IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Welcome to the club Posted by goren1818 (7 years ago)

Post #14 Game play video. Posted by solarvalue (7 years ago)

Post #800 What happens if you don't cut mylar off magnet core posts Posted by crwjumper (6 years ago)

Post #805 Cut mylar off magnet posts at drones and theatre Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #1026 Ball adjustment for tilt Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #1079 Adjustment for flipper that feels "clunky" Posted by spida1a (6 years ago)

Post #1128 Left inlane post does NOT need a rubber sleeve! Posted by Mageek (6 years ago)

Post #1151 Adjusting the kickback Posted by pinstadium (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Another ball trap location Posted by Vyzer2 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

298 posts in this topic match your search for posts by tranquilize. You are on page 1 of 2.
#3356 6 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I am now on my second phone, JJ sent me a replacement. What I have now is color washed out in Yellow or Pink . I suspect the video card since it does not have anything supporting it other than the PCI connector itself. Usually a PC will have a bracket with a screw to hold cards in place, not sure why they didn't do that here, after all it is a pinball machine and will get shaken a lot more than most PCs will. To mitigate this I have added a couple strips of weather stripping to the PC cover to put pressure on the card and keep it from moving around. It hasn't occurred for a few days now since I did this. Time will tell if this fixes it for good or on to phone number 3.... Also added a pic of what I believe is the video card used -- MSI ATI Radeon HD6450

Interesting. I'm on my second phone as well for this very issue. I've reseated my video card with no results, but I didn't consider supporting it. Post back if your issue occurs again.

JJP is sending me a new video card in hopes that it will fix the wonky color issue. Mine didn't start happening until immediately after my update to 1.50, but I was experiencing blanking on the phone. Now my phone is always yellow or blue cast and will fix if I unplug the VGA cable at the back of the phone and reseat it. It still goes black once in a while too. : (

2 weeks later
#3532 6 years ago
Quoted from skondris:

So, I've tried to skim through this thread, but I didn't see this mentioned, forgive me if this is an old issue already talked through that I'm resurrecting, but, ever since the 1.52 update (I just did this last week), none of the GI LEDs are working on my DILE. :/
I've traced connections and checked them all, but still no joy.
any ideas on what I can try next?

If it happened immediately after the update, reinstall update. Also, check fuses.

#3537 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

Sometimes (maybe 1 out of 10) when the ball ejects out of the phone scoop it barely hits the left sling post and will go straight into the middle drain.
Has anybody else had this problem? It seems level, but I'm using a 24" level across the entire cabinet to set it up. I may need to get a better level.
What about coil strength?

Do you mean the right sling? Sounds like you may want to up the coil strength a little. I had to lower my phone eject and adjust flippers after I updated code. This machine requires tuning of both flippers, phone scoop and theatre magnet, at least on my copy. Takes very little time, and I like the control.

#3538 6 years ago
Quoted from skondris:

I checked that board and all of it's connectors, all were seated good, I removed and reseated them all, still nothing.
which fuse is connected to these that I should check?

Did you try reinstalling the update?

I’m not sure how the fuse system works on DI as I haven’t had any reason to learn it yet. I’d just check them all, but as a previous poster said, it may not be the issue. Again, if it happened after the update, I would reinstall as my first course of action. Then I’d work backwards. What else did you touch? Did you raise the playfield? Did you adjust anything?

#3546 6 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Ok- so I was having consistent trouble with my phone booting properly (I posted the issue here around page 61 or so) where only the lower 3rd would light up. The top 2/3's was blank.
Anyway, Stephen at JJP was able to send me a brand new video card and a new phone which I installed today. In case anyone needs a video card in the future I took a photo of the box- these are avail on Amazon for about $45 bucks.
With that all said- it seems to be working now. Interestingly something new its doing that it didn't before is that it says "auto configuring" then it clears (just like on a PC). My other phone never showed that- so perhaps there was something wrong w/the video card and phone. As of now after 15 or so reboots- its seems to be coming on each time.
He also sent me an audio sound isolator as I was getting a lot of audio noise. That gadget did the trick.
Before I switch these parts out I had to disconnect the VGA cord and reattach to get it to work. Obviously something wasn't quite right. Fingers crossed this was the fix and I'm done

I received a new phone and a new graphics card for my phone not casting colours correctly (usually red does not show), but it didn't fix the issue like it did with yours. I also tried several different VGA cords. Glad to see the fix worked for you!

#3548 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Can someone take a look at this and see if I am imagining things. It feels and looks like the left flipper is not aligned quite right, I mean it feels like it is if by just a bit. Does the alignment look ok or does the left flipper look too low?

Definitely too low. Adjust it. I usually use a straight edge to make the flippers parallel to the guide rails, but DI has that hexagon, which makes it really easy. Adjust so that the bat is just touching that left point. Done!

#3561 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I found that by doing a fresh 1.50 complete install (fresh everything, redownloaded it, different usd drive etc...) then the 1.52 delta helped to correct my phone issues.

Were your issues similar to mine? Mine has the wrong colours, usually more yellow than it should be because it's missing the red. Sometimes the phone blanks and returns or stays blank. I can fix this issue every time by unplugging the VGA and reseating it. After I do this, it will show correct colours etc.

This did start happening after 1.50, so I have always assumed it to be software related. I did reinstall 1.50 several times, then updated to 1.52 with no difference. Actually, after the reinstall, the phone is perfect, but once I power off the game and boot it, the colour issue is there.

As I understand, your process was to reinstall 1.50 then immediately 1.52? I could try this again.

#3570 6 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

I have been following this thread closely and playing a lot of DI on location - really love the game and leaning toward getting it but man - really does seem like a ton of adjustments and fixes. I know all games need adjustments (have had a decent amount on my AFMr). I do love the game and will probably eventually get it so thank you to everyone taking the time to post your issues and resolutions - extremely helpful. I read the AFMr threads religiously before and when I received my game and these postings really help a lot!

It doesn't need that much adjusting, and it's absolutely wonderful that you can adjust coils etc. If you buy a DI, you should do the following:

- Record the factory coil adjustments when you first turn on the game. The factory adjusts the coils so that the game plays well. Take a picture of the coil strengths.
- Play the game and make sure the theatre throws the ball back with pretty good velocity when it's supposed to. If not, adjust. See other threads on this.
- Your phone eject will likely be too powerful. Lower the coil strength until the ball burps out and hits the slingshot. Then add more strength until it lands on the flipper nicely.
- Lower the power of the left flipper to save wear and tear on the phone scoop and surrounding area. Lower it until you can't make the right ramp and raise it up until you easily can with pretty good velocity. This should prevent a lot of the air balls from this flipper.
- Add some oil/grease to the underside of the arm diverter, on the flat metal surface that the oblong rotator rubs against. It is metal on metal and grinds a dust over time. A LITTLE oil/grease helps with this.
- Cut the mylar around the theatre magnet. I haven't done this yet as the ball is cutting it for me. It likely won't be as smooth this way though :\

I always expect adjustments with any machine, and I'm VERY happy that JJP has embraced this. The mylar is a pain, but the rest is great!

#3580 6 years ago

The issue, to me, is the old protectors, which are still in my machine. They are sharp and create pretty good scratches on the balls. Then the balls scratch the playfield near the flippers. These scratches are very, very thin and could easily be buffed away. The clear is thick, so you don't have to worry about it. Look how thin the clear is on old W/B machines. They have scratches too, but you often can't see them because of the thin clear. It's not an issue at all, but owners of pins are like pixel peeping photographers: they seek perfection where perfection is simply not possible. It's a pinball machine. The playfield will scratch and dent from the metal balls.

Authentic cliffys will help keep the balls from scratching so heavily; I'm going to contact JJP to see if they'll send me a set as I hear they are installing them now at the factory. In the end, the clear on DI is thicker and clearer, which is great.

#3590 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder if this is a software issue at this point? Under a full install of 1.5, before going to 1.52, does it still have the issue?

My phone performed flawlessly until I updated to 1.50. Then it never displayed colors correctly, even when I went back to 1.32 or whatever the previous version was. I personally think it's a software issue that is only affecting certain machines.

#3596 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

With the mylar removed around the magnet core isn't there a risk of chipping? Chipping around the magnet core of Metallica is very common if mylar hasn't been put down around it. When I owned a Metallica pro I put a square of mylar over the magnet core / around it then cut out the area around the core, never had an issue.

We're talking about removing the mylar on the magnet core itself, not the surrounding playfield.

#3620 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I see you have tz. If you like tz, you will love DI. It’s like tz on steroids.

I'd say apples and oranges myself, but I agree that if you like TZ, odds are you're going to like DI.

#3623 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The game is definitely different, but the layout is kinda familiar. The TZ of the next generation. A better pin than WOZ IMO

TZ's ramps are rear central. It has a second playfield. It's magnets are utilized for specific, aimed game play. It has no side ramp. It's bumpers are close left. It's a widebody. I guess they both have orbits and a right hand scoop?

Not trying to bash; I just think they are apples to oranges. Completely different pins, but they do have that Lowler feel...

#3643 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What’s your upper flipper strength set at?

I dont' find that flipper power makes any difference with the sim shot. What makes a big difference is if you have the JJP protector on the sim shot or an authentic Cliffy. When I played a proto machine last year, it had no protector at all, and I could make the shot direct maybe 20% of the time. Mine has the JJP protector, and I make the shot direct maybe 5% of the time. I would imagine with a Cliffy it would balance somewhere in the middle at 12%. I would find this percentage acceptable, considering the value of the shot and the fact that flukes happen.

#3653 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Has anybody changed the servings on the dialed in inserts to have some of the letters already lit. If so how many and do you consider this cheating? The best I have been able to do has been 4 SIM cards. I am thinking of having the game start with 2 letters already lit.

On location, this could be good, but in a home setting, I would consider it cheating. But it's your game, so what matters is how you feel about it. I haven't completed the letters, but I'm pretty confident I will when I swap for Cliffys.

#3661 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I am going to pick a DILE up and was wondering what I should be looking for as far a trouble areas or concern. Thanks in advance for any input

This question has been addressed at least twice in this thread. A little reading will get you what you need. Enjoy the game!

#3665 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

Thanks for the suggestion and being a dick....I had better things to do than scroll thru 74 pages of posts. You input was... wow, amazing

Whoa, slow down there, bud. Most message boards suggest that you read posts before asking common questions, and I'm sure it's somewhere on Pinside as well. I commented "enjoy the game" to clarify that my post contained nothing but a positive tone, offering advice.

If you look at the first post, there is a list of links to much of what you're asking about. Also, I posted the following two pages back from where we are now:

Quoted from Tranquilize:

It doesn't need that much adjusting, and it's absolutely wonderful that you can adjust coils etc. If you buy a DI, you should do the following:

- Record the factory coil adjustments when you first turn on the game. The factory adjusts the coils so that the game plays well. Take a picture of the coil strengths.
- Play the game and make sure the theatre throws the ball back with pretty good velocity when it's supposed to. If not, adjust. See other threads on this.
- Your phone eject will likely be too powerful. Lower the coil strength until the ball burps out and hits the slingshot. Then add more strength until it lands on the flipper nicely.
- Lower the power of the left flipper to save wear and tear on the phone scoop and surrounding area. Lower it until you can't make the right ramp and raise it up until you easily can with pretty good velocity. This should prevent a lot of the air balls from this flipper.
- Add some oil/grease to the underside of the arm diverter, on the flat metal surface that the oblong rotator rubs against. It is metal on metal and grinds a dust over time. A LITTLE oil/grease helps with this.
- Cut the mylar around the theatre magnet. I haven't done this yet as the ball is cutting it for me. It likely won't be as smooth this way though :\

I always expect adjustments with any machine, and I'm VERY happy that JJP has embraced this. The mylar is a pain, but the rest is great!

See, even dicks have their good side

#3675 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Will b very tough or impossible the way my pin is set up. Need to beat enough modes or do enough things to spell dialed in.

I've been one letter away twice. Extra ball is decently attainable with this game. Also, double banking off the two big Bang targets or single banking off the drone rubber makes the sim shot doable. I like that I've had to find difficult workarounds to get Sims. If you don't have the skills, set sim to stay lit over balls, but you will always know, deep in your soul, that you needed training wheels to finish the race.

#3677 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What lights extra ball?

Finishing three modes, I believe.

#3679 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Is it tied to the BOB lights? Or just lit there? Man those are hard to see
I also believe there is a combo-related extra ball

Just lit there I think.

Yeah, I think I lit it once when I hit the 10k left ramp 10 times. Not positive on that one though. I should learn the damn rules!

#3682 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Do you cap how many extra balls can be rewarded....I currently cap it at 3.

The most I've manage to get is two, so what ever the default cap is is what I use.

#3692 5 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

"Has anyone reached Showdown, and any tips on getting to it?"
I have it set so that the SIM cards are available after a new ball starts instead of draining with each ball. Other than that it's setup standard.

That's a BIG difference, a far cry from standard. I'd say that makes the game 30-40% easier.

#3695 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Not the way my pin is set up... i have kickback set up more difficult and eb limited. Also set at 7.0 angle with very sensitive slings and magnets set up more active. With all that my game is evil and pretty difficult but i enjoy it this way.

Nice. Mine is jacked up too, but I find the standard difficulty of the rules to be great.

