IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 273.
#3451 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Balls magnetized and sticking in the ball trough ?
Plunger that kicks the ball up to the shooter lane sticking up a billionth of an inch too high and not letting balls roll into place ? ( It is adjustable, four screws hold coil/plunger bracket to end of ball trough, can be loosened and raised or lowered. Don't go too far either direction )
LTG : )

I think it might be the coil/plunger now that you mention that. I'm glad to hear it can be adjusted. Thanks a ton, I'm going to check that out tonight.

Quoted from PinMonk:

For #1 it sounds like maybe the machine isn't level side to side or the balls are magnetized.
For #2 the wire on the switch needs to be adjusted so a slow ball can always trigger it. Using a wire switch there was a TERRIBLE design choice. It's butted up against stuff underneath and getting it adjusted perfectly is time consuming. Basically just bending and tweaking the wire trigger side to side and back and forward until it's just right. Once you get it right, it will stay, though. I was adjusting it on and off for about a month and after I got it right, it's stayed good for almost a year now.

That's great to hear about #2, I did not realize it was a wire sensor. Opto seems ideal there, but that's probably more $$. Thanks for the help. Great community here.

#3452 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

I think it might be the coil/plunger now that you mention that. I'm glad to hear it can be adjusted. Thanks a ton, I'm going to check that out tonight.

That's great to hear about #2, I did not realize it was a wire sensor. Opto seems ideal there, but that's probably more $$. Thanks for the help. Great community here.

I think an opto was just a tougher fit. It's very tight in that area. Lots packed in.

#3453 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think an opto was just a tougher fit. It's very tight in that area. Lots packed in.

Yeah, you're right. I just got done looking at it, and it's super tight.

I did find that the balls were slightly magnetized. They couldn't pick up a small paperclip, but they would pull a compass needle. I swapped them out with new and adjusted the wire switch and everything is working fine at the moment. I think I'm going to the a tumbler or vibration cleaner to try to polish and demagnetize the balls. I might even mess around with a degausser.

#3454 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

Yeah, you're right. I just got done looking at it, and it's super tight.
I did find that the balls were slightly magnetized. They couldn't pick up a small paperclip, but they would pull a compass needle. I swapped them out with new and adjusted the wire switch and everything is working fine at the moment. I think I'm going to the a tumbler or vibration cleaner to try to polish and demagnetize the balls. I might even mess around with a degausser.

Or just use carbon steel balls and be done with the problem.

#3455 6 years ago

Right flipper spring fractured about 4mm from the end during normal play today. I removed it and pulled one turn forward to try and re-use it and it fractured 2mm more down. I gotta admit, this spring seems a bit wimpy for a flipper.

Maybe it's the dry heat here in Vegas.

IMG_2214 (resized).JPGIMG_2214 (resized).JPG

#3456 6 years ago

I am trying to figure out if there is a cue before the game takes a picture for a high score? I would like to make a funny pose but can't seem to figure out when the game is taking my picture.

#3457 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I am trying to figure out if there is a cue before the game takes a picture for a high score? I would like to make a funny pose but can't seem to figure out when the game is taking my picture.

Soon as u hit end it takes it

#3458 6 years ago

That's what I thought thanks

#3459 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

It depends, the game will use an earlier pic if it does not get a good one, or if it is deemed problematic, when names are put in. Next time you get a high score have someone else out in your name. It'll still usually have your pic correct.

#3460 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Soon as u hit end it takes it

Nope - not always. If you stick out your tongue or make a goofy face it "usually" uses a pic it took previously. The facial recognition somehow detects that. If you stand there and smile, it always take it when you hit the start button to enter the high score initials/name.

#3461 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Nope - not always. If you stick out your tongue or make a goofy face it "usually" uses a pic it took previously. The facial recognition somehow detects that. If you stand there and smile, it always take it when you hit the start button to enter the high score initials/name.

Yep this has been my experience as well. The first pic it took of me I was looking at the game and had sort of a frown on my face, and it uses that pic EVERY time!!

