Topic Stats

• 9,351 posts
  • 505 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by vireland
  • Topic is favorited by 175 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,122 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

5CC58065-A49F-4026-88D4-6BCA684A9937 (resized).jpeg
DITrap (resized).JPG
97E55CF6-7B4D-48F8-A538-ED978827C7DA (resized).jpeg
91A790A6-A8F0-4357-A429-8A34B2B071B1 (resized).jpeg
2FA68F6F-FF94-4B2D-A3DE-3996F2A6E843 (resized).jpeg
Rubber (resized).jpg
Cliffy2 (resized).jpg
Cliffy1 (resized).jpg
Cliffy3 (resized).jpg
20191003_181551 (resized).jpg
ScreenJJP (resized).jpg
showdown (resized).jpg
25389D20-1022-4992-9032-DC58F7E0D621 (resized).jpeg
E0A0B586-7AF4-483C-9C4B-D556087D9FF7 (resized).jpeg
FB41E8CD-4A3A-4540-AD90-BACF76CA6A6E (resized).jpeg
bigrock (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

22 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Welcome to the club Posted by goren1818 (2 years ago)

Post #14 Game play video. Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #800 What happens if you don't cut mylar off magnet core posts Posted by crwjumper (2 years ago)

Post #805 Cut mylar off magnet posts at drones and theatre Posted by cooked71 (2 years ago)

Post #1026 Ball adjustment for tilt Posted by vireland (1 year ago)

Post #1079 Adjustment for flipper that feels "clunky" Posted by spida1a (1 year ago)

Post #1128 Left inlane post does NOT need a rubber sleeve! Posted by Mageek (1 year ago)

Post #1151 Adjusting the kickback Posted by pinstadium (1 year ago)

Post #1246 Another ball trap location Posted by Vyzer2 (1 year ago)

Post #1253 Velcro fix for right ramp hangup Posted by cooked71 (1 year ago)

Post #1258 Detailed pictures for adjusting a misbehaving trap door Posted by foobeer (1 year ago)

Post #1332 Getting access to computer in backbox on Dialed In Posted by hank527 (1 year ago)

Post #1347 Ball trap location. Posted by Kevlar (1 year ago)

Post #1377 Fix for USB at the coin door not working Posted by Pinhead1982 (1 year ago)

Post #1391 Fix for Tilt Bob not working all of a sudden Posted by vireland (1 year ago)

Post #1431 Adjustment point to grease for trap door to operate smoothly Posted by LTG (1 year ago)

Post #1451 Adjusting arm on Quantum Mechanic Posted by vireland (1 year ago)

Post #2507 How to get in backbox to check audio connections Posted by pinstadium (1 year ago)

Post #2661 DIY Lighting how-to for sides of Dialed In backglass Posted by lyonsden (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Finally got my JJP phone and SIM protectors and my cliffy shooter lane protector installed... installation wasn’t too bad.

You're missing the right side of the shooter lane protector.

#949 1 year ago
Quoted from JMK:

Cocnretehardt, I just recently received my JJP phone protector and will be installing shortly. Do you fine the the phone scoop more difficult to hit now?

I removed my factory protector and replaced it with the cliffy - it's a bit thinner and smaller around the edges and seem to effect the ball a lot less; the factory one was actually raised off the playfield. Same for the SIM card one.

#993 1 year ago

Anyone got a solution for the ball getting stuck on the skill shot switch? I made sure it's not dragging on the side of the switch hole but light shots are still getting stopped by the switch.

#1000 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

I’m often getting center drains when the theater magnet releases the ball in EMP Strike mode (which doesn’t do the usual “shadow” style ball flip up). Any fixes for this?

Put your machine on "Director's Cut" which changes a bunch of settings to be like the software team intended, including the magnets to "MEDIUM".

#1002 1 year ago

I know the team is proud of the game, as well they should be. It really is a triumph. In my opinion, it has the best playfield layout Lawlor has ever done and the game itself hits the mark of appealing to various skill levels. The subtle details really knock it out of the park.

#1004 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Whaaaaaaa a Director's Cut eh? Nice...disables the ball save I assume?

YUP

#1046 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

How is the protector attached?
Can it be removed without disassembling the pf if you end up hating it?
Can it be cut off on pieces, or is there adhesive holding it on?

It's held down by the two posts to either side. You need to remove the plexi playfield, then the phone, then the two posts which are nutted underneath the playfield. It was a huge pain in the ass to do on mine.