#3708 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha funny, never thought aboot it. I think the orbit loop from the left is lower at the point were the right orbit becomes a ramp...if you can visualize that.
The sad issue is many games suffer from a poor ability for the left orbit to feed the right upper flipper with any power. This can be due to a few things, like the problematic trap door, or somewhat limp right flipper, "not the same electricity as the factory " which is a common strange excuse from JJP. Mine has never worked like a normal orbit honestly...I "Think" they are supposed to though.

The orbit has an intentional incline to slow the ball down, which is very good design. You have FIVE possibilities with the left orbit: trap door gulps the ball, the incline slows it enough to settle in the skill shot (making for a strong feed to upper flipper), the incline slows it enough to settle in the pops, or you nail the shot with power and it comes around the flipper where you can shoot or let it come down to lower flippers.

It's simply not designed to be a Ritchie orbit. It is a multi-functional orbit, which suits Lawlor's style perfectly.

#3710 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's all fine and dandy, with default settings many people including myself are unable to make an orbit shot, eliminating one of your possibilities.

Interesting, my game is jacked in the back, and I have no issues with the orbit. Maybe your right flipper coil is nerfed too much in the coil settings?

#3712 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I broke down the mech and used a new sleeve, made sure the bushing was OK but it still didn't help ( I think Sarnoff said that fixed his), so yeah I had to increase the coil setting. It makes it around now probably like it should, not super quick and still goes in the skill shot a few times. This is at 6.5.

That sounds similar to mine.

#3722 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Shots to the theater are suddenly being dropped by the magnet and falling SDTM on my DI. It used to throw the ball up and around with the occasional drop down. I read the posts about cutting out the mylar, but I don’t think that’s the issue as the magnet is able to hold the ball just fine.
Anyone know the fix for this one?

Adjust the magnet settings in the menu. Search for theater magnet in the forum. Tons of info on that one.

#3723 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Does an EOS even have anything to do with flipper power in this system?

If your EOS switch is set too close, it cuts the high voltage power to the coil early. However, I'm not sure how much of an effect it has as the voltage surge already hits the coil.

#3747 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I'm going to get a Dialed In!!!!! Having some serious debate in my brain about the Standard vs LE. $1000 more and JJP really seemed to add the value.
The manual is nice, I'd probably buy one if I got a Standard. So that's $100
I like powder coated trim, probably a $400 value?
The Invisiglass, meh I have a spare sheet of PDI so that's a wash for me.
Do the lighted ramps make a big difference? IDK
So idk.....it's like a $500 jump for me to go to the LE....what do I do???

LE for sure. You'll need invisaglass anyway due to the large screen. You get the ramp lights and powder coating and cool cityscape. I think it's totally worth it.

#3830 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Seriously, how a shot done by luck 99 times out of 100 can it be fun?
I also think if there was a thread about the worst important shot in pinball industry It would be highly ranked in my top.

You have to figure out bank shots. I have the JJP protector on mine, and I still make the shot about 1 in 10. I bank the ball off the stand-up to the left of the theatre or double bank off the Big Bang targets. I occasionally make the direct shot as well. I think the difficulty is spot on, considering the value of sim cards.

#3867 5 years ago

The JJP protectors have sharp edges, so they will mangle balls early on. I tumbled the balls more often for the first while.

Scratches are normal. They are just more visible on thicker, clearer clear.

1 week later
#3981 5 years ago

My Mylar is bubbling. Going to pull the magnet and chop it. The wear is uneven, so I wouldn't wait. You WILL have to do it.

As for Ninja balls, skip them and get a tumbler. Factory balls are fine, but the game is a little hard on the balls, like a cock tease.

#3985 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

Pinbuck is spot on...it sounds scary, but it is fairly easy and simple. I am a novice at this and it took me about 15 minutes to remove the mylar off the theater. Just follow his instructions, I would recommend wiping the magnet core with goo off to remove the adhesive. If you need help just message me.

If this sounds scary, consider it good training. Pinball machines need constant work, which includes removing and replacing woodscrews, diodes, coils, transistors and occasionally full mechanisms. Remember, it's a piece of plywood with pre-drilled holes. Just don't overtighten.

#4008 5 years ago
Quoted from Robo1:

I have a new problem on my Dialed In. The trapdoor is stuck in the open position. When I test the device it does not work, although i do hear the coil attempting to pull down. I also dont see or feel anything blocking the movement. The smaller latch coil does seem to be quite hot though. Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Rob

Watch this video.

There is an adjustment tab that JJP didn't bend into place to adjust the coil release. The video will walk you through the process of adjusting it properly.

#4023 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

Regarding support, my apron sticker has a couple bumps in it and they are sending me a new decal. I'm a little upset about it, not sure why they can't just send me a replacement apron with a nicely applied sticker ... Am I being unreasonable?

Absolutely. I feel sorry for the company having to deal with stuff like this. Use a heat gun and fix it if you're that picky. I just used a pin to remove a couple air bubbles. No offense, but this is nit-picking to the extreme. The new decal in the mail is above and beyond great service.

#4026 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

It's not a bubble in my case, there's actually something underneath it. I appreciate the feedback, even though you added some unnecessary attitude. Look, some a-hole applied this sticker and sent it down the line knowing there was an issue. To me, it's a defect that should have been caught/replaced before it was ever boxed up. Believe it or not, I've never professionally worked on these machines so there is a very good chance that my application of a sticker might not be to the level or someone that does it repeatedly. I personally like to take care of my machines and preserve the like-new condition, not have them look like I modified it after the 1st month of owning it. If I try to fix this myself based on your suggestion and it looks even worse, they surely won't do anything for me after that. So I guess I disagree with your opinion.

That's perfectly fine, and I'm not adding any snarky tone to my posts. It's a pinball machine. Removing some dust under the sticker isn't that tough, and as you've said, the company is willing to send you a new sticker. To me, you get two tries: peel up the old, remove dust and replace, or screw that process up and apply a brand new sticker. Small production issues are typical in the world of NIB pinball. Asking for an entire apron is unacceptable in my opinion. Again, not trying to offend. Just answering your question.

#4033 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Well. Encountered my first problem since getting all NIB stuff resolved. My theater enter switch is stuck on. I have pulled off the theater and looked at the optos and they seem like they are in the right place. I followed the four wires down (two on each side) down to where it connects to a connector and that seems fine. Where to go from here? Bad opto?

Could be a bad opto. I'd check the solder on both sides. Might be a bad bulb.

#4036 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No solder. Molded little black plastic opto assemblies.
LTG : )

Oops! Thanks!

#4048 5 years ago
Quoted from PinBuck:

Now THIS sounds exactly like my issue. I agree, it could be something other than the phone. I wonder if the temps are too high causing the video card to malfunction. If it were the port, I'd expect the issue to be consistent. Heat fluctuates and increases as the game runs, which could cause some video cards issues. This is an AMD card too (Radeon HD6450), which notoriously generate a lot of heat, but can usually run at higher temps.

My phone went black after playing for a while as well. From my experience and a few others, it is almost definitely your phone. Hook up a computer monitor to the VGA out and see if it happens. It likely won’t.

#4049 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

One other question. What controls the position of the diverted arm? Sometimes, even when I’m not in a mode, I believe the arm is down and diverts the ball. Other times it is up. I would have thought it was mode based, but it seems other things may affect it.

When lock is lit, the diverter arm goes down. It’s also used during Acid Rain mode and BOB wrench multiball.

#4084 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, I have trouble locking more than one ball. I think it is because after locking one, I have to start a disaster mode and then lock another all on the same ball. If I drain, I’m stuck with a two ball MB. So, by design, it seems for an average player like me, it is tough to get a 3 ball MB.

A man should be able to get by with two balls....

#4121 5 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

Working on a custom topper using a small old Dell monitor 14x9 and vga splitter. Thanks to Mamemaster for the idea!!
Any ideas how to mount this? Could do a wall lcd mount behind the pin and hesitant to mount it on the back box somehow?
when I bought the dell monitor I was wondering if the image was going to in landscape mode since the cheap $7 flea market monitor did not have the portrait to landscape control setting but the vga card flips it so it was perfect.
Image could be a little better but once I mount it somehow I don't think it will matter.

Working on the same thing. I'm going to attach mine with Velcro. Easy to remove with heat. Be sure you have a powered splitter, or your phone will go dim.

#4123 5 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

After playing a few games tonight, an idea came to me on the lottery/scratcher mode. I think it would be nice when you scratch the ticket if it gave you either points or an award. The awards could be any of these. Add a ball, light Big Bang, start a mode, award a lock and if you hit the lottery a letter on the Dialed In. Just an idea but scratching the ticket would be way more exciting, either points or an award.

Cool in theory, but it would make the game easier and base it more on luck rather than skill.

#4129 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

A couple of adjustments that will drastically improve the enjoyment of the game:
1) Change SIM card setting to carry over ball-to-ball
2) Change Add-a-ball to start with "Add" already completed (only two shots needed).
3) Allow 2 kickbacks to be stacked.

I can see this for newbs, but I disagree with nerfing the rules. The game is way more fun when there is intense pressure to score a sim and/or relight kickback. I also dislike easy add a ball rules. On location though, these would be good settings to encourage coin drop.

#4141 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

On average it takes more than 3.....due to a really awful design decision, the phone cannot detect a shot to it of a ball is already in there from the SIM or BOB hole. So it's common to hit the phone 4-6 times during multiball before you're actually credited for 3 shots. This is the main reason I changed it to 2 shots required instead of 3 on mine....because in all likelihood you made 3 shots anyway.

I just keep a note of what's going on in the sewer. If there is action under there, I shoot for jackpots. If not, I add a notch to add-a-ball. To me, it's all about knowing the game and playing to the code. I don't mind this at all.

#4218 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Hey guys,
I notice on some DI that you can easily back hand the phone. On mine it’s not possible and catches the right sling.
Is there a way to adjust this? The game is MUCH easier on machines where this back hand works. On my machine the tightest it goes without hitting the sling is the post left of the scoop.

I can't backhand either, but this makes me happy. My whirlwind has the same great limitation with the scoop. I always hated copies of TAF that allowed you to ride bear kicks with both flippers. Too easy! Be happy you can't backhand!

#4222 5 years ago

I just do rolling backhands and nail them pretty often.

#4255 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its good and unique but nothing special imo... pro iron m is 5600-5700 and premium is 7300 and di is 7500-8 for a standard which still has much more to offer for not much more . Just a huge difference in quality and detail between the company's pins from what i can see now that i have my first spike game. Dont get me wromg maiden is fun but cld have been amazing with a little more b.o.m.

I have DILE and IMDNLE, and DI wins on quality and bang for your buck (no pun intended) hands down. On gameplay, they are completely different machines. DI is classic lawlor smooth stop and go, while IMdn is speed and flow with difficult ramps. The loops on imdn are insanely fast and fun. One is not better than the other when it comes to gameplay, which is most important imo.

#4259 5 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

LE on it's way to me. Things I need to do from skimming this long post is remove mylar from the magnets, install cliffy protesters and change the balls.
Anything else?

You'll likely have to adjust your coil strength on each flipper and the scoop eject after you update the code. You'll want to adjust the theatre magnet too. Aside from that, I would recommend doing the trap door adjustment tab to avoid problems later on.

Actually, here's one of my previous posts:

------------

- Adjust the tab on the trap door. There is a youtube video on this:

#4272 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ive had dile for almost year now with thousands of plays and stiill love it or more than the first 6 monthes. Madien is a great shooter but its missing that special felling that so mamy b/w pins and jjp pins have imo. I dont see it making it the long haul just like every other sterm pin i have owned. However it is the best pin from stern since twdp and met imo .

I agree with you with regard to quality, but not gameplay. I have always disliked stern - at least for the last decade - but some of their games have great gameplay. LOTR and IM come to mind. I see imdn as black knight 2000 meets Ironman, and I don’t see it as just another passing stern. Elwin’s design is too damn good, even with the stern cheapness. At least the imdns have service rails, metal ramps and metal lamp brackets etc. my le has a metal lighted apron too. I actually don’t mind the latch system for the lockdown bar. For once, I have very little to complain about except maybe bang for buck.

#4292 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

EMP is my favorite mode. First of all, I can complete it. Even though it is dangerous, it is only three shots to the theater. And, it totally keeps me on my toes. The magnet action is insane, and you can’t ever predict what path the ball will take. Super fun.

EMP is like power Ball mode to me. Super fun but hella dangerous. Music is great, and who doesn't like a greasy pizza delivery guy?

#4294 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Love the pizza guy dialogue! Not sure who I like best; pizza guy, alien yokel or whirlwind trailer trash girl.

Anita Goodman is the best!

#4318 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Could somebody with a DI do me a favor? I'd like to know what the measurement is, from the bottom of the cabinet near the back legs to the floor. This way, I could set up my adjustable sawhorse,and use it to hold up the back end of my DI,while I attach the rear legs.
Thanks in advance

Hip/thigh combo is faster. Live a life of danger!

1 week later
#4405 5 years ago

My trap flap is about to die... it’s half way cracked. Seems like it may be a flawed design

#4448 5 years ago

What is the average response time limit of the JJP tech support when a ticket is opened? Thanks

Usually a day or two.

#4492 5 years ago

Just use blades without adhesive. No issues whatsoever.