#3462 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

3. Sometimes when the ball goes into the sim card slot, it will trigger the trap door sensor (Emoji, selfie, etc.)

This happened to me too. When the BOB opto is very close to the sim hole (they share the same subway) and the sim hole shot will roll the ball back up the subway and activate the BoB opto before the SIM hole opto. I followed the suggestion from another pinsider and moved the BoB opto further up the subway. I did have to drill two teeny pilot holes for the screws but it was a simple fix that has solved this issue completely.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dailed-in-by-jjp/page/31#post-4167664

Quoted from JWJr:

I farted around with that issue on mine for a month_, and never could get it right. I finally hit on the idea of moving the BOB opto arch around the curve from it's current location, away from the SIM Card hole, as close to the trap door as I could get it. Only two screws, and even though the subway is drilled where the opto was originally located, it works just fine in its new location shining through the subway. Problem solved.

#3463 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yep this has been my experience as well. The first pic it took of me I was looking at the game and had sort of a frown on my face, and it uses that pic EVERY time!!

I can see this being a problem for those who suffer from Bitchy Resting Face.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resting_bitch_face

#3464 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I can see this being a problem for those who suffer from Bitchy Resting Face.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resting_bitch_face

Major problem. I’m calling JJP...

#3465 6 years ago

I think the player should have more control when the picture is taken so we can pose how we want.

#3466 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I think the player should have more control when the picture is taken so we can pose how we want.

I understand they're very afraid of people showing their tits or dongs it seems, and that's understandable, but make it a setting that can be changed.

#3467 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I remember reading they had to spend some time on the face detection software, so people couldn’t take uh.. untoward pictures on location. Maybe they could add a home setting that lets you take sillier pictures

#3468 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

2. If the ball does not have enough speed when going into the skill shot, it will not trigger, and I have to nudge the machine

This happens regularly on my machine. I've wondered whether removing the Cliffy would help. Has anyone tried this and seen improvement? Or is it all about bending the wire (which I've tried without much success so far)?

#3469 6 years ago

I've only had the game for a couple days now and the whole family is having a blast, especially me! I have tried a number of things to get the theatre magnet to stop dropping the ball SDTM, but nothing really seems to work. I have changed the pulse to a higher number that seemed to work for most of the theatre shots, but during EMP strike and collecting hurry ups it still drops the ball SDTM. Has anyone just turned the magnet off?

Also the previous owner said he put Cliffy's on the game, I am wondering what version, the Theatre cliffy doesn't sit perfectly flush, the 3m tape Cliff puts on the protector isn't sticking to the play field and there is a little bit of a lip, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need to order another set?

#3470 6 years ago

I am thinking the 2 posts at the phone scoop may have been tightened too much and flexed the protector. I will try and loosen them off and see if that helps.

#3471 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I've only had the game for a couple days now and the whole family is having a blast, especially me! I have tried a number of things to get the theatre magnet to stop dropping the ball SDTM, but nothing really seems to work. I have changed the pulse to a higher number that seemed to work for most of the theatre shots, but during EMP strike and collecting hurry ups it still drops the ball SDTM. Has anyone just turned the magnet off?
Also the previous owner said he put Cliffy's on the game, I am wondering what version, the Theatre cliffy doesn't sit perfectly flush, the 3m tape Cliff puts on the protector isn't sticking to the play field and there is a little bit of a lip, is there anyway to fix this, or do I need to order another set?

Dont need a cliffy at the theater? Mylar around the magnets is all u need .

#3472 6 years ago

I meant phone scoop. I just took it off and gave it a little fine tuned bending and it is lying more flush now.

#3473 6 years ago

So, after having the JJP scoop protectors installed for a while, I recently changed them to the Cliffy protectors (provided at no charge from JJP).
Wow, what a difference- night and day.
When I first installed the JJP phone scoop protector, it seemed to work well. Over time, the rejects got increasingly worse.

Even the SIM card scoop seems better with the Cliffy installed. I actually hit the shot a couple of times from the upper flipper following installation this evening.

