IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,630 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 273.
#3051 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Haha nice!
So was doing some reading on checking continuity, and seems some people cut the wire housing at certain points to see if there is an issue?
Can I just test all solder points, and then when I hopefully find the short, I can then isolate that line?
Still learning, so would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

You don't need to cut anything. Just put your meter in continuity mode and put one lead on the black wire connection to the flipper EOS before and the other lead on the black wire of the next EOS switch. Once you get a continuity reading, move to the next one doing the same thing. Be sure to check from the first flipper in the chain back to the I/O board, too.

#3052 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Be sure to check from the first flipper in the chain back to the I/O board, too.

A little confused by this. Can you expand?

#3053 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

A little confused by this. Can you expand?

Do you have a multimeter? Post a pic of the dial with the settings.

Page C-133 of the manual will be helpful, too, so make sure you have your manual PDF handy.

#3054 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a multimeter? Post a pic of the dial with the settings.
Page C-133 of the manual will be helpful, too, so make sure you have your manual PDF handy.

Is this the correct setting?

IMG_20180228_003034 (resized).jpgIMG_20180228_003034 (resized).jpg

#3055 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

With respect - in order to avoid the impression that this is a “cliffy vs mantis” post, I would avoid referring to the factory protectors as
“Cliffys” since they are not

Maybe call them JJP "thickys" protectors.

#3056 6 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is this the correct setting?

Yes, and if you have a tone button (that will play a beep when continuity exists so you don't have to look at the display) it will be helpful. I don't seen one on the face.

Power off for safety. You don't need it on for this test.

Power on multimeter and make sure it's set to continuity. Touch the leads of the two probes together and note what continuity looks like on the display.

So on page C-133 you can see that the EOS switches are all using the black wire as common, and it connects to the board at J-601-1 (the first pin of J601 connector). So jam one probe from your multimeter into the top of J601-1 where the wire comes out of the connector top so the probe will contact the metal bit holding the wire into the connector. Then touch the other probe to the black wire on the Left Flipper EOS switch. Make sure you're getting continuity. If so that means that wire segment is good.

Then touch one probe to the black wire connector on the Left Flipper EOS and the other to the Right Flipper EOS. If you're getting continuity, that segment is good.

Then touch one probe to the black wire connector on the Right Flipper EOS and the other to the Upper Right Flipper EOS. If you're getting continuity, that last segment is good.

If any of those segments don't have continuity, that's your problem. Since all three are out, I would expect that the first segment from J601-1 to the first EOS is the one that's out, but that's only a guess.

#3057 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The older ones aren't, but the Dialed In machines since at least the end of January are confirmed to be shipping with actual Cliffies (which are much thinner than this protector, so a comparison without including a Cliffy is kind of worthless).

Agreed, which this comparison doesn’t include

#3058 6 years ago

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the factory protectors were changed at least once before they went to cliffy.

I have a late game manufactured a week before the cliffy switch and a phone scoop reject is rare.

According to your numbers, my late phone scoop factory protector beats all those easily.

Quoted from mrgregb123:

No Scoop - 42 out of 50
Mantis - 36 out of 50
Factory Cliffy - 24 out of 50

#3059 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

With respect - in order to avoid the impression that this is a “cliffy vs mantis” post, I would avoid referring to the factory protectors as
“Cliffys” since they are not

Sorry, this was not meant as a Cliffy vs. Mantis post. It was a Mantis post + here's how easy the shot is to make with various states of protection I have access to. If Cliffy responded to me when I emailed him to buy his, I'd have included it. Whether or not his protectors are great, he doesn't make it easy to buy them.

But I'm not doing the Android vs. iPhone thing here. The two styles of protectors are much different and they serve totally different preferences. Buy whichever one you prefer. I'm very happy with the way the Mantis version turned out and if I wasn't I would have told Kerry as much.

About the the whole referring to protectors that resemble Cliffys as Cliffys - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator#Loss_of_trademark_rights

Kleenex is going through the same thing now....so they do this:

Kleenex_Do_Not_Erase_Ad (resized).jpgKleenex_Do_Not_Erase_Ad (resized).jpg

Kind of funny but I guess it's what you have to do these days.

#3060 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Sorry, this was not meant as a Cliffy vs. Mantis post. It was a Mantis post + here's how easy the shot is to make with various states of protection I have access to. If Cliffy responded to me when I emailed him to buy his, I'd have included it. Whether or not his protectors are great, he doesn't make it easy to buy them.
But I'm not doing the Android vs. iPhone thing here. The two styles of protectors are much different and they serve totally different preferences. Buy whichever one you prefer. I'm very happy with the way the Mantis version turned out and if I wasn't I would have told Kerry as much.
About the the whole referring to protectors that resemble Cliffys as Cliffys - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator#Loss_of_trademark_rights
Kleenex is going through the same thing now....so they do this:

Kind of funny but I guess it's what you have to do these days.

