IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Welcome to the club Posted by goren1818 (7 years ago)

Post #14 Game play video. Posted by solarvalue (7 years ago)

Post #800 What happens if you don't cut mylar off magnet core posts Posted by crwjumper (6 years ago)

Post #805 Cut mylar off magnet posts at drones and theatre Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #1026 Ball adjustment for tilt Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #1079 Adjustment for flipper that feels "clunky" Posted by spida1a (6 years ago)

Post #1128 Left inlane post does NOT need a rubber sleeve! Posted by Mageek (6 years ago)

Post #1151 Adjusting the kickback Posted by pinstadium (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Another ball trap location Posted by Vyzer2 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballCharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

A question for you owners from a future owner...how's the pin holding up a n the fun department? Long term keeper on this? Super long ball times or pretty reasonable?

I love Dialed In. It has more plays in less than a week than any other NIB purchase so far.

It's a great change to see a theme adapt to a great playfield layout and set of rules, rather than seeing another pin struggle to adapt to the constraints of a licensed theme.

Great technology on the table (especially the Quantum theater), magnets are awesome and the lighting is the best I have experienced. This is a pure mode-based pin and they are all really diverse and exciting modes.

Good humor and mostly good voice work, the display graphics are great. Very clever use of the main display showing the destruction of the city as you play (much better than static graphics and clips with no progression).

I plan on doing a whole review at some point, but rest assured this really is a quality Lawlor design

My ball times are getting pretty long, but it is still a challenge; I haven't got to any wizard modes after around 100 plays.

#258 6 years ago

Just an interesting note here - last night I somehow executes a true RIGHT orbit. I would think that is nearly impossible - it was shocking and I giggled like a silly nerd.

Some of the "citizens" of Quantum City have some hilarious lines. I've only heard this twice, but the girl talking about the inclement weather during the whirlwind disaster (I think it was her) says "Do you wanna see MY warm front?" - LOL; a fine tribute to sexting.

I see Pat Lawlor is credited with some voice work. Anybody have an idea what voice role he plays?

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Sorry to say there is no such thing as a true right orbit,what happened is the ball was moving so fast it jumped the wall and continued around the orbit instead of following the orbit wall and back to the right flipper as intended,I had this happen and if bobs hatch is open the ball can get stuck behind the trap and ball search will not clear the jam,I told jjp a month ago and they thanked me and said they were going to lower flipper power on the line,if you want to stop this from happening you should lower the left flipper power to around 15 or so and it will not jump the wall anymore.

Well, it was a true right orbit (unintentional as it may be), because it actually happened and fed the ball back to the left flipper

Oh yeah - that could cause a real problem with the trap door open. This is only happened once, though, so I doubt it will be an issue.

JJP should just trip the trap door on a second ball search if the first ball search fails.

#267 6 years ago

I thought I would do a little write-up for those who are expecting a new DI or those who are just curious about all the toys on the playfield.

I’m trying to keep this short, but there is so much going on with this pin that I simply don’t have the time (or stamina) to do a thorough analysis. I own the pin and have well over a hundred plays on it, so I have a pretty good understanding of the rules and mechanisms.

The rules and playfield layout are incredibly fun and approachable, but I won’t cover that. The lighting and toys really stand out to me, so I thought I would just cover those as objectively as possible.

LIGHT SHOW

Having the entire lighting system on RGB LEDs makes for an incredible light show. The software shines in this department; small touches like fading and strobing round out the more common color-changing effect. Lighting is coded differently for each mode giving each disaster its own unique feel.

TOYS

Wow – a ton of toys that all do a great job of interacting with the ball. That is what makes a toy good in my opinion; the ability to interact with the ball and add randomness and strategy to the playfield.

The drone magnet in conjunction with the nearby rubbers can act as if another slingshot is part of the mechanism. Try changing the default setting of ”hitting the drone standup target to receive a drop” from OFF to ON. You can actually hear the drone motors spinning when a package is ready. Very cool but borderline annoying if you are having trouble hitting the stand-up target.

The Quantum Theater is just a flat-out, kick-ass tribute to Pinball 2000. There is so much going on in the theater; an angled clear plastic screen reflects a third (!) monitor onto a translucent panel and digitally displays virtual targets, activities, spinners, lottery tickets and much more (just like PB2000 technology). When the theater is inactive, you can see through the clear panel and it just looks and acts like another lane that feeds the upper right flipper. When active, it will either stop the ball, drop it straight down or whip it back through the right orbit or sometime into the jets. There is a fair amount of randomness to the theater magnet release.

