Topic Stats

• 5,096 posts
  • 356 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 614 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20180814_190551 (resized).jpg
IMG_1406 (resized).jpg
IMG_1405 (resized).jpg
DropFix (resized).jpg
IMG_1370 (resized).PNG
B1504B56-3210-427A-BFA0-721BE95998E6 (resized).jpeg
B220CE87-B50A-45AF-BCD9-03DFBB771EEF (resized).jpeg
CF576706-696E-4A01-AFCB-C7E162FB53FC (resized).jpeg
01136F7D-D027-43FC-A62E-ABACB3336062 (resized).jpeg
DB146246-CC67-4C2C-B816-80369845047E (resized).jpeg
IMG_1202 (resized).JPG
IMG_1203 (resized).JPG
A0BC462F-688F-4443-8425-94C2599D5867 (resized).jpeg
E8879BCF-2E6D-46E8-93A7-821114BAEB37 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0567 (resized).JPG
IMG_20180726_150331 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

20 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5097 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 102.
#4101 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are people able to make a full left orbit on their machines? I sometimes can, but more often the ball ends up slowing down and going into the pops. Is that normal?

Yes, I can make it quite frequently. As snaroff mentions, it has to be a clean shot.

Playfield pitch and right flipper strength are the two biggest variables aside form a solid shot up the orbit.

#4102 3 months ago

Working on a custom topper using a small old Dell monitor 14x9 and vga splitter. Thanks to Mamemaster for the idea!!
Any ideas how to mount this? Could do a wall lcd mount behind the pin and hesitant to mount it on the back box somehow?
when I bought the dell monitor I was wondering if the image was going to in landscape mode since the cheap $7 flea market monitor did not have the portrait to landscape control setting but the vga card flips it so it was perfect.
Image could be a little better but once I mount it somehow I don't think it will matter.

IMG_0045 (resized).JPG

#4103 3 months ago

EDIT: Solved, never mind.

#4104 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Are people able to make a full left orbit on their machines? I sometimes can, but more often the ball ends up slowing down and going into the pops. Is that normal?

Look down your left orbit and make sure your trap door is laying flat. If it's not, it can take a lot of momentum from the ball.

#4105 3 months ago

Hi gang,

I posted a new topic about this weeks ago but ... since this is the "Dialed In" fan club / post ... I wanted to share.
I put together a video with Jersey Jack about the making of DI. I thought you might enjoy.

Here's the original post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-dialed-in-conversation-video-with-jersey-jack

Thanks for the time!
Chris

#4106 3 months ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

Working on a custom topper using a small old Dell monitor 14x9 and vga splitter. Thanks to Mamemaster for the idea!!
Any ideas how to mount this? Could do a wall lcd mount behind the pin and hesitant to mount it on the back box somehow?
when I bought the dell monitor I was wondering if the image was going to in landscape mode since the cheap $7 flea market monitor did not have the portrait to landscape control setting but the vga card flips it so it was perfect.
Image could be a little better but once I mount it somehow I don't think it will matter.

Maybe use something like this (I'm sure you can find a better one but I'm sure you get the idea)---
https://www.standupdeskstore.com/clamp-on-single-arm-monitor-mount?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PTXBRCGARIsAKNYfG3jLznz9xtp28CJbytmoGnWVjCCsRoWukQ19T4wKRxyRWJCL-ufB6EaAtpSEALw_wcB

sud-mount-m1-whole (resized).jpg

#4107 3 months ago

Ugh.. I've given up on this game!
Preparing to MFS list this game.. if someone is near me and interested in picking up before
I list it national on here.. PM
Thanks,
Steven

#4108 3 months ago

Thanks but where would the clamps be put onto you would have to put an overlapping board screwed to the top of the back box?

Maybe this in the picture and either wall mount it or screw it to the top of the back box then maybe a safety strap in case it comes loose Its only 15 bucks with free shipping from California on ebay!

$_35 (resized).jpg

#4109 3 months ago

Thanks all for the responses on the orbit. I'll try to up my flipper strength some more, though I already did that a couple of times. I'll also play around with the pitch.

Quoted from vireland:

Look down your left orbit and make sure your trap door is laying flat. If it's not, it can take a lot of momentum from the ball.

The trap door is flat, but there is still a slight bump from the hinge in back that I'm guessing slows down the ball somewhat, though I imagine there is nothing I can do about that . . . .

