IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 273.
#11151 3 years ago

This is a pretty damned good deal. $50 + $3 shipping to Canada! Bought an extra set. May as well, for this price!

jjpplastics (resized).jpgjjpplastics (resized).jpg

#11152 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Welcome Mr. Noob - If you are familiar with the WMS game The Shadow, the sanctum ball lock at the top center has a magnet that behaves the same way. The magnet catches the ball, pauses, briefly releases the ball and then engages the magnet again quickly so that the ball flings around and up to the right corner and around and down depending on how clean the fling was; therefore you want to go in to TESTS - DEVICE TESTS - THEATER and look at your setting. The number represents the "delay" if you will - how long is the pause prior to the fling. You can play with the numbers until you get yours just right. I think mine is at -90.
Now be aware - the magnet is NOT always supposed to fling the ball. This confuses people into believing that a perfectly functioning magnet is messed up. The best example is EMP STRIKE disaster mode. The magnet is designed to catch - hold - release and drop the ball back to the center flippers. NOTE: Later software updates - be SURE to run 1.73 if you can that is the latest - saw Ted and the guys change the timing of the moving QED man so that he can deflect a ball headed SDTM from one of these magnet drops. It does not ALWAYS do it but it works fairly well. Another example - say the drone mystery package collect is lit on the small theater monitor. Well at that time, depending on whatever other chaos the game is dealing with, the game wants to display the animation in the theater for whatever you collected. Thus the hold time is longer. And if multiball or something else is happening, the fling may get delayed OR - let's say you happen to also have the virtual inline drop targets running or the train bash where the animation shows the ball trying to bash through the subway doors (you get the idea), there may not ever be a fling or the other steel balls may crash through and knock the ball just off the magnet and then center drain warning. So this game, which is centered on chaos, is, believe it or not, often chaotic. The magnet behavior becomes intuitive after you play the game for awhile. The best example I can come up with is the center ramp bank door on Pat Lawlor's game Monopoly. The bank door basically has four little optos shining through a clear insert to the hood above the door mechanism. When the door partially opened from a fast ball strike or a mistimed hit where the door wanted to open or close but the pinball got there, the door would occasionally hang out in the nebula, not quite closed but certainly not open so you could make the ramp shot. I couldn't tell customers exactly when the door would correct itself or do a quick open close open to get itself into position but on my game at home it became intuitive like I mentioned exactly when the game would do whatever it would do. You just knew it as a player but could not have written it down.
So that's the center magnet. The animations are top notch too in the theater monitor. Granted I am somewhat biased.
The flipper rubbers are the red ones you mentioned.
Pitch is an individual feel thing to me but Mr. Lawlor recommends that the tip of the bubble just kiss the second line on the bubble level mounted on the game. Side to side lean is exceedingly important on DI (and most games) so get your torpedo level and get it right.
Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for this. I didn't even know it was supposed to do "the shadow" fling. Now I have that feature!

#11153 3 years ago

Is my crazy bob sign in the stock position? And is the small sign to the left a mod or a stock plastic? Thanks!

E5FDA3A9-6A68-49E1-958C-CDB37D6CD9B8 (resized).jpegE5FDA3A9-6A68-49E1-958C-CDB37D6CD9B8 (resized).jpeg

#11154 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Is my crazy bob sign in the stock position? And is the small sign to the left a mod or a stock plastic? Thanks!
[quoted image]

No. Someone split up the sign and moved both sections to face the player. Some people do this to better see the sign.

#11155 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

No. Someone split up the sign and moved both sections to face the player. Some people do this to better see the sign.

Gotcha, thanks!

#11156 3 years ago

Does anyone have a pic of where the bob signs are screwed in

#11157 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

This is a pretty damned good deal. $50 + $3 shipping to Canada! Bought an extra set. May as well, for this price!
[quoted image]

Thanks for this, I plan on keeping the game a really long time so this makes sense to have a back up. Also the manual was only $40 and one of the previous two owners much have kept it. $95 shipped for both seems great to me. thanks for sharing!

#11158 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

You should be able to look on that area and see screw holes. Bob sign with the leds to the left and the non lit sign at a 90 degree angle to the right of it

#11159 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

JJP website says included with LE. Check with JJP.
LTG : )

This is what I did and they mailed it right to me

#11160 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Hope these help.

DSC00373 (resized).JPGDSC00373 (resized).JPGDSC00374 (resized).JPGDSC00374 (resized).JPG
#11161 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

That would also be "Pfusch", as you say in german.

I like it! Just for the sake of argument, couldn’t one make the statement that soldering an smd fuse onto a board is in and of itself “Pfusch”? Seems to me it kind of defeats the purpose if the board will most likely be replaced if the fuse blows.

