IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 273.
#11701 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

My game is not recognizing the ball once shot into the phone scoop. It appears this is an opto switch. I haven't really been under the hood of this game much. On a second note, when I got under there I was getting a strong electrical smell. Not sure if there is any relation here, but I doubt it. Any tips on fixing the opto?
Thanks

First off go through the switch menu to make sure they are not showing as broken, then make sure the sensors are properly in their holders and that they are plugged in.

#11702 3 years ago

Here is a picture of the matrix. Got some strange stuff going on. Shows the left loop made and theatre enter as bad. The phone scoop doesn't show as bad, but during game play it doesn't recognize a ball in the scoop and won't eject until a it does a ball search. When I break the opto plane in switch test, it does not register. Something else strange now. Anytime I boot the game or open and then close the coin door, the phone scoop coil fires about six times. Never did this before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

IMG_7589 (resized).JPGIMG_7589 (resized).JPG

#11703 3 years ago

Well the phone scoop is probably firing because the game thinks that there is a ball there. The phone scoop opto is solid green when it should not be on your matrix. BOTH moving target home and away are green and that shouldn't be. Your problem is probably with the right opto control board
See attachment = check the power and switch connectors there.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 223312 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-02-03 223312 (resized).png
#11704 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Well the phone scoop is probably firing because the game thinks that there is a ball there. The phone scoop opto is solid green when it should not be on your matrix. BOTH moving target home and away are green and that shouldn't be. Your problem is probably with the right opto control board
See attachment = check the power and switch connectors there. [quoted image]

I reset all the connectors on the right opto board. I have 5v coming in from the power connect. Repowered the game and now I am getting three new switch errors on the left board that I didn't even touch. What is going on?

IMG_7593 (resized).JPGIMG_7593 (resized).JPG
#11705 3 years ago

Check those optos to see if they actually work. Break the beams by hand one by one. Red flagging like that doesn't mean they are actually bad.

#11706 3 years ago

OK, the three new ones have cleared once I tripped them. So, does it appear I need a new right opto board?

#11707 3 years ago

It's possible yes. If you are certain power is getting there. One way to make it pretty much certain would be to flip flop the two opto control boards as they are identical.

#11708 3 years ago

Yeah flip-flop and zero in. You might even be able to fix the board could be something obvious to like reseating connectors.

In other news, I re-dialed in my dialed in last night. For some stupid reason I had decreased the steepness of the playfield from 6.5 to what turns out to be about 5.5 which is the second lowest line on the bubble. I thought that was the correct setting based on the manual but the game just played floaty and slow. Moved it back and it’s super fast and back to amazing.

Question though. And I think this is probably a good thing. A ball dropping from the theater magnet is now dropping dead straight into the left flipper. No curve just a vertical drop as though it’s lined up there. Yet the ball doesn’t seem to have a lot of curvy right to left bias on the play field. I think my back right leg is a bit higher and offset by a lower front right leg. Not complaining, a bit surprised and I think I like it. But curious to know how you guys are all set up. My boy used to hate the straight down the middle drains.

#11709 3 years ago

Opened my NIB just a few weeks ago.
Wow. What a great game. Loving it way more than I thought I would. Bought DP around the same time, but DI gets more play at the moment.

It's my first JJP, so flippers took a bit of getting used to.

#11710 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I reset all the connectors on the right opto board. I have 5v coming in from the power connect. Repowered the game and now I am getting three new switch errors on the left board that I didn't even touch. What is going on?[quoted image]

Quoted from fossmin:

I reset all the connectors on the right opto board. I have 5v coming in from the power connect. Repowered the game and now I am getting three new switch errors on the left board that I didn't even touch. What is going on?[quoted image]

I had a similar problem with the opto’s on my Hobbit. I tried all sorts to the point I was going to start replacing the opto switches etc but instead I took the opto board out and reflowed it with a hot soldering iron and fresh solder on all the joints and it’s been fine ever since. Same went for a faulty ball trough assembly opto board on my DI, I didn’t dare to hope it would solve either fault but it it did. Good luck

#11711 3 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Opened my NIB just a few weeks ago.
Wow. What a great game. Loving it way more than I thought I would. Bought DP around the same time, but DI gets more play at the moment.
It's my first JJP, so flippers took a bit of getting used to.

DI has a different flipper feel than other JJPs, my WOZ has far more brutal flippers who slap the ball. DI flippers feel more like the rest of the game, smooth as butter and aimed at being a part of the flow.

#11712 3 years ago

So I flipped the boards as suggested and now I am getting these errors. What is strange is the phone scoop will register in the switch test, but doesn't recognize the ball during game play.

DI-2 (resized).JPGDI-2 (resized).JPG
#11713 3 years ago

I'm looking for a pic of the Smartphone Assembly from the side.