This is truly am amazing game; just takes some time to get perfectly dialed in.

#3474 6 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

So, after having the JJP scoop protectors installed for a while, I recently changed them to the Cliffy protectors (provided at no charge from JJP).
Wow, what a difference- night and day.
When I first installed the JJP phone scoop protector, it seemed to work well. Over time, the rejects got increasingly worse.
Even the SIM card scoop seems better with the Cliffy installed. I actually hit the shot a couple of times from the upper flipper following installation this evening.

Cliff has the most experience with these because he pioneered the product and has worked with it for WAY longer than anyone else. The dude's a genius - lots of engineering experience that isn't being tapped. Hopefully JJP works more closely with him while the playfield holes are being designed in the whitewoods - ditto the other manufacturers that aren't yet shipping with Cliffies from the factory. As you said, the difference is night and day. Props to JJP for being the first to ship their games with actual Cliffies from the factory.

#3475 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or just use carbon steel balls and be done with the problem.

I used carbon, but after 30 games they already had nicks in them and I had a few scuffs in the playfield, I even have a nick, barely noticeable, but I can feel it will my fingernail. I'm a little concerned with how they would affect the playfield long term.

After 200 plays with the ninjas, they still feel smooth. The magnetism is an issue though . It looks like ill have to spend a lot of $$ on balls, or figure a way to demagnetize the ninjas.

#3476 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

I used carbon, but after 30 games they already had nicks in them and I had a few scuffs in the playfield, I even have a nick, barely noticeable, but I can feel it will my fingernail. I'm a little concerned with how they would affect the playfield long term.
After 200 plays with the ninjas, they still feel smooth. The magnetism is an issue though . It looks like ill have to spend a lot of $$ on balls, or figure a way to demagnetize the ninjas.

Or just wax your playfield more often and use carbon balls. Problem solved, money saved. We're running them on a route and haven't had any issues, but they get waxed religiously. Ninja balls are about cosmetics of the balls, period.

#3477 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or just wax your playfield more often and use carbon balls. Problem solved, money saved. We're running them on a route and haven't had any issues, but they get waxed religiously. Ninja balls are about cosmetics of the balls, period.

Where do you get yourcarbons from? Any advice on where I could get? How often do you swap them out, on average?

#3478 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

Where do you get yourcarbons from? Any advice on where I could get? How often do you swap them out, on average?

Pinball life? Marco? One of those. We bought a bunch, so it's been a while since we've needed more. 2x a year is the most often we swap balls, and usually it's once a year if the ball starts to look visibly messed up or feels rough. For us, waxing as a religion is the biggest secret to PF health.

#3479 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pinball life? Marco? One of those. We bought a bunch, so it's been a while since we've needed more. 2x a year is the most often we swap balls, and usually it's once a year if the ball starts to look visibly messed up or feels rough. For us, waxing as a religion is the biggest secret to PF health.

Which wax would you recommend?

#3480 6 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Which wax would you recommend?

I use P21S Carnuba wax

https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12700W-Carnauba-Wax/dp/B002LOP5E4

This tub lasts quite a while. Put it on, then wipe it off with a shop cloth, then I buff it out with a soft wool polishing pad on a drill. Speeds up the job and makes the playfield FAST for the next 30 or so games.

#3481 6 years ago

Hi there,
This pin needs to be precisely set up to play well.
Sometimes my shooter rod works bad, hitting the ball on the top and whatever the strength the ball cant reach the playfield...sometimes i can’t do the left ramp in backhand by lack of power....sometimes the ball is blocked by the diverter arm on the left ramp, slightly down too much .... the scoop shot is still hard to do and I doubt it is only coz of the cliffy protector ...the SIM card shot is also tough, too much tough...I can’t remember if I already succeeded it otherwise than by luck (and draining before sucks)

First I just want to know if someone has adjusted differently the flippers than factory set up?

Thanks

#3482 6 years ago

On my game I can backhand the phone scoop and backhand the left ramp (just barley). I have upped the left flipper 1 point and the right flipper 2 points. Hitting the SIM card on purpose reliably is impossible for me. However, I think the SIM hole is easy enough to hit randomly so that you don't really need to specifically go for it, sooner or later it will fall in there. I try to get in a multi ball when I have it lit and most of the time it falls in there. When I spend too many shots dedicated to SIM card I get frustrated and end up draining, with patience I have found it will fall in there eventually.

#3483 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

On my game I can backhand the phone scoop and backhand the left ramp (just barley). I have upped the left flipper 1 point and the right flipper 2 points. Hitting the SIM card on purpose reliably is impossible for me. However, I think the SIM hole is easy enough to hit randomly so that you don't really need to specifically go for it, sooner or later it will fall in there. I try to get in a multi ball when I have it lit and most of the time it falls in there. When I spend too many shots dedicated to SIM card I get frustrated and end up draining, with patience I have found it will fall in there eventually.

Any tips on adjusting so I can backhand the scoop? It seems like I have enough power, but not the right angle. I either hit too late or it hits the sling post.

#3484 6 years ago

It is not an easy shot that's for sure but I seem to hit it regularly. On my game I have the back legs turned down about 1/4" or so, that's the only thing I have done so far.

#3485 6 years ago
Quoted from geoncic:

Any tips on adjusting so I can backhand the scoop? It seems like I have enough power, but not the right angle. I either hit too late or it hits the sling post.

I cannot backshand the scoop when the ball is resting on the right flipper. I can only do it when the ball is coming at the flipper with some speed. I cannot backhand the left ramp reliably, it’s a tough shot and I don’t want to increase flipper power.

#3486 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
Sometimes my shooter rod works bad, hitting the ball on the top and whatever the strength the ball cant reach the playfield...

This sounds like your playfield bracket has "faded" and bent a little so the auto launcher sometimes drags on the shooter rod. The difference is a little as 1/8" bend in the right playfield bracket hook (down) OR a spacer between the underside of playfield and where the bracket bolts on. That will raise it back up again and the shooter rod won't have this issue. Hobbit had the same problem occasionally.

#3487 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This sounds like your playfield bracket has "faded" and bent a little so the auto launcher sometimes drags on the shooter rod. The difference is a little as 1/8" bend in the right playfield bracket hook (down) OR a spacer between the underside of playfield and where the bracket bolts on. That will raise it back up again and the shooter rod won't have this issue. Hobbit had the same problem occasionally.

Or you could just unscrew the shooter rod assembly, move it where you want, and screw it back. 2 minute job. Should never ever need to bend the playfield hangers.

#3488 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Or you could just unscrew the shooter rod assembly, move it where you want, and screw it back. 2 minute job. Should never ever need to bend the playfield hangers.

Well, that's right, you SHOULDN'T, but this is a case of the hangers BENDING DOWN (from playfield weight? too soft? dunno...), so you HAVE to do this when this happens because you can't move the shooter rod low enough to stop the auto launcher hood from dragging on it. If your playfield hanger has faded, moving the rod will NOT help. Been through this twice, once with Hobbit, and once with Dialed In (never with WoZ for some reason). Your solution will not work in this situation. The two solutions I recommended will. Third solution would be getting a new bracket from JJP, but that takes time.

Shooting this in your iphone slow motion video when it happens will make it clear what's happening and if this is the correct solution.

#3489 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Hi there,
Sometimes my shooter rod works bad, hitting the ball on the top and whatever the strength the ball cant reach the playfield...sometimes i can’t do the left ramp in backhand by lack of power....sometimes the ball is blocked by the diverter arm on the left ramp, slightly down too much .... the scoop shot is still hard to do and I doubt it is only coz of the cliffy protector ...the SIM card shot is also tough, too much tough...I can’t remember if I already succeeded it otherwise than by luck (and draining before sucks)
First I just want to know if someone has adjusted differently the flippers than factory set up?
Thanks

Actually, what I would recommend is loosen the shooter housing, then on the outside of the cabinet, place a small flat washer between the cabinet and the bottom of the housing. then tighten the top screw of the housing first, followed by the bottom two. What this will do is tilt the shooter rod down a little so that it misses the auto launch and hits more in the center of the ball.