However, I had not previously been aware of the existence of such fuses, so it’s good to know. I fear if I’m going to continue with newer games I’m going to have to get into smds, reflow stations and the whole subject.

#11162 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I like it! Just for the sake of argument, couldn’t one make the statement that soldering an smd fuse onto a board is in and of itself “Pfusch”? Seems to me it kind of defeats the purpose if the board will most likely be replaced if the fuse blows.

Well, in my personal opinion: Yes and no. From a technical standpoint, I think it's a nice solution to put a fuse on most of the boards that use 4V for the LEDs (RGB LED Boards). In the (rare!) case that something is wrong with the LED wiring, it trips only the fuse of the problematic board, not the whole LED power. This keeps the game mostly operational, which is important if you have it on route. Also LEDs don't need much current and may stay on for a longer period of time, so it would probably be hard to specify a fuse value for a central point on the power supply, as they do with all the coil voltages.
Now you might argue: "Well, OK, they could not do a central, glass fuse. Why the SMD fuses on all the boards and not glass?" Well, it's harder and therefor way more expensive to produce boards with oddball components like fuse holders with glass fuses because of how the process works. I assume they were sure enough that these fuses would not fail very often, so the engineering decision was made: SMD fuse. I don't think they were planning on selling more replacement boards by design, because it's not where you make money, your customers will be frustrated and it harms the image of the company.

Quoted from branlon8:

However, I had not previously been aware of the existence of such fuses, so it’s good to know. I fear if I’m going to continue with newer games I’m going to have to get into smds, reflow stations and the whole subject.

It's not as complicated as it might seem, given the right tools and some "Fingerspitzengefühl". I like your attitude, many people in pinball just refuse to work with SMD technology alltogether and want the old days of THT back. Well it's over, folks. It was probably the same situation when they transitioned from EM games to SS games. Old techs would have been like "Nah, no way to repair those modern machines anymore!". I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion lots of times. The real problem I see with newer machines is not the SMD technology itself, but that some of the components are programmed chips, that can not just be replaced, even if you have the component. They need to be re-programmed. And there's where your soldering skills end and more servere problems start.
But I don't wanna sound too pessimistic here. Embrace SMD technology, get yourself a good soldering iron for cheap (For example the great TS-80), some thin solder, some flux, go practice on some trash boards and you will see that in SMD, two pin components like resistors, capacitors, diodes or fuses are actually easier to replace than THT, with less stress for the board itself.

Have a good weekend y'all!

#11163 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

But I don't wanna sound too pessimistic here. Embrace SMD technology, get yourself a good soldering iron for cheap (For example the great TS-80), some thin solder, some flux, go practice on some trash boards and you will see that in SMD, two pin components like resistors, capacitors, diodes or fuses are actually easier to replace than THT, with less stress for the board itself.
Have a good weekend y'all!

I’ve just finally gotten ok at through hole soldering, but I can’t seem to desolder to save my life. I’ve been watching videos on SMD soldering, and it looks doable if you have the right equipment. One of these days I’m going to get myself a microscope for it. I’m worried that my hands aren’t steady enough, but I guess we’ll see. From the videos, it doesn’t seem as bad as everyone said. Reading pinside, you would think only a handful of people in the world have the capability to do it, but I don’t think that’s true in reality.

#11164 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

[quoted image]

Ordered that, too. I think the plastics never won’t be that cheap again...

#11165 3 years ago

Ok new issue today. Have this issue with one of the leds. Any advice? Red lights up fine. Got her on Tuesday.

10EDFAEA-2EA0-4771-9945-7A2AA9266BB4 (resized).jpeg10EDFAEA-2EA0-4771-9945-7A2AA9266BB4 (resized).jpeg87AF645E-D2CC-4555-95D3-20D9A188F313 (resized).jpeg87AF645E-D2CC-4555-95D3-20D9A188F313 (resized).jpeg

#11166 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Ok new issue today. Have this issue with one of the leds. Any advice? White lights up fine. Got her on Tuesday.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Missing a color
Walk through all led test color by color you’ll be missing blue I think

#11167 3 years ago

Missing a color
Walk through all led test color by color you’ll be missing blue I think

Missing green and white is kinda pink. Ran through the test. Blue is working. What do I do?

#11168 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Missing green and white is kinda pink. Ran through the test. Blue is working. What do I do?

White is not a color per se with rgb LEDs what the game does to try to make white is crank all three colors to max
So you’re missing green. How long have you had the game ?

