IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 273.
#9101 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I guess if you're going to lose an entire LED on the phone, this is the one to lose (bottom middle). I am wondering if the ball is possibly hitting the underside of the phone as it ejects and that caused this LED to fail? Has anyone ever attempted to repair one of these? The board is about $90US, so after shipping it is kind of cost prohibitive to replace for just 1 bad LED.
I'm going to lower the kickout power of the phone scoop, but I will probably not bend the scoop itself. I think it would probably bend back eventually.
Rob[quoted image]

Check the connector in the back.. i have /had the same light issue... the line works its way loose and has a bad connection.

#9102 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Check the connector in the back.. i have /had the same light issue... the line works its way loose and has a bad connection.

Nope, that's not it. The LED is actually missing and was most likely knocked off when the phone was reassembled after replacing the display. The (additional) lesson learned here is that if you route the VGA ribbon cable through the cutout in the display driver board, it causes you to 'clamshell the two halves in position to attach the connector. The bottom edge of the front part of the case will have a high chance of rubbing against the LED and breaking it off.

Now if I had a spare LED, I know someone who can fix this for me local. Does anyone have a spare LED you can mail to me please? Or even know the part number and maybe I can order in Canada.

Rob
20190923_181139 (resized).jpg20190923_181139 (resized).jpg

#9103 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please with power off the game. Reseat the ball trough connectors. And to the Opto driver board under the playfield.
Then go to the I/O board in the head. Reseat connectors involved there.
LTG : )

@LTG, thank you.

My game today stopped registering the ball in the phone scoop. I immediately thought it was a dirty opto or it fell out of the slotted openings in the metal bracket. Nope and nope.

I searched this thread and found this post. I lifted up the playfield and checked the connections. Sure enough, everything on the opto board was loose. I started the game back up and it worked.

Saved me tons of time. Thank you, sir.

#9104 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Seems like the code smooths out the video nicely, the stream is here if anyone wants to see for themselves: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/484645830

The animations do look better. Alien Invasion looks much improved.
Maybe it’s my imagination but the animation themselves look a little more refined, almost more three dimensional

Kevin; looks like your Phone video very briefly went out at 21:52. It was still on on the stream window but off on the machine. I notice that happens every once in a while. If it happens often you might want to loosen the phone housing nuts up just a little, so the board has a little more room. I found that helps.

#9105 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

The animations do look better. Alien Invasion looks much improved.
Maybe it’s my imagination but the animation themselves look a little more refined, almost more three dimensional
Kevin; looks like your Phone video very briefly went out at 21:52. It was still on on the stream window but off on the machine. I notice that happens every once in a while. If it happens often you might want to loosen the phone housing nuts up just a little, so the board has a little more room. I found that helps.

Good to know! Thanks, I’ll check it out.

#9106 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Now if I had a spare LED, I know someone who can fix this for me local. Does anyone have a spare LED you can mail to me please? Or even know the part number and maybe I can order in Canada.

I'll contact JJP and maybe they have some bad boards and they can desolder an good LED for me.

Rob

#9107 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I checked the rulesheet on Tilt and there's nothing there about this specifically.

Do you have a link to the rulesheet? Looking for a good one that gets updated (eventually) with the code releases.

#9108 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Seems like the code smooths out the video nicely, the stream is here if anyone wants to see for themselves: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/484645830

Kev

not sure how bad it was before on your pin... !? may be we just have to check some older vids from you
i think we're not the all same with this prob (even if its illogical in a way)
for sure, i still "feel" a little desynchro with yours (only watched 15 min, with meteor, earshake, sink holes), in fact same as on mine (let's admit, nothing really bad)
in my case, didnt think the 1.72 makes it better than 1.71

(PS : i'm still with the CELERON, only tweaked few things in the BIOS, and swapped the single bank RAM with 2 of the same type to get the dual channel)

#9109 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

Kev
not sure how bad it was before on your pin... !? may be we just have to check some older vids from you
i think we're not the all same with this prob (even if its illogical in a way)
for sure, i still "feel" a little desynchro with yours (only watched 15 min, with meteor, earshake, sink holes), in fact same as on mine (let's admit, nothing really bad)
in my case, didnt think the 1.72 makes it better than 1.71
(PS : i'm still with the CELERON, only tweaked few things in the BIOS, and swapped the single bank RAM with 2 of the same type to get the dual channel)

Here's 1.70, same machine, if you want to compare:

#9110 4 years ago

yep, same feeling, hard to say 1.72 improve from 1.70... and if some think yes, is it a placebo effect !?
else may be we have to compare precisely same mode between them, but OK, at this point it doesnt really matter, and we can enjoy the pin as it

while also betatesting the 1.72 here, already gave my feedback to Joe
now OK, may be it will help some others guys...