That is nuts! They have been so successful in marketing the name that people ubiquitously use it to refer to tissues, and they can lose their trademark rights! Hilarious

#3061 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the factory protectors were changed at least once before they went to cliffy.
I have a late game manufactured a week before the cliffy switch and a phone scoop reject is rare.
According to your numbers, my late phone scoop factory protector beats all those easily.

Ditto here. December build and I have no problem with phone scoop rejects with JJP protectors. Both backhand and forehand. If it doesn’t go in, my shot was way off point.

SIM card - completely different story.

#3062 6 years ago

I installed the cliffy on the sim card shot, I think I'm going to hold of on the phone scoop...

Quoted from Insanity199:

Ditto here. December build and I have no problem with phone scoop rejects with JJP protectors. Both backhand and forehand. If it doesn’t go in, my shot was way off point.

SIM card - completely different story.

#3063 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I installed the cliffy on the sim card shot, I think I'm going to hold of on the phone scoop...

I have tried multiple times to order the SIM cliffy but to no avail. He must be so busy as I get no replies. . Anyone install the slightly smaller post runners on the two posts next to SIM hole?

#3064 6 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I have tried multiple times to order the SIM cliffy but to no avail. He must be so busy as I get no replies. . Anyone install the slightly smaller post runners on the two posts next to SIM hole?

Did you email him or just on the site? He generally responds to emails

#3065 6 years ago

So I am going to put my Dialed In! on site soon and was wondering what (if anything) operators have done about explaining about the phone connection. I was thinking a small card with a VR code for the app and then instructions, then put it on the apron. If anyone's done one I'd be interested to see.
I was also thinking of printing out JJP's rules tree and putting it somewhere.

#3066 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did you email him or just on the site? He generally responds to emails

3 emails. Even from two different email addresses. I can try again.

#3067 6 years ago

Yeah I have been trying to get cliffy’s for a few of my games and have got no response as well.

#3068 6 years ago

I think he is extremely busy right now. You will reach him eventually and his protectors are great.

Quoted from venom112:

Yeah I have been trying to get cliffy’s for a few of my games and have got no response as well.

Quoted from Insanity199:

#3069 6 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

So I am going to put my Dialed In! on site soon and was wondering what (if anything) operators have done about explaining about the phone connection. I was thinking a small card with a VR code for the app and then instructions, then put it on the apron. If anyone's done one I'd be interested to see.

Test it first I would say. I could not connect to mine at all until I today put the Bluetooth into the backbox. There is one USB free. Now it does connect, but after playing two games i find it sometimes is laggy and that mostly results in a drain. If I walk like two feet from the machine, the connection is gone (which is rather logical as the Bluetooth is now behind a thick metal plate that holds the monitor).

It is a nice thing to show off, but for me it does not much. I rather play with the machine than with the phone anyways I do think this is a great game by the way, one of the best ever !

#3070 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I think he is extremely busy right now. You will reach him eventually and his protectors are great.

He and I just connected and I got what I needed ordered. There was a bit of a misunderstanding but he and I talked and worked it out. He is very passionate and proud of what he has achieved as he should be. He created the protectors and has the best in the business. Super nice guy and I encourage all people to support him.

#3071 6 years ago

The Mantis looks good! Very interested to see the SIM version. The DI on location here had the protector removed and now it’s way easier to hit that shot directly.

#3072 6 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

We put a little instruction sheet on the left side above the rules on the apron that explained how to connect up. Some people tried it, but most gave up because it's still pretty flaky to connect and work every time. Needs more work.

#3073 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

The Mantis looks good! Very interested to see the SIM version. The DI on location here had the protector removed and now it’s way easier to hit that shot directly.

Doubt there will b a mantis for the sim shot due to the shape

#3074 6 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Damn! He must be swamped

#3075 6 years ago

Just finished installing the backbox lights. Thanks lyonsden for the idea and great instructions. Looks great! I also added some on the bottom. I attached them to the monitor so there was no need to add a quick disconnect.

B5DE5890-C8B5-4E6C-915F-8E8C8747A8E9 (resized).jpegB5DE5890-C8B5-4E6C-915F-8E8C8747A8E9 (resized).jpeg

6B4706F7-7AB0-4DA8-9642-B00D85135A6D (resized).jpeg6B4706F7-7AB0-4DA8-9642-B00D85135A6D (resized).jpeg

#3076 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We put a little instruction sheet on the left side above the rules on the apron that explained how to connect up. Some people tried it, but most gave up because it's still pretty flaky to connect and work every time. Needs more work.