#11169 3 years ago

White is not a color per se with rgb LEDs what the game does to try to make white is crank all three colors to max
So you’re missing green. How long have you had the game ?

5 days.

#11171 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

My guess would be a bad solder joint on resistor R124 on the Flipper Area RGB Board or a failed R124. Had that before on one of my RGB LEDs. Second guess would be a bad solder joint on LED RGB110.

#11172 3 years ago

I have a similar issue with two of the Bob target insert LEDs. Both LED's have very weak RED (RED is still showing during the test, but much weaker than usual). As a consequence, during attract mode both BOB inserts light up LIGHT BLUE when all other LEDs in the game are WHITE.
It's not really reason for me to open up the game and find out what's going on, but I hope no other RGB LEDs are about to deteriorate...

#11173 3 years ago
Quoted from edelhert:

I have a similar issue with two of the Bob target insert LEDs. Both LED's have very weak RED (RED is still showing during the test, but much weaker than usual). As a consequence, during attract mode both BOB inserts light up LIGHT BLUE when all other LEDs in the game are WHITE.
It's not really reason for me to open up the game and find out what's going on, but I hope no other RGB LEDs are about to deteriorate...

Well this can’t go without being said, Steve has given me UNREAL support from JJP!! I mean UNREAL! He saw that post, we emailed back and forth and at almost 1AM EST, he had gone into my service ticket and gotten the right part added and getting it shipped out soon! The man is unreal and with that type of service, I’m super confident in JJP!

#11174 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Well this can’t go without being said, Steve has given me UNREAL support from JJP!! I mean UNREAL! He saw that post, we emailed back and forth and at almost 1AM EST, he had gone into my service ticket and gotten the right part added and getting it shipped out soon! The man is unreal and with that type of service, I’m super confident in JJP!

Thanks for your reply. So, I have submitted a ticket. Let's see what will happen!

#11175 3 years ago
Quoted from edelhert:

Maybe harness pinched on something shorting out around QED guy

#11176 3 years ago

I also just got my NIB DI. Everything is great but the white noise from the speakers was bothering me. I opened a ticket and within a very short time it was answered and a filter is on its way to me. So far I am also very impressed with JJP support.

#11177 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Thanks but in actuality it could very easily have gone without being said. I’m not into self aggrandizing or shilling - well I am but not right now - but we finally have 4 fantastic tech support people after a long (you have NO idea) stretch where it was just 2 or whatever. Well three awesome guys and Barry (hi boss!!). Kidding of course. You guys know Lloyd and me and some know Barry and many know Ken from the NJ factory who is back on the bridge where he belongs. We ride together at last. That’s us - so what - but Four weeks ago I got my first tour of Elk Grove the new factory and spent a week as I always do at the start of new game production. l Learn and work the line and take a game home to use for tech support - you all know the drill - so every time it’s been in Lakewood where I’m from but this time it was green leaf ave of course. All I can say is that the ownership group has more awards on its shelves than I have shelves. The money they invested and then holy crow the talent and sheer strength of the people in that building my word. I like being a very small cog but now I’m in a whole different machine. Poised for something that’s what JJP is, on the cusp of the brink of the leading edge of never ending run-on sentences. We are at least that any way.
So thanks I try hard. Lloyd and those around me are aces you all know that much. Going forward I am STOKED. Steve

#11178 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

My guess would be a bad solder joint on resistor R124 on the Flipper Area RGB Board or a failed R124. Had that before on one of my RGB LEDs. Second guess would be a bad solder joint on LED RGB110.

I am so not handy. It was one of my hesitations I’m getting a pin. I read everyone on here just fixing stuff left and right and I’m a bit concerned that I will be out of my element.

#11179 3 years ago

Anyone else grab a spare set of plastics for $50 off the JJP website?

#11180 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Anyone else grab a spare set of plastics for $50 off the JJP website?

Yes, I did. Very good price and nice to have a back up.

#11181 3 years ago

Any recommended target decals for this game?

#11182 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

I am so not handy. It was one of my hesitations I’m getting a pin. I read everyone on here just fixing stuff left and right and I’m a bit concerned that I will be out of my element.

You will be handy soon.

#11183 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Yes, I did. Very good price and nice to have a back up.

I grabbed a set too.

#11184 3 years ago

What determines when the upper playfield diverter drops down?

#11185 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Balls magnetized and sticking in the ball trough ?
Plunger that kicks the ball up to the shooter lane sticking up a billionth of an inch too high and not letting balls roll into place ? ( It is adjustable, four screws hold coil/plunger bracket to end of ball trough, can be loosened and raised or lowered. Don't go too far either direction )

Do you have a picture of this? I’m using super shinys and think this is what’s happened to me. Have to hit the flippers several times to get the balls to drop in and register but it happens like once in 30 games.

