IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 273.
#8701 4 years ago

What an incredible game. Even the theater shot. Some people might not like it but I like having to do a little shimmy to save that ball. My game is perfectly level from side to side and I have no problem with drops down the middle. You just have to shim shim shimmy and save that b!tch. Very happy I got a chance to own this game.

#8702 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, i'm a tournament player, may i say quite good (but not as few others here lol)
my DI is set from factory, EXCEPT the SIM carry over from ball to ball
and also check this about the SIM hole protector : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-with-or-without-cliffys-

Thanks! Been thinking about removing that sim protector.. mines original and bent/beat up .. I think I’ll Ofer a cliffy for it. I thought I fixed my phone scoop after bending the sides in more, but rejects seem to have increased from what I initially was seeing so thinking mantis there.

#8703 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Thanks! Been thinking about removing that sim protector.. mines original and bent/beat up .. I think I’ll Ofer a cliffy for it. I thought I fixed my phone scoop after bending the sides in more, but rejects seem to have increased from what I initially was seeing so thinking mantis there.

I think the reason those protectors bent up was because of an initial poor fit. The ball hits the beveled edge (in the picture below) and if it isn't snug against the wood, it will cause the front end of the protector to lift/bend up over time. Don't over-tighten the 2 pointed rubber posts either. Use blue loctite those and the screws on the back deflector plate.

Rob
20190812_000655 (resized).jpg20190812_000655 (resized).jpg

#8704 4 years ago

again, i'm still discovering things with DI

as me, some wanted to have the false spinner situation changed with the magnet under the theatre...
and also to all those having SDTM when ball was caming back...

i know this is not really what we were asking, but in the setup, we can choose to set that magnet on 3 positions, one seems to be a better compromise (TRIAL i think), stoping the ball for collecting the mystery award (but alredy noticed also when THEATRE MULTIBALL, and may be some others things !?)
but almost not more on modes (didnt tested all), as ERUPTION, or EMP... which is more hard for me now, as before ball caming down was easily craddle on a flipper

also noticed (as i've just set them ON) that the drones have little LEDS in them, red & blue... never seen this before
the action is very (very) limited with last code, but OK i understand its to avoid to burn the motors :/

#8705 4 years ago

I have updated to 1.71 and all of the problems spoken about here have manifested... Video Lag and random phone kickout strength. I have also noticed that when the system is busy trying to keep up, the callout voices are sped up. "shoot the theatre" sounds like Alvin the Chipmunks sister. I haven't proven it yet but sometimes the countdown timer during modes seems to run faster than real time. Anyone else notice these things?

I purchased my DISE in Oct 2017 and it was born on 9/26/17.

So I am going to join the CPU upgrade gang to see what happens. Replacing the Celeron G1840 with Intel Core i3-4170 @3.7GHz , CPU PassMark 5192 vs 2859.

cpuinfo (resized).jpgcpuinfo (resized).jpg
#8706 4 years ago

Please post your results when you are done. What made you choose that processor in particular? Good deal on it somewhere?

#8707 4 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Please post your results when you are done. What made you choose that processor in particular? Good deal on it somewhere?

Yup , I chose it because there was a warrantied refurb one on Amazon.ca for $59 CDN. New one is $180

#8708 4 years ago

I had an i5 laying around so I installed it in place of the original Celeron. I was seeing lots of video lag before the change, now everything is perfect. Coils seem to be more consistent as well and my scores are higher, not sure if this is a placebo effect.

IMG_20190810_163913 (resized).jpgIMG_20190810_163913 (resized).jpg
#8709 4 years ago

dont think its placebo if all of you having made the change (and the GPU test) are going in the same way
and the CPU "power" was already the biggest/logical clue BEFORE you starting these changes

than...

#8710 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Yup , I chose it because there was a warrantied refurb one on Amazon.ca for $59 CDN. New one is $180

Link for the cpu on Amazon?

Rob

#8711 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Link for the cpu on Amazon?
Rob

There was only the one used one @$59. New ones are $160 + shipping
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B016YJQU0E/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00

#8712 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

There was only the one used one @$59. New ones are $160 + shipping
amazon.com link »

I found something local. I'll look into that.

Rob

#8713 4 years ago

I installed an i5-4670 3.4 Ghz from eBay in place of my Celeron prior to updating to 1.71 from 1.56. Game seems to boot faster and have not noticed any lag or random coil strength.

#8714 4 years ago
Quoted from gump79:

I installed an i5-4670 3.4 Ghz from eBay in place of my Celeron prior to updating to 1.71 from 1.56. Game seems to boot faster and have not noticed any lag or random coil strength.

Same cpu I have installed.

I had very few soft kick-outs from the phone scoop. But beside this everything is fine.

#8715 4 years ago

If I change the CPU, it boot nicely or I need to do something at the first boot ?