1 week later
#4648 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Might be a nice adjustable setting - "SIM Collect: One or All".

This is one rule change I could support. Better than sim carry over.

#4665 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Nah. I’m a glutton for punishment and like the challenge. Maybe someday when I’m sufficiently frustrated at never getting more than 2 or 3 SIM cards.

Once I replaced my JJP protectors with Cliffies, the game became what it should be. I can now get sims with relative ease.

#4695 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I have had lots of out of box issues and several after delivery issues. Service through the online ticketing system works well sometimes and not well others. Calling is usually more effective. When new parts are needed, quite frequently I would have to follow up.
With all the above said, ultimately JJP has made things right and got me the parts and support that I needed.
Frank in support is a great guy and he has been out of office recently due to a death in the family. Paul in the parts department quickly jumped on a confusion in one of my parts orders and got me the parts I need.
They are a great bunch of guys that want to make things right. I do believe they are sometimes overwhelmed but are trying to do all the right things.

I had several tickets due to lack of response until I managed to have Paul get one. He combined my tickets and really took the reins to fix my phone issues. I was also sent new cliffies, a left ramp plastic to stop bounce outs and a new curved center ball guide. I now only need my trap door flap replaced, but that part is on backorder for the near future.

Unfortunately, Paul is no longer with JJP, so he referred me to either Frank or Steve.

If anyone is getting bad service at JJP, the best method is to phone them, so I've heard. I've only done email tickets, but if you think about it, phone information must be written down immediately, and it must be addressed soon, or it will be lost in the mix. Email can sit there on a computer waiting in an orderly fashion forever.

This game is far more complex than anything stern does, so it's going to have some issues. JJP still make the best machines as they allow for serviceable boards etc. These guys are a god-send. Without them, we'd only be lifting bare plafields onto service pegs to look at proprietary node boards without schematics. THANKS JACK AND CREW!!!

#4707 5 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Since when? I just worked with Paul on June 20th.

He just told me yesterday

#4708 5 years ago

The guy who has answered me was Steve. No response since 3 weeks.
I’m outside US (I hope it is not working against me) and sincerely i don’t speak English enough well to call the support service ( in fact it is horrible).
So I just ask that someone answers me and gives me update.

Maybe Steve remembers that freedom fries thing they had going....

1 week later
#4750 5 years ago
Quoted from kharri:

Hopefully they will add more to the selfie mode too. Would like to save some of them

Selfie pervert mode? Extra points for detected genitals?

#4756 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I meant on a per player basis.
So you stick your coin into the machine and it prompts you.
Here in Europe the camera presents many potential legal issues without that option (although I've only seen one on location!)
Neil.

Europe has as much if not more video surveillance as most other first world countries... You're concerned about a pinball machine?

2 weeks later
#4901 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

You guys find that this game had a lot of dirt/dust on it? I've put on about 700 games, but within the first couple of weeks, the factory white rubbers we're already black. Never seen anything like this oney other games.
I stripped most of the pf, cleaned/waxed, and replaced all rubbers with new Titans and will see how long it stays clean.
Just curious to hear from others about this.

Brand New moving parts and magnets equals lots of metal dust. Two minutes with a rag and BOOM! All gone. Normal.

#4904 5 years ago

Anyone else get transparent vertical lines moving across the phone screen at times? They aren't very visible and seem to come and go on mine.

1 week later
#4957 5 years ago
Quoted from kharri:

The first thing they will tell you to do is check all the connections. Unscrew the thumbscrews and pull the connector off at the phone and put it back on. Then trace the wire and re seat any connectors. Be sure to power off first.

No need to power off. It's a VGA signal direct to PC. It will auto detect any changes and reset the signal. Before I recieved a new fixed phone, I had to reset the signal after Boot up all the time.

#4958 5 years ago

Does JJP post updates about dialed in like they do with jjpotc? It would be nice to know a ballpark of when the next DI update is slated for release.

3 weeks later
#5145 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

Ok, I haven’t read this thread, so please don’t stone me if the answer is hidden in here someplace.
I just picked up a DILE and can’t get the backbox open. I’m positive it’s the right key. The key fits and turns a little, but I don’t want to turn it too hard being afraid to break something. Any tricks to get this thing open?

I just turned the key with a lot of force and it opened. The latch is catching on the plastic at the top of the back glass. I just lightly oiled the plastic and now it works fine.

#5147 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Personally, I'd like to see something change with the first multiball. It's too easy and blocks starting a mode when lit. I understand it's probably there to give new players a taste of the fun and features offered by the game without progressing too far, but I kind of dread it.

Hmmm. New one to me. What makes it different than 90% of other MB’s in other games? I think there should be an Uber jackpot to build up to I guess. Also, you want to start modes in mb?? Eliminate it?

#5158 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm not sure what I'd prefer, just complaining.
It just seems too easy. The lock automatically lights after the first mode, then when you lock it through normal gameplay, the phone is no longer accessible to modes. I'm always feeling like I need to get that multiball out of the way in order to progress through the rest of the game. There's no avoiding it. The multiball is fun, but it's awarded so early in the game play, every game, that it almost becomes a chore.

Ah, I get what you mean now. As others have suggested, turning off the BOB lock would likely help with your issue. I get it too, but I find that it is good if you just start a mode, finish the mode, start MB (BOB lock is good here as it helps) and get the SIM associated with the mode you finished/banged. I do think there should be more of a goal in MB, like after collecting all lit jackpots, a super uber Jackpot lights on the side ramp. It would be good if no other jackpots are available until the uber is collected. Repeat, and a super uber lights etc.

#5159 5 years ago

Well, I finally got my phone and topper (a modded mini-monitor) working properly. After three phones, I finally got one that worked. Hooked up the topper, and I found out that VGA signals cannot be split properly without a powered splitter. Then I found out that JJP did not use a properly shielded VGA cable. So I replaced the cable, ordered a cheap Chinese powered splitter and BANG! I have a functional topper with no RF interference and a bright signal.

Anita Goodman looks great on the big screen!
Dialed in TopperDialed in Topper
Up close topper. Powered by 12v system in backbox
Dialed in TopperDialed in Topper
VGA splitter in backbox. Powered by 5v USB from the DI PC
VGA splitterVGA splitter

#5181 5 years ago

Do all of you have a PF that is difficult to seat into the cabinet? I contacted support ages ago about this, and they said that it was an acceptable fix to some sort of geometry issue they had. I find it very annoying as it's tough to push my pf into the cab - really tough. I have an early run game, so I'm wondering if it's a rarity?

#5191 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Mine is the same. I figured out an easy way to get the playfield in. Once I get the playfield in as far as I can normally, then I use my hands/fingers to push the rails forward while also pushing back against the inside edge of the coindoor opening. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip! I don't know why I never thought of using the rails.

#5196 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Is there any way to improve the delay on the phone app? Having a "for fun" tourney on location tonight and it'll randomly have about a half second delay every 10 or so flips.
Also: what does the green button on the app do?

I added an extension USB cable and moved the Bluetooth dongle to the upper part of the coin mech. This helped, but it still lags now and then. The first version of the app worked flawlessly for me. Bummer that they changed it.

1 week later
#5249 5 years ago

I finally set my Sim to stay lit after drains. Okay, I admit that the game gets 20% better with this small adjustment. My apologies to all the pus.. I mean people that I called pussies.

#5258 5 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I’m close. I thought after a month or so I’d master that shot or at least get decent at it.....not even close.

I have most of my other pins jacked up and set to maximum difficulty, so I strive for a healthy challenge in a home environment, but dialed in was frustrating me. I was able to finish all the modes once in a while, especially after installing real Cliffy's, but the furthest I made it on Sims was DIALED, and this only happened once. Usually I get about 3 Sims per game with stock settings. Out of a goal of eight, it's pretty brutal, and I consider myself a good player. Once I turned on sim memory and switched tilt to be 2 warnings per ball like all other modern pins, the game has opened up and feels like my other pins, difficulty-wise.
I am adamantly against nerfing collection games as you can play them till you die, but there are firsts for everything. These nerfed settings should be stock.

3 weeks later
#5381 5 years ago
Quoted from RJL:

Got it. Random and not targeted for the phone scoop. I am not surprised, but one would think eventually a direct hit would go in the scoop, even randomly. On mine it just bounces out. Thanks for the input, you all saved me time trying to fix something that's not broken.

Real Cliffy's allow it to happen more often. Myself, I'd rather it did not happen at all as I like my games tougher rather than easier.

#5404 5 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Wait, what? Are you saying that I can keep hitting the left ramp repeatedly for these points?

Yeah, roll over to right flipper to keep nailing it. Ten ramps I think tops it out. I've done it twice. 130000 or something. Worth it and fun.

#5424 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

The flippers feel different than what I'm used to; not as snappy as Sterns, but I'm learning to get accustomed to them. Still finding the shots. The sub is a subtle improvement to the sound. It's not as overly loud or punchy as I've heard in other games, but it definitely improves it and provides the missing bottom end. All of my moderns games have a sub, so at this point, it mandatory
The game is definitely awesome! Its been on my wishlist since it came out. I've played a handful of games on location, but its completely different at home. I can hear the audio and callouts and make small tweaks that I couldn't with a location game. It plays buttery smooth! I cant wait to explore the code and rules to more!
I'm going to order Titan rings to replace the standard rubber. One of them is already broke. The game doesnt look too bad to get to all of the rings, so that'll be a welcomed improvement.

It's the adjustable coils that make the flippers feel different. The ability to adjust is worth it. My right coil is weaker than my left, for example. Takes about a ball to get accustomed after playing a stern. W/b seem to be closer in feel, but still consistent and therefore different.

#5459 5 years ago

Game geometry and adjustable coils are going to make JJP games feel different. That doesn't mean there is an issue with the coils or flippers or that they are underpowered. In my experience, W/B and Stern games tuned the same feel pretty close to the same aside from occasional geometrical differences. JJP added so many possible adjustments that games are rarely going to feel the same. When I adjust a flipper, it makes a big difference in the gameplay. In my opinion, this is not an issue; it is a welcomed change. I've played other DI copies and just have to spend a few minutes getting used to the setup. No big deal. Now get back to looking up Anita Goodman's skirt.

2 weeks later
#5662 5 years ago

Anybody know if they've stated that this is the final code update? I know the manuals just went out, but I'm hoping there might be future tweaks.

#5687 5 years ago

Anyone find any issues with the manual?

Just got mine today, and there is a printing issue throughout the entire book. I used to work in printing, so I'm maybe picky, but it's pretty bad. It really shows in the last part of the book with the pictures and artwork. Bummed!

This shows the dirty rollers/low ink issue that runs over every other page of the book.
IMG_20181022_184230 (resized).jpgIMG_20181022_184230 (resized).jpg

Here is some smudging. I could only find two pages with it.
IMG_20181022_183904 (resized).jpgIMG_20181022_183904 (resized).jpg

#5690 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

my book doesn't look like that. In fact I'm still blown away by how much ink they used for this manual. It's like the opposite of being green but damn it I appreciate it! I am so impressed with JJP. Make that GnR so I can give you my money!

Thanks for letting me know. I'll contact jjp support.

#5702 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Had two SIM cards lit, ball drained. Launch the ball and hit the sim shot from the upper flipper first shot, then on the return hit the Big Bang and bounced into the sim shot not once, but twice in a row. So drained with two lit, then made the shot three times in a row with three shots. Had to change the game after that one

Switch it to Sims staying lit after drain. I resisted for almost a year, but I finally caved. I now have deep games and enjoy the machine much more. The shot is so difficult that it should have been this way stock. It truly makes the game waaaaaay better. For the record, I jack all my machines up to steep angles and typically set rules to as difficult as possible. The only game I've left stock is The Shadow, and the only game I've nerfed is DI. I've made Armageddon only once on the old code, and I still have only spelled D-I-A-L-E-D with sim memory on, so it doesn't make the game easy. Give it a try. You won't regret it.

#5712 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I tried holding SIM but it felt like cheating. That feeling you get when beating a mode and knowing the next drain will lose your sim is such a rush.
Bring on the new code

I get that criticism. If they added more ways to get light sim it would balance the game better. Stock it feels like buck Hunter: the game is nearly impossible to finish. You should be able to light the sim with a number of jackpots in regular multiballs and after doing well on Bob modes. I wish they left it on stock. Then it wouldn't feel like a nerf. Its nice to see the phone background change into the different backgrounds once in a while, so I find the hold a lesser of evils. I refuse to narrow the outlines!

#5738 5 years ago
Quoted from robm:

Agree with this 100% - you are spot on. I've got all factory settings, and have owned it for almost a year now. Have got to Armageddon 4 or 5 times, but my best SIM card collection is 6 out of 8. To me, this is the perfect balance - the final goal is achievable, but i've got have an absolute cracker of a game to get there. The CIQC and Armageddon modes help you feel as though a decent game has been worthwhile, but not achieving the final mode means you need to keep on working. I love ACDC for the same reason - i've kept it all on factory settings, and had Encore lit once, but couldn't make the shot...i pretty much just smiled when i drained as i knew then it was achievable, even though i didn't get it.
Also, i've played a few other Dialed In's recently, and setup is critical for this game. Two were quite flat, played really slowly and it actually made some of the shots harder and less reliable.