In my setup, it is mounted on the front most 2 screws. I'm wondering if that's typical. I was only able to find 1 pictures showing this and, in that picture, the mounting used the back 2 screws. Here's a pic. Sorry for the over exposure.

IMG_4302 (resized).JPGIMG_4302 (resized).JPG

#11714 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I'm looking for a pic of the Smartphone Assembly from the side.
In my setup, it is mounted on the front most 2 screws. I'm wondering if that's typical. I was only able to find 1 pictures showing this and, in that picture, the mounting used the back 2 screws. Here's a pic. Sorry for the over exposure.
[quoted image]

Back 2 on mine. My front screw has a flat top and you wouldn’t be able to attach a nut to it. I haven’t touched mine since it came from the factory.

9EA2D5CE-6AAD-496F-96D2-E074BEEE431D (resized).jpeg9EA2D5CE-6AAD-496F-96D2-E074BEEE431D (resized).jpeg

#11715 3 years ago

From the factory. My phone has never been removed.

20210212_175737 (Large) (resized).jpg20210212_175737 (Large) (resized).jpg

#11716 3 years ago

Hi everyone, I picked up a new to me LE today - love this game!

I've got 3 issues and I'm wondering if others have the same (I've only read through 10 pages of this thread so far):

1. the ball gets stuck a lot - on the switch behind the bumpers, in the groove that the electric guy travels in, etc. Could the balls be magnetized? If so, how would I fix that?

2. My right flippers don't always work well- they lose power sometime, and the the upper flipper only works if I press the flipper button hard. Also, when the shaker motor kicks on, the right flipper shakes like it's having a seizure and it loses a lot of its power.

3. last - the phone scoop shoots SDTM at least half the time. I've tried dialing the power up and down and that hasn't made much difference.

This is a HUO machine without a lot of plays on it so I'm wondering if there are some adjustments I need to make.

Thanks!

#11717 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Back 2 on mine. My front screw has a flat top and you wouldn’t be able to attach a nut to it. I haven’t touched mine since it came from the factory.
[quoted image]

Quoted from mikepmcs:

From the factory. My phone has never been removed.
[quoted image]

Thank you both for the pics.

I'm wondering... when you shoot the Smartphone hole, does your phone always shake a lot? Trying to determine if the position both of you show causes more or less shaking of the phone.

#11718 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

I've got 3 issues and I'm wondering if others have the same (I've only read through 10 pages of this thread so far):
1. the ball gets stuck a lot - on the switch behind the bumpers, in the groove that the electric guy travels in, etc. Could the balls be magnetized? If so, how would I fix that?
2. My right flippers don't always work well- they lose power sometime, and the the upper flipper only works if I press the flipper button hard. Also, when the shaker motor kicks on, the right flipper shakes like it's having a seizure and it loses a lot of its power.
3. last - the phone scoop shoots SDTM at least half the time. I've tried dialing the power up and down and that hasn't made much difference.
This is a HUO machine without a lot of plays on it so I'm wondering if there are some adjustments I need to make.
Thanks!

1: I don't think magnetised balls are the problem. Check the leaf on the switch behind the pop bumpers. It should make contact but do not trap the balls. You can bent it carefully. The qed guy can trap the ball in rare cases. A playfield protector will make it worse a lot. You can check the balls on sticking them together. If magnetised, they will build a line and stuck on each other.

2: check the leaf switches on your right flipper button. You can bend the switches carefully to work properly.

3: the scoop should kick the balls to the right flipper. Powering down the coil power should make a difference. Check the playfield to be leveled and between 6.5 to 7 degree pitch. If necessary, adjust the legs.

#11719 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Thank you both for the pics.
I'm wondering... when you shoot the Smartphone hole, does your phone always shake a lot? Trying to determine if the position both of you show causes more or less shaking of the phone.

I don't think so. At least, I’ve never noticed a lot of shake.

My guess is that someone removed your phone once and forgot to take pictures of how it was set up so accidentally reattached it on the first two screws.

#11720 3 years ago

Thanks!

</blockquote

#11721 3 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

1: I don't think magnetised balls are the problem.

Maybe not, but my balls get stuck quite often on switches if the ball is traveling slowly, and also on the QED guy's leg. Ball hits the channel he's in, and then sticks to his leg. I have to wait for the ball finder routine to send the QED guy over to the train ramp to knock the ball loose.

#11722 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

1. the ball gets stuck a lot - on the switch behind the bumpers

does that area have the Cliffy protector installed? That can cause stuck balls.

#11723 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Maybe not, but my balls get stuck quite often on switches if the ball is traveling slowly, and also on the QED guy's leg. Ball hits the channel he's in, and then sticks to his leg. I have to wait for the ball finder routine to send the QED guy over to the train ramp to knock the ball loose.