The QED fellow that travels left and right is a real prick – sometimes you love him (when he saves a ball from a SDTM drop from the theater) and often you hate him (when he seemingly gets in your way on a crucial hurry-up shot). You can work around him, though using both flippers – it is a really good toy with explosive lighting effects.

Betty the mechanic thwarts ball progress by sometimes diverting what should be a great combo shot back to the right flipper into a clumsy ride onto a "plexiglas" upper playfield above the pops. The upper playfield is full of rubber that requires some good nudging. There are three possible exits – a hole down into the pops, the default drop in front of the pops, and a secret hideout behind the theater (I’ve only hit that once). There are a couple modes that use Betty and the upper playfield – this is well done so far. I hope additional code can make even more use of that upper playfield later. During regular play, you can get Betty to release her evil diverting tactics by locking a ball in the train station.

The smart phone is absolutely fantastic for being able to quickly glance at how many shots are left during each mode and where to shoot. It is often setup in a “Skype/Facetime” type loop when a mode is initiated. Character animations are pretty good but still need quite a bit of work (many static images that should be animated during speech). Voice work for each of the 11 (I assume) characters is good. A lot of humor in some of the dialogue (highlights include the yokel bellyaching about aliens and how nobody believed him and the trashy girl complaining about the tornado in her trailer park – but still has time for a little innuendo while Skyping with you). Classic Lawlor dialogue, no doubt. Each character has quite a few lines, so it avoids get repetitive.

Hidden underneath the playfield are three magnets that cause havoc in the middle of the playfield. They are usually only on during multiball or specific modes (like EMP). These are just like Addams family or Last Action Hero – they work great and can be very dangerous, hilarious or aggravating. I recommend turning them up a notch from default. Luckily it is not overused or it could lead to some real frustration.

The ball-locking train station looks cool and futuristic; it lends itself well to futuristic Quantum City – the town we want to destroy (I am still not sure why we want to destroy it instead of save it). Nothing special with the lock mechanism, but the release back onto the playfield is fast and dangerous – kind of the like the left ramp on Monopoly. You have to be ready for it or your ball will likely drain on release. I personally love it.

I think that is all the major toys. Crazy Bob is a whole different story, but I don't consider it a toy.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Great write up to the BEST GAME OF THE YEAR (maybe more years as well).

Well, it's at least my favorite game this year It is going to be pretty tough to beat in the near future. I played SW pro, TBL, AS and Dialed In - I put my money where the most fun was. A lot of money, ugh.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Nice collection you have.

Thanks Skyemont! We share a few pins in our collection. Wow, you sure have moved thru some pins over the years

What was your take on Hobbit?

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from Procrastinator:

Has anyone turned up their DI and noticed how incredible it sounds? I have rarely been impressed by sound quality from a pin, but DI has probably the best tone I have heard.

Yes! I noticed that right away. It is without a doubt the best stock system I have personally experienced in a pin. I really enjoy the variety in music, too. The whole package is incredible.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did it ship from JJP or from Automated Services?

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and it looks like it shipped directly from JJP.

auto ship (resized).pngauto ship (resized).png

#305 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Anybody having trouble hitting the sin shot with the protector,I am and have tryed raising the scoup deflector like someone recommend to do to the sim shot and that was before the protector was s factory idem ,that shot is hard enough but with the protector almost impossible for me and I have tryed holding the ball by hand and still no luck with the shot ,I may have to remove and just protect with clear gorilla tape

Man, that is one tough shot. I'm riding bareback and I rarely make it off the flipper. I rely on bank shots 80% of the time. I'm afraid once I get the factory protector, it will be near impossible.

#309 6 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I Have factory protector and the shot is impossible,I have played other dialed in games with out the protector and I could make it Once in a while .the only way that ball is going in is from a bank shot or a lucky roll in,I knew the protector would be trouble when I first rubbed my finger over it at setup

Have you tried a quick "slap" on the right flipper button at the correct time? I was playing last night and that made a huge difference on getting in the sim hole.

3 weeks later
#456 6 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Having a real hard time finding a photo (any photo!) of the playfield bottom side / underneath. Can someone put the playfield up and post one? Thanks!