I'm in the camp of disagreeing. I think in a home environment, you should be able to beat your game at least once a year, preferably a little more. How on earth is anyone going to beat it on route?

Every machine I have other than Dialed In is rarely conquered, but it does happen now and then. TZ more than Shadow, Shadow more than STTNG. I love the game, but I see the sim shot as the game's tragic flaw. It is not possible to dial in (no pun intended). Even the most skilled players argue that the shot is too tight and must be approached by finding bank shots and relying on fluke. In my opinion, to balance this issue, you need to be able to light it easier or have it carry over. They could help this issue in the code is what I'm saying.

A generally skilled player finishing a game once per year in a home environment is not asking for too much.

#5749 5 years ago

I love difficulty too. It just seems that the balance is off with stock settings. Look at a game like TZ. Completing the door is doable for most good players. I made extra balls harder to get and no xball carry over so that I complete it once maybe every six to eight months. With DI it just feels like I'll have to have a dream game filled with fluke to achieve something that I should, as a home collector and good player, see now and then. I believe code could fix most of this issue. Sim either needs to be lit more often or sims need to be collected elsewhere as well.

Pinball pal is the only person I've ever heard claim to nail the shot with consistency.

#5843 5 years ago

I find Superbands to make games quite a bit easier because of less bounce. I prefer the old bouncy rubber of yesteryear. My two cents.

#5880 5 years ago

Mine was one of the first ones and I had to contact my distributer. My manual has a pretty severe printing flaw. They offered to replace if I payed half shipping, which turned out to be hella expensive. Going to keep the flawed one. Still works I suppose.

#5938 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Two of my favourite shots in DI are hitting Big Bang while in a mode and the ball drops right into Sim card, and hitting the telephone scoop with the upper flipper when the ball is slowly coming back down the right orbit. I am just starting to understand the nuances of this machine, what a great game!

My favourite: Sucking at a mode, shooting the theatre at high speed and holding the right flipper up so the ball bounces and finishes lighting big bag. Trap left, bump asshole to get him out of the way. Trap right. Nail big bang with one second left in the mode. Return off big bang shot, SDTFM.

1 week later
#6165 5 years ago

All my B/W games are easy as pie to seat. I contacted jjp about this and was told it was a design issue and is now considered as functional. It had something to do with clearance.

If you open the coin door and use the rails, its easier to seat.

It is definitely annoying.

As an aside, Capcom has the best pf access system.

#6171 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. I've never had that happen before. What's the best way to adjust them or bend them back?

Yeah, take them off and use a vice to get them back to square. Also, be sure to use the pf support!

#6179 5 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Next thing i would do would be to loosen all of the screws that hold the shooter housing in place. pull the bottom of the housing out, stick a flat washer between the inside of the bottom area of the housing and the cabinet itself. tighten the housing screws back down (starting with the bottom one). This will cause the shooter rod to tilt down slightly and should alleviate the issue of the c-clip hitting.

I wouldn't recommend this as it will create ball spin, which will create other problems with the right loop/ramp.

#6180 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hmmm. The hooks seem ok, but the metal seat they sit in may be slightly off on the side near the plunger. I'm not sure how to remove or take care of that.
I came up with a lazy man's solution and added a small amount of weather stripping to lift that side just slightly (see last picture). So far it works like a charm. Anything wrong with this approach? Thanks for all the help so far!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Looks like you have a bent lockdown housing. Looks like a factory QC issue to me as the latches should have bent before the entire housing, but who knows. You'd have to take that out and bend it straight.

The only issue with your solution is PF leveling. If your PF is level in relationship to the cab, that would work. I would pull it and fix it or contact JJP support to get a new one. Should't be too hard to fix if you have some shop tools.

#6189 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Just wanted to say I have this same issue, the hooks have never lined up and I have to slam the pf around to get it to settle. I’ll be following your search for a solution

If you mean when you seat the PF after raising it, the seating issue is a design quirk. There is no solution except to get used to finding a good way to get the PF seated. Open the coin door and use the rails to help.

#6205 5 years ago

DI is the only pin of ten in my dungeon without a sub. Soundtrack just doesn't need one in my opinion. News and "day in the life" music sounds just fine without. I dig the sound stock. I guess some mode music (EMP) and chaos would beneifit...

1 week later
#6324 5 years ago

Anyone ever see this on their phone? I had to reset to get rid of it.

IMG_20181122_190118 (resized).jpgIMG_20181122_190118 (resized).jpg

#6326 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just updated to 1.57. Some things seem easier. For instance, it seems to take less hits to start the Quantum Theater modes. Is that right? This probably makes sense as to make it easier to get to QTMB. Also, I now noticed a grace period after a mode ends. One of my modes ended and then I hit big bang a second later and got a completion award. This never happened before, so I believe it is new. Has anyone else noticed that?

Grace period has always been there. Theatre modes are easier.

#6328 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. Never realized that about grace periods before. It always seemed like when the timer ran out, I was cut off immediately.

It runs until you hear/see the end of mode scoring, which is a few seconds after the timer is done. It adds some intense pressure when you're used to it.

#6332 5 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Got qtmb for the first time last night. Started normal mb while it was running and then started a bob mode. Flasher Madness! I loved it!

I've done the same stack. DEADLY!

#6353 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, how do you qualify QTMB? I thought you had to make two shots in each QT mode, but it seems like all you have to do is activate each QT mode whether you make the shots or not. Is that right?

Yessir.

#6391 5 years ago

Why not adjust flipper strength? A weaker left flipper means less phone rejects, less ball jump and general wear and tear. My left flipper is adjusted so that it easily makes the right ramp with a straight on shot but no more than that. My pf angle is cranked up as well. No rejects etc. and no sticky stuff.

#6395 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Left flipper must be strong enough to backhand the left ramp. I need that shot so often when that dang electric guy is blocking the ramp from the right.

I can backhand that ramp with my flipper turned down.

1 week later
#6415 5 years ago
Quoted from jclausing:

Yes it is switch 48 and it does not register at all now.

Check leaf adjustment and wiring connected to the switch.

#6431 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think it goes well.
[quoted image]

I dunno. I'm not a huge fan of the idustrial looking pull-out handles, especially how they contrast with the white cabinet beside it... Just sayin'.

#6433 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Lets see your topper.

Who said anything about a topper?

#6437 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

That took me a minute to get the joke. At first I was thinking what the hell is that guy talking about? Funny.
And, I think that AFM topper looks surprisingly pretty good on DI.

Oh, yeah, that AFM topper? That thing looks dank. Good job, Skyemont!

#6457 5 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

So I replaced the ribbon cable (which had a wire loose) but my Theater screen is still blue...what else is there to do?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Contact JJP

#6498 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

On my machine the upper corner of the phone is slightly touching the glas when pulling out. Only slightly, it's like a rubber moving over a glass surface. If I slightly lift the glass from behind it is not touching it. Is it really mounted that close?

It shouldn’t touch the glass. You should be able to bend the bracket in place. 2 minute fix.

#6508 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Where to bend exactly? It's only slightly rubbing on the upper corner of the phone when moving the glass, nothing big.
And the yellow flash of QED is also very slightly touching the glass when moved to the right position (yellow flash bends back a little bit when reaching that position). Like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm60oszi19dbsiy/DIShield.mov?dl=0
Checked the playfield underneath but it's correctly in the support rails, slope is also correct (bubble at the second marker). Weird.

If both are touching, your PF is too high. Pull the brackets off the machine, put them in a vice (protected for scratching) and bend the hooks up about 4mm. Reinstall and enjoy your game. If the phone is still touching, you should be able to just grab the phone and gently adjust it downward. I've done the phone adjustment myself, but I udjusted mine upward.

#6514 5 years ago

I finally found a way to make this game a rock-solid player. I took the post rubbers off on either side of the sim hole and replaced them with ones I ground down on my grinder. They widen the shot by about 5mm, which makes a HUGE difference. Now I can turn sim memory off. The shot is still very difficult, but the bounce rejects are cut in half, and roll ins have increased by about 20%. I checked with a ball, and you could go more, but I think 5mm feels right.
IMG_20181216_155155 (resized).jpgIMG_20181216_155155 (resized).jpg

#6523 5 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Just to make sure we are talking about the same spot, there is an empty female thread on the bottom left corner of the "Hurry Up" insert. This is between the outlane and the left inlane. I just checked the manual and I only see the post directly under it.

It's called the pussy hole. If you want to be a pussy, move the post to the pussy hole.

#6547 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

You mean the two rails at the left and right of the cabinet on which the playfield rests? Or the ones on the playfield? I do not fully understand - do you have a photo or simple drawing what to do?
On the other side I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to shorten the flash a little bit and bend the phone a little bit downwards (but apart from that the phone is really no big problem as it is only rubbing slightly one the glass when removing it).

I mean the two brackets (hooks) that hold the pf to the lockdown bar bracket. Pull the pf up on its supports, take the screws out and bend them in a vice. Screw them back on and yer done. I would bend them at the corner of the L so that the hook is about 4mm higher. I'm pretty sure W/B have a slot instead of a hole on the brackets so that you can adjust them. Maybe I'm remembering wrong though. I've put some bad things in my brains over the years.

#6572 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, I might try some mylar on the cliffy to keep it taped down.
Someone else tried some mylar on the ramp but it wouldn't "build up" since its not thick like electrical tape.

If you tape down the Cliffy with mylar, it will just bubble up and look like turds. I'd just leave it. It won't hurt anything. If you must fix it, take out the cliffy and gently bend it back straight.

#6676 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

V1.61 is fresh off the press. Nothing further planned at this point.
--Ted

Ever? Is DI code complete?

#6748 5 years ago

Find out the depth needed with nuts/washers. Take an old flipper plunger and hacksaw of the desired size. The chunk will not flip in the coil as it is exact size. I've done this with great results on other pins.

#6751 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Oh wait...after rereading your post...you are suggesting basically making a washer out of an old flipper plunger. I was thinking you were saying...taking that flipper plunger, cutting it to exact size to be used as the new coil plunger.
Anyway....the chunk you are talking about would still be able to 'fall over' in a coil sleeve. The #8 washers are a very close fit to the coil sleeve. In fact..probably tighter than a flipper plunger. Like this ->
[quoted image]
However...after thinking about it...I believe this washer really is a good solution. When I put in a nut, it wasn't near as tight, so it could fall over and then when the plunger hit it, it wouldn't flip back over, also due to its hexagonal shape.
With the washer...its a tight fit so when it falls over, it stays in the center of the coil sleeve, and...I dont' think it can even fall completely on its side because the plunger will hit it. Plus...I just tested it by dropping the washer into this coil sleeve vertically...it always falls flat on its face.
Thus, anytime I move the PF vertically, yeah...the washer might turn...but as soon as I put the PF back down, the coil goes in a vertical position, the washer will then rest flat against the coil stop no problem.

Sounds like a good solution, but if you’re only talking a mm or two, I’d just bend the bracket.

#6771 5 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I just got Armageddon for the first time. I was doing well, down to 2 balls and the power shut down to the flippers. Armageddon ended, no ball in play, both drained. Ball didn't end, no ball in shooter lane, no power to flippers. I tried tilting the game out because it was a decent score, nothing. I shut the game down and it seems to be working fine. 1.60 code. Is this a bug? Maybe a trough issue?

Last time I made it there, my machine froze after it ended. Had to reboot as well. I was hoping it was a one time glitch. I'll take the glass off and get there manually to check if it does it again. It was a huge disappointment to say the least.

#6843 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

What would the issue be if the phone keeps going blank/black during gameplay? If I power down and start back it it starts working again but it's getting annoying

Very old issue. I've had 3 phones and still get this occasionally. I'll probably go though the ticket system again... *Sigh*

#6865 5 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Is it possible the phone is losing its connection from the vibration/shock of the balls hitting the scoop posts?
If I leave my game on for a long time the phone doesn’t seem to go out. But during gameplay it seems to lose the connection or reset (ie the VGA comes on and goes away).
It had not been doing that for a while, but the issue recently started back up again. Maybe the cable connection got loose...I pushed it back in again so we’ll see.
But I am thinking perhaps it’s the shock of the balls that triggers the phone outage.

The VGA screws into the phone, so I doubt it. I have swapped cables and tried a variety of tricks to get it to work. The most recent time I sent it back helped the most. I have a topper that broadcasts the VGA signal, and the toppper always works perfect, even if the phone blanks. I also get the phone reseting the VGA signal repeatedly, so I get the big VGA signal box covering the animations over and over. Better than blanking, I guess.

#6925 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Anyone know how to fix the camera if the pictures it’s taking are the ceiling?

Are you playing on a dark room? The cam needs to "see" your face

#6992 5 years ago

My right flipper used to do the same. It would stop its hold once in a while. For me, it was the flipper button leaf switch alignment. The switches are kinda cheap, and the contact doesn’t seem to be as good as the old school Williams. Even if it looks fine, adjust it so that there is ample contact at full engagement. Again, even if it looks fine, adjust it. As for your flipper wear, how many plays are we talking? I’ve seen metal flaking like yours and simply cleaned it up each time and had years of use out of said flippers. I keep my flipper mechs pretty clean though.

