IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Welcome to the club Posted by goren1818 (7 years ago)

Post #14 Game play video. Posted by solarvalue (7 years ago)

Post #800 What happens if you don't cut mylar off magnet core posts Posted by crwjumper (6 years ago)

Post #805 Cut mylar off magnet posts at drones and theatre Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #1026 Ball adjustment for tilt Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #1079 Adjustment for flipper that feels "clunky" Posted by spida1a (6 years ago)

Post #1128 Left inlane post does NOT need a rubber sleeve! Posted by Mageek (6 years ago)

Post #1151 Adjusting the kickback Posted by pinstadium (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Another ball trap location Posted by Vyzer2 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6904 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

So tonight I got my drones working. I had to replace a motor in each drone, and got to practice my soldering skills! (new skill for me).
Though....here is a slight idea. I've been adding these Comet LED control dimmers to some lights (like..I just added a trough light to DI (a comet 7 smd strip)).

All my drones also died after a few months of usage, but I didn't notice it until recently when another Dialed In owner asked me, if my drones are broken too. Replacement drones from the european distributor are way too expensive, and getting a warranty exchange is a struggle too, so I simply ordered new motors from AliExpress in China. 12 replacement motors incl. shipping will cost just 11 USD. that's a fraction of the cost to ship the broken drones back to the distributor, and I don't have to argue with those guys anymore

There's a discussion about broken drones burried somewhere deep in a very long "general dialed in discussion" thread of a german pinball forum, where someone recommends to add resistors. The motors are connected in series, so if one motor fails, the other 3 motors will stop working as well. It's possible that the voltage supplied to the drones, or voltage spikes, cause damage to the motors. Or maybe those dirt cheap toy motors are just not built for durability and will die regardless of voltage anyway.
A solution could be to simply add a resistor in series to reduce the voltage, as pictured in the photo. When you have to open the drones to replace the motors, it's pretty simple to add an additional resistor. The only drawback is, that the LEDs of the drones will stop working (or barely visible), because the voltage is too low for operation. But that's not an issue for me, as I didn't even notice the existence of those small LEDs until I opened the drones

I'm not sure if that "Matrix brightness adjuster" will work, because if it's intended to dim LED lights, it's probably not a resistor, but a controller which adjusts the pulse width, as you cannot dim LEDs by simply lowering the voltage.

I have replaced all my motors and added resistors. Although time will tell if this is a permanent fix, or if they will break again.

drone_fix (resized).JPGdrone_fix (resized).JPG
#6906 5 years ago
Quoted from Fortytwo:

Thanks for the info, do you happen to have a link to the motors? i wouldn't mind having some as spares.

"Cheerson CX-10 CX10 CX-10 CX-10A V646 V676 RC Part CW/CCW Motor For Cheerson CX-10 Hubsan H111 RC Quadcopter Parts"

I had ordered these, it's a set of 4 motors:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CX-10-005-Clockwise-Rotation-Motor-Drive-Parts-For-CX-10-4CH-2-4G-6-Axis/32222729666.html

but also available from other vendors on aliexpress. you can even order the whole drone incl. remote control and then rip it apart.

#6912 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I guess adding a resistor would probably be about the same amount of work as splicing in their product anyway.
I know its lame of me...but...what kind of resistor did you use and how did you figure out that is where you needed to solder it in? Did you also source it from aliexpress or somewhere like digikey?

As long as the drones are still OK it's definitely faster to just add something in between the connectors under the playfield. I added the resistors in the drone because I had to open and replace the motors anyways.

If you want to add resistors, just add a resistor in series to one of the wires of the motor. It doesn't matter to which one or which wire as they are all wired in series. instead of soldering the wire of the motor to the PCB, solder the wire to the resistor, and the other end of the resistor into the hole where the wire of the motor was coming from. I used one of the holes of the screws to bring the wire of the resistor to the other side of the PCB and removed some of the plastic of the drone cover. And I took 100 ohms, as suggested by the guy in the german forums, but it does not have to be exactly 100ohms.
I always have various resistors on stock at home from other projects, so I didn't have to order. If you don't want to order just 3 pieces (digikey, adafruit etc), check if you have old electronics stuff lying around to remove one.. I often keep old PCB boards as spare parts for resistors, capacitors etc Just takes time to find the right ones
Or you could also cut the wires under the playfield and add resistors there, combined with shrink tube.. but of course adding a harness with connectors is cleaner.. especially since we don't know if adding resistors will really permanently solve the problem. I think JJP will probably also come up with a solution soon.

#6930 5 years ago
Quoted from pb_lawww:

If you add the resistor in line with a motor, the LEDs continue working. If you adjust the power to the whole drone, they might turn off.

good to know!
hmm, that username somehow looks familiar, I assume you must be the guy from the german forums?! thanks again for your input regarding the drones!

#6940 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

..does putting the resistor in the power supply line make the motors more durable than placing the resistor in the motor line in the drone?
Also...I assume 50ohm makes the drone motors spin slower than the 100ohm? (I could be wrong..maybe that's reversed?).

For the motors it doesn't matter where the resistor is placed. With 50 ohm they will run faster than 100 ohm.
If you have not ordered 100 ohm resistors already, order a bag of 50 ohm and check how loud/fast they are with just 50 ohm, and then test with two 50 ohm in series (which is the same as one 100 ohm). so you can choose which speed you prefer, either just one 50 ohm, or 100 ohm by using two 50 ohm in series.
I went directly for 100 ohm without trying 50 ohm, but that's because I just wanted to be sure there is a notable drop in voltage to reduce future failures. but now the propellers also make less noise than before. And in the latest game code the drones will not trigger that much anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club?tu=flx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.