IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 273.
#10701 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

The crazy drone BOB multiball puts various items in the theater as it progresses. These items refer back to other Lawlor games, such as the chair from TAF. It's possible that the checkered flag refers to Banzai Run?

Or Nascar / Dale Jr. / Grand Prix

#10702 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Or Nascar / Dale Jr. / Grand Prix

I just saw a golf ball in the theater during Drones Gone Wild MB

#10703 3 years ago

Well, after 2 years of ownership, I finally joined the broken trap door flap club. Game plays fine without it. Any reason to replace if there are no issues with game play?

#10704 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Any reason to replace if there are no issues with game play?

Balls can trap on the trap door because it sits lower. Also prone to balls getting into the bottom of the cabinet easier.

LTG : )

#10705 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Balls can trap on the trap door because it sits lower. Also prone to balls getting into the bottom of the cabinet easier.

Actually enough of the flap remains that it sits on the wood before the beveled opening, so I’m hoping that won’t be a problem. I took enough shots at the orbit, both slow and fast, that it seems fine. I guess I’ll see how it goes, but maybe I’ll call JJP to see about getting a replacement just in case. I don’t have a way to put rivets in and no experience doing so, so it may be getting the whole contraption.

#10706 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Actually enough of the flap remains that it sits on the wood before the beveled opening, so I’m hoping that won’t be a problem. I took enough shots at the orbit, both slow and fast, that it seems fine. I guess I’ll see how it goes, but maybe I’ll call JJP to see about getting a replacement just in case. I don’t have a way to put rivets in and no experience doing so, so it may be getting the whole contraption.

I have been running with a broken flap for hundreds of games without issue. Go with it. Could be ok.

#10707 3 years ago
Quoted from TOLLS:

I have been running with a broken flap for hundreds of games without issue. Go with it. Could be ok.

Thanks. Good to know.

#10708 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Thanks. Good to know.

I think it really depends how it broke. Yours sounds like it broke in a way that almost fixes the design issue. In my case, I couldn't smoothly make the orbit until I replaced it. There's a pic in here somewhere https://aaarpinball.com/DialedIn/DI.htm that shows it broke off right at the end of the piece.

... Altan

#10709 3 years ago

What is everybody setting there multiple levels to? I recently activated all four starting with the 500K, 1.5 million et cetera. I have to say it’s super fun this way.

#10710 3 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

What is everybody setting there multiple levels to? I recently activated all four starting with the 500K, 1.5 million et cetera. I have to say it’s super fun this way.

You mean the score awards? I've never enabled mine. On standard settings, I get my EB after 3 modes and that's it. Now that you mention it, I should set it to 5 or 7... EB shows up way too early I think I might have gotten another EB sometimes much deeper in the game from combos or drone mystery, but I've never used the score awards.

#10711 3 years ago

just replaced the CPU battery. It has only been about 2 1/2 years, but wanted to be safe. It was not as easy as they make it seem to be. Be careful not to hit the spinning cooling fan (the smaller one) on the card to the left of the battery area.

#10712 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

just replaced the CPU battery. It has only been about 2 1/2 years, but wanted to be safe. It was not as easy as they make it seem to be. Be careful not to hit the spinning cooling fan (the smaller one) on the card to the left of the battery area.

Hit the fan when I did this on my WOZ. Blood was shed.

#10713 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Funny you mention this, I JUST printed out page 365/366 from the manual this morning. Figured I have no idea of the battery life in mine.

#10714 3 years ago

You are so right Pinwalk! I changed my battery a few months ago, and disaster followed. I ended up having to reboot the system. It was a nightmare. Surely they could have made it easier.

Maurizio

#10715 3 years ago

Are you guys talking about a CMOS coin type battery? I've had very few of these fail, even on very old computers. I've never seen one explode like AA batteries. I don't want to give bad advice because I'm by no means an expert, but are you even remotely close to the life on these?

#10716 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Are you guys talking about a CMOS coin type battery? I've had very few of these fail, even on very old computers. I've never seen one explode like AA batteries. I don't want to give bad advice because I'm by no means an expert, but are you even remotely close to the life on these?