#7014 5 years ago

The phone blanking is not hibernation. I have a topper that displays the same VGA signal, and when my phone blanks, the topper is fine. As for them using cheap parts, where is the evidence that they are cheap? Faulty hardware does not mean cheap hardware.

And the upper pf was definitely designed for nudging. They Whitewood their machines, and Pat Lawler knows Pinball better than any of us.

#7016 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Maybe, but if there is someone here who replaced the phone monitor four times - do you think all four monitors are faulty?
Maybe it has something to do with the cables but on the other hand sometimes I can see a message on all monitors that it's in power save mode, some seconds later it comes to life again.
I still think it comes from the operating system.

I've replaced mine three times and spoken directly to the guy trying to fix the issue several times. It's not a software issue. It's a hardware issue in the phone. It appears to respond to software updates though. Obviously, they still haven't fully solved it. Plug a monitor into the VGA signal and you'll see for yourself. The monitor will never go black.

#7026 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Ok, but then it should cause problems on all machines, not on a small number only.

He's not saying that his issue is exactly the issue here. There are some hardware issues with some of the phones and they haven't fully fixed it yet. Hardware is driven by software and faulty hardware most definitely responds to the software driving it. For example, my latest phone was great until I updated. I too thought it must be software, but it is not. Your argument about all machines can be transposed: if it's software, why isn't it affecting all machines? Again, plug a monitor in.

#7040 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

From my understanding, it is the cable in between the phone and main board that is the issue. Change that cable and you should solve your phone blacking out. It’s the faulty cable possibly causing the phone to short out. Try it and see...

Definitely not true. Try 15 cables and you'll see for yourself. The issue is that either the graphics card stops sending the signal or the phone stops receiving it, hardware-wise. They have ruled out the graphics card as far as I know. They replaced and repaired my phone. It has improved it immensely as I was getting blackouts every game. Now it's not very common, but still exists. I also used to get color casts (yellow) like crazy. I still see this on occasion too.

#7046 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

What's the production date of your machine?

Don't have the date on hand, but mine was one of the first run. Very early production.

#7047 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Great post. I think the name & initial marketing caused many folks off to fly off in a negative direction. A pinball about cell phones? The bluetooth demoware for controlling the flippers remotely didn't help. If the game was called "Chaos in Quantum City", the pesky trolls wouldn't be as vocal.
I love the game. My ONLY criticism is the fairly monotone audio and callbacks (with the exception of big events like "Big Bang", collecting Sim Cards, and MB's).

The original name, "Killer App" would have made it waaaay better. Jack thought it wasn't family friendly, which I disagree. As for callouts, I love the news cast tone. Different strokes..

#7065 5 years ago

The negative responses to DI's theme is somewhat justified as it was/is a little confusing. "Killer app" would have helped to clear up some of the issue in my opinion. I've personally never cared, but seeing the proposed art in the manual made me wish they kept the "killer app" title. That being said, I think the new callouts help a lot with the theme.

#7071 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

What do you mean by new callouts? Which software revisions?
Btw, taking possession of one this week, and admittedly a little freaked out about all the “issues” with phone screens going blank, 1.61 slow performance etc. I’m assuming these issues are anomalies vs systemic? Also, what is the consensus on what software I should be running on? My plan all along was to keep it up to date, but now I’m having second thoughts. What do you all think?

There are callouts about giving the phone back that clarify that you have a bad phone (irony) that is causing problems in the city.

I'm still running 1.56. It is the most robust build imho. I'll wait for a build with less reporting of bugs.

#7080 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

You just described the last phone I replaced.My machine was built April 2018 too. I was told by a JJP tech,that's it's a heat issue that's causing the phones to blackout. Maybe they should have aimed the drones propellers at the phone,so that it would cool down the phone? In my case that still wouldn't help me,since my drones are dead.

Interesting diagnosis. My phone will blank early and then never again for an entire evening...

1 week later
#7181 5 years ago

DI is the only game I have ever adjusted to be easier than stock (sim carry over). Most of my games are adjusted to be significantly more difficult than stock.

In my opinion, you should be able to get close to or make it to the game's grail wizard mode every 150-200 plays, assuming you're a good player. For example, I made my TZ difficult enough that I get lost in the zone in that range of plays. This does not detract from the fun; it makes it WAY MORE fun. The intensity of getting that deep into any game drives my love of Pinball.

I absolutely love DI, but with the rejects from the phone and sim, the game is so difficult that it becomes demoralizing. I die 80% of the time via the left drain. This is because I have to maintain such long ball times to finish modes and collect Sims that is only a matter of time before I lose my kickback and drain. I'm almost to the point of moving the friggin post on that drain, something I consider outright pinball blasphemy!

For the record, I've made it to the modes wizard twice and spelled d-i-a-l-e-d once. I've had IMDN for far less time and have progressed much deeper and more often.

Compared to other Pinball machines, the balance is clearly off with DI. Again, I love the machine.

#7186 5 years ago

Just because I can't beat the law, don't mean I won't keep tryin'!

#7222 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok....my replacement cliffy is already raising up. I installed it 2 and a half months ago, 600 short plays. I'm going to buy a mantis right now.[quoted image]

I find the slight rise has little to no effect on gameplay.

1 week later
#7322 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Looks exactly like the phones,JJP has been sending me since I owned the game. I'm still waiting for my fifth replacement phone to be shipped to me!

I finally got fed up tonight and put in another ticket for my ongoing blanking. 3rd phone for me...

#7326 5 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Did you try loosening all four of the phone case nuts? I did this and am testing to see if it has improved.

Is this a documented fix? This is the first I’ve heard of it. Sounds interesting.

#7327 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I was thinking similarly. I would test by swapping the theater cable over to the phone and running through a game with the glass off to see if it's the phone or something else (if the theater goes blank). After 5 phones seems it seems that there is an issue somewhere else.

Because I split the signal to my topper and the topper never goes black or has color issues, the issue is in the phone. It is getting the correct vga signal, but it somehow loses it. I’m thinking the vga connector in the phone may be the weak link. I would guess vibration is likely causing whatever the issue is. The big disappointment is that this issue is from day one and is still not fixed...

#7329 5 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Someone else posted it in this thread, I believe. I tried it in one side and it worked for a while but then for the first time my phone colors washed out occasionally and the problem still occurred. I was able to loosen the other side slightly the other day and so far so good. But my phone seems to go through “phases”. I think the theory is that loosening the phone nuts gives the internal connections a little more space to avoid the jarring issues. I am convinced that hits to the post jar the phone and then the signal is lost.

Cool. I'll take a look at this when I get some time. I've been meaning to take apart the phone to see the connectors.

#7337 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Does your phone work after you reboot the game? My last phone died on me, and it never came back to life. The one I have now is okay,unless I plan on playing for over an hour,then it blacks out,and the game needs a reboot.

It works after reboot. Sometimes the color is messed up though and I have to reboot multiple times. Very annoying. From my symptoms, I do not see it being heat.

#7352 5 years ago

Pinstadium preference is purely subjective. I prefer more contrast in lighting and despise the dot reflections from pinstadium lighting. I'd remove it on any pin I purchased. That being said, if you enjoy the ultra bright play, go for it.

1 week later
#7402 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

It's the way the sim card hole is angled. The shot is angled perfectly for the side ramp, but the sim card hole sits just below that shot and the hole isnt 100% aligned with the flipper. There's a smaller window for that shot vs the side ramp.
The camera hole in TZ is much wider and the shot is aligned perfectly with the upper flipper, making it much easier to hit consistently.

It sounds like you’re claiming that lawlors design is flawed. It’s not. The shot was designed without a protector.

2 weeks later
#7457 5 years ago

Sometimes you have to take two warnings or a tilt on emp. They need to work on timing the magnets better. It’s a drop through a pulsing magnetic field that requires your absolute attention, that’s for sure.

#7481 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Here is a picture how the diverter looks on my machine - you can clearly see that the lug is touching one side of the wires.
[quoted image]

Getting it between the wireform will help, but if the ball arrives going very slow, it still gets stuck. Pretty rare, but it needs momentum to get edjected off the wireform.

#7497 5 years ago

Proof that the shot is just that hard....

https://streamable.com/nulxj

#7499 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

yep, a direct hit from the upper flipper is not easy, even more with cliffy installed
but as said already (and done it more than few times just few ago on mine), go for the subway with the left flipper, by a rebound on the drone flat rubber
on mine it works perfect, as this was made on purpose... heu... wait... do we already say that Pat surelly design it that way !!! ...
and this shot works also when QED is on the right position
DI is a fantastic game, and the more i play it, the more i know it

It was posted for the comedy of Bowen, not as a serious criticism.

#7523 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Can anything be done about the sound on this thing? Or are we dead in the water until an adjustment is made at the next update? Too much highs and not enough lows..
Just an observation, it seems if my game is on for a long time (3-4 hours), my phone starts to produce noticeable waves in the display background. It is most noticeable on the red or green background while waiting to activate a multiball. I would guess and say that heat is causing an issue with it. If I feel the glass above the phone it is very warm.

I contacted jjp about something similar and other phone issues. They now do not respond to my tickets. I've heard from others that they are getting the same treatment. Bummer as they were awesome with support until recently.

2 weeks later
#7608 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverWings:

This morning I was looking at game reviews of DI and others, and found something I cannot explain: Why is it that the player rating on DI continues to decline, while submitted ratings are consistently high? For example, here's a screen shot of the rating trend on DI, from this morning (lower graph with the blue line):
So I recorded all the ratings submitted from the last 4 months - ie, since Jan this year. In that time there have been 27 ratings added, with an average of 9.005. Yet, the ratings chart shows a continual decline in rating in the same time period: from January to April, DI has gone from 8.575 to 8.541.
Is the rating system screwed up? This cannot be correct, at least as far as I see and understand what's being presented on the ratings page. The last 27 submissions average 9.005, so the game average should be moving UP not down. ???
[quoted image]

The fact that LE's decide ranking destroyed any semblance of an accurate list anyway. This kind of thing becomes moot.

#7612 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverWings:

What I'm putting focus on here isn't the actual ranking of the pin. Its what looks like a bug in the Pinside software to me. Why is the ranking going down, when the data should be driving it up?

Well, you are addressing an anomaly in the ranking of the pin, so it has to do with ranking. The LE issue introduces are far worse anomoly, so I'm just saying it doesn't matter either way. The ranking system is completely broken. Hopefully he'll fix this smaller issue and maybe one day the bigger one.

#7644 4 years ago

Agree that the game is great, but there is one code alteration that is needed that would take this game from great to epic. The left flipper should change the lit Bob targets just like the morph targets in Pinball Magic. If you could move the lit targets, you'd be able to at least have a chance to get through the Bob modes. This would bring the Bob features toward the forefront similar to the theatre mb rule changes. If you've played PM, you'll know just how great this feature would be, as PM's targets light kickback in the same way.

#7674 4 years ago

The rejects on the scoop are a combination of ball speed and scoop positioning. The scoop is often positioned too far forward, so high-speed balls will often bounce out. I just backhand the scoop. The early shot slows down the ball. Get used to post passing and backhanding and showdown will be in your future.

2 weeks later
#7743 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

So is this game pretty much done for code or do they still need to add anything?

It's 95% in my eyes. They just need to make the Bob targets changeable and some sort of final goal to station multiball.

#7744 4 years ago
Quoted from Patrunkenphat7:

DI is clearly one of the best pins ever made... I have space and budget for 4 high end pins, and I’m eyeing JJP games. Do you all feel that DI is somewhat similar to what we’ve seen on Wonka? Would people here consider owning both in a small collection or go for more diversity? Thanks in advance!

Lawlor designs games with similar strategy, but they are always very different. I can't think of any of his games that play and feel too similar. DI and Wonka would be fantastic. I don't love Pirates as much as others, but pinheads rave about it. That would be a killer lineup. All that being said, it is nice to have some older machines for a different feel. I'd suggest TZ (older Lawlor) and maybe a Stern IMDN for some snappy, high speed and deep code.

#7766 4 years ago

Yeah, the newer code is way better for SDTM drains, but you do lose kickback a lot because of it. It is a lesser of evils. My advice is to keep your game level, update your code (I'm one shy of the newest, and it's running fine), and pull your sleeves up and say "oh shit" when EMP starts. Oh, I also have my tilt setting on "per ball." Per game is not really fair with a middle magnet game. I have to do some nudging during EMP for sure. I used to hate the mode, now I see it like the power ball. It's crazy fast and difficult, but rewarding when you finish it.

#7779 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I’m becoming a big believer in this idea. It has been weeks if not months since I’ve gotten to one of the crazy Bob MBs. I really like them and would like to see them more. They are a lot of fun and would add tremendously to the game if you could get to them. Also, I never advance beyond 2x bonus multiplier since it is so hard to achieve.
Here’s hoping they are listening and do it. It would seemingly be an easy tweak.

Yeah, I use this feature in pinball magic way more than I thought I would. It would complete the code for Bob. I usually get one Bob multiball, 2x, and x ball, but that is based mostly on ball time and fluke as the lower target is almost impossible to hit, plus the angle of that low shot is extremely dangerous. I'm good at shooting the upper and middle though. JJP please play a few rounds of Pinball magic to see just how great this feature would be!

#7813 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Has anyone here NOT taken the mylar off their magnets?

The ball will shred the Mylar, so it's either coming off neat and clean or shredded.

