IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Welcome to the club Posted by goren1818 (7 years ago)

Post #14 Game play video. Posted by solarvalue (7 years ago)

Post #800 What happens if you don't cut mylar off magnet core posts Posted by crwjumper (6 years ago)

Post #805 Cut mylar off magnet posts at drones and theatre Posted by cooked71 (6 years ago)

Post #1026 Ball adjustment for tilt Posted by PinMonk (6 years ago)

Post #1079 Adjustment for flipper that feels "clunky" Posted by spida1a (6 years ago)

Post #1128 Left inlane post does NOT need a rubber sleeve! Posted by Mageek (6 years ago)

Post #1151 Adjusting the kickback Posted by pinstadium (6 years ago)

Post #1246 Another ball trap location Posted by Vyzer2 (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1901 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've always used levels in the past (with ~30-40 other pins). Never had an issue. I guess I can try an old school test on a new fangled pin and ignore what the levels are saying. I'm curious, did you have any issues with "catch and release"?

The concern is that unless the level is exactly parallel to the playfield, the reading will be off. I have some very good levels but it has always frustrated me that there really is no way to determine parallel. Plus the accuracy of levels varies a lot. The longer the level, the easier it is to judge parallel. If you are using an accurate 12" master/starrett/similar level across the top of the slings, you have a much better chance of getting a good reading than the round one in your pic. Since most people don't have a $300-$1000 level, the rolling ball test is often the best way to determine level. (And I haven't even mentioned playfield twist where the top could list slightly to starboard, the bottom slightly to port.) Ain't nothin' easy.

#1912 6 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

This is the long winded version of what I said.

You sound like my wife

#1951 6 years ago

Just joined the club yesterday and am experiencing a couple of issues. I've been able to resolve most; however, I have one that is a big problem. I posted in the Dialing in a Dialed in thread but thought I would try this thread as well.

Upper flipper is erratic. I'd say 20% of the time does not work at all. Press the button, nada. 50% of the time there is a significant lag and/or power issue. 30% works great. Nothing is binding or rubbing, everything is aligned, EOS is fine, can't find any loose connections. On the other thread, it was suggested that I turn up the power; however, when it fires, the strength is more than adequate.

Thoughts?

#1954 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Turning up the power doesn't sound like the solution for intermittent behavior. See other thread for my suggestion.
snaroff

Per your suggestion in the other thread, yep, stupid me spent all that time focusing on the upper mechanism and didn't even think to look at the button itself. Works fine now. Thanks. If only there were an easy fix for the person that pressed the button

#1958 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't you hate that ? I hate that. I hate when it happens. Here's what you do. Power off. Open the game up and lift the playfield and lean back. See the right flipper button area ? See the leaf blade switches ? See there are two sets. One for lower flipper and one for upper ? The one closest to the flipper button is for the lower. The one farthest from the flipper button is for the upper. The one for the upper. Please clean it, and adjust it so when you push the flipper button in, it closes it. It would like some adjusting to be 100%.
LTG : )

Yeah, per a post a couple up, I admitted I had focused exclusively on the upper mech...figuring it had to be an issue with binding, EOS, wiring, etc., when snaroff mentioned I should check the leaf switch. As soon as I read that, I knew it was the issue. Rookie mistake.

The one good thing about the flipper was that my wife was killing me in a game when the ball got stuck behind the flipper and the flipper died. DARN, we ended up tilting it and eventually pull the glass. Doggonit, what a pity!

Now if you can figure out my lock down bar issue, I'd be a truly happy camper. I've spent at least 30 minutes adjusting the screws, validated the glass fits in the back channel fully but no success.

The only other issue we have is our lack of skill. No easy fix for that. I must say we are really enjoying it. It is so much faster (at times) than we had remembered...that's a good thing.

#1961 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Glass off, playfield up and leaned back. Put lockdown bar on. Look in there with a flashlight and see if lever/screws need to go up or down. Adjust and put together and check.
Worst case scenario, loosen lockdown screws holding to cabinet. Adjust receiver and tighten again, or remove lockdown bar receiver, put on lockdown bar, and make new holes and refasten receiver.

So, hammer not an option?

I'll give that a shot; however, I have bigger fish to fry. When you shoot the theater, 80% of the time it just drops SDTM....gotta find those posts in this thread that detail which settings to adjust. I can now relate to people's frustration.... "Shoot the theater" Hit it perfectly. STDM.