#4110 3 months ago

I took the Mylar off the magnets today, swear my theater is SDTMing a lot more now, any suggestions?

#4111 3 months ago

I upped my flipper strength another notch, and it does seem to help make the orbit shot. You guys are right, though. It takes a pretty accurate shot to make it. The left orbit is actually pretty tight, and if you don't hit it right, the ball can slow down from the beginning.

I also just had a really good game going. Completed a mode, got a sim card, completed another mode, lit the sim card shot, and then got the ball stuck behind one of the drones. When I went to free it, I drained, and it was my last ball. I was sure I was on my way to a new GC score too.

#4112 3 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I took the Mylar off the magnets today, swear my theater is SDTMing a lot more now, any suggestions?

May need to set the timing again... i had to mess with mine after removing the mylar

#4113 3 months ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Preparing to MFS list this game.. if someone is near me and interested in picking up before
Thanks,
Steven

? Given up y ?

#4114 3 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

May need to set the timing again... i had to mess with mine after removing the mylar

Where is the timing in the menu? I couldn’t find it

#4115 3 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Where is the timing in the menu? I couldn’t find it

Under device test ... theater magnet

#4116 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Mine depends on how fast the ball travels up the orbit. You 'll get a feel after awhile of whether it's going all the way around or not.

Wait until you scream one up the right side assuming it will go up the ramp and it comes back down the left side. I've had a couple right orbits / loops to date.

Great game.

#4117 3 months ago
Quoted from chill:

Wait until you scream one up the right side assuming it will go up the ramp and it comes back down the left side. I've had a couple right orbits / loops to date.

Does that happen? That’s not by design, right?

#4118 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Not unless the flipper power is so high that it can jump up the ledge to get to the left orbit. Never happened on mine and definitely not by design. Unless I am misunderstanding something.

#4119 3 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

? Given up y ?

Yeah why,Dialed In is the best pin in years!

#4120 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

No, it's not supposed to happen. Most medium to strong right orbit shots make it up the ramp. One in a hundred shots, the ball will whack into the ramp "divider" where it's supposed to make the turn up the ramp and not make it up the ramp (I think Snaroff and someone else had a fix for this if it happened too often). And once in a thousand or so shots, the ball will magically jump the centimeter up to the platform where the orbits meet in the back and come down the left side.

No game I've ever owned had such crazy ball spin as this game. The magnets and shot geometry and everything make for a truly "the ball is wild" experience.

#4121 3 months ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

Working on the same thing. I'm going to attach mine with Velcro. Easy to remove with heat. Be sure you have a powered splitter, or your phone will go dim.

#4122 3 months ago

After playing a few games tonight, an idea came to me on the lottery/scratcher mode. I think it would be nice when you scratch the ticket if it gave you either points or an award. The awards could be any of these. Add a ball, light Big Bang, start a mode, award a lock and if you hit the lottery a letter on the Dialed In. Just an idea but scratching the ticket would be way more exciting, either points or an award.

#4123 3 months ago
Quoted from BigT:

After playing a few games tonight, an idea came to me on the lottery/scratcher mode. I think it would be nice when you scratch the ticket if it gave you either points or an award. The awards could be any of these. Add a ball, light Big Bang, start a mode, award a lock and if you hit the lottery a letter on the Dialed In. Just an idea but scratching the ticket would be way more exciting, either points or an award.

Cool in theory, but it would make the game easier and base it more on luck rather than skill.

#4124 3 months ago

The lottery ticket is a cool idea, but the risk vs reward with the mode makes it not worth going for. I'm always disappointed to see how many points I got at the end of the mode.

#4125 3 months ago
Quoted from chill:

No game I've ever owned had such crazy ball spin as this game. The magnets and shot geometry and everything make for a truly "the ball is wild" experience.

Turn the magnets up to medium to see it get pretty wild. My wife doesn't care for it up that high, but I think it adds to the gimmicks of the game better.

#4126 3 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Turn the magnets up to medium to see it get pretty wild. My wife doesn't care for it up that high, but I think it adds to the gimmicks of the game better.

Ive had mine on medium from get go and makes it much more difficult and i believe thats how pat designed it. It does some crazy movements ....

#4127 3 months ago
Quoted from chill:

No, it's not supposed to happen. Most medium to strong right orbit shots make it up the ramp. One in a hundred shots, the ball will whack into the ramp "divider" where it's supposed to make the turn up the ramp and not make it up the ramp (I think Snaroff and someone else had a fix for this if it happened too often). And once in a thousand or so shots, the ball will magically jump the centimeter up to the platform where the orbits meet in the back and come down the left side.