#8716 4 years ago
Quoted from poup:

If I change the CPU, it boot nicely or I need to do something at the first boot ?

You shouldn't have to do anything beyond physically changing the CPU.

#8717 4 years ago

Ok it's like adding DDR

#8718 4 years ago

I am just surprised that there is no response from JJP on this. Neither here nor the google groups. I think there is enough evidence now to point toward the lower processing power of the earlier builds. Either the new OS Kernel changes to support new motherboards introduced a performance issue or the additional animations are taxing the old CPU (or maybe a combo of the two).

People shouldn’t have to buy processor upgrades to get the machine to work as intended.

JJP support has be more than great for me. Just silent on this issue.

#8719 4 years ago

Finally broke 2 mill for the first time ever. All factory settings and factory posts. Got to sim card 5.0. I love this effing game. The details on the phone background change with each sin card. So cool!

20190812_185207 (resized).jpg20190812_185207 (resized).jpg20190812_185419 (resized).jpg20190812_185419 (resized).jpg
#8720 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I have updated to 1.71 and all of the problems spoken about here have manifested... Video Lag and random phone kickout strength. I have also noticed that when the system is busy trying to keep up, the callout voices are sped up. "shoot the theatre" sounds like Alvin the Chipmunks sister. I haven't proven it yet but sometimes the countdown timer during modes seems to run faster than real time. Anyone else notice these things?
I purchased my DISE in Oct 2017 and it was born on 9/26/17.
So I am going to join the CPU upgrade gang to see what happens. Replacing the Celeron G1840 with Intel Core i3-4170 @3.7GHz , CPU PassMark 5192 vs 2859.[quoted image]

I just looked at my game Hardware info. My game is identical to yours except I have 8GB memory and you have 4GB memory. I successfully updated to 1.71-LE with no issues. Maybe you just need another 4GB? (My picture has Device-1 and Device-3 and yours only has Device-1.)

(Also note that I actually smiled in the photo I took for this post as compared to all the stupid pictures of myself with my tongue sticking out for the high scores. My wife tells me I stick out my tongue when I concentrate....)

IMG_2042 (resized).jpegIMG_2042 (resized).jpeg
#8721 4 years ago

My DISE is also an old timer so I reckon I‘ll stick with 1.57 for a while. It‘s pretty excellent as is, so I don‘t really want to mess with it. Maybe JJP will bring out an update for us slowpokes.

In general, though, I think it is awesome that JJP is making thoughts and getting active about implementing different PC hardware systems, thus hopefully ensuring the long term operation and viability of our investments. I imagine it‘s a big job working out drivers, compatibility of different systems, etc. so I‘m happy to give them the time to get the job done right.

#8722 4 years ago

It's really interesting how much the game has changed since the initial Expo reveal. The main music is different (better) and a significant amount of callouts seem to either be re-recorded or just outright changed.

#8723 4 years ago

About time JJP spoke up about the CPU/slowdown issue although if they acknowledge it I guess they'd have to do something about it ( or not! )

#8724 4 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

About time JJP spoke up about the CPU/slowdown issue although if they acknowledge it I guess they'd have to do something about it ( or not! )

This is a tough one, I guess JJP may be trying to figure out their position on this. Yes the older systems (mine included) do have less powerful hardware but isn't this the case with all electronics today? If you buy a new PC or Phone now for the same price as one last year it will generally have newer faster hardware. Perhaps they could offer code updates based on hardware capability.

#8725 4 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I just looked at my game Hardware info. My game is identical to yours except I have 8GB memory and you have 4GB memory. I successfully updated to 1.71-LE with no issues. Maybe you just need another 4GB? (My picture has Device-1 and Device-3 and yours only has Device-1.)
(Also note that I actually smiled in the photo I took for this post as compared to all the stupid pictures of myself with my tongue sticking out for the high scores. My wife tells me I stick out my tongue when I concentrate....)[quoted image]

That's interesting. I have 8GB of 1600Mhz memory laying around. I'll try and just swap it with the existing memory on 1.57 to make sure it works. If so, I'll change it back to original, upgrade to 1.71 to baseline, then upgrade to the new memory to see if it helps at all. (I have the Celeron processor) Swapping memory is much easier than changing a processor so it would be nice if this works.

#8726 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

This is a tough one, I guess JJP may be trying to figure out their position on this. Yes the older systems (mine included) do have less powerful hardware but isn't this the case with all electronics today? If you buy a new PC or Phone now for the same price as one last year it will generally have newer faster hardware. Perhaps they could offer code updates based on hardware capability.

Since they decided to change hardware specs during their production run (fairly significantly, mind you), they should have test machines ready on all configurations to test out any patches, which I'm sure they do. I would bet they they know exactly what the problem is, but don't want to bring attention to the hardware change or be held accountable for any upgrades they already know are required to maintain the performance on the newer config. It's pretty bad, in my opinion and I've lost a lot of faith/respect in JJP since owning DILE. It's a great game, but deserved better delivery.