My pleasure!

di underside.jpgdi underside.jpg

1 week later
#606 6 years ago

You could shape a piece of Mylar and put it in that area to eliminate the lip, perhaps.

1 week later
#708 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks - I feel like I need to check settings b/c I've hit a ton of combos but never asked to record initials. You didn't change anything to record it? Maybe I haven't hit enough? So combo is left ramp followed by right ramp or left loop?
As for theatre - I understand what there is to collect but is the magnet in effect when you pick them up? For example mine turns on for drops but not everything)

You can also check your total combo count during a game in the info screen (holding flipper while cradling a ball). 25 total combos earns an extra ball; 100 earns another.

#714 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

got it. So 5 is default and 6 would get your initials? Again I think I hit 7 combos (left ramp into right loop and back to left ramp 7 times) and didn't get the initials. You didn't change any settings so you can record it? I might try it again tonight.

There is also an audible cue as you progress within the same series of combo hits. The sound pitches higher and higher for each successful strike.

#746 6 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

If I am not mistaken, there are a couple other ways to earn/collect SIM cards outside of completing disasters. I saw them when I was looking through the settings in the DI manual, but I forget what they are now.

I've earned them from completing the objectives on Bob's Crazy MB Modes, such as sneaking three jackpot balls past Betty or hitting QED guy 15 times.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

And, there is nothing_ nicer than hitting Big Bang to finish a mode and having the ball drop straight down to collect the SIM card.

There is one thing nicer - when you hit Big Bang and the knocker fires simultaneously for a free game... then drops into the SIM hole

That is just a spectacular series of events.

1 month later
#1797 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been working on my magnet behavior without much success. It's important to know there are 2 primary magnet behaviors..."catch and release" and "catch and toss". The setting you are altering effects the "toss" backwards behavior (which works fine on my machine). You can test your using the Theatre Magnet Test diagnostic (https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0dGrhkPxG2TCix).
The "catch and release" is what burns me. Here is some more info on the topic: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jersey-jack-pinball-woz/F_TTrGjIixo
At this point, constant drains are the only remaining annoyance with my machine. Otherwise, it's shooting great now (after many tweaks which I will soon post).
snaroff

Hmmm, my catch and release action always drops the ball to the edge of the right flipper. Only very, very rarely will the ball drain SDTM. I made sure my playfield was very level when I set it up. I assume, by design, it should drop to the flipper and not sdtm.

Perhaps your playfield has some anomilious warpage? Just a thought.

1 month later
#2421 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Hey guys, my DI LE is on the way.
What's the consensus on the stock protectors for the phone scoop and sim card hole on the latest batch of machines? Good enough or do I need to investigate Cliffy alternatives to address it?
Cliffy doesn't list it on his site. If it were a big problem, I would hope it would be a current product for him.
Thanks!

I recently removed the factor protector on the SIM hole because, come on, I can't be that bad to consistently fail that shot. I replaced it with a Cliffy... and guess what? It didn't make any difference. That damn shot is just too hard. The Cliffy does look a lot nicer, though

I don't use a protector on the phone scoop - just used some mylar. It is holding out well so far.

4 months later
#4293 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

EMP is like power Ball mode to me. Super fun but hella dangerous. Music is great, and who doesn't like a greasy pizza delivery guy?

Love the pizza guy dialogue! Not sure who I like best; pizza guy, alien yokel or whirlwind trailer trash girl.

2 weeks later
#4519 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Just starting to explore my DILE. So far, loving it. Mine was made in March this year so not really sure if I have the JJP protectors or true Cliffy's installed. The phone shot is pretty reliable but I have a terrible time hitting the SIM shot. Honestly, all the shots off the upper flipper I find very difficult. I very rarely hit the inner ramp when trying and don't think I've hit the SIM shot once when actually trying off the upper flipper. To my viewpoint, it looks like weird angles to those shots and the SIM has those posts on either side.
Any suggestions besides just continued practice?

I've had the factory protectors and the Cliffy's on the SIM hole - both of them make that shot nearly impossible. Now I'm riding bareback and I can hit that shot about 20% of the time (which is AWESOME). Mylar the heck out of it - even so, you'll probably chip the area south of the hole.

It's worth it, though. That hole wasn't designed for protection.

1 year later
#8984 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Has anyone been able to get the DI App to work?
I know it's a huge gimmick, but I wanted to try it out.....