5 years I believe is what they say ...but they can last longer or die sooner ....

#10717 3 years ago

The manual says 3 years and warns of consequences if you let the battery drain

Maurizio

#10718 3 years ago
Quoted from maur:

The manual says 3 years and warns of consequences if you let the battery drain
Maurizio

Dam
. Guess I need change mine

#10719 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Did you try to remove the phone card? Getting ready to change my battery and I thought that would be the way to go.

#10720 3 years ago

I didn't remove anything, frankly I was afraid to, lol. Just followed the instructions given in manual. Removing that card to the left of battery would make replacement a snap, but didn't think you could do that since machine is on when replacement is done.

#10721 3 years ago

Guys proceed carefully. You have no idea how crazy and complicated things get on DI. It is not like any other game when it comes to changing the battery.
I don't know if all JJP games are like this. If they are, then I would suggest someone think about changing the location of the battery.

Maurizio

#10722 3 years ago
Quoted from maur:

You are so right Pinwalk! I changed my battery a few months ago, and disaster followed. I ended up having to reboot the system. It was a nightmare. Surely they could have made it easier.
Maurizio

What do you mean by rebooting the system? Are there some BIOS changes that you needed to make?

#10723 3 years ago

Shredso

If I remember correctly I went into the bios and for some reason the system had defaulted to one video display. I changed it to multi display and it worked. I really didn’t know what I was doing. I got a lot of help from pinsiders especially Kwaydud I posted about it a few pages back

Maurizio

#10724 3 years ago
Quoted from maur:

Shredso
If I remember correctly I went into the bios and for some reason the system had defaulted to one video display. I changed it to multi display and it worked. I really didn’t know what I was doing. I got a lot of help from pinsiders especially Kwaydud I posted about it a few pages back
Maurizio

Yes, I had to do this too. A pain in the butt to figure out on your own but I eventually stumbled into the right settings on the motherboard! Now do I remember them today... er... at least I could get it done a lot faster.

#10725 3 years ago

I have had this happen a few times, ball search is initiated on the game, ball is stuck behind the raised bob trap in the orbit.

My first thought is to go into coil tests to move the door, but it only seems to raise it, not lower it.

My only solution has been to pull the glass, get the ball free back to the trough, then when you start a new game it lowers the bob trap.

Am I missing something?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10726 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I have had this happen a few times, ball search is initiated on the game, ball is stuck behind the raised bob trap in the orbit.
My first thought is to go into coil tests to move the door, but it only seems to raise it, not lower it.
My only solution has been to pull the glass, get the ball free back to the trough, then when you start a new game it lowers the bob trap.
Am I missing something?

Yes. It seems there is some issue stopping your door from closing. It should close in the test for example.

Look for a mechanical issue or broken wire to start.

#10727 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yes. It seems there is some issue stopping your door from closing. It should close in the test for example.
Look for a mechanical issue or broken wire to start.

Thanks I'll check it out, it's odd that once all balls are accounted for and a new game is started it closes without issue.

#10728 3 years ago

I've owned this game for a few months now and gotta say, this may be the greatest designed game ever. Not saying it is the best game of all time, but from a design/layout standpoint, this game is just the smoothest shooter I've ever played. I just completely enjoy hitting the shots on this game. And when you hit the ramps, the ball just seems to want to make the journey effortlessly. It's a heck of a lot of fun. It's tough, but rewarding. It's got some humor and the light show is great. I have a love/hate relationship with the magnets, but that gives it some serious character. But just wanted to comment on the shots. Anyhow, for all you owners, I'm sure you all know this already. Just happy to have this game in my collection.

#10729 3 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

You can lower it in test

Consider a dab of grease on the latch that locks the arm of the trap door up. And oil on the axle the arm pivots on. Do this, and then work it up and down manually a few times and you should be good to go.

See pictures. Arrows point to where to oil or dab of grease.