#3490 6 years ago

My topper for now.

EAE45595-EA1B-4E59-A105-D434C60B9A92 (resized).jpegEAE45595-EA1B-4E59-A105-D434C60B9A92 (resized).jpeg

#3491 6 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Actually, what I would recommend is loosen the shooter housing, then on the outside of the cabinet, place a small flat washer between the cabinet and the bottom of the housing. then tighten the top screw of the housing first, followed by the bottom two. What this will do is tilt the shooter rod down a little so that it misses the auto launch and hits more in the center of the ball.

That is what I was thinking about..a kind of DIY...was just thinking to work inside the cabinet and place washer on the top of the housing...I will see.
Am I alone in this case?
Seriously, why the final customer needs to do that kind of adjustment? It seems to me incredible.
Thanks anyway

#3492 6 years ago

(to follow... )

#3493 6 years ago

I can backhand my phone scoop. Just barely. It’s actually a very low percentage shot since I have to just barely miss the sling. On other machines there is a much wider tolerance for error and it’s higher percentage.

I haven’t found a way to improve it. Maybe a different revision of the plastics on some machines?

Anyway scoop is easy to hit with the left flipper. Just forces me to do a lot of Post passes.

A few days into TNA and on that thing it fully exercises all back hand shots, drop catch, love catch All at super speeds. So I get my fix for the backhand shots from there.

#3494 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I can backhand my phone scoop. Just barely. It’s actually a very low percentage shot since I have to just barely miss the sling. On other machines there is a much wider tolerance for error and it’s higher percentage.
I haven’t found a way to improve it. Maybe a different revision of the plastics on some machines?
Anyway scoop is easy to hit with the left flipper. Just forces me to do a lot of Post passes.
A few days into TNA and on that thing it fully exercises all back hand shots, drop catch, love catch All at super speeds. So I get my fix for the backhand shots from there.

I’ve found a lot of success shooting toward the right ramp halfway and then tapping it in with the upper flipper. That shot presents itself a lot more than trying to backhand! I will have to practice that too

#3495 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve found a lot of success shooting toward the right ramp halfway and then tapping it in with the upper flipper. That shot presents itself a lot more than trying to backhand! I will have to practice that too

Yah, after a good skill shot many times I backhand the upper flipper into the scoop. Or I leave the upper flipper up and the ball coasts into the Big Bang lite targets.

#3496 6 years ago

I’ve just had the trap door flap snap off during game. The rest of the flap fell into the subway.

4539B183-8FD5-43E6-993F-2DA8EC3C72B1 (resized).jpeg4539B183-8FD5-43E6-993F-2DA8EC3C72B1 (resized).jpeg

#3497 6 years ago

Hey guys, recently purchased DI the previous owner didn't mention anything about the scratches on the play field is this normal for DO? I have games with 5000+ plays and nothing as bad as this. It is easy to see in the reflection of the light, but it is like that everywhere.

20180408_104027 (resized).jpg20180408_104027 (resized).jpg

20180408_104013 (resized).jpg20180408_104013 (resized).jpg

20180408_104002 (resized).jpg20180408_104002 (resized).jpg

#3498 6 years ago

I have installed orange convolux protection. What a great enhancement!

#3499 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Hey guys, recently purchased DI the previous owner didn't mention anything about the scratches on the play field is this normal for DO? I have games with 5000+ plays and nothing as bad as this. It is easy to see in the reflection of the light, but it is like that everywhere.

Mine is like this also... can only see in certain light. Its just light scratches in clear which happens when balls get worn/damaged. Its no big deal imo it may bother some.

#3500 6 years ago

It doesn't bother me if it is normal wear. None of my other games are even close to this bad though, wonder why this clear is showing scratches so badly?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.