Sounds good - it's been working fine from home and with no flipper lag. I just figure people might want to give it a go at the location even though it's a bit of a gimmick.

#3077 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Just finished installing the backbox lights. Thanks lyonsden for the idea and great instructions. Looks great! I also added some on the bottom. I attached them to the monitor so there was no need to add a quick disconnect.

Looks great! Glad to know the instructions worked well.

#3078 6 years ago

The Mantis phone scoop protector is now shipping.....

$20 - https://mantispinball.com/product/dialed-in-phone-scoop-protector/

#3079 6 years ago

I'm an idiot and can't figure out how one of the Cliffy shooter lane protectors gets installed. Received the set from Cliff a couple of days ago and have all of the protectors installed (they are awesome BTW!) with the exception of the one circled in the photo below. This one goes on the right side side of the shooter lane against the rail. It's got an angle bent into it and a little hook (at the bottom left of the piece in the photo) and I can't seem for the life of me to figure out how it gets positioned. Has anyone installed these on their machine and can describe or show me how it should be positioned? I found an install video online, but of course they only show the piece already installed...

Inked11_LI_Moment (resized).jpgInked11_LI_Moment (resized).jpg

#3080 6 years ago

I am pretty sure it goes on the shooter lane where the ball gets kicked out see if that works.

#3081 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptMonkeyPants:

I'm an idiot and can't figure out how one of the Cliffy shooter lane protectors gets installed. Received the set from Cliff a couple of days ago and have all of the protectors installed (they are awesome BTW!) with the exception of the one circled in the photo below. This one goes on the right side side of the shooter lane against the rail. It's got an angle bent into it and a little hook (at the bottom left of the piece in the photo) and I can't seem for the life of me to figure out how it gets positioned. Has anyone installed these on their machine and can describe or show me how it should be positioned? I found an install video online, but of course they only show the piece already installed...

I had trouble figuring this one out too. This is what I did. The protector ends up getting compressed between the outer wood rail and the playfield. One of the screws goes through the hole in the protector. I am pointing to it and you can see the protector in btween the playfield and wood rail. Just line it up with the left side shooter lane protector to keep the ball balanced in the shooter lane. Good luck.

IMG_2043 (resized).JPGIMG_2043 (resized).JPG

IMG_2045 (resized).JPGIMG_2045 (resized).JPG

#3082 6 years ago
Quoted from chill:

I had trouble figuring this one out too. This is what I did. The protector ends up getting compressed between the outer wood rail and the playfield. One of the screws goes through the hole in the protector. I am pointing to it and you can see the protector in btween the playfield and wood rail. Just line it up with the left side shooter lane protector to keep the ball balanced in the shooter lane. Good luck.

Thanks! I thought about putting it that way, but didn't think it was meant to be compressed under the rail. I guess compressing it keeps it from sliding back or forth under the shooter rail. And the little hook/point on the Cliffy gets embedded in the bottom of the rail to keep that end from moving. Makes sense!

#3083 6 years ago

Yep. I had to loosen three or four screws under the wood rail to get it to lift up enough so I could slide the protector into place. I also had to remove the auto plunger. Nothing too crazy once you see how it's supposed to go in there.

#3084 6 years ago

That shooter lane part on the right side isn’t as satisfying to put in as the other pieces. I’m a bit undecided if I like the protector on the skill shot. It seems to stick up in the front. I’ve had one ball get stuck there so far and no amount of nudging or pushing could knock it free.

#3085 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

The Mantis phone scoop protector is now shipping.....

Holy sh*t. First batch is sold out. Underestimated demand, apparently. He's still taking orders but expect about a week or so before shipment. Also, for anyone asking (myself included) - SIM card hole protector is in development. Shouldn't be more than a month out.

#3086 6 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

That shooter lane part on the right side isn’t as satisfying to put in as the other pieces. I’m a bit undecided if I like the protector on the skill shot. It seems to stick up in the front. I’ve had one ball get stuck there so far and no amount of nudging or pushing could knock it free.

I hear ya. I removed my skill shot protector after a couple of weeks for that exact reason - too many stuck balls. I figure it's not at high risk for wear anyway.

#3087 6 years ago

I made an install video of installing Cliffys on a Dialed In Pinball Machine. Fast forward to 14:16 of the video to see the Cliffys shooter lane install.