You might want to tilt the playfield a bit more. Mine was set where JJP recommends and the ball kept being stuck on the QED guy. I added half a bubble more and that's all it took

For the phone scoop try to lower the coil power a bit, I still can't get it to shoot the right flipper but at least it doesn't go stdm.

#11724 3 years ago

Good suggestions, I'll try both. I did already lower the phone scoop a bit but maybe more. It's still going SDTM 30% of the time.

#11725 3 years ago

HELP PLEASE....Hello, when I shoot the left orbit (loop) the ball is frequently falling down into the cabinet...I didn't see any obvious issue....any suggestions for this Noob?....Thanks in advance.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11726 3 years ago
Quoted from MajorDrainer:

.I didn't see any obvious issue....any suggestions for this Noob?...

Blue steel flap broken off of the trap door ?

Search the picture gallery on this thread to plug the hole at the end of the trap door assembly subway.

LTG : )

#11727 3 years ago
Quoted from MajorDrainer:

HELP PLEASE....Hello, when I shoot the left orbit (loop) the ball is frequently falling down into the cabinet...I didn't see any obvious issue....any suggestions for this Noob?....Thanks in advance.

Quoted from LTG:

Search the picture gallery on this thread to plug the hole at the end of the trap door assembly subway.

I'm gonna jump in with an assist on this one because I happen to be perusing the site.

Start here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/105#post-4562448

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/105#post-4565687

That's where the issue will be resolved either by plugging, as Lloyd says, or manipulation of the metal.

more:
Clip was made for it in this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/181#post-5191590
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/181#post-5195393

r/
Mike

#11728 3 years ago

A year after getting some parts from Aliexpress (and waiting 2 month for them to arrive), I finally got around to repairing 2 of my drones. Yeah, I know the drones don't have a huge impact anymore but I still want everything working.

Here's a pic of one of the drones during surgery.

IMG_4322 (resized).JPGIMG_4322 (resized).JPG

#11729 3 years ago

Following up my drone repair post from a few above...

There's a lot of talk about 1.73 not using the drones too much. Some people say they are hardly used at all.

Since I've repaired my drones, I'm not sure I agree. They seem to spin at a pretty good rate!

I setup a (not great quality) camera and videoed 1m 30 seconds of a game with focus only on the drones. Nothing special going on, just hit start and played 1 ball. In that 1m 30s I counted the drones spinning 7 times.

Check it out for yourself...

When people say the drones aren't used very much, is this what you are seeing?

#11730 3 years ago

my drones spin fine in test but never during a game (although I tried activating them with the glass off and they were spinning just fine).

#11731 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

my drones spin fine in test but never during a game (although I tried activating them with the glass off and they were spinning just fine).

Same here, I very rarely see them spin but in test they work perfectly.

@aaltan What did you repair on them ?

#11732 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Same here, I very rarely see them spin but in test they work perfectly.
@aaltan What did you repair on them ?

I identified the individual motors that were causing the current not to flow and replaced those motors. As you may already know, you can identify the bad motors by manually spinning the propellers and, if the other 3 start spinning, then that motor is likely bad.

I've got a bit more info about it and pictures on my web site (https://aaarpinball.com/DialedIn/DI.htm)

#11733 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I've got a bit more info about it and pictures on my web site (https://aaarpinball.com/DialedIn/DI.htm)

Amazing website! Love the other games in your index. I have very similar taste and learned a lot browsing through Funhouse, Roadshow, Getaway, T2 etc. thanks for posting

#11734 3 years ago

Are the audits supposed to keep historical records from 1st boot unless reset? Mine appear to only capture recent games (the game is new to me and I have not reset anything). If I go into another page (can't recall which, but it shows game data for every game played) I can see details about many more games than are shown in the audits.

#11735 3 years ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Are the audits supposed to keep historical records from 1st boot unless reset? Mine appear to only capture recent games (the game is new to me and I have not reset anything). If I go into another page (can't recall which, but it shows game data for every game played) I can see details about many more games than are shown in the audits.

I’m totally guessing but maybe having a dead battery for a period of time?!

#11736 3 years ago

Maybe. The game is new to me so I don't know if the battery has been changed. Guess I should go through that process soon.

#11737 3 years ago
Quoted from mrofnoc:

I get a ball stuck on the wireform above the shooter lane a lot. A chase ball will knock it off, but the game will never send one. Chase ball is on and says it will send after 4 searches. Anyone else or just mine?

Mine as well... has anyone had any luck with this issue?

#11738 3 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I identified the individual motors that were causing the current not to flow and replaced those motors. As you may already know, you can identify the bad motors by manually spinning the propellers and, if the other 3 start spinning, then that motor is likely bad.

