),another being the video card or driver software. Going through phone after phone is not something I would be looking forward to long term. Id imagine the phones will be expensive to replace.

#14 5 years ago

My phone did the exact same thing about 6 months after I got mine. JJP sent me a new ribbon cable to see if that fixed the issue. It didn't. After that I was sent a new phone and has been fine ever since.

#15 5 years ago

My new phone came two days ago, but I haven't replaced it yet.This will be the fifth phone,(the original,and four replacements)and hopefully the last phone,I'll need to replace. Two days ago,my phone blacked out on me,and then it came back on during my game. This never happened before,usually once it blacks out,I have to restart my game,to get it to come back on? The phone displayed "VGA" in a small blue box, and then the phone started working again?
    My buddy and I played for three hours last night,and it only blacked out once.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

My last phone did this,and then it stopped working several days latter.

#17 5 years ago

I guess that means its on its way out. I reached out to JJP so i am sure they will send a replacement. It would be nice to know the underlying problem though.

I noticed the way the internal VGA cable is routed is not the greatest. It looks like they do not utilize the cutout in the LED board for routing. As a result the connector at the board is stressed, the cable pushs down on the connector. I wonder if this is causing issues after a while.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

I guess that means its on its way out. I reached out to JJP so i am sure they will send a replacement. It would be nice to know the underlying problem though.
    I noticed the way the internal VGA cable is routed is not the greatest. It looks like they do not utilize the cutout in the LED board for routing. As a result the connector at the board is stressed, the cable pushs down on the connector. I wonder if this is causing issues after a while.

I think the problem with the phone is the best kept secret in all of pinball.I have zero confidence,that my new phone is gonna be any better than the ones Ive already had.
    I've grown used to the feeling of replacing a phone,and then that sick feeling you get when the new one blacks out too.

1 week later
    #19 5 years ago

Replaced my phone today, so far so good. Hopefully,this one's a keeper.

#20 5 years ago

Maybe we should contact Dialed In Electronics

I think its pretty funny the game says it has detected a problem with your phone and there actually IS a problem with the phone

#21 5 years ago

Please don't tell anyone,but I thought the pinball machine knew the phone was broken. The new phone has been working like it should,sweet!

#22 5 years ago

My monitor does not have this issue but I read about it a lot. In my opinion it looks very much like connection issues. A loose connector, not fully seated graphics card, maybe even a faulty design of the phone monitor connector.

2 months later
    #23 4 years ago

Ugh. Phone went black for the first time today.. after reboot its all PINKish. May 2018 build date.. ~4 weeks into warranty. Damn't.. will update the story as it unfolds.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from drained:

Ugh. Phone went black for the first time today.. after reboot its all PINKish. May 2018 build date.. ~4 weeks into warranty. Damn't.. will update the story as it unfolds.

Call Frank @ JJP he’ll set you up.
    It takes around 15 minutes to change out

3 months later
    #25 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

When reassembling the phone on my game after replacing the display, I was not sure if I should use the cutouts in the display driver board for routing the cables or not. That's what I eventually did, but the vga connector cutout does not align well with where the connector is supposed to go. I also don't like how the black/yellow power connector wire mashes against the inside wall of the phone. I would recommend for anyone to be extremely careful with the grey VGA ribbon cable inside because the white connector is kind of fragile (wires pull out easy). And for some reason the last little bit of seating of the connector required a lot of force, or it would just come apart if the cable moved.

Rob

1 month later
    #26 4 years ago

Phone screen went black today. All LEDs worked as usual but no picture. Happened mid-game. I am running the lastest code. Does anyone know if this is code related? A reboot solved the issue. Hopefully my phone isnt crapping out again.

4 years later
    #27 77 days ago

Just bought a DI with known “phone screen issues” from the original owner

Both the phone screen and theater screen spend most of their time off/not working, with very occasional bursts (5 seconds or less) of showing the screen. From reading the threads it sounds more like a video card or cable issue than an Actual screeen issue. This is an old thread was Hoping to see if anyone had any new updates before I dive into this

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-phone-issue?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.