#9111 4 years ago

so maybe swapping out the CPU might be in the cards? It's a relatively cheap upgrade with some people being able to find them on ebay for $50 or less. I might have to consider if 1.72 doesn't work out the lag issues.

It's never stopped me from enjoying the game however. Just a little annoyance.

#9112 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just a little annoyance.

yes, for sure

and no urge to rush for a hardware upgrade...

#9113 4 years ago

Any thoughts about this? I read on a different thread....of using e6000 glue underneath cliffys that were starting to come up. And they said it was completely removable with acetone nail polish remover or naphtha spirits (though I'm not sure which one of those is safe for PFs). My sim card cliffy has an edge thats up that I have mylar tape over but its still not fully flush so was thinking of glueing it down.

20181225_132330 (resized).jpg20181225_132330 (resized).jpg

#9114 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Any thoughts about this? I read on a different thread....of using e6000 glue underneath cliffys that were starting to come up. And they said it was completely removable with acetone nail polish remover or naphtha spirits (though I'm not sure which one of those is safe for PFs). My sim card cliffy has an edge thats up that I have mylar tape over but its still not fully flush so was thinking of glueing it down.
[quoted image]

You don' have to glue the protector down. The reason it bends up at the front is because the inner front lip probably isn't snug against the wood. When the ball smashes into the scoop, it hits the inner front lip of the protector. If there's any gap between the lip and the wood, it has room to flex/bend which causes the front of the protector to lift up. If your protector is already bent, it might be easier to replace it with a new one.

Rob

#9115 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

[quoted image]

Or you can take them off. I took mine off and the game is so much more enjoyable

#9116 4 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

Or you can take them off. I took mine off and the game is so much more enjoyable

Had my sim hole protector off for a couple of hundred games. Used Mylar in place. Plays much better, can actually make the shot. No wear, chips etc. Phone scoop left it on. If that bricks, you need to aim better.

#9117 4 years ago

Can someone tell me how many balls are in this game? I want to order some new ones before I pick my game up this weekend.

#9118 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Can someone tell me how many balls are in this game? I want to order some new ones before I pick my game up this weekend.

I believe it is a five ball pin. I think that all JJPs are five ball? Not sure about POTC or Wonka, though.

#9119 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

5 balls. Do NOT use Ninja's due to how easily they can become magnetized.

#9120 4 years ago

New code just dropped v1.73. They must have made some tweaks from beta 1.72. Hopefully it resolves the video lag. I'll have to try it out tonight.

#9121 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

New code just dropped v1.73. They must have made some tweaks from beta 1.72. Hopefully it resolves the video lag. I'll have to try it out tonight.

Massive code update! But in all seriousness hope it fixes the issues some of you all are having, my game has not had the Lag problems with Bluetooth removed.

- NOTE: This is a "delta" upgrade, which must be installed over V01.60 or
V01.61 or V01.71

=== Game Code

* display performance enhancements

#9122 4 years ago

Will install tonight and report back.

Prior to install, I’ll video my alien invasion mode to have a solid comparison.

#9123 4 years ago

I really like v1.73
and Acid Rain is picture perfect now, even on my Celeron

#9124 4 years ago
Quoted from edelhert:

I really like v1.73
and Acid Rain is picture perfect now, even on my Celeron

Thanks for the report. Looks like it is finally time for me to update from 1.57.

#9125 4 years ago

Luckily the i3 chip I just bought is returnable. Looking forward to trying this out tonight, hopefully it fixes the inconsistent phone kickout as well.

#9126 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Luckily the i3 chip I just bought is returnable. Looking forward to trying this out tonight, hopefully it fixes the inconsistent phone kickout as well.