Thank you ! That's a great source of info, I bookmarked it

#11739 3 years ago

Thanks for the links. Just got my part from Pinball Charlie and so far so good.

#11740 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thanks for the info. I got part from Pinball Charlie.

#11741 3 years ago

Any of you have BOTH the new GNR and DI? Or did you part with a DI and have a GNR? Curious to know if I would regret the switch? I can only have three machines... 1 is a STTNG (never leaving), JP, and DI... but super intrigued by the GNR experience. I hear though there aren't any satisfying shots, and DI has plenty of those... DI is tops in my book. The JP dinosaurs though... and t-rex... hmmm.... damn.

Thoughts to fellow DI fans? Would I regret the decision to sell DI for a GNR or do I full send and sell the DI and get a GNR?

#11742 3 years ago

I’d sell JP before DI..

#11743 3 years ago

My phone LCD went out mid game last night. I checked all the connections and everything looks good. When the machine boots up the blue screen comes on and I see AV1, then it goes dark the rest of the game. It seems the monitor is fine, but not getting the signal. I’ve read in the thread that the dvi cable sometimes goes bad and the ribbon cable that goes to the dvi output in the back box goes bad. I wondering if anyone had a similar experience and what their solution was? Thank much for any help!

#11744 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

Any of you have BOTH the new GNR and DI? Or did you part with a DI and have a GNR? Curious to know if I would regret the switch? I can only have three machines... 1 is a STTNG (never leaving), JP, and DI... but super intrigued by the GNR experience. I hear though there aren't any satisfying shots, and DI has plenty of those... DI is tops in my book. The JP dinosaurs though... and t-rex... hmmm.... damn.
Thoughts to fellow DI fans? Would I regret the decision to sell DI for a GNR or do I full send and sell the DI and get a GNR?

I sold my TSPP the day JJP revealed GNR, I was in to buy one. I started watching a bunch of gameplay videos and realized the multiball madness wasn't for me so I bought a DI and I don't regret it one second.

#11745 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I have both, actually got DI after GnR. I also have JP. I don’t know much about STTNG, but sounds like you’re set on keeping that. GnR isn’t just a pinball machine it’s really something special. DI is new to me so loving it and I’m on a bit of a Lawlor bender (have a Wonka, TZ, TAF also), but again GnR is on another level. I do agree with another poster that at this stage is get rid of JP before DI. Or the better concept is to make more room

#11746 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I have both. Before GNR I would have rated Dialed In as my favorite pin (over Alien, MMr, TZ, TNA, several others). I was lucky enough to get one of the first GNR LE’s off the line in October. Has been the only pin I’ve played since. Talk of “no flow” or “no satisfying shots” on GNR is IMO ridiculous. The center spinner, ramps, and orbits flow beautifully. And the experience is truly beyond.

I LOVE Lawlor and think DI is his masterpiece. That right orbit to ramp return is a thing of beauty. And: unlike many, I always kept factory settings on SIM card. The handful of times I’ve completed both wizards have been super fulfilling.

But: GNR is something else. Full disclosure: I was born in ‘76 and am a definite fan (remember getting UYI II on release day; couldn’t afford both). Your mileage may vary slightly based on your fandom. But: I think the gameplay, sound, lights, immersion make it universal. It’s the only pin my teen and tweenage girls will play, and they have 0.0 connection to the music.

By comparison, have not played Dialed In a single time during quarantine. I still truly love the game, but: has been gathering dust.

b

#11747 3 years ago

This is all great feedback! Keep the DI and sell the JP. Love the JP and not even close to tiring on it... hopefully Jersey jack is smart and keeps up the LE production for a good while.

#11748 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

This is all great feedback! Keep the DI and sell the JP. Love the JP and not even close to tiring on it... hopefully Jersey jack is smart and keeps up the LE production for a good while.

There's a backorder of 3000 to b made so they will be at it for sometine....

#11749 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I have both and neither will leave any time soon. I know you said STTNG is never leaving, but in my book that is the one I would let go by far. It's fairly common and I see it for sale often. If you missed it that much you could replace it easily, unless your particular example has some sentimental value.

#11750 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I have both and neither will leave any time soon. I know you said STTNG is never leaving, but in my book that is the one I would let go by far. It's fairly common and I see it for sale often. If you missed it that much you could replace it easily, unless your particular example has some sentimental value.

I have DI SE, TWD Pro, TMNT Pro, ST Prem, and TSSP. TSSP would easily be the 1st to go, and I had a STTNG for all of about 2 months before it had to go. When I picked up TMNT Pro I also played Stranger Things Prem, JP Prem, Avengers LE, and LZ Pro. TMNT Pro stood out as the most fun of that lot for me. Haven't played GnR but looking forward to the experience! JJP games absolutely have that something extra and then some and I could easily have their games exclusively if I had the dough.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 235 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/235 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.