I have 2 Sterns, 1 Williams and 1 JJP... I've spent 90% of my time on upkeep for the JJP, hardly any on my Sterns. To be fair, JJP is the only NIB I purchased so that may not be a fair comparison.

#8727 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

It's not tough. If you make a CPU change, the "platform" should change. For example: Stern has developed many platforms over the years with different board sets....Whitestar, SAM, Spike-1, Spike-2. From what I have seen, when Stern manufactures a game, all versions of the game confirm to a platform/CPU (no deviation). This greatly simplifies testing the software.

I'm kind of shocked that all DI's don't have the same platform/CPU. Bummer for us and JJP. The code needs to be tested on all the processors. Releasing different code for different processors is a maintenance nightmare and I'm sure a situation JJP would like to avoid!

#8728 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's not tough. If you make a CPU change, the "platform" should change. For example: Stern has developed many platforms over the years with different board sets....Whitestar, SAM, Spike-1, Spike-2.

Apples and oranges, JJPs base is commercial off the shelf hardware and Linux O/S and as such it is infinitely more adaptable. Code testing requirements on compatible hardware would be minimal. I for one am happy that I can upgrade my hardware, which means if they have the inclination to keep updating the game software I will be able to take advantage of it. After all one of the biggest bitches about Stern is their lack of code updates.

#8729 4 years ago

If the new code does in fact require a hardware upgrade... I wish that JJP would atleast publish a factory recommended part and supplier.

I'm wanting to order a upgrade off Amazon, but am sitting tight hoping for an official JJP statement.

Brian

#8730 4 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

Apples and oranges, JJPs base is commercial off the shelf hardware and Linux O/S and as such it is infinitely more adaptable. Code testing requirements on compatible hardware would be minimal. I for one am happy that I can upgrade my hardware, which means if they have the inclination to keep updating the game software I will be able to take advantage of it. After all one of the biggest bitches about Stern is they're lack of code updates.

Code updates have nothing to do with this issue. I worked in the tech/software industry for 25 years and know something about what I’m talking about.

I love that JJP builds atop general purpose hardware/software. JJP shipping different CPU’s and having the user “upgrade” are 2 different things. If both are JJP design points, then they need to be very explicit on what the software requires. Incompatible software with a user upgraded CPU is a much different issue than JJP not testing on CPU’s they are shipping.

#8731 4 years ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

If the new code does in fact require a hardware upgrade... I wish that JJP would atleast publish a factory recommended part and supplier.
I'm wanting to order a upgrade off Amazon, but am sitting right hoping for an official JJP statement.
Brian

BINGO!

#8732 4 years ago

For $9,500 I should not have to buy a DAMN THING!

#8733 4 years ago

How many people have actually reached out to JJP regarding this?

#8734 4 years ago

Down in Seaside Heights on vacation, got in touch with the factory, getting a tour tomorrow morning.

#8735 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I left another voice mail about 2 hours ago...

Brian

#8736 4 years ago

Still on 1.57 I think. That seems to be pretty good! Waiting to see this cleared up before I go further.....

#8737 4 years ago

a bit more to this story...

and OH DEAR !

well, for those who watched my video posted 1 or 2 pages before, i thought i really have a prob on the main screen...

and than : remember few ago when we've checked the BIOS (to only tweaks few things finally without importance), my son said : strange, there's no FAN in the monitoring (was at 0 RPM), and the CELERON is at 70° C idle... may be the monitoring is faulty !?... and we didnt go further that day

today, my son really wanted to test the DUAL CHANNEL with 2 good CORSAIR RAM (2x2 Gigas)
and when we open the PC box, for the 1st time since we own the pin...

HALLELUJAH

things became clear : a cable was serting on a fan pall, blocking it to start moving !!! (btw, no bip error !!!???)
redoing a correct cable management, FAN go on his way, and the 70° C became 35° ... and this time monitoring was all "normal"

and than, in gameplay : all the animations on the main screen are now perfect, no more lag, no more stutter, nothing, even when i'm playing stacked multiballs and shooting all balls without craddling, playing multiple animations in the following
only the phone still show some minors latency (the badest ACID RAIN), but not as before

CONCLUSION :

PC power seems to be the key, that means all hardware parts you can tweak to better means the better the pin will play, while CPU is the main piece in this case...
but in my case, quite sure the CELERON was thermal throtling (luckily we never reached max temp/had a freeze)

i'm not saying you to check your PC box, quite sure it was just bad luck in my case, but...

now i'm really happy, i can deal on how my pin is playing now

#8738 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Don't know. My DILE is remote, so I am unable to test/debug the latest/greatest software while I'm away from it.

I just noticed all the activity on this thread and learned about apparent CPU compatibility issues. If multiple CPU types were used, JJP needs to test on all of them. At a minimum, JJP should disclose what CPU types are tested (and reach out to the community to complete the testing, if necessary).

One thing is clear to me: Having end users replace CPU's to fix software bugs is ludicrous. Based on what I've read in this thread, that appears to be happening?

#8739 4 years ago

Yeah if it can be fixed via software that would be great.. but it could be a while if that ever happens.

Anyone recommend a good 2x 4gb ddr3 memory to go in mine? I have the early build with Celeron and 4gb of memory..if it’s not too $$ id like to try going to 8gb to test difference

#8740 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah if it can be fixed via software that would be great.. but it could be a while if that ever happens.
Anyone recommend a good 2x 4gb ddr3 memory to go in mine? I have the early build with Celeron and 4gb of memory..if it’s not too $$ id like to try going to 8gb to test difference

I wld also like to try this

#8741 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

This was the first thing I tried to no avail. CPU upgrade was the only fix on mine.

#8742 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindropper:

This was the first thing I tried to no avail. CPU upgrade was the only fix on mine.

Damn! All right cpu fix it is. I’ve not noticed the video lag but erratic coils are driving me nuts

#8743 4 years ago

After several boot ups and a lot of games with the upgraded cpu:

No video delay at all
Still some coil strength issues, bit very seldom and most if a lot of other coils or magnets are firing. I.e. during multiballs or when flipping the fingers during ohone kick-out... nothing compared to the situation with the slow celeron, but still not perfect. In rare situations it still is weak even without anything else going on. But not as much as with the old cpu.

As it was perfect with v1.57 my conclusion is: videos are a subject of cpu power. Coil strength has another root cause, but is covered somehow with a stronger cpu.

#8744 4 years ago

and here's the mega-super-secret-skillshot : perfectly landed over the gate !!!

WP_20190814_11_46_49_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20190814_11_46_49_Pro (resized).jpg

WP_20190814_11_47_04_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20190814_11_47_04_Pro (resized).jpg

(in fact, not to hard to block ball there, as its simply a bouncing ball from the upper playfield)

#8745 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

a bit more to this story...
and OH DEAR !
well, for those who watched my video posted 1 or 2 pages before, i thought i really have a prob on the main screen...
and than : remember few ago when we've checked the BIOS (to only tweaks few things finally without importance), my son said : strange, there's no FAN in the monitoring (was at 0 RPM), and the CELERON is at 70° C idle... may be the monitoring is faulty !?... and we didnt go further that day
today, my son really wanted to test the DUAL CHANNEL with 2 good CORSAIR RAM (2x2 Gigas)
and when we open the PC box, for the 1st time since we own the pin...
HALLELUJAH
things became clear : a cable was serting on a fan pall, blocking it to start moving !!! (btw, no bip error !!!???)
redoing a correct cable management, FAN go on his way, and the 70° C became 35° ... and this time monitoring was all "normal"
and than, in gameplay : all the animations on the main screen are now perfect, no more lag, no more stutter, nothing, even when i'm playing stacked multiballs and shooting all balls without craddling, playing multiple animations in the following
only the phone still show some minors latency (the badest ACID RAIN), but not as before
CONCLUSION :
PC power seems to be the key, that means all hardware parts you can tweak to better means the better the pin will play, while CPU is the main piece in this case...
but in my case, quite sure the CELERON was thermal throtling (luckily we never reached max temp/had a freeze)
i'm not saying you to check your PC box, quite sure it was just bad luck in my case, but...
now i'm really happy, i can deal on how my pin is playing now

I suspected that overheating could cause speed reduction of the CPU. I once experienced this myself in a virtual pinball build with the same problem, as soon as I replaced the CPU cooler with a more efficient one, all was well again.

#8746 4 years ago

So, updated the CPU to an i5 -4670K, no lag, no coil issues and then this happened first game. Coincidence?

2019-08-14 14.29.30 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 14.29.30 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.20.42 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.20.42 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.21.07 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.21.07 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.32.01 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.32.01 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.32.03 (resized).jpg2019-08-14 15.32.03 (resized).jpg
#8747 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

So, updated the CPU to an i5 -4670K, no lag, no coil issues and then this happened first game. Coincidence?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is the same CPU cooling fan adequate?
Nice score.

#8748 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

So, updated the CPU to an i5 -4670K, no lag, no coil issues and then this happened first game. Coincidence?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dang, I need one of those processors.

Out of curiosity, do you have SIM card rollover set?

#8749 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Is the same CPU cooling fan adequate?
Nice score.

Same fan. The one that came with the new i5 processor in the box was identical

#8750 4 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

Dang, I need one of those processors.
Out of curiosity, do you have SIM card rollover set?

Yes, although it doesn't help much I find it frustrating without

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,640 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/175?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.