You sure a hammer isn't an option?

#1962 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If the screws don't do the trick, it's possible the lockdown hinge (bolted to the front cabinet) needs a minor adjustment (either up or down, depending on what you see). I didn't need to do this for DI, but I've needed to do it on other pins.
HTH,

I literally went all the way up and all the way down one turn at a time. It shouldn't be that fine of an adjustment. Fortunately, it doesn't impact the enjoyment of the game...thanks for your help

#1964 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Devices - Theater Magnet, I have mine set to -90

Perfect, thanks!

#1966 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

After lots of fiddling/leveling and some additional settings added by Ted Estes in 1.52, my STDM drains aren't as common. Ted has a great post on the JJP Google Group regarding the Theatre Magnet Behavior (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/jersey-jack-pinball-woz/FzFQb0UMiAc).

Alas, not a member. Shot them a membership request; however, not sure how long that takes (it being Saturday, I suspect it won't be until Monday). I guess I should have immediately registered my machine. Anyhow, I thought I read this info cut and pasted in another thread...maybe your Dialing In thread? I'll check there.

#1999 6 years ago

Today is the day to fine-tune/adjust the machine.
I was having SDTM issues with theater release and followed the JJP advice to raise front right leveler so that the ball would hit the left flipper. I have fewer SDTM now, but it hits the right flipper now, which obviously makes no sense. I'm not sure if it was a typo or something else is at play. But before I make the machine list 10 degrees to port, I figured I would ask.

1) where should the ball hit when it is a straight drop from the theater?
2) where should the ball hit when coming out of the station on the left?
3) when the ball is thrown upward from the drone, should it go into, above or below the sim card hole?
4) when the ball is thrown from the left out lane kicker, should it go to the left, right or into phone hole?

I realize and appreciate the random nature of pinball...sometimes, you hit the castle on MM and it drains...I get it. I'm just trying to make sure that I have it setup to be as P Lawlor intended.

#2002 6 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Odd that yours would also toss to the right, not left flipper. I wonder if that original response you got was a typo and it really is supposed to hit the right flipper?

FalconPunch...showoff! .

(I have executed several 8x combos. Alas, my combos are hitting the posts, not the ramp. Right post, left post, far right post and so on. I need to find a game that gives you points for hitting posts and missing the ramps. I'd be hell on wheels.)

#2004 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

The Theater drop for me goes to the tip of the right flipper

That makes 4-0 to the right flipper from the theater

#2011 6 years ago

Really strange. Looks like it is 50/50? Makes no sense. When I tried raising the right front leg, I was slightly off level at the slings. I think I would have to make it way of level to get it to hit the left. I wonder if something else is at play. My slope is ~7 degrees. Maybe that is the difference?

#2015 6 years ago
Quoted from Requis:

Can anyone take a moment to put in a post for all of the best settings, angle, elevation, flipper etc..that we should utilize for a new family just getting in the hobby...

First, congratulations ...it is really a great game with lots going on. Only downside is that your wife and kids will mock you if/when you get into selfie mode.

As for your questions. Technically, (and the documentation will say this), set the playfield to 6.5 degrees (bubble just touching the second line), make sure the pf is dead level at top middle and slings. The issue is that it is impossible to actually do this. The bubble level has variance, levels have variance and neither can be set with 100% precision. The default settings for coil strength should be fine; however, many, perhaps most have, had to tweak them. I haven't adjusted any. There will likely be adjustments needed to get it setup optimally. For example, I had a switch (top of playfield before the theater that was pressed up against the slot. it would barely move when pressed down with your finger, so the ball had no chance. I had to bend in to get it centered. Still need to tweak a bit, occasionally a ball will stick on the skill shot but the proverbial tap on the side clears it.

You also have to remember that some of that is a matter of taste. I prefer a bit steeper pf, some like stronger flippers. My tolerance for SDTM is much higher than some. My biggest concern about getting DI was that the ball times would be too long...so far that hasn't been an issue...Lord, knows, that hasn't been an issue! There is a fair amount of tweaking you can do to adjust the difficulty of the game. To that end, you may want to change some of the default settings to make it easier (and more fun) for your family. I'm guessing others may be able to make some recommendations on that front.

Bottom line...I'm no help...sorry

#2028 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

PL said that legs should be flat to the floor.

Add to this is individual preference on overall game height Both my wife and I prefer the game to sit higher, more accurately, our backs prefer the game to sit higher. So flat to the floor is not an option. In fact, the feet are almost fully extended.

1 week later
#2128 6 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Did I read somewhere in the thread that they have since modified their design on the scoop protector at the phone? Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

They may well have; however, the discussion on the redesigned protector was related to Cliffy's. Cliff redesigned his awhile ago (maybe November?). I have not seen anything regarding JJP changing theirs.

#2136 6 years ago

I'm sure I read about the solution, but can;t seem to find it. Right ranp, ball comes flying through hits the end and pops up. Usually, falls into the lane OK, but occasionally it bounces straight up out of the ranp , over the slings and out. Of course it only happens when you have a good ball going.

I was thinking there was a 'tweak' to correct this, but maybe not

#2141 6 years ago
Quoted from venom112:

Some owners are bending their ramp at the end but there is a new plastic JJP is installing to remedy this problem I would not bend or modify the original design of the ramp too much that can go wrong. Reach out to JJP I’m sure they will help you out with the plastic

Thanks, I'll do that

#2142 6 years ago

Speaking of brutal magnets. I was in some mode EMP? where the magnets run wild. The ball is coming straight at my right flipper. It's coming fast but I can tell it's gonna catch the last 20% or so, so no worries . As soon as the ball is just shy of the slings it takes a right turn. Now, I'm not talking about a sweeping turn, but a sharp, pure 90 degree turn. Immediately changed directions and went right to the right outlane and drained. My wife and I both looked at each other and said 'WTH was that!...did you see that?'. Well, I may have said a couple of other things.(it is very fortunate selfie mode is not video with audio ) After the initial shock, I couldn't help but smile. I've never seen such wild magnet interaction. Yes, it does induce a few four letter words but not as often as it makes me grin.

#2146 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Turn the magnets up to medium ... it is more exaggerated and more interesting fun.

I assume the default is medium, is it not? It is pretty exaggerated now, lots of dancing, reversal of direction, defying gravity, etc. If that is low, I don't want to see medium or high!

#2160 6 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

When you looked under the pf, did it look like the adjustment tab on the trapdoor mechanism was sticking up, or are they bending it down now?

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. The tab is sticking straight up; however, I've not had any issues with the trap door, so I have not bent it down

#2168 6 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

After a rigorous battle, I beat the game!

I'm curious to know how long that game took

#2190 6 years ago
Quoted from boostedskex:

I am still having the left ramp problem. If the ball doesn't bounce off of the ramp it hits the end of the ramp and goes back up the ramp a an inch or two. I have watched videos of many other DI's and I see the ball drop in the hole as soon as it gets there. Mine is playable but really frustrating. I have leveled, tweaked and tried every other trick I have seen people post about without a resolution. I know at least one person with the same problem is getting a new wire form ramp to correct this problem. Should I submit a ticket and contact JJP about this? I do not want to "bend" it to fix it.

Mine hits and almost always bounces up some and maybe rolls up the ramp a bit. It then falls through as it should. Now, on occasion, it bounces up and over the slings as a drain. I've contacted JJP about the plastic that is supposed to prevent this. I'm unclear what your issue is with it rolling back up a tad. Does it not fall through the hole like it should?

#2208 6 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Had a mega game last night.
Got ALL 8 SIM cards and then completed Showdown.
Was only a single mode of Armageddon.
Finished a bit over 7mil.
Simply a fantastic game.

How long did that game take?

#2210 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Curious, do you have "SIM Card Lit Memory" set to "YES"? ("NO" is the default)
Having SIM Card's preserved across balls is a huge win.
Either way, it's very impressive!
snaroff

That insert is clearly mislabeled. It's not SiM but rather SdtM, because every freaking time my wife or I light it, it drains within 10 seconds. And, since ours is set to the default...well our success rate in gathering SDTM cards is less than 10 percent. I have wondered how people manage to collect all the cards...not knowing that the option to preserve it is possible. I doubt we will be doing that. My wife won't even let me put that piece of foam on the Merlin hole of MM that helps prevent perfect shots from bouncing out. She says it is cheating.

#2240 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Meh. I'm not saying to LEAVE it that way, but if someone isn't enjoying the game, why not make it enjoyable while they learn.

I equate it with golf or shooting. You can be a decent golfer but can't even clear a hazard if you play from the gold championship tees. What's the point of tossing a half dozen balls in the drink? Play the white first, heck maybe even red.