I replaced the factory protector with a Cliffy, which is slightly thinner and doesn't stick out as much. My factory protector was warped because they over-tightened it at the factory so it was all bent. The cliffy doesn't impact the phone shot at all as far as I can tell, maybe the occasional bounce out, but a backflip from the right flipper goes in smooth.

#1049 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

It was like night and day

I'd just like to point out that the lighting on Dialed In is perfectly fine in a totally black room and you don't need to blow out your retinas with this thing. It's completely unnecessary. I think your side-by-side photo is photoshopped to make the game much darker than it is in real life.

#1060 1 year ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I know that seeing this in person would change your mind.

I can see my own game in person, and I've seen your product. It mostly just blows out all the detail and colour of games that are already well lit.

Save the sales pitch for games that need it. It isn't Dialed In.

#1075 1 year ago

I'm running Director's Cut and it definitely makes the game more challenging - a lot less BOB action for instance. But I'm also running new code which ups the EBs to 500K and a few other tweaks so it's hard to say what's the DC and what's the new code.

#1087 1 year ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Woah...that might be the biggest EB award I've ever seen.

I meant that the EB is awarded at 500K.

#1123 1 year ago

My cabinet is also "split" like that in the bottom left side on the front but it's covered by the leg so I just ignored it. It's clearly glued that way from the factory and isn't a stress crack. Game is otherwise flawless.

Split

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

this is the easiest course of action and results in no down time.

It was even easier to just put the legs on and play it. The cabinet is perfectly sturdy as-is since that crack has wood glue inside it - you can see some of it in the photo. It's a cosmetic defect that's hidden by the legs anyway.

If the cabinet decals were gouged I might be contacting someone but this is fine.

#1130 1 year ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Does anyone think there should be a rubber sleeve here ?

No, balls get stuck in the lanes with one there. It's supposed to be like that.

#1216 1 year ago

One issue I've been having with mine is a lot of rejects - I'm assuming the protectors are doing it on the phone and SIM card, but I'm also getting a lot of rejects on fast shots to the right ramp. The ball hits something in the transition and bounces back.

Anyone else seeing this happen?

#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

It is the cutout causing the issue but it happens so rarely I don't worry about it. I play 4 hours on mine Friday night and it only happened twice. It only happens on the screamer right ramp shots.

Any hard shot on the right does it for me. The felt idea is interesting, I'll give it a try.

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But, they're just making the game more and more linear and removing chunks of breadth.

I guess I'm just a crappy player because I haven't seen any of the wizard modes yet. However, the game is as linear as you play it - if all you do is go after disasters, then I guess you get the grind. Maybe try stacking multiball and modes, or max out BOB, or get drones, etc. There's a literal TON of stuff to do that isn't grinding modes.

#1250 1 year ago

Raising it would help. Mine has settled down quite a bit with 100 or so games on it but others have had success raising it slightly.

#1297 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Can someone explain the difference between the delta install and the full?

Delta is a replacement of the game binary only. Full is a bootable image that does an install of additional upgrades at the OS level.

#1298 1 year ago
Quoted from Damien:

And, when my ball drops out of the theater, or doesn't fully make it through, it drops right down the middle.

It should hit the tip of the left flipper if your game is levelled correctly. It's critical that DI be level and set at 6.5 degrees to play as designed.

#1343 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

Left ramp exit- ball bounce outs- raise with a couple of small washers and put Velcro!? under the wire form I assume to slow the ball down?

All you need to do is level your game correctly - levelers all the way in the legs to the bottom, then left/right level to 6.5 degrees. There might be some jumps for the first 20 games or so and then it settles down.

Here's what else I've done.

Re-seat all the connectors to the computer and screens.
Remove the skill shot switch and bend it back a small amount.
Put some 3 oil on the pivot points of the trapdoor.
Replace the flipper springs with new ones.
Swap the wires on the BOB sign for Extra Ball and Multiball.
Install Cliffys - does both scoops as well as three switches and the shooter lane.
Install the Director's Cut settings.

#1352 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Question guys...is the bob latch suppose to be closed at startup? If so when should it open?

Closed at start, opens for BOB modes.

#1463 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I understand you can cancel multiball start somehow? How? I've tried mashing the flippers but multiball just starts quicker.

Hit both flippers at the same time TWICE in succession when the multiball screen comes up on the phone. MB will re-light after you start a mode.

#1506 1 year ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Not sure what the points increase in mode is, but would assume it is at those percentages.

Adds 1,000 per hit. So if the mode rewards 10K per shot, it becomes 11K, or 12K with two hits, etc.

#1547 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, that skill shot switch type and design is a disaster. Putting a protector in there too is not advised.