1 week later
#7839 4 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I'm going to order one. The springs are correct. Honestly looking at it I don't know you could screw it up. Thanks!

Check your assembly of the rod and housing according to the manual. Sounds like they may have a assembled it incorrectly at the factory. That shouldn't be happening, let alone so quickly.

#7842 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

it's kind of meaningless, it worked for me using my android phone, but I never used it. All you can do is flip with it, not very fun and just gimmicky.

After the very first code update, it work flawlessly and it was super fun if playing with more than one player. The utilization of bang and lack of nudging changes the game completely. Standing further away from the machine or beside it is super fun too. The issue is that there are so many freakin' phones and different handling of bluetooth. I really wish they could put some resources toward it as I, for one, miss it dearly. Seeing the jaws drop when people first see it is worth it.

I can get mine to work if I reboot/recoonnect cycle my phone. After I get it to connect, it's laggy enough that it's not worth it

1 week later
#7924 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Anyone heard of this happening on 1.57 before?

Same thing happened to me. Very sad day in the game room. Hopefully it's been reported. For the record, I did not report as I'm not running the most current software.

#7931 4 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

At 1.57, I feel it’s 100% complete. Any additional polish is just GRAAAAVY at this stage. There’s literally nothing more I could personally ask of the game. I’m sure they’re some nuances I could point out if I tried hard enough...

Absolutely needs the changeable Bob targets. It's the last "need" rule to complete the game. After that, gravy.

#7947 4 years ago
Quoted from Nickrc3:

#922 - 1.61 - Been playing DI now for two months, usually getting destroyed and somewhat frustrated over very brief ball times and killer SDTM drains.
I decided to follow some advise from this thread and set up the machine for player-friendly operation - 6.5 pitch, flipper strengths, and 'easy-difficulty' mode. Left 3-ball active.
After two weeks on these settings, I achieved a 2M+ score and made it to Showdown.
My questions:
Is there a source of information or can someone explain these advanced modes, what to expect and what to achieve? PM me if necessary.
I must say, didn't quite know what was happening in this specific mode other than it appears as the player is now observing the control room of Quantum Electric Co.? What is this about? The fast pace, constant feed of multiball's is incredible!
I've got to say, DI is by far the most advanced pinball machine I've ever played in four decades. Seriously, this machine is absolutely awesome in every aspect - cool, original theme (though I still don't thoroughly understand it), code/modes, toys, graphics, quality of audio, shaker integration, call-out's, and especially the lighting. The lighting-blows me away!
I love my AFMr-LE, but DI is in a league of its own and certainly justifies its price tag.
What a product!

Tried the low pitch and couldn't handle it. My games must be jacked for speed, and I find the game plays waaaay better. For new to moderate players, this game requires quite a bit of practice as DI has unique shots and rebounds that can be lethal, not to mention JJP's unique (good) flipper feel. My only issue with the machine (and you've all heard this way too many times, I know) is the BOB targets. I die 80% of the time via left drains, expecially with the new Q.E.D. guy behaviour pushing the ball to the left quite often. When I cannot relight kickback because of a nearly impossible shot, I know it's just a matter of time. This is super frustrating, so much to the point that I was considering selling. This is supposedly on the next code list, so I'll hold out. I've made armageddon twice, and I've almost made showdown a few times. Left drain prevents showdown for me.

1 week later
#8026 4 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

no, it shuldn't be that way out of the factory, the game is too easy that way.

If it is, either you have it set up too easy or you should be competing with the pros.

1 week later
#8128 4 years ago

I don't agree with Marvin's tone and delivery, but I do generally agree with what he's saying. You can put an old sock behind the flippers if you want to, but it won't improve your game. I think you should have sensitive slings and sensitive tilt in a home environment. This will teach you good nudging skills. If you're getting drains, you need to adjust your play.

On a side note, I actually find slings that do not respond well to the ball hits to be more challenging. The rebounds create odd angles that require nudge-slap-saves to keep the ball in play.

I don't think anyone's a wuss or anything for adjusting their own game, but I just wouldn't recommend nerfing. Play more instead.

P.S. - I have my game set to tilt warnings per ball and Sim carry-over, but these are code adjustments

#8166 4 years ago
Quoted from PjM:

camera is on in settings! test report shows no camera found! Headphone suggestion I will do tomorrow.

Follow the line from the camera to the computer. I'm not sure how it's connected, but follow the cord. Sounds like you have a bad connection.

1 week later
#8317 4 years ago

Awesome to see an update. Also bummed about the rotating bobs as it would fix the only flaw in the game.

#8428 4 years ago

They should never have upgraded the cpu mid production. That is just asking for inconsistent software performance. The only good solution would have been to upgrade the older machines. Bad, bad move JJP. To me, it feels like the company is ignoring problems because there are quite a few with each of their games and the fixes will be expensive. Love the company and my DI (1.57), but I’m pretty pissed that I have been punished with weak hardware because I ordered fresh out of the gate. Never again. Next time I’ll wait at least a year.

#8459 4 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

If they had installed all 2.8Ghz processors in their machines, you'd be happier?

If you mean that all games have the same performance for cost by either keeping it the same or upgrading early adopters, then yes, I'd be happier.

#8527 4 years ago

One Point Five Seven

#8584 4 years ago

Thanks to all that have posted about the CPU swap. I think I can speak for eveeryone on here that your efforts are really appreciated. I had minor slow down on 1.56 and a little on 1.57 (same places ppl are mentioning).

It looks like the CPU may not be the problem if a swapped CPU still produces the delays in video. To me, the Celeron should be able to handle the machine easily as there's not nearly as much going on as a full blown PC. Still wish mine had the better CPU...

It'll be interesting to see what a GPU swap does as the hardware title implies (graphics processing unit) that it would likely have more of an effect on graphics. If I remember, the GPU is only a 512mb. I'd say a gig of memory should be the minimum, considering the amount of graphics this machine pushes to two screens. Maybe the phone uses onboard, while the backbox uses the card?

Ted has been mum on all of this, so he must be busy tightening up Wonka. We're probably going to have to wait until Wonka has 90% complete and stable code. Anyone have a Wonka and can comment on its code progression?

#8591 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

CPU has been good since I have done the swap. No issues on about 25 games so far. I am getting an updated GPU today to test with the old processor to see if it helps at all with the slowdown on the old Celeron. If it does, it's much cheaper and even simpler to install. I will update once I have it today and get it all swapped out.

Yeah, that will be a cheap and easy fix. Used GPUs are easy to pick up for dirt from gamers who upgrade. Excited to hear your results. If I was in Texas, I'd buy you a steak and a beer, my friend.

#8601 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

So GPU test on hold. UPS shows package delivered, but it’s not here. Check cameras and never saw a package dropped. Thinking it was delivered elsewhere...

Damn! And on a Friday!

#8613 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Just updated. Everything is fine. Got 3mill on my first game on this code.

And are you running the celeron?

2 weeks later
#8808 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

. JJP will not OWE you a new CPU.

They owe all of us a game that works as planned (meaning with latest code features), especially for the price. If that means a cpu in the mail, so be it.

2 weeks later
#8946 4 years ago

The apron lights are used as a flash for the camera.

#8957 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not bright enough and too far away. Pirates and Willy don't have them.

Pretty sure mine flash in selfie mode. I don't see how they'd interact with the cell phone or help with that. Either way, they do seem to help with the camera.

3 weeks later
#9134 4 years ago

Just trying to update from 1.57 to 1.60. I have the ISO on the thumb drive, but when I boot, it flashes "Missing Operating System" then boots 1.57. I have an 8gb USB stick that I've used for other full and Delta updates, so the drive has worked before. I've also downloaded the file three times, upacking it each time with no success. I've also tried two different USB ports (the extended and one directly on the computer). Any thoughts?

#9137 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you follow the instructions for a full install on the website ?
Use unetbootin to put the download on the USB stick. After 15-20 minutes when it's done. Go to game, turn it off. Open coin door and insert the USB stick in the USB cable by the cash box. Turn game on. Watch updating stuff run. When the screen says complete remove USB stick and reboot ( turn game off, wait 10 seconds and turn back on ) ?

I did use unetbootin. I've followed all the instructions about ten times. This last attempt, I'm getting this:

DIUpdate (resized).jpgDIUpdate (resized).jpg

In white it says *Ubuntu

The unpacked ISO is 4.09gb on the thumb drive, which seems about right... Drive is FAT32.

#9139 4 years ago

I think I found the issue. I didn't click the button "Disk Image" on Unetbootin... I've used it before and skipped the details. I'll report back if this is the fix.

#9140 4 years ago

Well, that didn't help. Still "Missing Operating System." I'll try again tomorrow.

#9192 4 years ago

I'd say Whirlwind is the best mode as you can get the whirlwind combo and Anita Goodman has, by far, the best callouts. I adore her! Worst is, by far, EMP. It's fun to play, but I die 80% of the time. They should give unlimited kickback and a short ball save for that mode to make it less shitty. No mode should cause you to trap up or die.

#9193 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I’m having the same issues. Going from 1.61 to 1.73 will not work. I’m trying a diff usb stick tonight.

Did your other drive work? I'm kinda bummed because the drive I'm trying has worked for every other update (8gb). I don't see why it's suddenly rejected.

#9217 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Let me try reformatting it. I did delete everything on the usb stick but did not reformat it.

I reformatted mine each time. Still the same issue...

#9221 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

How did you reformat it? Fat32, ExFat, or NTFS?

Fat 32. I think the issue that I'm having goes beyond the flash drive. If the drive isn't working, I shouldn't see "operating system not found" or the Ubuntu boot screen. These both mean the OS is accessing the drive. Skymont appears to have the same issue.

I also tried a full format rather than quick format. Same issue.

#9224 4 years ago

I've tried a different usb port on the PC and the extended usb port for the bluetooth.

Here is what is on my flash drive (3.33GB):

ScreenJJP (resized).jpgScreenJJP (resized).jpg

#9233 4 years ago

I am trying to update from 1.57 to 1.60 so that I can then do the delta update. I have followed the instructions from the JJP website, and I have reread the instructions several times.

I have used this flash drive to do previous full and delta updates. I do not use it for anything else, so it just sits in the coin box. I'll get another stick tomorrow, but I'm almost positive it's not the stick. The game is accessing the stick each time. It's just not liking what it sees.

#9242 4 years ago

I have experience programming etc, and, yes, this isn't rocket science. I have done a full reformat and unpackaged the update via the simple instructions. I'm getting a Ubuntu OS screen, so the stick is working. It's something to do with the files. I'll download from another mirror and compare. Then I'll figure out the folders and see what's up. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to spend the time...

#9278 4 years ago

Finally was able to upgrade.

- had to use a memory card in a usb adapter for the upgrade to 1.6.
- had to remove the top folder of the unpacked zip on my original flash drive to upgrade to 1.73.

Runs great so far. Dig the rocket.

1 week later
#9342 4 years ago

My magnets are nuts during EMP. I die within 15 seconds 80% of the time. Fun mode, but crazy dangerous. I'd say a short ball save would balance out the difficulty.

#9346 4 years ago

I do have my magnets set to medium. I think the theatre should throw the ball back in every case. The electric guy ends up guiding the ball down the left drain half the time if it drops it. Better to just throw it back.

1 week later
#9424 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

just got a bug i've never seen before :
was playing ARMAGEDDON
mod ends, balls out, got to see the points made, get the city screen back, all was ready to continue, but than no new ball in the shooterlane, save ball insert was blinking nonstop at high speed, no ball search, even can't tilt the game, nothing...
someone else ?

Yeah, pretty sure this was a bug. Biggest let-down bug in pinball history for me! I haven't made it back there to confirm it's been fixed.

#9427 4 years ago

New code is giving me inconsistent coil power for the phone scoop, and the voices do not match as well as 1.57... might have to try the processor swap.

#9433 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

I am on v1.73 and could not see a test option in set-up can someone please confirm where the test mode is.

Think it's in the coil test. Scroll down and you'll see each of them.

#9436 4 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

I'm tired of looking at the factory guys initials on the Monkey Wrench, High Voltage Mulitballs so I made a solid effort to go for them and knock them down. I failed. I got to the Bob's Muliballs but didn't do well enough to knock it down. I know the lower B in the BOB standup can be tough to get but it does happen and they spot you the first one on default. I accepted that they will probably not update the programming to cycle the BOB shots. It a fun strategy if you get tired of slamming through the modes.

I really, really hope they do update the code for BOB targets. It's the only thing the game needs to make it top 5. Without it, BOB awards become an afterthought, a fluke award that is nice once in a while.

#9454 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

earlier talks with Joe :
* BOB targets : he knows we would like to have an update, but they (the coders team) discussed it, and for now answer is no change there
* showdown : same... and in this case he said that's the remaining part needeed a better touch, for making the end of the game more explosive
that means we should hope to have almost 1 more update

Big time bummer. I've been considering selling the game as the BOB targets are so frustrating. If I cannot skillfully light a kickback that is drain-happy, the game becomes a bummer. I can't see that coding being that difficult if CapCom could do it in the 90s...

#9463 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

let's admit its not a coding problem of course but simply the way they wanted the game to play

If that was a response to me, I see it as a coding issue, or worse - a design issue. The lower target can be hit, but the shot is brutally difficult. I can't see how they would want it to play that way. The design issue can be fixed with code though...