#11186 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

Do you have a picture of this?

Page C-20 in the manual is the ball trough. Item #10 is the four screws you can loosen to slip the coil/plunger/bracket up or down. Just a tiny bit. Not too far up or down.

You can download the manual from jerseyjackpinball.com under Support under Downloads under Dialed In, if you need it.

#11187 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I think it's down on every second mode? At least it's always down on the second mode as far as I remember. And then there's also the Monkey Wrench Multiball (one of the three BOB multiballs) where the diverter goes up and down all the time and you have to time your shot to get past it.

#11188 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Also ball lock I believe.

#11189 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

I think it's down on every second mode? At least it's always down on the second mode as far as I remember. And then there's also the Monkey Wrench Multiball (one of the three BOB multiballs) where the diverter goes up and down all the time and you have to time your shot to get past it.

It doesn’t have to do with the second mode. It is down when lock is lit. Lock is first lit after you complete the first mode. However, if you lock the ball, the diverter will go back up.

It is also down on certain modes like acid rain and as stated MW MB when it goes up and down.

#11190 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

It doesn’t have to do with the second mode. It is down when lock is lit. Lock is first lit after you complete the first mode. However, if you lock the ball, the diverter will go back up.
It is also down on certain modes like acid rain and as stated MW MB when it goes up and down.

Aah, that makes much more sense! Looks like I never payed full attention there!

#11191 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

Aah, that makes much more sense! Looks like I never payed full attention there!

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing because you just have to know. There’s nothing in the game that specifically tells you that.

#11192 3 years ago

This might be a stupid question but don’t magnets lose their magnetism when stored together for a period of time? I was thinking to have like 5 sets of balls and just rotate them out when I start having issues? Bad idea?

#11193 3 years ago
Quoted from Kenswift:

This might be a stupid question but don’t magnets lose their magnetism when stored together for a period of time? I was thinking to have like 5 sets of balls and just rotate them out when I start having issues? Bad idea?

If you do want to go that route and don't feel like making(youtube) or buying a degaussing tool https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnetized-balls-problem-solved-cheaply or don't have a soldering iron to try. put this in the search in that one massive market place that you bid on or sell stuff. 25 1-1/16" Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs.
Don't overthink this too much. I've never had a pinball magnetization problem, ever. I replace or polish pinballs to get the nicks out but i've never replaced one because of a magnetizing situation causing issues. Maybe i'm too dumb to know what the issues are. This is a possibility and not ruling it out.

r/
Mike

#11194 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

If you do want to go that route and don't feel like making(youtube) or buying a degaussing tool https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/magnetized-balls-problem-solved-cheaply or don't have a soldering iron to try. put this in the search in that one massive market place that you bid on or sell stuff. 25 1-1/16" Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Pinballs.
Don't overthink this too much. I've never had a pinball magnetization problem, ever. I replace or polish pinballs to get the nicks out but i've never replaced one because of a magnetizing situation causing issues. Maybe i'm too dumb to know what the issues are. This is a possibility and not ruling it out.
r/
Mike

DI has a ton of magnet play and magnetizes balls very quickly, even carbon steel ones.

#11195 3 years ago

I have a buddy looking for a HUO Dialed In somewhere near or in Cali. Cash deal. Please let me know if someone is interested in selling theirs. Thanks!

#11196 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Hope these help.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks, is there a piece connecting the top of both signs together? Also, are the signs held down by a bolt+nut or just a screw?

#11197 3 years ago

Has anyone tried heating the balls in an oven to demagnetize them?

I had a recollection that heating would eliminate magnetism from engineering school 20 years ago...

#11198 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Has anyone tried heating the balls in an oven to demagnetize them?
I had a recollection that heating would eliminate magnetism from engineering school 20 years ago...

Yes. I read a post in one of these threads, perhaps the “Where are you buying balls from?” thread where someone tried that and I think got decent results. I might try it one of these days, but balls are pretty cheap and I swap them out regularly anyway.

#11199 3 years ago

I should say that the first sign mine are getting magnetized tends to be irregular returns from the phone scoop. This is followed by the ball sometimes (though rarely) sticking to the trough when it drops in and not rolling down to trigger the opto.

#11200 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

is there a piece connecting the top of both signs together? Also, are the signs held down by a bolt+nut or just a screw?

A metal piece at the top. Snap rivets hold in place. Screw and bolt to the plastic.

DSC00375 (resized).JPGDSC00375 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 224 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/224?hl=tolls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.