Exactly...here is a link to a simple fix I posted 4 months ago (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-right-orbitramp-ball-rejects).

snaroff

#4128 3 months ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

A couple of adjustments that will drastically improve the enjoyment of the game:

1) Change SIM card setting to carry over ball-to-ball
2) Change Add-a-ball to start with "Add" already completed (only two shots needed).
3) Allow 2 kickbacks to be stacked.

The game by design is very difficult, even for good players. It can be frustrating and I've found especially new players are turned off by the harshness of it even though it looks like an inviting game (same thing happens with my Dr. Dude....artwork makes it look so inviting and then players discover it's a tougher game than it looks). I run a league of all newbies (the goal being to introduce non-players to the world of pinball) and the first 5 weeks of the league, DILE was set at factory settings. People hated being assigned Dialed In in league play. After I made the above changes and didn't tell anyone, sentiment completely changed about the game.

#4129 3 months ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

A couple of adjustments that will drastically improve the enjoyment of the game:
1) Change SIM card setting to carry over ball-to-ball
2) Change Add-a-ball to start with "Add" already completed (only two shots needed).
3) Allow 2 kickbacks to be stacked.

I can see this for newbs, but I disagree with nerfing the rules. The game is way more fun when there is intense pressure to score a sim and/or relight kickback. I also dislike easy add a ball rules. On location though, these would be good settings to encourage coin drop.

#4130 3 months ago

The only thing I changed from default is SIM memory on, I agree this makes it much more enjoyable. If I ever get good enough where it seems to easy I'll change it back.

#4131 3 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I can see this for newbs, but I disagree with nerfing the rules. The game is way more fun when there is intense pressure to score a sim and/or relight kickback. I also dislike easy add a ball rules. On location though, these would be good settings to encourage coin drop.

If there was any skill to hitting the Sim card shot, I'd keep it from carrying over. Unfortunately, on my game it's not makeable off the flipper so I have it carry over. The game is still plenty difficult carrying over.

#4132 3 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

You're welcome to disagree. Everyone has their thing. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good player. After 200 plays, my entire high score table consists of scores over 6 million on factory settings. But even high score games I found to be more frustrating than enjoyable. I don't trust that DI's factory settings were well thought out and tested to be an optimal balance of fun/challenging. The scoring is unbalanced and the most important shot in the game is an extremely difficult side flipper shot that relies often on luck. That's not a challenge to me, that's frustrating. The right scoop shot on Metallica is what one would call a challenging shot...but you can make it every time if you have the timing right. Good luck with that on the SIM shot.

#4133 3 months ago

What does it mean to allow 2 kickbacks to be stacked?

#4134 3 months ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

What does it mean to allow 2 kickbacks to be stacked?

If you already have the kickback lit, and you spell BOB again (which normally lights the kickback), under factory settings, the kickback is unaffected. With stacking turned on, it would add another kickback so that when you use the one you have, it will then re-lite it because you had another one stacked. You can set how many it will stack. 2 is reasonable. You could change the inlane post too but that will prevent too many drains vs. allowing stacking.

#4135 3 months ago

I did the Sim memory and further closed the right outlane.
Doesn't matter adding # balls to game.. since really the object is to take the ball you have and get modes done.. lots of them
to have lots of SIM cards to collect.. that and Big Bang to get lots of points.
I think you can set MODES to easier? and you can hit the phone to keep adding time..
even with all that.. ball would usually drain first before completing some modes.. alot of times I would set Big Bang first so I could always hit it to complete a mode early...
Still not pass thru/complete many modes collect many SIM cards to have much fun... gave up!

#4136 3 months ago

I don't worry about SIM cards as I hardly complete a mode anyway. lol.

I did notice the other day that I'm hearing some static/interference. Sounds like it's coming from the left side.

#4137 3 months ago

DI is easily one of the best games in the last decade, but I have to admit that the main multiball is too hard by design. First off, it's only two balls to start and it takes a lot of hits to add a ball. Then you've got multiple active deterrents running at the same time - the playfield magnets, the moving QED guy, the flipper disable shot after only two jackpots, and finally, the playfield design itself doesn't promote keeping more than one ball in play very well. I know it's supposed to be a "battle" but it's just demoralizing how short it ends up being.