Yeehaw! Maybe I’ll play better with the update

#9127 4 years ago

Updated quickly and plays well. Only a couple games though. Still have my sound issue.

#9128 4 years ago

Updated and the few games I've played I do not see the video lag like before. Haven't verified acid rain yet.
Such a great game!

*Acid rain looks way better!

#9129 4 years ago
Quoted from avspin:

Updated quickly and plays well. Only a couple games though. Still have my sound issue.

Have you tried the closed caption feature?

#9130 4 years ago

I am incredibly lucky. My i5-4670 came in today, but I had a doctor's appointment this afternoon. Came home to this update...which...after installing...seems to have fixed video lag, and I don't have inconsistent phone scoop coil either. AND...the ebay seller allows free returns within 30 days!

I like the added animations (I'm coming from 1.57), like the rocket ship in the theater, and a lot of QOL changes too like...displaying quantum theater MB progress during the game. Excited to see all that has changed during my next few games!

#9131 4 years ago

Anyone have a link to the old 1.50 code and the delta upgrade to 1.57?

I'd like to have it in case I decide to do some comparisons. I didn't see it on the JJP site even after playing with the URLs.

... Altan

#9132 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I spent some time tonight looking at why shots were bricking. It was consistently the scoop vertical reenforcements.
Lifted the pf and looked at the mech. Mine had been installed with a fair bit of slack space behind it for the cables etc. So my guess is that the mech is waaay forward in my machine.
As a test I unscrewed the entire mech and moved it around by hand. It didn’t hit anything else so I moved it as far back as I could go and put in a screw.
This instantly made the phone scoop so much better. I did have to realign the subway from the sim card. It had enough play to only require one end to be moved.
Measurements between old and new position is 7.5mm.
Old
[quoted image]
New
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Also...a bit ago I went ahead and moved the phone scoop back. I had previously changed to using a mantis scoop protector but I kept getting what I call "clanking" rejects. Shots that look like they should go in just fine but don't. I know many have already moved the phone scoop, and for some its not necessary, but for me it was really aggravating. You can't get many points in DI if you can't start modes!

It was actually pretty easy to move back. I don't think I needed to try and move it back as much as possible, just a little would be enough. If you try to go back to far you run the risk of changing the horizontal angle of the scoop.

Before:
20190828_193621 (resized).jpg20190828_193621 (resized).jpg

After:
20190918_154438 (resized).jpg20190918_154438 (resized).jpg

Be careful to maintain the same angle!
20190918_154413 (resized).jpg20190918_154413 (resized).jpg

Unlike some others, I did not have to move the subway in anyway. There is a small overhang from the opening of the scoop, but not enough to stop balls.
20190918_154402 (resized).jpg20190918_154402 (resized).jpg

Now...its like a completely different playing machine!

#9133 4 years ago

I feel dumb...at first I thought the rocket animation didn't quite fit with the theme. Why is there a 1940s sci-fi movie rocket ship doing in quantum city?

Then later I realized...that's the twilight zone rocket! DI already has a ton of Lawlor callbacks...looks like they added a few more!

2019-09-25_2049 (resized).png2019-09-25_2049 (resized).png

20190925_202829 (resized).jpg20190925_202829 (resized).jpg

#9134 4 years ago

Just trying to update from 1.57 to 1.60. I have the ISO on the thumb drive, but when I boot, it flashes "Missing Operating System" then boots 1.57. I have an 8gb USB stick that I've used for other full and Delta updates, so the drive has worked before. I've also downloaded the file three times, upacking it each time with no success. I've also tried two different USB ports (the extended and one directly on the computer). Any thoughts?

#9135 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Just trying to update from 1.57 to 1.60. I have the ISO on the thumb drive, but when I boot, it flashes "Missing Operating System" then boots 1.57. I have an 8gb USB stick that I've used for other full and Delta updates, so the drive has worked before. I've also downloaded the file three times, upacking it each time with no success. I've also tried two different USB ports (the extended and one directly on the computer). Any thoughts?

Wait, did you just copy the .ISO file directly onto the usb drive or did you unpack it with unetbootin?

#9136 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Just trying to update from 1.57 to 1.60. I have the ISO on the thumb drive,

Did you follow the instructions for a full install on the website ?