DITrap (resized).JPGDITrap (resized).JPGTrap Door Mech_Latch CO (resized).jpgTrap Door Mech_Latch CO (resized).jpg
#10730 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can lower it in test
Consider a dab of grease on the latch that locks the arm of the trap door up. And oil on the axle the arm pivots on. Do this, and then work it up and down manually a few times and you should be good to go.
See pictures. Arrows point to where to oil or dab of grease.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks so much for the detail,
So it turns out I was only testing via the coil test, not the device test which actually has the raise/lower option.
I'm still going to grease it up as it cant hurt.

#10731 3 years ago

This post is referring to my post from almost 3 months ago (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/205#post-5599848).

I finally got the screen and controller from China. Ordered on April 8th, arrive July 2nd. $28.12 cents shipped.

It works perfectly and even came with another board (in addition to the adjustment board, not 100% sure what it is). The colors are off only because of some interaction between the LCD and my camera.

IMG_3519 (resized).jpegIMG_3519 (resized).jpeg

While I haven't put this inside Dialed In, it's hard to imagine it wouldn't work.

... Altan

Quoted from altan:

I've been silent because I wasn't sure my efforts will be rewarded. Please keep in mind that, at the moment, I DO NOT recommend anyone pursue this path. However, I'll share what I know so far.
I was looking for cheaper/cheap phone replacement. I initially found an eBay seller that seemed to sell exactly the same controller board along with a 4.3" display. This display happened to be resistive touch, but that doesn't matter --- except for the cost. It's less than $50 shipped so I decided to give it a try. It arrived and works great (stand alone).
Some have noticed that Dialed In reports the phone as being 1024x768. Every 4.3" LCD I could find was 480x272. How could this be? I figured the controller board had a scaler built in. It turns out it does... The little LCD with the controller is happy to take 1024x768 output from my laptop and display it on the 480x272 screen.
[quoted image]
I haven't tried to put this LCD into the Dialed In case, but I suspect it will fit.
It also came with the screen adjustment board, the VGA cable, an adapter to use it with an external 12V power supply, a Composite input cable (opposed to VGA) and an adaptor to connect it to USB (I assume so you can use the resistive touch).
But once again, I don't recommend anyone buy this because the cost is out of wack. I was told that JJP charges just $35 for the LCD+controller (who'd a thought that! Nothing in pinball is $35). But that was after I ordered this!
However, this effort allowed me to determine more about the manufacturer of the controller board and I've got a line on a $28 (shipped) version with a regular LCD screen. I'll report on that when it arrives... This 2nd one has the potential to be a great alternative.
... Altan
www.aaarpinball.com

Quoted from Gogdog:

Thanks a lot for your work on this Altan. You are the best! Looking forward to when you get the $26-$28 shipped version, though I'm 99% certain that its the exact same product and the ebay seller just overcharged you to make money on the split.

#10732 3 years ago

I also bought the board. Was 24 EUR in my case and it took about 7 weeks to deliver. Everything included, all cabes and also the controller board. It‘s mainly for my parts inventory, just in case.

AC47AF99-0B6A-40BD-ADBB-0451F53D8EA6 (resized).jpegAC47AF99-0B6A-40BD-ADBB-0451F53D8EA6 (resized).jpegD8BD5CD6-E487-45E2-8C14-22DC166474EB (resized).jpegD8BD5CD6-E487-45E2-8C14-22DC166474EB (resized).jpeg
#10733 3 years ago

Having some difficulty returning my playfield to play position. It's always been tough, I'd have to give it a solid push to make it fit, but now it won't go in. I can get the service bars to just past the outer cabinet by the coinbox.

I don't have the foam piece and don't see any reason for a stop, but I'm unfamiliar with tracks and such.

Any ideas?

Here are the 2 rails, playfield almost in.

0706201744a (resized).jpg0706201744a (resized).jpg0706201746 (resized).jpg0706201746 (resized).jpg
#10734 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Having some difficulty returning my playfield to play position. It's always been tough, I'd have to give it a solid push to make it fit, but now it won't go in. I can get the service bars to just past the outer cabinet by the coinbox.
I don't have the foam piece and don't see any reason for a stop, but I'm unfamiliar with tracks and such.
Any ideas?
Here are the 2 rails, playfield almost in.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you down to the last say centimeter before you can place the apron down and get the hooks in so the playfield gets in its final position? Is that what you are experiencing?