#3088 6 years ago

Have over 1200 plays on my dile... i didnt add the shooter lane cliffys and have no damage at all. Not needed imo

#3089 6 years ago

Complete waste

#3090 6 years ago

Thanks! I thought about putting it that way, but didn't think it was meant to be compressed under the rail. I guess compressing it keeps it from sliding back or forth under the shooter rail. And the little hook/point on the Cliffy gets embedded in the bottom of the rail to keep that end from moving. Makes sense!

It is meant to be compressed under the rail, but you MUST use a clamp on the black rail to hold the protector in place while you tighten the two screws or the installation will fail and the rail will slide out of place over time. The clamp during install is KEY to it staying put. Although in pictures 3 out of 4 are installed wrong and have moved as a result, so you wouldn't be alone...

#3091 6 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Holy sh*t. First batch is sold out. Underestimated demand, apparently. He's still taking orders but expect about a week or so before shipment. Also, for anyone asking (myself included) - SIM card hole protector is in development. Shouldn't be more than a month out.

Mantis for the SIM is a must have IMO. Looking forward to that.

#3092 6 years ago

I just received the new JJP factory Cliffy's free of charge from the factory. Great service!!

So planning on installing these tonight on my machine.

Now seeing this mantis option. What's the difference? Why would I pick one over the other? Confused.

#3093 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I just received the new JJP factory Cliffy's free of charge from the factory. Great service!!
So planning on installing these tonight on my machine.
Now seeing this mantis option. What's the difference? Why would I pick one over the other? Confused.

I'm confused about mantis too, never owned a machine with one and why protect the inside of the hole?

#3094 6 years ago

I somewhat solved my theater magnet/straight down the middle issue by giving myself more tilt warnings and dropping the tilt bob down as low as it will go.

#3095 6 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I somewhat solved my theater magnet/straight down the middle issue by giving myself more tilt warnings and dropping the tilt bob down as low as it will go.

I did the same. Finally broke the 1.5 million point barrier. Hopping to get my first Armegeddon soon.

#3096 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I'm confused about mantis too, never owned a machine with one and why protect the inside of the hole

A lot of scoop/hole damage starts from the inside of the hole and works its way to the top. The Dialed In phone scoop fits this criteria. The damage to the hole is caused by the ball striking the inside right portion of the hole. Both the Cliffy's and the Mantis protectors will protect the hole; it's a matter of preference. Cliffy's are easier to install but thinner and will look damaged/worn over time, Mantis protectors are more robust and attach to the underside of the playfield, but as a result take more time to install.

Me personally, and this is just my opinion, Cliffy's are ideal and the only real choice if the hole already shows wear/damage. For example, the ST:TNG neutral zone - a Cliffy is really the best choice there. But for a new game, Cliffy's to me don't make sense. You're covering over an area you want to protect but with the Cliffy there you will never ever see that area you protecting, so what's the point then? Just my opinion but I'd never keep a Cliffy anywhere on a new game if there is alternate protection available that does the same job without covering the playfield - and that could be something as simple as mylar. Hope that explains it a little.

#3097 6 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I'm confused about mantis too, never owned a machine with one and why protect the inside of the hole?

Because it keeps the edges from getting ground out from repeated ball traffic. On older games with no protection, you often see like a half ellipse ground into the edge of the hole from traffic over time. But really, on newer pins, I'm in the "protect the top and sides" camp because the playfield clear on many, MANY of the new releases has been shown to be so chip-able. So that puts me in the Cliffy camp for most applications. It's incredible that JJP is actually shipping real Cliffies installed from the factory now on Dialed In. Industry-leading stuff there. They deserve props, for sure.

#3098 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Because it keeps the edges from getting ground out from repeated ball traffic. On older games with no protection, you often see like a half ellipse ground into the edge of the hole from traffic over time. But really, on newer pins, I'm in the "protect the top and sides" camp because the playfield clear on many, MANY of the new releases has been shown to be so chip-able. So that puts me in the Cliffy camp for most applications. It's incredible that JJP is actually shipping real Cliffies installed from the factory now on Dialed In. Industry-leading stuff there. They deserve props, for sure.

They are also shipping cliffies to all owners free of charge for the phone and sim scoop.

I just installed the phone scoop and it’s night and day easier to hit. Took a full hour.

Now to do the sim.

#3099 6 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Took a full hour.

Yes, good call. For DI, the Cliffy's are free so that's an incentive to go that route. But it really took an hour to install? I thought the Mantis would be more difficult because you have to remove the phone scoop under the playfield, but it only took 10 mins. What do you have to remove to install the phone Cliffy?

#3100 6 years ago

I've had my DILE since last July. As of today when QED is all the way to the right, it is now blocking the ball on the wireform ramp. Anyone know what the solution is?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

There are 13,630 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/62 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.