2 weeks later
#9523 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I'll say it. This is not a bug. Playing on your mobile device is a gimmick that turns your real pinball machine into a virtual pinball machine.
Cool to try for sure and kudos for being the first game with this type of remote play but please do not spend any development cycles making enhancements to this functionality.
I know we all want our machines to work 100% but if my/your dongle doesn't work it just doesn't matter or impact game play a bit. To me, this remote not working is as much of an issue as getting a scratch on the bottom of a leg leveler.

I don't see it as a gimmick at all. It's really fun to play the game from a phone as it changes gameplay in interesting ways. I'd welcome some improvement on the app.

#9569 4 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

I know I have said this before but it was a while back. The upper playfield is important when you are going for multiball the second time and you have to lock them in the train station. When the diverter is down, a fast shot up the left ramp will usually have the ball fall out the back of the playfield and into the skill shot. It will then feed the upper right flipper for a shot on the train station lock. Very clever and extremely useful.

This rarely happens on my build (like 1/20 fast shots). My game is really steep though.

1 month later
#9753 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

All I want is to be able to change the BOB target lights with the flipper buttons, but it seems that may not be in the cards.

Yeah, I'm holding out for this. I have been asking for it for a long time, and mentioned it in the google group ages ago. If they do a final update and it's not in there, I'll sell my game. I know it sounds a little extreme, but the BOB problem actually ruins the game for me at this point. Without being able to strategically manage kickback, like Pinball Magic or STTNG (all targets can be hit), it loses its appeal in a home environment. Without the software fix, the targets are a design flaw. There's no other way to see it.

1 week later
#9815 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Hey fellas I’m a new proud owner of DI LE any tweaks or recommendations of Mods I need to make For this game play great or protect for future issues?

Bunch of them mentioned in detail throughout this thread. Search function is your friend.

4 weeks later
#9874 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I finally have this game "Dialed In" the way I like it and thought I would share a few things in case it helps others.
Leveling the Game
I screwed in the feet all the way flush to the legs on all 4 - and it was darn near perfect at 6.5. I made a few back and forth trips under the machine again to raise up the rear right foot until the theater magnet would stop releasing the ball back straight down the middle for cheap drains. The game is still level from side to side, but this is the one tedious adjustment I recommend doing
Left Orbit Shot and Flipper Strength
There are a few things I had to deal with here, and I created most of the problems on my own. I had thought the main flippers had a bit too much droop initially and I decided to raise them up a bit to be more square with the rails - this was a mistake and the result was a limp left orbit shot most of the time that would dribble off into the pops.
I put the flippers back down a bit (see pic below) and that seemed to help some, but still it felt weak on some shots - mostly right flipper shots to the left ramp and again the left orbit.
It turned out that the leafs needed some adjustment on the flipper switch to make contact at the very end of the button press, but the main issue was that the flipper shaft itself was not gapped correctly. The pawl was up too high and it was binding a tad on the bushing (essentially there wasn't enough up/down play on the flipper if you pulled the bat from the top)
I finally settled on putting my flipper strengths to
Upper Right - 16
Left - 21
Right - 23
Result is that every shot is hit smooth and with power, including the left orbit (when you hit the shot solid of course) that brings it back around to the upper right flipper
Theater Magnet
I'm on 1.73 and have the Magnet set to -90 and also using the TEST LAB setting in Game settings
I realize every game is different but wanted to share. I can't believe how much better the game is playing now, it's like night and day and flows amazing.
[quoted image]

I cranked the back end up almost as high as it can go as with all my games and against the recommended settings. Game is twice as fast and is more difficult, perfect for a home environment. I also adjusted my flippers so that you must hit the ramps with accuracy to make them. If not, you get rejected. It's nice that there are so many options with adjusting this game. Now if they'd just fix the damn BOB rules </endlessrant>.

1 week later
#9906 4 years ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

What is recommended to clean the invisiglass? Thanks in advance.

50% alcohol (I use the 99% alc kind) and 50% good ol' tap water. I've been using this for years. Invisiglass is just like eyeglasses, and it is recommended to use this mixture. The canned stuff will work as long as it is amonia free. I just by packs of alcohol from Costco and use a big spray bottle. I wipe my playfields with a rag wetted with the same stuff. It evaporates almost instantly and cleans beautifully. The pure alcohol is great for cleaning electronics as it does not conduct electricity. I stuck an old cell phone in a pool of it, and it ran just fine, fully submurged.

#9959 4 years ago

I see the B.O.B. targets are not selectable by the flippers... Sigh... If I had a pinball Genie and one wish, this would be my pinball wish.

#9981 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Give it up. Someone in the beta test group asked again. JJP responded that it was brought up to the coders group and was a emphatic "No" … and would not be in the future … very strong response on that with gifs and whatnot. No budging on that I guess.

Give up commenting on a flaw in a pinball machine on a pinball forum about said machine? No thanks.

#10007 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Tranq, are you sling shot power set really low? If so, turn them up a little and you will never have a problem getting that lower B target.

Mine are stock. Would that be low?

#10016 4 years ago

The only stinker is demo, and with the right rom, it's decent. Shadow is in my top 3, above dialed in. It's a fabulous game. Dredd is super fun. That's a fair to good trade imho for the guy with DI. Variety is worth a lot to me.

#10018 4 years ago

If I didn't have two of them already, I'd consider it. Those games are great games.

#10026 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Size of the collection is a good point.
I'm trying to reduce to 6 slots, therefor it's more focused on really good games.
Shadow is great, fast and interesting but I'm not so fan of the comic or the movie, so it's not so appealing.
Judge Dread has plenty of things to do and my kids were in love with the supermodel start. The theme is really well done and fun.
Demo is lower in term of interest, never bothered to get one at home.
But at the end, I turn on dialed in, lightshow is wonderful and all ramps are butter smooth. It's really more challenging than the three other ones. That's the new generation and side by side, these three get old fast.
With a DI LE NIB I'd go for a 2-1 swap with bigger titles.. Eg : JP or Deadpool, LOTR, Spiderman..

Di more challenging than Shadow? You must be playing it without an incline.

#10030 4 years ago

I love DI, but I find DI and Shadow to be apples and oranges. I find shadow to be more challenging in general and DI to be more repetative. DI is pretty simple if you want to crush scores: Bash dude, start mode, light bang, BANG, get sim. Rinse, repeat while completing easier modes. Multiballs, BOB modes and the theatre don't mean much in comparison. To finish the game, you have to marathon, which isn't exactly bad. It's just different.

Shadow's ramp changers are awesome for setting up shots and big points with vengeance, and the mini playfield is on par with the power in TZ. Scoring is balanced enough that everything is worth going for, and shots are pretty tough, particularly the mode/xb shot. I have all my games (including DI) cranked to maximum steepness, so maybe this is what makes my shadow so challenging.

#10035 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Cliffys are already installed,
Any feedback of other owners that removed their playfield protector?
Thanks folks for your advices

Good decision: PF protectors are trash.

Watch the ball eject from the phone scoop and put a piece where the ball hits/spins when it comes out. Ball drop from the lock. That's it.

If the previous owner didn't cut the mylard around the magnets. Do that as well.

#10041 4 years ago

What is the consensus about inconsistent coils on this game? I stayed on 1.57 for ages because of these issues, and now I have them. My phone scoop sometimes shoots it out normally, but other times it'll just poop it out or somewhere inbetween. My theatre magnet is now acting up as well.

I have adjusted the coils and the theatre magnet many times, so this is not the issue. It is inconsistent.

Is this a new processor need, seeing that I'm one of the lucky Celeron owners?

This game has been nothing but problems since I bought it. I love the game, but way worse than any machine I've owned.

3 weeks later
#10194 4 years ago

Wanna kick some ass in a Dialed In tournament?

Hey guys, I'm trying to set up an online tournament for next Friday (April 17th), and I'm trying to recruit participants that have one of the games I have. I'm going to be posting this in each of the forums for the games I own, so I apologize in advance if you get this more than once.

The tournament would be on a single game and take place over zoom. It sounds like it could be a hell of a good time.

Please head over here for info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/online-tournament-over-zoom-#post-5587755

#10248 4 years ago

I took some old rubbers and ground them down so they are almost like sleeves for the posts around the sim shot. This helped a lot. Can sink direct shots, but they are still hella tough.

1 week later
#10288 3 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Well, I just got my DILE and I have played just a few games on it: so far, so good. Just an 'FYI" observation. Sales for this game must have been incredibly slow because my NIB game has a 'born on date' of 7/11/2018! I guess the good news is that date precedes all of the play field bubbling and chipping problems and likely was built by a 'seasoned' assembly crew. At least I can hope so.

Depends on your distro, unless you ordered direct I suppose...

#10321 3 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Won't the balls get damaged really fast with an exposed metal post? First time a ball hits that post squarely will result in a pretty large burr in the ball that will in turn damage the playfield.

I doubt you'd see much at all. There's metal on metal all over play fields and sewers.

That said, I've been wanting to put heat shrink around the posts of the sim. Just haven't gotten around to it.

My main concern is damage to the pf. Rubbers soften the blow from my balls. That hole may get widened....

2 weeks later
#10448 3 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

The game plays so much different now that I don’t even care if the phone scoop gets minor wear. Takes this game to the next level when you can make the shots the way they were designed.

Did you add Mylar or total raw doggin' it?

1 week later
#10504 3 years ago

I'm going to take off the scoop cliffy likely this week, and I'm going to cut a piece of mylar to surround the scoop and cover the distance the ball flies out. I'm going to take a look at the Sim hole as well for mylar.

#10542 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

100% agree. You are making the game sing, the energy is high, and the point values don’t correlate and it’s a huge disappointment. It’s like why even play the mode aside from the experience? It’s not particularly valuable. It’s my biggest beef with the game. The other multiballs are similar. “Oh great, my super jackpot is worth 7,500 (or whatever). Big woop.

You need to score a bunch of regular jackpots and then nail a super jackpot (I think it's the side ramp? Can't remember). I've had huge scores in chaos MB and it would be imbalanced the other way if they raised it. Just think ramps. Right flipper, left ramp, left flipper right ramp. Nail the side ramp when you can. When you're down to two balls, you can play somewhat controlled, even with the attacks. I can't recall exactly, but I think I've nailed around 15 jackpots for scores in the 2-300k range. Don't quote me as I don't memorize as I play, but they were big scores. If you dump them all right away with only a few jackpots (has happened to me many, many times), you get a well-deserved participation award.

1 week later
#10579 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I cringe every time I hear/read that! The idea of setting a machine up anything other than level just doesn't sit well with me at all!.

This is true with me too, but exact level is almost impossible to active, let alone maintain if you nudge. Mine still reads level after adjusting for sdtm drains, so don't worry. EMP is currently the only design flaw for sdtm as the magnet does not affect the ball a lot of the time. I just get ready for a warning/tilt each time I shoot the theatre during EMP. Really sucks when it doesn't perform as designed.

#10621 3 years ago

I'm glad my game is cranked up to maximum angle. Why would you want to be able to backhand the ramp? Put it on five ball and stick a sock in the drain hole while you're at it!

#10624 3 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Even making the game steeper reduces the side to side movement of the ball, making it easier to keep the ball away from the outlanes.
It also makes it easier to trap the ball if you play more of a control type player.

To counter that, center drains happen far more often and ball speed is increased significantly. I get tons of high speed Outlander drains My games are waaaay harder jacked up, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

#10625 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Since when was backhanding a shot making a game easier? There's no correlation between the two.

Totally makes it easier. Limiting shots on a flipper makes a game more difficult. Common sense. If I'm in a mode that's timing out and need the ramp from the left flipper, a backhand would make it quicker and easier.

#10629 3 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

In my experience centre drains happen most often from a missed shot off a post or a stand up that rockets down the middle. Rarely does the ball come to rest at the top of the playfield and then the slope of the playfield takes the ball down the middle.
I didn't say that increasing the slope made the game easier, I said it makes certain aspects of the game easier. Obviously there are aspects it makes more difficult but to me it's never made the games way harder, unless it's so steep the flippers can't make the shots.
I was only responding to your comment about 5 ball and socks in the drain. Making your playfield an extra degree shallower isn't even close to the same thing.

Well, I would assume you'd know that I wasn't being literal with the sock. Shallower angles make each of every machine I've ever owned easier. I used to live shallow games back in the arcade days as replays were easier. Just sayin.

I prefer games steep, fast and difficult. The more the game forces strategy, the better. My assumption (and seemingly others on here) is that a backhand for the ramp is not intended design.

If you like lower and slower, that's great.

#10633 3 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Has there been any consensus on the benefit of upgrading the processor?

I'm thinking of replacing it as I still have delays in the characters and sound. Bummerz

#10639 3 years ago

Yep, with 1.73. Regret updating. My phone coil misbehaves now too. Rarely, but it does. Almost all of the voices for modes are off sync.

#10665 3 years ago

Bluetooth is awesome when it works. Not a gimmick at all. Super fun for tournaments.

2 weeks later
#10742 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'll tell you what is super frustrating about my particular game: the phone scoop kick outs are absolutely random. Half the time they come out the way they're supposed to, and the other half the come out to the right and hit the right sling. Like how does one make this consistent?!