If so, I think that's common. You just need to give it a bit of an extra push with the intention of just pushing it far enough to get the hooks over the two slots, then drop it in... almost feels spring loaded, but never inspected what's happening.

#10735 3 years ago

No, that's what I had before. Now I'm about 4 cm.

#10736 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

No, that's what I had before. Now I'm about 4 cm.

Your wires could be hung up on the right side of the machine. Mine was caught up on a screw one time.

#10737 3 years ago

My wire management tube is huge, but nothing seems caught.

Thanks though, every idea helps me find or eliminate causes.

#10738 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Check the hex (I believe) nuts inside the cabinet that hold the back box hinges in place. See if one came loose and is sticking out to far and catching on something.

#10739 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

The plunger isn't catching on something that it shouldn't, correct? Pull the plunger while lowering and see if that does anything.

#10740 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Check the hex (I believe) nuts inside the cabinet that hold the back box hinges in place. See if one came loose and is sticking out to far and catching on something.

Never mind. I think I was thinking about a different pin when I had that issue. I just looked at my DI and don’t think that would cause the problem you describe.

#10741 3 years ago

I'll tell you what is super frustrating about my particular game: the phone scoop kick outs are absolutely random. Half the time they come out the way they're supposed to, and the other half the come out to the right and hit the right sling. Like how does one make this consistent?!

#10742 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'll tell you what is super frustrating about my particular game: the phone scoop kick outs are absolutely random. Half the time they come out the way they're supposed to, and the other half the come out to the right and hit the right sling. Like how does one make this consistent?!

Could be magnetized or a Celeron...

#10743 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Could be magnetized or a Celeron...

Huh?

#10744 3 years ago

I guess Tranquilize is referring to the processor that earlier models of DI shipped with. Some timings (Animations, sounds, kickouts) were problematic with that processor in earlier software versions. But with the current version, it should work fine on all processors, at least from my experience. The problem back then was also different to what you described: The scoop was kicking out balls with a huge variation in coil power. Sometimes the ball would fly out, sometimes it would not even make it out of the scoop. From what I understand your problem is with consistency regarding the kickout direction?

#10745 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

My guess is the ball is hitting the wireform that passes overhead because the scoop hood has bent up. This has happened to me twice, had to push the scoop back down. It's hard to pick up as the ball moves so fast but if it just touches the wireform it deflects it.

#10746 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I had hope when you mentioned this as I had found a hex bolt just lying in the cab floor.

I know you posted again, but I'll still investigate.

Thanks.

#10747 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The plunger isn't catching on something that it shouldn't, correct? Pull the plunger while lowering and see if that does anything.

Unfortunately that's not it. The playfield service bars rest on top of the cab by the coin door. So not down far enough.

#10748 3 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

I guess Tranquilize is referring to the processor that earlier models of DI shipped with. Some timings (Animations, sounds, kickouts) were problematic with that processor in earlier software versions. But with the current version, it should work fine on all processors, at least from my experience. The problem back then was also different to what you described: The scoop was kicking out balls with a huge variation in coil power. Sometimes the ball would fly out, sometimes it would not even make it out of the scoop. From what I understand your problem is with consistency regarding the kickout direction?

Yeah, but the power seems consistent. Just the angle isn't. I suppose I could try different balls. Also about it hitting the wireform above it, it certainly doesn't look like that's the case at all. Hmmmm

#10749 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yeah, but the power seems consistent. Just the angle isn't. I suppose I could try different balls. Also about it hitting the wireform above it, it certainly doesn't look like that's the case at all. Hmmmm

Balls magnetize very very quickly on DI, even carbon steel ones. And when they do, that scoop becomes more inconsistent.

#10750 3 years ago

Playfield won't "close":

This is the BOBs trap door/subway mech. Think this is bent and catching, or is this normal?

0707201155~2 (resized).jpg0707201155~2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 215 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/215?hl=tolls and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.