I wouldn't call it a "disaster". All you need to do is bend the wire back slightly. That's it. Works 100% with the Cliffy in place for me - it's not the protector holding the ball, it's the wire being too high.

You should dial back the hyperbole - look at how people like Frolic react when people blow problems up out of proportion.

1 week later
#1668 1 year ago

Start modes, finish them, collect the SIM cards.

Easy to write, hard to do.

#1703 1 year ago

I mean, I'm with epthegeek in that I got an LE for the ramp lights, but I did also get Invisglass, powdercoat, etc. They have value, they're just not something I'd normally pay for.

#1705 1 year ago

Aren't Pinstadiums like $260 or something? Lot of cash for two RGB strips from China.

#1709 1 year ago

The only thing I've noticed about the invisiglass is it scratches really easily.

#1720 1 year ago

Once I oiled mine it's been flawless. That's generally the consensus.

#1742 1 year ago

EMP is my favourite since it always drops to the left flipper tip.

I do get that jump orbit thing every once in a while and I've missed some disasters because the game didn't register a right ramp shot. I chalk it up to the ball is wild.

#1748 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

That switch setup for that shot was a mistake - it should have been an opto.

That's nonsense. First off, pinball has been using that type of switch setup for 60-plus years just fine. Secondly, there's no room for optos up there.

I think I'll give Pat the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing.

#1756 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

An opto wouldn't have been much worse of a fit than the wire switch that's there now

Optos need to be ABOVE the playfield in the path of the ball. There's no room there. Also, you completely ignored the fact that switches like that have been used for decades. Also there's the fact that it WORKS JUST FINE when you adjust the switch. It's like you have some sort of blindness on a subject and cannot adjust your thinking ever.

Quoted from vireland:

the stupid headphone jack relocation at your knees on Dialed In that makes no sense

It makes perfect sense because that's the only place it would fit. They took it off the door to save the outrageous cost of the custom door and also make room for the bill validator. The power box is in the way on the other side, it can't go under the shooter rod because then the cord interferes with the shooter, and the lockdown bar mech blocks it higher up.

Do you think these guys are just blindly putting things places and shrugging? They are professionals with decades of experience and you're some armchair critic on the internet.

Did they make some mistakes? Sure, nothing's perfect. But don't sit there and pretend you know more about making pinball than Pat Lawlor. C'mon.

#1766 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

I know how optos work.

Do you? Because you seem to think they don't require any space to fit.

Quoted from vireland:

I remotely helped another new owner spend over an hour adjusting it until it worked yesterday.

So it works, does it? This seems more like an assembly issue (ie. prepping parts during assembly) than a design issue, since it WORKS.

Quoted from vireland:

And even if there's no room for an opto, there are other solutions like proximity sensors.

JJP doesn't currently have proximity sensors as part of their kit, so it would take time and effort to: find them, test them, design circuits to read them, program software to read them, design mechs to hold them, etc.

Or, you could put a standard switch there.

Quoted from vireland:

Funny, that's what Jack did when I asked about the weird placement in person. Literally shrugged and said Pat wanted it there

Sounds smart of Jack to me, since he's not a pinball designer and has no hardware design experience, to defer to the guy with 30 years of experience.

Quoted from vireland:

I sincerely doubt the cost at quantity for that WoZ door was "outrageous."

So a custom part with custom wiring is cheaper than the bog-standard door the entire industry uses and is produced in the millions? Yeah I'm sure it's only $3 difference when they order them in batches of 1,000.

The thing is, you're looking at one part - a single switch - in isolation when the design of a game is an exercise in compromise. Change one part, suddenly five others need to move, then you need to customize a standard part to make it fit, and your BOM goes up. Then those changes need to be tested, or software changed, etc. A pinball machine has many thousands of parts all working together, especially something as packed as DI, and you need to consider the whole machine when changing stuff.

Then there's cost factors. What are you going to give up to afford that thing you want? Optos are more expensive than switches.

It's really frustrating that you, someone who has never even built a single game, are questioning the design decisions of someone who created the best selling game of all time. It's not a blanket license that everything he does is gold, but it's a pretty good indicator he might be making more informed decisions than you, who has zero years experience.

#1801 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

On average, I lose 1 ball per game to "catch and release".

How did you confirm your game was level?

#1814 1 year ago
Quoted from jardine:

He says the pitch is at 6.5?

Bubble level at the second line, the leg levellers should be screwed in right to the top.

As for snaroff I suggest a turn or perhaps two out on the right side front leveller.