Or, my wife and I are both pretty good shots, yet when we go to the range, we're shooting at 7-10yds (albeit with ~2.5" barrel length). Precision pistol is 50yds. It would be boring as hell shooting at a that distance.

#2279 6 years ago

The one setup 'option' that I think makes a ton of difference; however, no one ever seems to talk about it, is the flipper angle. I swear, a difference of only a couple degrees makes a huge difference in your ability to catch and cradle. Maybe, it's just me but I'll play a game with a different angle and it will play markedly different. I admit to being tempted to increase the angle on my DI a tad, but just can't make myself do it.

#2349 6 years ago
Quoted from nodyeliab:

I was having the same problem a lot of others were having with the ball bouncing out of the left ramp exit. I decided to make a small wire form to keep it from bouncing out. It was easy to make, and it does a great job!

Very nicely done. I looks 'stock' to my eye

2 weeks later
#2577 6 years ago
Quoted from clg:

It really doesn't look like much. Just play it and enjoy.

I can't begin to tell you how many threads I read where I look up toward heaven and say "Thank God I'm not OCD"

Now mind you I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my own work so I understand that what is seen can't be unseen. I am also acutely aware that if one has the OCD gene, things will just eat at you until it consumes your every thought.

I'm just not sure pinball is the best hobby for those that are OCD.

#2643 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Interesting. I'll have to check mine.
Quick question about the theatre. If you take a shot at the theatre, and it doesn't make it all the way up and around the turn, does the ball roll down for a sdtm drain?
Mine happens 90% of the time.

I see three behaviors on theater shots
1) catch and release e.g. EMP - ball rolls down to the left flipper
2) catch and toss e.g., 'target in the theater' ball is caught and tossed up and around to upper flipper
3) nothing e.g. trying to shoot thorough the theater and not enough speed to make it ball drains SDTM pretty often

Personally, I think this is how it should be. Doesn't stop me from cussing when #3 happens.

#2646 6 years ago

To the extent that one makes the proper shot correctly (scenarios 1 and 2) it would be extremely frustrating to have it go SDTM. Fortunately (knock on wood), mine is very consistent. Does it occasionally not do what it is supposed to? Maybe, probably, but it is so rare that I've not noticed. so it has to be fewer than 1 in 20 times.

3 months later
#3764 5 years ago

We are hosting a party with non-pinheads, so I want to make the game as fun as possible. I'll turn on the daily high score function and increase the ball saver time. I'm really on the fence about 3 vs 5 balls but are there any other settings y'all recommend to increase the fun and decrease the frustration for someone that is likely to just flail away?

#3768 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

5 ball is not absolutely necessary, I would hold off until people start getting into the “story” and the “levels” so to speak (e.g. the multiballs, CIQC, etc)
Hold over the SIM card across balls, that makes a huge difference in fun and scoring

I worry they will never get into the story and will instead move to the other games. I wish there were some way (maybe there is) to ensure that the Selfie mode always came up on 'trip' to Bob's as this tends to suck people into the game.

#3783 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Inside secret: On multi-player games, Selfie Mode is much more likely to happen.
--Ted

Interesting and quite clever actually. Heck, maybe you guys know a bit about game play in a real-world environment?...Naah, can't be (at least based on what I read on here )

1 month later
#4285 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One of the rubber stoppers that plug into the bottom of the playfield support rails ?

I'm guessing the one on front of the apron that the glass rests on...seems to like to pop off

#4367 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

How do you forgo multiball?

Press both flippers at the same time, you will see that on the phone. However, you can only defer once. (At least I don't know of any other way. That being said, there is so much complexity to the underlying rules I would not be surprised if there were other ways to delay it.)

#4451 5 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

OH YA! Ive missed a bunch of sim cards because of it. Maddening

For me, four scenarios.
1) magnet grabs the ball and flings it up. Goes around to the upper right flipper 100% of the time
2) magnet grabs ball and drops it down. Goes to the end of the left flipper 100% of the time
3) No active magnet but I hit it strong enough to make it through the station. Either goes around to top right flipper or drops into pops
4) No active magnet and I don't hit it strong enough to make it through the station. 75% of the time SDTM.

I think that is how the game should be. As soon as I hit a weak shot up the middle, I know I'm going to get screwed (yeah I try to nudge some but I don't manhandle and on the rare occasions I save it I always get a warning)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 22.50
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Oldgoat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club?tu=Oldgoat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.