Could be magnetized or a Celeron...

#10759 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

$16.99 For all three

Was that just the world's shortest auction?

2 weeks later
#10820 3 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Is adjusting outlanes and flipper strength considered "cheating"?

Yes, to outlanes, no to flippers.

#10830 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

How can it be cheating if the factory set it up to be adjustable? Play the game how you enjoy it. Obviously you can't compare a score on an adjusted game to a factory game, but you can't really compare scores anyway. There are so many variables. Set it to 5 ball, crank up the flipper strength, close the outllanes, see some modes you've never seen, have fun with your $8,000 game without feeling bad about what someone said on a forum.

It's all semantics. Cheating, altering, improving... I gave up on the standard rules after I realized that with a steep setup, I'll never get all the sims without carryover turned on. I consider it a small cheat. If I get to showdown, I'll feel that I used a little cheating to get there. Outlanes are adjustable, but the designer choose a standard setup of difficulty. I'd consider it a pretty big cheat to change them, but as you said, if you own the game, go nuts.

2 months later
#11023 3 years ago

I put a few hours on Wonka and prefer Di by far. Wonka shoots smoother, which I didn't believe possible, and it is freakin combo city. The crazy endless combos are insanely fun at first, but...

I found the game extremely easy compared to DI. The gobstopper shot was a bit challenging until I learned the backhand and that was about it. The upper flipper is easy to shoot but it's a little annoyingly blind. I still got the shots, but couldn't watch them.

Di is simpler, less smooth but far more challenging. I love the phone characters too.

#11034 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Thanks for the comments. I agree, if the ball has enough speed it will stay on the outside borders of the orbit due to the centrifugal force and bypass the skill shot area and the pops entrance smoothly. It still has to jump over the right ramp diverter. My trapdoor is not broken, I’ll double check, but I think it lays flat and I don’t really register any resistance when the ball is going over it. I don’t think, though, I’ve ever had a left orbit shot which zips around and comes out on the right side at high speed (like for instance on MM).

It's designed to be slow so that you get the pops a lot of the time.

1 week later
#11060 3 years ago
Quoted from crackpin:

My DialedIn Phone screen broke... While I am waiting to get a new screen, still wanted to play! So decided to use a Real Phone instead... Still working on it but I am making progress... Yea that's a iphone you see in the picture! I connected my phone thru wifi / network to the phone display of my dialedin using VNC! Still need to make some adjustment, it's only a Proof of concept at this point...[quoted image]

Dude, that is fucking awesome!

#11084 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Replacing the balls should be done every couple of hundred games. Replacing the rubbers is an opportunity to make the machine your own. Change out the colours to how you like it. I used mostly Titans. Change the flipper rubbers frequently for a change.
Check the report for errors. Also do a device check. Tests>devices . Stuff like the Theatre ball flick back can be adjusted.
I can’t see this game made again or anything like it. There are too many mechs in it to be a machine sold profitably at a reasonable price. The day will come when people will look back at opportunity lost.
[quoted image]

Or you can not worry and enjoy the game. I have a friend who is still routing machines from the 90s with original balls, and the PFs are just fine. That was when the clear was 90% thinner... I examine balls now and then. If they have a gouge, I'll replace them. I'd put my new machines up against anyone else's. They look great!

#11086 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

Carbon steel balls will resist becoming magnetised better than ordinary steel balls. They also can be subject to denting. If you want odd shaped balls in your machine that’s fine, I like round ones.[quoted image]

I said I check them. I guess I should have clarified that dents count along with gouges. Every couple hundred games? Nah...

1 week later
#11141 3 years ago
Quoted from tilt-master:

I found a break in one of the QED guy flasher wires. It must have caught on the white plastic guide when QED was going side to side. My guess is this is when in shorted out

Just have to find the part number and get out your soldering iron and magnifying glass.

#11151 3 years ago

This is a pretty damned good deal. $50 + $3 shipping to Canada! Bought an extra set. May as well, for this price!

jjpplastics (resized).jpgjjpplastics (resized).jpg

#11260 3 years ago

I had to use a flash card plugged into a usb adapter to get the last update to work. I tried 6 thumb drives then thought what the hell, I'll try it. The 32gb card worked. Keep trying different usb sticks etc. I don't know why it's so finicky.

3 weeks later
#11497 3 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

Hi everyone, I just purchased this Mod for my Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle but I thought of my Dialed In and that cheap five and dime spider that's on the sign. I was hoping somebody would make a spider mod for Dialed In. I've wondered why more mod makers don't make stuff for multiple games since many mods would fit in other games if they just changed the paint job.
I am just looking for a little feedback from anyone here on what they think of this spider Mod by Cento. I left the other spider on for comparison. Here's what I'd like to know. Should I keep it or get rid of it? Exchange it with the one that came in the game and put it on the sign? Paint it to match the one of the sign? Put is somewhere else or leave it where it is? I kind of think the one on the sign was just a cheap toy Jersey Jack purchased in quantity and the color scheme doesn't really mean anything. I kind of like the black widow.
There are quite a few places you can attach this Mod right by the spider insert. I didn't even screw this is. The wire attached to it wedges in kind of perfectly and you can bend it to change the angle on the spider.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would recommend that you choose the spider toy.

1 week later
#11523 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

I don’t like that I have a hard time post passing on this game, anyone else? I just ordered my second. NIB, Jurassic park from stern and find stern games let you control the ball a bit better but there’s something really special about a JJP

The flippers are more like older W/B flippers, but even a little different than those. I consider it a good thing as you'll need to get used to post passing with different flippers. Some games (like my shadow) don't allow it at all, which makes for a different (and fun) strategy change. I can post pass easily 90% of the time on my DI, but it did take some getting used to. This will also help you to learn flipper control for olders SS games with fatter, less-responsive flippers. Flipper variety is a good thing!

#11528 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Today, after two years owning this machine, I experienced cell phone monitor dropouts. The monitor was blank shortly in the middle of a game but came back after two or three seconds indicating the VGA input signal indication on the upper right corner. Happend several times. I think the constant shaking while playing just lead to this.
As I do not want to search the 230 pages does anybody have a hint what to check? I removed the plexi at the back of the cell phone and reseated the VGA connector and also checked the two other connections there. Any other tip?

Unfortunately, this is a known issue without a known solution. My phone was replaced three times, and the video card once, and I still occasionally get blackouts. Sometimes they are like yours, other times it stays black till reboot. It is caused by the shock of the ball hitting the posts beside the scoop.

#11556 3 years ago
Quoted from daveddd14:

I also feel the B.O.B targets are under valued, I have a lot of left lane drains so that kickback is key, and you get the bonus of B.O.B multiball.

Yep. Only tragic flaw in the game is that you can't hit the lowest b target. 80% of my drains are the left outlane.

#11574 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

The theme is a tragedy. It's a hodge-podge of good and horrible ideas that don't fit well together at all. I avoid BOB modes because they are irritating af. While I do like the dozen or so 'armageddon phone-scoop modes', the game deserved better. For the life of me, I don't know why people try and defend it.

I like the dorky theme. Are there better themes out there? For sure, but it's definitely not a tragedy. That was overblown on release.

They should have called it "killer app" but Jack could handle the word kill in the title. Lol

4 weeks later
#11633 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenz:

What’s the best treatment to get faint scratches removed/blended out of a lockdown bar on a LE?

Play the game so much that your hands wear down the clear a little. That'll smooth it out.

These are pinball machines FFS....

1 week later
#11640 3 years ago

Was thinking about selling my LE due to the geometry issues with the Bob targets, so I decided to remove the cliffy from the phone so to see if that would at least clean up the rejection issues and change my mind. Mylared it up, and it makes the game so much better!

After several games, I was thinking the code is somewhat lacking and I think I've figured out why. It's because the multiballs and Bob modes don't go anywhere. Imagine if you completed all jackpots during mb then a super on the side ramp to recieve a sim card? This would make the game so much more balanced and fun as you'd want to play these things through, and you'd have a better chance (not by that much) of getting to showdown. There needs to be more reward for the theatre modes as well. The more I play my IMDN, with its expertly balanced ruleset, the more I realize how flawed the code is in this game. Too bad that they're done with the code. Maybe someone can figure out how to add custom code in the future.

#11647 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I'm pretty sure all of this exists, maybe they could be made a little easier because I'm not sure I've ever gotten them this way.
Quick Multiballs
Drones Gone Wild Multiball
o Hit drone standup to drop items. 3 super jackpots to light SIM card.
o Jackpots for each Drone hit. Super Jackpot is in the theatre (dropped by drone after collecting a jackpot).
High Voltage Multiball
o Hit the moving QED target for jackpots. 15 jackpots to light SIM Card.
Quick Monkey Wrench Multiball
o Sneak past mechanic on the left ramp for jackpot. 3 Jackpots lights SIM Card. During this multiball Betty will be raising and lowering her wrench.

Yeah, I understand those and should have been clearer. Bob modes are actually okay, but as you said, probably too hard. It's the theatre and primary multiballs that aren't really worth playing. Nothing in a modern game should be this way.

#11654 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW the simplicity of Dialed In is a bit of the draw. Glass half full, the multiballs are actual battles where you can't just cradle and daintily pick off your shots. They have magnets, chaos and tend to be short. A good counter to games like my JJP POTC which CAN be multiball heavy when you get it rocking. From what I have seen GNR is like that, on steroids.
I say that "Dialed In is one of the best 90's games ever made". And that is due to the ruleset. There are generally separate goals that don't necessarily twist into a super duper mega goal. You CAN go for Quantum Theater multiball mode if you feel like it. You can try for Bob modes and multiball. I have my bob modes/multiball qualification to one easier than the default just to see the red multiball modes a bit more often than "almost never". I swear without that adjustment I would get to Chaos in Quantum City more often than the red multiballs.
Is it a perfect game? No. But it keeps bringing me back after a year + of ownership so it must be doing something right.

I'd argue it's missing what the 90s games have. Look at the jackpot goals in TAF, TZ, TOTAN, STTNG, MM etc etc. You work up to a big jackpot and reset it and try again. DI has jackpots everywhere. There is no climax of any kind. The multiballs aren't really worth much and don't really involve excitement. Same goes for theatre modes. What's the point of shooting for the virtual spinner etc? To increase the points for a single multiball that you might not get and if you do, you might play for 1 minute? Way safer and more value to just shoot modes and use multiballs to get lit sims. It makes the game 2 dimensional.

The game is great, but IMDN made me realize that the code on DI is incomplete. Theatre modes should lead to sims as should the main multiballs. In fact, you should be able to collect two on the main multiball if you're good enough. That would make it well rounded and fun at all times.

I've heard that they're done with the code as well, so that's a big bummer. I don't see it lasting much longer if that is the case. I love the shooting, lightning, LCD with etc, but code is really bad in places.

#11657 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Fair, I am not against "more"
Little things that IMO they should try to update:
- give a visual for the number of tilt warnings left; redoing animations on the screen might be a bit much, but the four lights towards the bottom of the apron don't do much. If they are not individually controlled then maybe green (2 warnings) , yellow (1) red (0) would be one way to show that.
- on my game, with the current software, for reasons that are not clear when I collect an extra ball "shoot again" is not lit. That insert does light up when the ball save is on so I assume it is a bug in the code ?
More Reasons to go after the theater things:
- maybe every 10-15 things it collects a lit Sim card (and have it increment upwards after the first collect); that would change the math in terms of how much you want to start whacking the theater. And/or have some arbitrarily high number (30, 40?) hits to light a sim card. Why not. Given the multiplication from collected Sim cards it would be hard to break the scoring tweaking stuff like that ; if I was proven wrong and the strategy becomes "theater all day" I will hang up my backseat dev hat

Those are all great suggestions. I'd add that thirty theatre hits should award a sim, not just light it. Why make collecting them so difficult? I complete the door on tz maybe once every 40 games and still love it to death. DI would be better if more progression was more common. You need such crazy long games to get through it.... Wish it was possible to progress more quickly.

#11671 3 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Hello all. Been a while but about a year or so ago there was an update that was making the cell phone video glitch and people with older CPUs were updating them to get back to smooth video.
I simply didn't update software thinking a fix would come out. Did one?
So question is, is it safe to update to latest software for older games? If not, how do I figure out if I have an old or newer cpu (what version is safe?) Thanks.

I never had an issue with video until I updated to newest code. Old cpu and voices do not match.

1 month later
#11780 3 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Pinside shows that 1600 copies of Dialed In were built. Is that correct?
(sorry if this has already been brought up)

Interesting. They must have gotten that number from somewhere. I think with the new price increases and nerfed games, DI is going to increase in demand and value as it should. It's f'n loaded. Charlie was likely the last loaded, semi-affordable JJP. The good ol' days are drifting away, like Wilson at the end of a long journey.

2 months later
#11878 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I have a question about the Theater multiball. Are the animations in the theater supposed to become kind of glitchy during multiball? I assume they are but wanted to make sure.

Yep. That's by design.

1 month later
#11912 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Can I still buy a Dialed In from JJP or is this out of production? I am shopping for my first modern pin and seriously considering this game if I can find one.

Pretty sure it's done. Check with jjp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 22.50
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
298 posts in this topic match your search for posts by tranquilize. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tranquilize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club?tu=tranquilize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.