I'm still hopeful that future revision of this app go way beyond the gimmick of hitting the flippers (it's embarrassing when I ineffectively "nudge" my phone). I want to study the game I just played and see what I did! How far did I get in each mode? How many combos did I get? How many skill shots did I nail? How many orbits, QED hits, etc... How perfect that I could study those stats on my phone after each game?

I am going to keep that ten year old dream alive!

#9004 4 years ago

Is anyone else still having an issue where, on a hot LEFT orbit, your ball fires through the open trap door and blasts out of the mechanism and down into the cabinet? It happens to me every once in a while (maybe every 30 games). But it's kind of a big deal breaker when you are in the middle of a game (or if you are playing a routed game, I imagine).

I don't really see any adjustment on the mechanism that can fix this.

So - I've developing a clip that just snaps in place and, so far, I haven't had a single ball fly into the cabinet. It's printed with impact resistant ABS plastic so I'm going to be testing it for awhile to see how it holds up.

Just curious, though, if others are having the same issue of balls dropping into the cabinet and if you figured out any other adjustment to prevent this.

DI1 (resized).jpgDI1 (resized).jpgDI2 (resized).jpgDI2 (resized).jpgDI4 (resized).jpgDI4 (resized).jpg
#9006 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

pinballcharlie Cool that you've made that.
I've never had the problem, but only been an owner for 2 weeks. Have put a lot of games on it though.
What flipper strength do you use?

Just one over factory setting. It usually happens when a ball is coming down hard then hits the flipper into the left orbit, kind of like when a bat hits a fast pitch and it screams out of the park

#9010 4 years ago

Thanks ralphs007

I ran across that series, too, after some research. I've got my trap door finally tuned in (after much agony about a year ago) - I don't want to throw that thing out of wack again bending the coil bracket. Not sure that even fixes the problem - it's unclear in that thread. Looks like there was some electrical tape, velcro and cardboard involved, too

Hopefully this simple bracket trick holds up. If all goes well, I'll upload this to Thingiverse so anyone can print it out if they need to.

#9012 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

This tweak takes two seconds to do,and I haven't had a ball drop into the cabinet once,since I did this fix,over a year ago.
I'm sure there's many ways to fix this problem, but my fix is fast and requires no materials.
Good luck with your approach,it looks like a good idea.

I see what you did now - the tab is bent outwards, right? Huh, and no balls through since? Good call - the bend was subtle and I didn't catch it on the first read through

#9024 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Thanks ralphs007
If all goes well, I'll upload this to Thingiverse so anyone can print it out if they need to.

Just to wrap this up as another solution for DI ball fails, here is the clip on Thingiverse to download and print:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3851824

DI CLIP (resized).jpgDI CLIP (resized).jpg
#9027 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is cool.
Can someone make me one of these ?
LTG : )

I think it's time for S.S. Billiards to get a 3D printer

#9030 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Maybe just add it to your store. I don't have the issue with the ball falling into the cabinet (I bent the bracket a bit per LTG), but this would be a permanent fix that I wouldn't have to keep an eye on anymore.

Hmm - I suppose I could. I'll have to really give it a hardcore testing first to make sure I am using the best possible material. Also, I can only assume this clip will universally fit on any DI machine until I hear from someone that has printed it out and tried it.

If that bracket is already bent outward, I don't think this clip will fit anymore unless you bend it back exactly the way it was (I mean, I think so based on that one picture I saw). It's probably a one or the other fix.

2 weeks later
#9118 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone tell me how many balls are in this game? I want to order some new ones before I pick my game up this weekend.

I believe it is a five ball pin. I think that all JJPs are five ball? Not sure about POTC or Wonka, though.

3 years later
#13291 1 year ago

My 14yo kid got to Armageddon the other day - pretty awesome to watch knowing I'll never get there .

Screenshot_2023-04-07-16-46-55-34_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2023-04-07-16-46-55-34_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6 (resized).jpg
#13301 1 year ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

How many of you have taken off the SIM card cliffy?

Mine didn't come with any protection except mylar. I added the JJP factory ones later and also the Cliffy's. I tried them each for about e a week and the rejection rate was terrible and I haven't used them since. Hardly any wear on both holes with just mylar.

I think raw dogging is the only the way to go for DI.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballCharlie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club?tu=PinballCharlie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.