#1825 1 year ago

Fun ball trap last night at league!

The ball is wild!

Oh hello

#1898 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have 3 different levels. Please stop telling me I don't know how to measure/adjust.

Have you done the old school roll test? That's how I used to level my games and it was pretty accurate.

#1900 1 year ago

Nope, my theatre has always worked perfectly right out of the box - drop to left flipper tip.

I had to adjust the timing to -90.

1 week later
#2029 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure sure....but it's just a starting point for further adjustments. But honestly, I don't care much. It's set up around 6.5, I go play in a tournament it's jacked up higher, down at the bar it's something else etc.

It's funny, I helped the local op fix his DI by suggesting he put the levellers all the way in. Game played beautifully after that! Players actually shook my hand and thanked me.

1 week later
#2163 1 year ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Occasionally my phone screen looks washed out - like the brightness or contrast or something is cranked up too high. Do I need to contact JJP on this one?

Yes, I have the same issue and you'll need a new screen.

#2175 1 year ago

I reseated the board and both connectors, doesn’t fix the issue.

Haven’t tried a new cable - not exactly many VGA cables around the house like the old days!

#2241 1 year ago

I wonder if there’s room for Mantis style protectors to deal with the lip issue on Cliffy ones.

I’d rather play the game as intended by Pat, but I don’t want to damage my insanely expensive game!

3 weeks later
#2723 1 year ago

I played a game on location without the SIM hole protector and nailed it three times off the upper flipper in one game.

It’s tempting me to remove my cliffys.

3 weeks later
#2953 1 year ago

My only recommendation for people is to fill out the online support form, but then phone. Calling gets you immediate service whereas the online form doesn’t seem to get a response, but at least puts you in the system.

1 week later
#3018 1 year ago

I'd like to see the Mantis installed. Also I'll wait for the SIM one before I order.

#3071 1 year ago

The Mantis looks good! Very interested to see the SIM version. The DI on location here had the protector removed and now it’s way easier to hit that shot directly.

1 week later
#3150 1 year ago

I wasted weeks on the online form and email, and got instant response by calling. Calling is the way to go.

1 month later
#3798 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My new Dialed In is now playing great except for one minor issue, a full plunge isn't getting the ball out of the shooter lane. I think I just need to move the shooter rod down a bit by adjusting the 3 bolts that hold the shooter rod to the bracket. The shooter rod is likely hitting towards the top of the ball versus the middle.

Yes, mine is like this too. Just haven't fixed it yet.

3 weeks later
#4137 1 year ago

DI is easily one of the best games in the last decade, but I have to admit that the main multiball is too hard by design. First off, it's only two balls to start and it takes a lot of hits to add a ball. Then you've got multiple active deterrents running at the same time - the playfield magnets, the moving QED guy, the flipper disable shot after only two jackpots, and finally, the playfield design itself doesn't promote keeping more than one ball in play very well. I know it's supposed to be a "battle" but it's just demoralizing how short it ends up being.

Of course, all you need to do is look at Pat's WMS-era games to see this is all intentional - he's always made multiball hard to get and insanely difficult to score in or last any length of time. He just doesn't like multiball.

Contrast with Iron Maiden, the new girl on the block, which I find strikes a nice balance between overly-multiball heavy (Hobbit) and DI, where the number of them and more importantly the duration is kept at a more satisfying level.

I don't think it makes DI a "worse" game, just different. Personally for me it's less satisfying, and it's not something that could be fixed in software because it's a conscious design decision. Or maybe I should just play better.

1 month later
#4796 1 year ago

I still really like DI but I have to agree, the BOB modes and multiballs are mostly a waste of time.

If anything, they get in the way when a mode is running, making it harder to finish the only thing that actually scores points in the game. Like QED moving back and forth blocking the ball during some of them, or the mechanic blocking the ball, etc. For what, 7,000 points? Things are far too heavily weighted towards modes so I actively avoid anything else.

Also, the multiballs are extremely unsatisfying due to the unforgiving ball save times. I suppose the answer is "change the defaults". Maybe I will.

1 year later
#8412 81 days ago

I’m getting the video lag pretty bad on mine on 1.71. Very noticeable, it even happens on the main display.

That said I’m going to leave it. Game is fully playable like this.

1 month later
#9020 35 days ago
Quoted from altan:

I’m pretty confident this is a bug or just a feature JJP didn’t bother resolve.

This is a problem with Linux itself - the less expensive screens don't report themselves to the OS properly at boot. They have a tool that figures it out after boot but by then the logo is displayed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 8,000.00
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, TN
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside