IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 273.
#9601 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Under the playfield. Metal on metal moving parts.
LTG : )

Is there a specific brand/type of lube?

#9603 4 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Is there a specific brand/type of lube?

No. I use a light oil or grease for the chain on garage door openers. Just don't use WD40.

#9604 4 years ago

I heard a rumor that JJP was working on Bluetooth headphone support. Anyone know any more details about this (if true)?

... Altan

#9605 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Anyone know any more details about this

#9606 4 years ago

Starts at 31:40...

Cheers, Lars

#9607 4 years ago

How to join the beta tests for new SW?

#9608 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I heard a rumor that JJP was working on Bluetooth headphone support. Anyone know any more details about this (if true)?
... Altan

They're currently working on adding functionality for updating software via WiFi/Ethernet and making progress on Wonka and JJPOTC for that. I can only guess that Bluetooth will follow after they complete the update enhancement on all 5 JJP pins. Just my wild speculation.

#9610 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

They're currently working on adding functionality for updating software via WiFi/Ethernet and making progress on Wonka and JJPOTC for that. I can only guess that Bluetooth will follow after they complete the update enhancement on all 5 JJP pins. Just my wild speculation.

Pushing huge amounts of data through Bluetooth seems not really a good idea. With all the media I figure the images to flash are several gigabyte large.
Maybe the newer Bluetooth standards support faster data transfer.

#9611 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Pushing huge amounts of data through Bluetooth seems not really a good idea. With all the media I figure the images to flash are several gigabyte large.
Maybe the newer Bluetooth standards support faster data transfer.

The code updates will not be updated on the pins via Bluetooth, but will be via a WiFi dongle or connecting up an Ethernet cable directly to the motherboard network port. They haven't had us beta testers do anything with Bluetooth yet. The updates are going to be much more convenient and easier than the current update methods. It's nice.

#9612 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The code updates will not be updated on the pins via Bluetooth, but will be via a WiFi dongle or connecting up an Ethernet cable directly to the motherboard network port. They haven't had us beta testers do anything with Bluetooth yet. The updates are going to be much more convenient and easier than the current update methods. It's nice.

That makes perfect sense.

I'm looking forward to all manufacturers picking this up. Other than Stern I think the other manufacturers use of the shelf PCs, so adding WiFi hardware is not the expensive factor. Developing software support is where it will take time.
Maybe in a couple of years this will become standard.
Really great thing that they are doing here.

#9613 4 years ago

I probably need to upload some pics, but I *think* I may have sorted out my last (knock on wood) phone issue.

I went around the playfield seeing what made the phone vibrate (e.g. flippers, slings etc...). With one hand on the phone I activated the other items one by one, even dropping a ball into the scoop etc (in service mode and with the coil power still turned on this is easy).

Nothing really registered vibration wise except the lower most pop bumper; you could really feel that in the phone.

I turns out a cable or two going into the phone was touching the pop bumper cap.

I used a velcro strap to "cinch" the cables a few mm away from the lowest pop bumper cap. I also made a small plastic shim to further decrase the phone vibration (inserted between the metal bracket and the plastic back of the phone, as that was another source of vibration and leaving less wiggle room here seemed good).

I think moving the wires away from the pop bumper was the more important fix. But I did both at the same time. I had gone in expecting to use my shim (I used my spare phone to cut it out even before opening the game). But ended up finding maybe the real problem.

Anyways, I have not put even dozens of plays in, BUT I have played it a bunch, including a long game where I managed to get all SIM cards and win Showdown. There was so much multiball in that game and the phone took it like a champ.

I hope this helps some others out!

#9614 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Always appreciated!

#9615 4 years ago

Check out these kids

20191208_124001 (resized).jpg20191208_124001 (resized).jpg
#9616 4 years ago

Still looking to trade my original MM for a Dialed In? Who's got one?

#9617 4 years ago

I traded for a DI with a playfield protector already installed. The ball gets stuck on the QED guy slot quite often because of the added depth from the protector. Does anyone have a suggestion to help alleviate the ball getting stuck there so often? I've obviously thought about taking the playfield protector off, it's just a lot of work. I also realize you can just wait for a ball search to be performed which does put the ball back in play.

#9618 4 years ago
Quoted from Buellxb12r:

I traded for a DI with a playfield protector already installed. The ball gets stuck on the QED guy slot quite often because of the added depth from the protector. Does anyone have a suggestion to help alleviate the ball getting stuck there so often? I've obviously thought about taking the playfield protector off, it's just a lot of work. I also realize you can just wait for a ball search to be performed which does put the ball back in play.

Shake the machine when the ball comes near the track, it will keep you on your toes, and make you a better pinball player! Other then that, remove the protector I think.

#9619 4 years ago

Same issue here. The qed guy is a pain with the playfield protector. I was wondering if a small mod being the target would allow to avoid the ball stalling behind him..

#9620 4 years ago

Increase the tilt of the playfield. Mine did the same and now it's OK

#9621 4 years ago

Ball getting stuck behind QED is a strange issue for me. I posted this before but I’ll repeat it here because it’s directly related.

Without the qed protector, the ball got stuck there enough that it was frustrating. This was when my level was > 7 degrees. When I went back to 6.5 this was significantly reduced !

Strange but true. Counter intuitive. I recall someone said they had same behavior.

#9622 4 years ago

OK, but I like it fast :/

#9623 4 years ago

Same problem here. I reduced the incline and it does seem to be a bit better. Gotta shake the game when it gets stuck. Make sure your tilt is set to less sensitive.

#9624 4 years ago

Trying to understand the update process. I am currently on 1.71LE. I downloaded 1.73 Delta from JJP site. I unzipped it on a USB, installed the USB and went to update from USB. It said updating in Progress, completed but it still shows 1.71LE. I tried this 3 times. What am I doing wrong here? Should I do factory restore and then update with the 1.73 update?

#9625 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I probably need to upload some pics, but I *think* I may have sorted out my last (knock on wood) phone issue.
I went around the playfield seeing what made the phone vibrate (e.g. flippers, slings etc...). With one hand on the phone I activated the other items one by one, even dropping a ball into the scoop etc (in service mode and with the coil power still turned on this is easy).
Nothing really registered vibration wise except the lower most pop bumper; you could really feel that in the phone.
I turns out a cable or two going into the phone was touching the pop bumper cap.
I used a velcro strap to "cinch" the cables a few mm away from the lowest pop bumper cap. I also made a small plastic shim to further decrase the phone vibration (inserted between the metal bracket and the plastic back of the phone, as that was another source of vibration and leaving less wiggle room here seemed good).
I think moving the wires away from the pop bumper was the more important fix. But I did both at the same time. I had gone in expecting to use my shim (I used my spare phone to cut it out even before opening the game). But ended up finding maybe the real problem.
Anyways, I have not put even dozens of plays in, BUT I have played it a bunch, including a long game where I managed to get all SIM cards and win Showdown. There was so much multiball in that game and the phone took it like a champ.

Thanks for this idea. I didn't have a wire touching the lower pop bumper cap..but I did have the video cord from the phone touching the upper playfield plastic. And...since that is directly screwed into the pop bumpers, I'm sure its transferring vibrations right to the phone. You can see it here ->

2019-12-12_2257 (resized).png2019-12-12_2257 (resized).png

So I went ahead and bent the phone bracket a bit to give the cable some more space. I might later insert a piece of foam or something between the upper playfield and that cable if it continues to touch.

Next, like you...I also added some spacers to the back of the phone. However, I used some rubber bike tube that I had laying around. Very easy to cut out the rubber. The worst part..by far...is just taking apart the phone. You have to take apart the phone to get access to the screws that are holding the main bracket and the video cord bracket to the phone.

20191212_160305 (resized).jpg20191212_160305 (resized).jpg

Easy to make a template and cut them out.

20191212_160616 (resized).jpg20191212_160616 (resized).jpg

20191212_162317 (resized).jpg20191212_162317 (resized).jpg

I used two layers of rubber...which is just thick enough that the lock nuts still have enough bite. I could have used 3 layers if I went to the hardware store and bought low profile locknuts.

Looks really clean once installed.

20191212_163121 (resized).jpg20191212_163121 (resized).jpg

I did go ahead and play for an hour or so tonight after I did these two changes and the phone did not turn off once. But an hour is not a big enough sample size so for right now...I'm only cautiously optimistic about the fix. If it does keep turning off in the future, then I'll go the route of creating an external power switch for the phone to restart the phone during a game easily.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9626 4 years ago

I had to replace five phones before I got one that worked!

#9627 4 years ago

A couple of the lights around outside of my phone light the wrong color most of the time, other times it's correct. It's been that way since I opened it NIB, it's never bothered me, but I was wondering what could be the cause in case I try to troubleshoot it. After seeing the phone horror stories I'm afraid to touch it just for a couple of leds that are simply the wrong color.

#9628 4 years ago

I've disassembled way worse things than that phone. I had one of my ramp RGB LEDs (DILE) miss a color channel, maybe that's the case in your phone, too. The reason was a poorly soldered resistor on the little circuitboard. Easy fix.
Can you describe the LED problem in more detail or post a picture?

#9629 4 years ago
Quoted from the_zap:

I've disassembled way worse things than that phone. I had one of my ramp RGB LEDs (DILE) miss a color channel, maybe that's the case in your phone, too. The reason was a poorly soldered resistor on the little circuitboard. Easy fix.
Can you describe the LED problem in more detail or post a picture?

I'll get a video this weekend and come back. Thanks!

#9630 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

A couple of the lights around outside of my phone light the wrong color most of the time, other times it's correct. It's been that way since I opened it NIB, it's never bothered me, but I was wondering what could be the cause in case I try to troubleshoot it. After seeing the phone horror stories I'm afraid to touch it just for a couple of leds that are simply the wrong color.

Most likely the cable is loose and has a bad connection. I have the same issue and I push it in and it fixes it for a while but then happens again within a few games. I'm guess a new cable will fix it but it don't bother me that much as its just one light that messes up.

#9631 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Thanks for this idea. I didn't have a wire touching the lower pop bumper cap..but I did have the video cord from the phone touching the upper playfield plastic. And...since that is directly screwed into the pop bumpers, I'm sure its transferring vibrations right to the phone. You can see it here ->
[quoted image]
So I went ahead and bent the phone bracket a bit to give the cable some more space. I might later insert a piece of foam or something between the upper playfield and that cable if it continues to touch.
Next, like you...I also added some spacers to the back of the phone. However, I used some rubber bike tube that I had laying around. Very easy to cut out the rubber. The worst part..by far...is just taking apart the phone. You have to take apart the phone to get access to the screws that are holding the main bracket and the video cord bracket to the phone.
[quoted image]
Easy to make a template and cut them out.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I used two layers of rubber...which is just thick enough that the lock nuts still have enough bite. I could have used 3 layers if I went to the hardware store and bought low profile locknuts.
Looks really clean once installed.
[quoted image]
I did go ahead and play for an hour or so tonight after I did these two changes and the phone did not turn off once. But an hour is not a big enough sample size so for right now...I'm only cautiously optimistic about the fix. If it does keep turning off in the future, then I'll go the route of creating an external power switch for the phone to restart the phone during a game easily.

Ok...I'm still getting phone turning off issues...so...my remedy wasn't a remedy after all.

I'm going to PM @mageek and ask him about his reset switch ->

Quoted from Mageek:

I had numerous problems with the phone, Yellow Tint, Red Tint, Blank.... to the point where I put a switch in-line with the phone power so I could reset it without powering off the game. Since 1.7x I have had ZERO phone issues and have removed my reset switch.

#9632 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Still looking to trade my original MM for a Dialed In? Who's got one?

I would trade mine for AFMLE...

#9633 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok...I'm still getting phone turning off issues...so...my remedy wasn't a remedy after all.
I'm going to PM @mageek and ask him about his reset switch ->

Bummer! Mine is still okay... knock on wood. If the video card that runs the phone is flopping around I wonder if that is worth looking into. I fixed mine in place better with clear gorilla tape as it just had too much play IMO (no screw to hold it in place, just basically free to shake around its PCI-e/AGP or whatever slot its in; I Have not build a PC since ~ 2001).

Not sure if that has anything to do with anything though; it made me feel better .

#9634 4 years ago

I still wonder if there is any way to motivate the backbox monitor to show the boot sequence. When I got the machine it was shown there but after some weeks the boot sequence moved to the phone monitor...

#9635 4 years ago

I noticed my Bob Trap Door's spring steel flap was broken off. I've got a replacement and will do the repair over the holidays.

Is there a known cause for this and/or a tweak to prevent it in the future? I've searched this thread and found several examples of the flap breaking off but didn't see anything preventing it in the future.

While I'm not the first owner, it's not like my DI LE has been routed and has any reason for this part to break (under it's playing conditions).

... Altan

#9636 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Is there a known cause for this and/or a tweak to prevent it in the future? I've searched this thread and found several examples of the flap breaking off but didn't see anything preventing it in the future.

Throw a nut in the coil so the plunger doesn't travel as far and breaks the flap off on the wireform above it.

This has been discussed in this thread in the past.

#9637 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Throw a nut in the coil so the plunger doesn't travel as far and breaks the flap off on the wireform above it.
This has been discussed in this thread in the past.

I was able to find the post with the info you provided (nut and coil stop)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/135#post-4757873

#9638 4 years ago

I've discovered what appears to be a software bug in the code. It has happened to me twice now during play, and I just repeated it with the glass off. I am running the latest software. Here is what happens:

1. Start a mode, don't finish. Drain.
2. Start a second mode, don't finish. Drain.
3. Start a third mode. Finish. Sim card lit.
4. Send ball up side ramp into lock.
5. Now with Sim card shot lit and extra ball shot lit, put next ball into phone scoop to start multiball.