Use unetbootin to put the download on the USB stick. After 15-20 minutes when it's done. Go to game, turn it off. Open coin door and insert the USB stick in the USB cable by the cash box. Turn game on. Watch updating stuff run. When the screen says complete remove USB stick and reboot ( turn game off, wait 10 seconds and turn back on ) ?

#9137 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you follow the instructions for a full install on the website ?
Use unetbootin to put the download on the USB stick. After 15-20 minutes when it's done. Go to game, turn it off. Open coin door and insert the USB stick in the USB cable by the cash box. Turn game on. Watch updating stuff run. When the screen says complete remove USB stick and reboot ( turn game off, wait 10 seconds and turn back on ) ?

I did use unetbootin. I've followed all the instructions about ten times. This last attempt, I'm getting this:

DIUpdate (resized).jpgDIUpdate (resized).jpg

In white it says *Ubuntu

The unpacked ISO is 4.09gb on the thumb drive, which seems about right... Drive is FAT32.

#9138 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I've followed all the instructions about ten times.

Something went wrong. Games like a 8GB to 16GB memory stick and don't like some USB sticks.

There are two download spots on the website. USA ( mirror ) and EU ( mirror ). Please try a fresh one from the spot other than the one you first used. Format a memory stick and try again.

#9139 4 years ago

I think I found the issue. I didn't click the button "Disk Image" on Unetbootin... I've used it before and skipped the details. I'll report back if this is the fix.

#9140 4 years ago

Well, that didn't help. Still "Missing Operating System." I'll try again tomorrow.

#9141 4 years ago

Installed 1.73 on my machine with Celeron cpu, all lag gone even with the bluetooth dongle reconnected. Anyone else notice flippers seem weaker after the update? I had to up the power on mine.

#9142 4 years ago

Seems that 1.73 fixed most of the lag issues. I still notice a bit of off-sync video on the phone on some modes. The "dialing" animation is perfect on some, but slightly lagging on others, but in all, it doesn't bother me (even when it was bad, it never really bothered me enough to not play). Acid Rain is much improved. I didn't notice any inconsistent coil problems on any of the mechs (flippers, scoop). Hats off to Ted and Joe for working hard on getting this polished! I may still upgrade my CPU just to completely eradicate the problems, but right now, I would recommend updating if you haven't.

#9143 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Well, that didn't help. Still "Missing Operating System." I'll try again tomorrow.

I’m having the same issues. Going from 1.61 to 1.73 will not work. I’m trying a diff usb stick tonight.

#9144 4 years ago
Quoted from altan:

Anyone have a link to the old 1.50 code and the delta upgrade to 1.57?
I'd like to have it in case I decide to do some comparisons. I didn't see it on the JJP site even after playing with the URLs.
... Altan

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/169#post-5117880

#9145 4 years ago

If the lag problems are really gone it would be cool to get a full update and not a delta only.

#9146 4 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

If the lag problems are really gone it would be cool to get a full update and not a delta only.

What version are you running now? V1.5X added a lot of new features to the game. V1.73 makes it near 100% perfect.

#9147 4 years ago

I gotta say, the attract mode sound (camera activated?) has startled me on more than one occasion

#9148 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I gotta say, the attract mode sound (camera activated?) has startled me on more than one occasion

That can be turned on or off in settings. Started with Willy Wonka and now the update added it to Dialed in. Default is on.

In my arcade I have the attract mode stuff off. I left the camera activated on, thought it was cute. At first. If Pirates starts doing it at some point. And all future JJP games do it. I may limit it to just the new game.

#9149 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That can be turned on or off in settings. Started with Willy Wonka and now the update added it to Dialed in. Default is on.
In my arcade I have the attract mode stuff off. I left the camera activated on, thought it was cute. At first. If Pirates starts doing it at some point. And all future JJP games do it. I may limit it to just the new game.

I love it so it's not getting turned off any time soon.

#9150 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

What version are you running now? V1.5X added a lot of new features to the game. V1.73 makes it near 100% perfect.

Still on 1.57. Waiting for some more user reports that all problems are gone before updating. But if this is really the solution, a full update would be the best for all users.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/183?hl=silverwings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.