Of course, all you need to do is look at Pat's WMS-era games to see this is all intentional - he's always made multiball hard to get and insanely difficult to score in or last any length of time. He just doesn't like multiball.

Contrast with Iron Maiden, the new girl on the block, which I find strikes a nice balance between overly-multiball heavy (Hobbit) and DI, where the number of them and more importantly the duration is kept at a more satisfying level.

I don't think it makes DI a "worse" game, just different. Personally for me it's less satisfying, and it's not something that could be fixed in software because it's a conscious design decision. Or maybe I should just play better.

#4138 3 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Of course, all you need to do is look at Pat's WMS-era games to see this is all intentional - he's always made multiball hard to get and insanely difficult to score in or last any length of time. He just doesn't like multiball.

Doesn't resonate with me. I find DI's MB's fairly easy to achieve and MB's last longer than average. From my perspective, Pat likes MB's Overall, DI is not an easy game for me...think my high score is around 3M IIRC.

snaroff

#4139 3 months ago
Quoted from jwilson:

First off, it's only two balls to start and it takes a lot of hits to add a ball.

a lot of shots? it takes 3, that's not lot. if you time it right you get one in the phone and as its ready to eject send aonther ball there, the first falls right back in giving you a second "hit"

#4140 3 months ago
Quoted from Marvin:

a lot of shots? it takes 3, that's not lot.

On average it takes more than 3.....due to a really awful design decision, the phone cannot detect a shot to it of a ball is already in there from the SIM or BOB hole. So it's common to hit the phone 4-6 times during multiball before you're actually credited for 3 shots. This is the main reason I changed it to 2 shots required instead of 3 on mine....because in all likelihood you made 3 shots anyway.

#4141 3 months ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

On average it takes more than 3.....due to a really awful design decision, the phone cannot detect a shot to it of a ball is already in there from the SIM or BOB hole. So it's common to hit the phone 4-6 times during multiball before you're actually credited for 3 shots. This is the main reason I changed it to 2 shots required instead of 3 on mine....because in all likelihood you made 3 shots anyway.

I just keep a note of what's going on in the sewer. If there is action under there, I shoot for jackpots. If not, I add a notch to add-a-ball. To me, it's all about knowing the game and playing to the code. I don't mind this at all.

#4142 3 months ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

While normally I agree with you, if someone’s not enjoying the game to the point that they want to get rid of it, there’s no reason not to change the settings. That is one of the things I love about JJPs pins is that almost everything is adjustable so that you can DIAL it IN to your own likes and playing ability.

See what I did there.

I made WOZ easier when I first got it by being generous with extra balls. Now that I’ve gotten more used to the table, I dialed everything back to make it more challenging.

#4143 3 months ago

Has anyone bought one of those candy chrome shooter rods for DI? I was looking at the blue one but wasn’t sure how the color matched up to the LE.

#4144 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Has anyone bought one of those candy chrome shooter rods for DI? I was looking at the blue one but wasn’t sure how the color matched up to the LE.

I have a butterscotch one.
I'm sure blue or purple would look good too.

IMG_2359 (resized).JPG

IMG_2360 (resized).JPG

#4145 3 months ago

Mine is blue with orange

D4CABD96-442D-4B75-9725-671061A629B5 (resized).jpeg

#4146 3 months ago

Noticed yesterday that the Dialed In Manual (PDF) has been updated again from Feb 2018 to May 2018.

#4147 3 months ago
Quoted from knobstone:

Noticed yesterday that the Dialed In Manual (PDF) has been updated again from Feb 2018 to May 2018.

Someone posted in another thread that there is a new MB shown on the flowchart related to the theater modes. Anyone know whether this is in existing code and how exactly it is achieved?

77CAE010-C1A3-42C5-BC1A-8A4510A5A54F (resized).jpeg

#4149 3 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Someone posted in another thread that there is a new MB shown on the flowchart related to the theater modes. Anyone know whether this is in existing code and how exactly it is achieved?

I've never achieved it or heard of it. Probably in the update they are working on? Sounds like the documentation might be ahead of the code...

snaroff

#4150 3 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've never achieved it or heard of it. Probably in the update they are working on? Sounds like the documentation might be ahead of the code...
snaroff

Love their commitment to code!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Morristown, NJ
$ 209.99
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 18.99
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 57.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 5097 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 102.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside