IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,630 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 273.
#7251 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, so you are thinking if I raise the switch vertically it would improve switch hit success?
From your posts a year ago, it looks like your ball issue was mainly fixed by moving the wireframe.
My current theory is that its a problem with the fast moving balls going airborne off the ramp but of course I could be wrong.
If I am wrong...and it is just the ball is moving too fast for the switch to get compressed enough to register...if I move it up vertically it would hit more of the ball surface, though also increase the chance of pushing the ball out of the wireframe...

Correct...the wireframe was my main problem (found using slo-mo video). Tweaking/raising the switch was still useful to avoid the switch hitting the lock nut.

If you can capture the ball jumping the switch with video, you can determine the root cause. In your case, my gut says the plastic ramp leading to the wireform needs to be adjusted.

#7252 5 years ago

So is 1.61 doa, or is there another fix coming?

#7253 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Correct...the wireframe was my main problem (found using slo-mo video). Tweaking/raising the switch was still useful to avoid the switch hitting the lock nut.
If you can capture the ball jumping the switch with video, you can determine the root cause. In your case, my gut says the plastic ramp leading to the wireform needs to be adjusted.

Ok, here we go.

Here are two vids of a normal moving shot up the right orbit/ramp.

Side view:

Straight on:

And...a really fast moving ball.
Side view Fast moving ball:

Straight on Fast Moving ball:

Basically...yeah, the ball is getting airborne and actually bouncing a bit when it hits the ramp then going OVER the switch.

In the past...I was having an issue with a fast moving ball going into the left orbit lane....because it was hitting the metal flap in front of the ramp, getting airborne, and going into the left orbit. I fixed that by making a smooth transition with electrical tape. ->
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/132#post-4742656

Its possible that the ramp is still not smooth enough so its still getting airborne a bit from the ramp entry. Not sure of another solution.

This slight issue isn't a dealbreaker….90+% of right ramp shots are still registering correctly. Its just those balls that have some speed on them already, get hit by the flipper, go up the ramp perfectly so its nice and smooth....those are the problem ones. Which is unfortunate...because the smoothest/fastest/most satisfying shots up the ramp don't register 100%.

#7254 5 years ago

Could this be fixed by the "taping down entry flap" issue as seen in this thread (vireland?)?
It's def airborne before is comes around that corner

#7255 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, here we go.
Side view:
Straight on:
Basically...yeah, the ball is getting airborne and actually bouncing a bit when it hits the ramp then going OVER the switch.
In the past...I was having an issue with a fast moving ball going into the left orbit lane....because it was hitting the metal flap in front of the ramp, getting airborne, and going into the left orbit. I fixed that by making a smooth transition with electrical tape. ->
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/132#post-4742656
Its possible that the ramp is still not smooth enough so its still getting airborne a bit from the ramp entry. Not sure of another solution.
This slight issue isn't a dealbreaker….90+% of right ramp shots are still registering correctly. Its just those balls that have some speed on them already, get hit by the flipper, go up the ramp perfectly so its nice and smooth....those are the problem ones. Which is unfortunate...because the smoothest/fastest/most satisfying shots up the ramp don't register 100%.

Have you tried adding a piece of felt tape to the side entrance of the ramp? I did, and it slows down the ball just enough. Somewhere in this thread someone posted pictures of where to put it. It is probably a key post.

(Apologies if you already mentioned that you tried this. I get lost in these lengthy threads sometimes.)

#7256 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Have you tried adding a piece of felt tape to the side entrance of the ramp? I did, and it slows down the ball just enough. Somewhere in this thread someone posted pictures of where to put it. It is probably a key post.
(Apologies if you already mentioned that you tried this. I get lost in these lengthy threads sometimes.)

Yeah, I know...this is a large thread. I did mention this in my post ->

But yes, I did do the felt, and switched to the tape since it seemed to fix the airball problem more than the felt. Looks like I'm still getting lift on the ball with very fast balls and now its just manifesting in a different way (bouncing over the switch instead of going into the left orbit).

#7257 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Yeah, I know...this is a large thread. I did mention this in my post ->

But yes, I did do the felt, and switched to the tape since it seemed to fix the airball problem more than the felt. Looks like I'm still getting lift on the ball with very fast balls and now its just manifesting in a different way (bouncing over the switch instead of going into the left orbit).

Perhaps turn your flipper power down a tad on the left flipper and put the felt back on? That airballs looked pretty severe.

Great videos by the way. It really shows what exactly is happening.

#7258 5 years ago

I have had my game only a week now. Loving it. Couple of questions. Every time I hit the flipper buttons I am awarded 10 points. Is that supposed to happen? Doesn't seem right. Also, why no extra ball insert? I find this odd as well or am I missing something. Took me awhile to figure out which shot awarded the extra ball.

Thanks

Gerry

#7259 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I have had my game only a week now. Loving it. Couple of questions. Every time I hit the flipper buttons I am awarded 10 points. Is that supposed to happen? Doesn't seem right. Also, why no extra ball insert? I find this odd as well or am I missing something. Took me awhile to figure out which shot awarded the extra ball.
Thanks
Gerry

Extra ball is a BOB award, left orbit. The light for EB is on the BOB stand up above the BOB targets, it is faced away from players to avoid a ball trap so it’s easy to miss. I believe yellow is the EB color so if you see that on the stand up sign hit that orbit.

#7260 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Extra ball is a BOB award, left orbit. The light for EB is on the BOB stand up above the BOB targets, it is faced away from players to avoid a ball trap so it’s easy to miss. I believe yellow is the EB color so if you see that on the stand up sign hit that orbit.

Thankfully the LEDs are on the front sign. The crazy Bob's sign that is facing away from the player doesn't have any LEDs on it. I recommend the mezel mods kit that separates the two signs and makes them both face the player. Plus both of them are backlit as well

#7261 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I have had my game only a week now. Loving it. Couple of questions. Every time I hit the flipper buttons I am awarded 10 points. Is that supposed to happen?.

Go into switch test mode and press your flipper buttons and see which other switch is registering. You probably need to just adjust a leaf switch somewhere that is making contact and giving you the points

#7262 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Thankfully the LEDs are on the front sign. The crazy Bob's sign that is facing away from the player doesn't have any LEDs on it. I recommend the mezel mods kit that separates the two signs and makes them both face the player. Plus both of them are backlit as well

How’s the install on that? No ball traps? I think my LEDs are in the wrong position so I go by color but I’d like to switch it out and swing it around.

#7263 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

How’s the install on that? No ball traps? I think my LEDs are in the wrong position so I go by color but I’d like to switch it out and swing it around.

Easy. No ball traps so far. I asked mezel to send me an inline dimmer for it too

20190216_122651 (resized).jpg20190216_122651 (resized).jpg20190216_122658 (resized).jpg20190216_122658 (resized).jpg
#7264 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Ok, here we go.
Side view:
Straight on:

Great job capturing the ball hopping over the switch! Trust me, I know how difficult those videos can be

Have you seen this post? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-right-orbitramp-ball-rejects

Your problem looks like a variation of the problem in my post. Your ball is likely tripping over the thick metal flap and going airborne. In my case it was smacking the edge of the guide (as shown in the post above). In your case, it looks like it's clearing the edge and just following the guide without any contact with the ramp.

#7265 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Thanks
Gerry

Go into switch test mode and bang around your playfield with your fist. The vibration of the flippers is likely triggering a switch that is gapped too close. This will help you find it.

#7266 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Great job capturing the ball hopping over the switch! Trust me, I know how difficult those videos can be
Have you seen this post? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-right-orbitramp-ball-rejects
Your problem looks like a variation of the problem in my post. Your ball is likely tripping over the thick metal flap and going airborne. In my case it was smacking the edge of the guide (as shown in the post above). In your case, it looks like it's clearing the edge and just following the guide without any contact with the ramp.

Yeah, but I already did the vinyl fix (I was previously getting a worse problem with the ball going airborne from hitting the metal flap and then either going into the left orbit or getting bounced back when hitting the wall (like in the thread you linked to)).

Its possible I just need to redo my vinyl ramp....make it longer, or smoother or ...just try again and see if I get less ball "loft" on fast balls.

#7267 5 years ago

I looked at the original blue vinyl tape fix and noticed how he built up the tape a bit. I followed suit. If my ball is getting airborne, it’s a half inch earlier. Bonus if it’s smooth. Haven’t had a reject on a flipper shot since (had a couple though on ball launch). My daughter has cool purple spider duct tape. I put that over clear scotch tape for clean removal option.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7268 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Yeah, but I already did the vinyl fix (I was previously getting a worse problem with the ball going airborne from hitting the metal flap and then either going into the left orbit or getting bounced back when hitting the wall (like in the thread you linked to)).
Its possible I just need to redo my vinyl ramp....make it longer, or smoother or ...just try again and see if I get less ball "loft" on fast balls.

Correct...I believe you need to fiddle with the vinyl ramp. Took me a few tries before I had it dialed in...

#7269 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Correct...I believe you need to fiddle with the vinyl ramp. Took me a few tries before I had it dialed in...

Alright... I think you are correct. I'll try again and see if I can't make my transition a bit smoother and see if that helps.

I also joined the mantis club!

20190216_160516 (resized).jpg20190216_160516 (resized).jpg

I also put some mylar pieces in front of it. I can already tell a big difference with my scoop rejects....much more satisfying to aim for now!

I believe you had previously said the hardest part of the mantis install was getting the old cliffy off. But for me...removing the phone scoop mechanism was the hardest. It was just so awkward with the wire bundle behind it, even after removing the wire bundle from the wire holders and disconnecting a few wires. Just really tight. Actually...the hardest part was trying to get the phone scoop back in place, not removing it.

But, I got it in. And...look what I found in the scoop!

20190216_160658 (resized).jpg20190216_160658 (resized).jpg

Its the trapdoor flap that broke off from the original trapdoor. It had made its way around all the way to sit in the scoop!

#7270 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Alright... I think you are correct. I'll try again and see if I can't make my transition a bit smoother and see if that helps.
I also joined the mantis club!
[quoted image]
I also put some mylar pieces in front of it. I can already tell a big difference with my scoop rejects....much more satisfying to aim for now!
I believe you had previously said the hardest part of the mantis install was getting the old cliffy off. But for me...removing the phone scoop mechanism was the hardest. It was just so awkward with the wire bundle behind it, even after removing the wire bundle from the wire holders and disconnecting a few wires. Just really tight. Actually...the hardest part was trying to get the phone scoop back in place, not removing it.
But, I got it in. And...look what I found in the scoop!
[quoted image]
Its the trapdoor flap that broke off from the original trapdoor. It had made its way around all the way to sit in the scoop!

That's gonna be worth a lot of money one day!

#7271 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I have had my game only a week now. Loving it. Couple of questions. Every time I hit the flipper buttons I am awarded 10 points. Is that supposed to happen?

i'll bet on 1 of the drones...

#7272 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Also, why no extra ball insert? I find this odd as well or am I missing something. Took me awhile to figure out which shot awarded the extra ball

(now you've got it) but quite easy after few games & with the BOB insert :

green : 1st lock possible
blue : alternative BOB mission
red : alternative BOB multiball
yellow : add multiplicator X
and orange : extra ball

#7273 5 years ago

Did anybody manage to get all DIALED IN letters in a game? Most was 3 letters here...

#7274 5 years ago

better i get is making D I A L E D while I N was blinking & ready to grab...

here, showdown reached (!!! spoiler !!!) :

#7275 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

Did anybody manage to get all DIALED IN letters in a game? Most was 3 letters here...

I've gotten it once, but I average 3-4 per game.

I have SIM card carry over, though.

#7276 5 years ago

I've spelled DIALED and had the 'I' ready to collect. I've beaten 9 modes a couple times or so but have never been able to collect all the letters.

I have SIM Card carryover off. It wouldn't be easy even with carryover on but it would definitely be easier.

#7277 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Go into switch test mode and bang around your playfield with your fist. The vibration of the flippers is likely triggering a switch that is gapped too close. This will help you find it.

It was the drone switch. Adjusted and no longer get flipper points.

Thanks

Gerry

#7278 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

i'll bet on 1 of the drones...

winner !!!

#7279 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I've made it to showdown mode twice. Both times I had the sim card memory feature enabled, and would not have made it otherwise. Enabling sim card memory should have been the default.

#7280 5 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I've made it to showdown mode twice. Both times I had the sim card memory feature enabled, and would not have made it otherwise. Enabling sim card memory should have been the default.

Couldn't agree more. I've never made it. I think I've collected 4-5 SIM Cards max. Game is still kicking my butt. The phone scoop is a tight/frustrating shot (and I have a Mantis protector installed). For me, DI is a deceptively tough game. Recently, I've been struggling to get north of 1M. My other games are being much nicer to me

#7281 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Couldn't agree more. I've never made it. I think I've collected 4-5 SIM Cards max. Game is still kicking my butt. The phone scoop is a tight/frustrating shot (and I have a Mantis protector installed). For me, DI is a deceptively tough game. Recently, I've been struggling to get north of 1M. My other games are being much nicer to me

Same here...

#7282 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

... And...look what I found in the scoop!

i'm in the "trapdoor flap broken" club... :/
still need to found it

#7283 5 years ago

Finally got up to 6 letters yesterday! A personal high for me.

20190217_142516 (resized).jpg20190217_142516 (resized).jpg

I think around...letter 5 or 6 the special outlane light lit up.

First thing....I'm not sure how it was switching from left to right outlane, as I don't think it was moving via flipper flips (I was "in the zone" at the time so could be wrong).

Second...I did actually drain and have it rollover the lit lane, but...nothing really happened? I thought I would get an extra ball or something. The wiki doesn't have any mention of the special lights either ->

http://tiltforums.com/t/dialed-in-rulesheet-wiki/2855

Anyone know if these are actually used?

#7284 5 years ago

I think I remember a setting to choose the award for special. If set to credit in combination with free play it would be useless... set it to extra ball and you get a valuable award...

#7285 5 years ago

ok folks,
what's your strategy for getting a million points on this game? Struggling to beat that number.

#7286 5 years ago

there are multiple strategies to get a million plus.

Still my favorite: go for modes. Win the modes and get the sim card. Avoid to lock the ball after the first mode and try to get delay the multiball as long as possible start it during a hard mode while allready some sim cards collected. A SIM card is worth 100k. A mode with SIM card mutliplier is worth some 100ks. So a millian is easy to reach after one or two SIMs collected.

#7287 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

ok folks,
what's your strategy for getting a million points on this game? Struggling to beat that number.

Try and ensure Big Bang is lit as often as possible, as soon as you start a mode hit the Big Bang target.
As the targets to light Big Bang are near the SIM card scoop often get a bounce into there as well.

Keep kickback lit by hitting B-O-B targets, which also lights award at left orbit, the mini multiballs can be worth some good points, as well as another opportunity to light SIM cards.

Try to only ever start a multiball with a mode running, then concentrate on the mode, not the jackpots.

#7288 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Try and ensure Big Bang is lit as often as possible, as soon as you start a mode hit the Big Bang target.
As the targets to light Big Bang are near the SIM card scoop often get a bounce into there as well.
Keep kickback lit by hitting B-O-B targets, which also lights award at left orbit, the mini multiballs can be worth some good points, as well as another opportunity to light SIM cards.
Try to only ever start a multiball with a mode running, then concentrate on the mode, not the jackpots.

If you have sim cards and you complete a mode with Big Bang, you dont get awarded points for shots completed in that mode. I usually keep Big Bang available for modes that I find to be too difficult and leave it for a last second shot to complete the mode, otherwise i would forfeit the mode. With sim cards collected, you want to make shots in the mode as you get the shot value multiplied by the number of sim cards. With even 1 or 2 sim cards collected, a mode completion can be upwards of 500K+.

Definitely try to stack modes with MB and/or lit sim cards. Modes that I like to stack with MB are Meteor and Acid Rain.

#7289 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

If you have sim cards and you complete a mode with Big Bang, you dont get awarded points for shots completed in that mode. I usually keep Big Bang available for modes that I find to be too difficult and leave it for a last second shot to complete the mode, otherwise i would forfeit the mode. With sim cards collected, you want to make shots in the mode as you get the shot value multiplied by the number of sim cards. With even 1 or 2 sim cards collected, a mode completion can be upwards of 500K+.
Definitely try to stack modes with MB and/or lit sim cards. Modes that I like to stack with MB are Meteor and Acid Rain.

you do get multiplied points for modes with cards collected. even using big bang, but you only get that for the ones you manually completed. If it take 5 shots for the mode you are in and you big bang immediately you get no multiplied points. if you make 3 shots then big bang for the last two, you would get the multiplier on the first 3.

#7290 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

you do get multiplied points for modes with cards collected. even using big bang, but you only get that for the ones you manually completed. If it take 5 shots for the mode you are in and you big bang immediately you get no multiplied points. if you make 3 shots then big bang for the last two, you would get the multiplier on the first 3.

Yes agreed. From the other post saying to light Big Bang, start a mode, then shoot it as soon as possible, you wouldn't get multiplied points for shots made in that mode, so you wouldn't maximize points. I was just pointing that out.

#7291 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes agreed. From the other post saying to light Big Bang, start a mode, then shoot it as soon as possible, you wouldn't get multiplied points for shots made in that mode, so you wouldn't maximize points. I was just pointing that out.

But you would complete the mode, light a SIM card and move closer to Chaos Multiball.

If the target is to break 1 Million, I think we can assume that this player isn't blowing the game up, maxing scores and completing modes 'manually', or there wouldn't be the request for advice.

Getting SIM cards lit - and then collected - is the key to big scores. It's unlikely that Big Bang is going to be lit at the start of every mode anyway, so mode shots will naturally occur. Finishing a mode and moving on to the next is the optimum route to maxing scores if your ball times are expected to be short.

Strategy is totally different if you want to MAX out your scores and are confident of keeping the ball alive and hitting your shots;
such as boosting the mode scores up to 200% by hitting the QED before starting a mode;
Actively going for Kilowatts, Spiders, Drones, and Transit to get to Quantum Theatre Multiball;
Stacking multiballs, etc.

#7292 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

agreed, not getting any shots made is a sure way to keep scores low.

#7293 5 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

How do you hit the lower B-O-B target? I think, it's just luck on my machine, not possible to hit directly...

#7294 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:i'm in the "trapdoor flap broken" club... :/
still need to found it

better now with the good pic...

trapdoor (resized).jpgtrapdoor (resized).jpg

#7295 5 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

How do you hit the lower B-O-B target? I think, it's just luck on my machine, not possible to hit directly...

indeed... as said by someone else before, seems physically impossible with a flipper shot... a right slingshot rebound most of the time

#7296 5 years ago

I do not fully understand the "Lite Drones" rollover at the left inlane. It blinks almost the entire time but one the other side the drone target is lit anyway. As soon as the drone target is not lit anymore, the "Lite Drones" insert also is not lit anymore. When the ball rolls over it it does not do anything, shouldn't it light the next light at the drone delivery progress? Is there a reason for that? What's the trick? First I thought the rollover is not working but I tried it in switch test and it works perfectly...

#7297 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I do not fully understand the "Lite Drones" rollover at the left inlane. It blinks almost the entire time but one the other side the drone target is lit anyway. As soon as the drone target is not lit anymore, the "Lite Drones" insert also is not lit anymore. When the ball rolls over it it does not do anything, shouldn't it light the next light at the drone delivery progress? Is there a reason for that? What's the trick? First I thought the rollover is not working but I tried it in switch test and it works perfectly...

if lite drones is lit and you roll over it, the drone spot target is active, hitting it then will complete the drone lights, rather than having to hit the drone switches numerous times.

#7298 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

if lite drones is lit and you roll over it, the drone spot target is active, hitting it then will complete the drone lights, rather than having to hit the drone switches numerous times.

I still do not understand. When the ball rolls over the left inlane "Lite Drones" rollover, it does not show any reaction in my opinion. Shouldn't there be any visual or audio feedback when it rolls over it? It feels like it does nothing (at least when not hitting the drone target right after it).

#7299 5 years ago
Quoted from ClarkKent:

I still do not understand. When the ball rolls over the left inlane "Lite Drones" rollover, it does not show any reaction in my opinion. Shouldn't there be any visual or audio feedback when it rolls over it? It feels like it does nothing (at least when not hitting the drone target right after it).

if I recall, the whole array of drone lights will pulse after hitting the lit rollover. Hitting the standup then collects them all, allowing a drone pickup at the theater. its essentially a hurry up. if you don't hit it quick it goes away.

#7300 5 years ago

thanks, I just get the sim shot announcement then drain LOL.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 13,630 posts in this topic. You are on page 146 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/146?hl=marvin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.