This is supposed to be a 2 ball multiball but the game kicks out all 5 balls.

As I said, I have now repeated this a few times. All other times I trigger MB, it plays as it should -- a 2 ball MB. I am not sure yet whether every step is necessary to trigger this apparent bug.

Can someone else try with the glass off and report back?

#9639 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I've discovered what appears to be a software bug in the code. It has happened to me twice now during play, and I just repeated it with the glass off. I am running the latest software. Here is what happens:
5. Now with Sim card shot lit and extra ball shot lit, put next ball into phone scoop to start multiball.
As I said, I have now repeated this a few times. All other times I trigger MB, it plays as it should -- a 2 ball MB. I am not sure yet whether every step is necessary to trigger this apparent bug.

I followed those exact steps with glass off...and still got 2 ball MB. I'm running latest version.

#9640 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

1.73-LE, could not reproduce your problem. Maybe an opto problem with either your trough or the lock? My wild guess: If the lock has a misaligned/broken opto, the machine might think that balls are still in the lock although they have been ejected for multiball. It tries to compensate for the "lost balls"and kicks out balls from the trough. Then it gets confused when one of the ejected balls drains because it does not expect that to happen.

You might want to do a switch test in the menu.

Also, a video of your experiment would be really helpful.

#9641 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

What software version are you running?

#9642 4 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for testing. I'm running 1.73LE. I just tried again and wasn't able to repeat the issue, though I did repeat it on ball #2. So, you may be right, and it isn't a software issue but perhaps another issue. All the optos in the ball lock tested fine. I did notice that my balls are getting magnetized again and sometimes sticking in the trough, so it may be time to change them. Perhaps that is causing part of this . . . .

#9643 4 years ago

I'm running 1.73LE on my game and when I get an extra ball, the Shoot Again does not stay on. It does add an extra ball on ball counter but at no time does it ever say Player One Shoot again or Extra Ball "You're Gonna Need it" ;-P

Is this something missing in the code that will eventually get addressed or is it just this is how it is, live with it.

E.

#9644 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

I'm running 1.73LE on my game and when I get an extra ball, the Shoot Again does not stay on. It does add an extra ball on ball counter but at no time does it ever say Player One Shoot again or Extra Ball "You're Gonna Need it" ;-P
Is this something missing in the code that will eventually get addressed or is it just this is how it is, live with it.
E.

It’s because you’re playing balls in reserve, so extra balls are added to the screen and not awarded immediately at the end of each ball. The major difference is when you are playing multiplayer. Instead of getting your extra ball at the end of your current ball, you get it after the other players take their turns. You can toggle this feature on and off in settings.

#9645 4 years ago

Here is a video of my phone issue.

Been that way since I bought it, but it never bothered me so I didn't worry about it. Would be nice to troubleshoot it though if it's not too much trouble.

#9646 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

It’s because you’re playing balls in reserve, so extra balls are added to the screen and not awarded immediately at the end of each ball. The major difference is when you are playing multiplayer. Instead of getting your extra ball at the end of your current ball, you get it after the other players take their turns. You can toggle this feature on and off in settings.

Oh cool thanks. I had no idea. I will change it.

Thanks
Ed

#9647 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Oh cool thanks. I had no idea. I will change it.
Thanks
Ed

Sure thing. But balls in reserve is a cool way to play. If friends are over, they don’t have to sit around waiting while you play each extra ball before they get their turn.

It just counts balls differently. You have X number of balls left, rather than being on ball Y out of 3.

#9648 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Sure thing. But balls in reserve is a cool way to play. If friends are over, they don’t have to sit around waiting while you play each extra ball before they get their turn.
It just counts balls differently. You have X number of balls left, rather than being on ball Y out of 3.

Yea I get that. Also noticed that I was able to start a 2nd player on ball 2. It acted normal and the 2nd player just got another ball when I was done. Very cool.

Ed

#9649 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Here is a video of my phone issue.

Been that way since I bought it, but it never bothered me so I didn't worry about it. Would be nice to troubleshoot it though if it's not too much trouble.

A replacement LED board for the phone is about $90US. Try a different RJ45 cable and if that doesn't help, then maybe the LED board inside is bad.

Rob

#9650 4 years ago
Quoted from Edster:

Yea I get that. Also noticed that I was able to start a 2nd player on ball 2. It acted normal and the 2nd player just got another ball when I was done. Very cool.
Ed

Yeah, it’s really cool that people can just keep starting games and no one has to wait around.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 13,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 193 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/193?hl=gogdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.