IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 273.
#5501 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Help me understand how Keith’s games are different from a mode-driven game? I am familiar with TH, WOZ, LOTR, etc but these all seem like mode based games to me

Mode-driven games, to me, are games where you have to complete a set of modes to make progression through the game to get to the final wizard mode. Looking at B/W games, Lawlor games specifically, if we look at TAF, TZ, Roadshow (just the first few that pop into my mind), you have to qualify a mode, start a mode, then rinse and repeat to get to the final wizard mode. Yeah, there are mulitballs, quick mulitballs, other "side" modes, but they don't necessarily give you progress through the game. If you think about TZ, you have the door panels. As long as you light them all, you'll get to LITZ. You have the main mulitball and the Powerball multiball. You could play those 2 multiballs all day without progression. Or you could play directly for door panels to get to LITZ.

If you think about LOTR for example, it has a much larger ruleset than TZ. Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with the ruleset, but from what I understand, there are several different objectives that you need to get in order to get the the final wizard mode. There are the 3 multiballs (from each of the movies), there are the ring modes, the gift of the elves (each requiring a different objective be met) etc. I'm not sure you could call those "modes" (some are modes, some are shoot X, Y, Z). Look at WoZ. I think in one of Keefer's interviews, he said that WoZ was LOTR 2.0, and just beyond the modes in that game, there are a plethora of other objectives to reach in order to get to Somewhere over the Rainbow.

I guess one could argue that the objective in Keefer's games could be considered modes. For me, it's more like ticking off a checklist of items before getting to a final wizard mode, where as, for more mode-driven games, there are actual modes that once you qualify, not necessarily complete, you'll get to a final wizard mode. I understand that with DI, you have to collect Sim card in order to get to Showdown, but that seems like a pittance compared to Keefer's ruleset lol.

#5502 5 years ago

I also think of games that allow and reward for stacking of modes/features and those that don’t. WOZ is all about stacking. DI has almost no reward for stacking, though it sometimes helps to stack a particular mode with a MB. From what I’ve seen about JJPOTC, it is also heavily about stacking, though I haven’t played it enough to say for sure.

#5503 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I spent my afternoon today drinking beer (I like beer!) and adding LED strips to the back box. It turned out great! It was easy, but took awhile. Again, beer. The tranlite art on this game is awesome. Who would've thought? Check it out!
[quoted image]

There was a diy thread on this a while back, it's a nice modification. For those not inclined to diy, we offer the mod on our site and I think in our pinside shop. A bit labor intensive, but not too bad.

#5504 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Mode-driven games, to me, are games where you have to complete a set of modes to make progression through the game to get to the final wizard mode. Looking at B/W games, Lawlor games specifically, if we look at TAF, TZ, Roadshow (just the first few that pop into my mind), you have to qualify a mode, start a mode, then rinse and repeat to get to the final wizard mode. Yeah, there are mulitballs, quick mulitballs, other "side" modes, but they don't necessarily give you progress through the game. If you think about TZ, you have the door panels. As long as you light them all, you'll get to LITZ. You have the main mulitball and the Powerball multiball. You could play those 2 multiballs all day without progression. Or you could play directly for door panels to get to LITZ.
If you think about LOTR for example, it has a much larger ruleset than TZ. Admittedly, I'm not super familiar with the ruleset, but from what I understand, there are several different objectives that you need to get in order to get the the final wizard mode. There are the 3 multiballs (from each of the movies), there are the ring modes, the gift of the elves (each requiring a different objective be met) etc. I'm not sure you could call those "modes" (some are modes, some are shoot X, Y, Z). Look at WoZ. I think in one of Keefer's interviews, he said that WoZ was LOTR 2.0, and just beyond the modes in that game, there are a plethora of other objectives to reach in order to get to Somewhere over the Rainbow.
I guess one could argue that the objective in Keefer's games could be considered modes. For me, it's more like ticking off a checklist of items before getting to a final wizard mode, where as, for more mode-driven games, there are actual modes that once you qualify, not necessarily complete, you'll get to a final wizard mode. I understand that with DI, you have to collect Sim card in order to get to Armageddon, but that seems like a pittance compared to Keefer's ruleset lol.

So if I’m breaking this down; the difference to you is that a “mode based game” requires starting each mode, but not necessarily completing them to get the final wizard mode - and the more complex games (LOTR/WOZ, et al) require completing stuff in order to do so?

LOTR is based on “collecting” things - getting the rings lit, completing the battles, etc. (Are we considering Valinor or Destroy the Ring as “completing” the game?) This is also how TH works.

DI is more of the Addams/Twilight where you are starting each mode to progress, but must collect the SIM cards to get to the final mode. IMO if we are basing purely on variety, TH offers the most - you have the same basic 5 things required for each stage/movie, but the Smaug Multiball and the modes themselves
Offer a huge variety of challenges. Smaug, which also offers its own unique build-up in order to actually kill him, changes as you progress through the game. Mode inside-a-mode, if you will. The collect-the-dwarves and Beast modes are relatively consistent as you progress.

DI has another code update coming soon, but I doubt it will change the rule set drastically - I really enjoy the fairly linear progression, and the inclusion of all the video game sensibilities (bosses, mini bosses, etc), but I have to balance it with other games. I love DI but have not played it in a month after getting to Showdown. Then Pinball happened

#5505 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So if I’m breaking this down; the difference to you is that a “mode based game” requires starting each mode, but not necessarily completing them to get the final wizard mode - and the more complex games (LOTR/WOZ, et al) require completing stuff in order to do so?
LOTR is based on “collecting” things - getting the rings lit, completing the battles, etc. (Are we considering Valinor or Destroy the Ring as “completing” the game?) This is also how TH works.
DI is more of the Addams/Twilight where you are starting each mode to progress, but must collect the SIM cards to get to the final mode. IMO if we are basing purely on variety, TH offers the most - you have the same basic 5 things required for each stage/movie, but the Smaug Multiball and the modes themselves
Offer a huge variety of challenges. Smaug, which also offers its own unique build-up in order to actually kill him, changes as you progress through the game. Mode inside-a-mode, if you will. The collect-the-dwarves and Beast modes are relatively consistent as you progress.
DI has another code update coming soon, but I doubt it will change the rule set drastically - I really enjoy the fairly linear progression, and the inclusion of all the video game sensibilities (bosses, mini bosses, etc), but I have to balance it with other games. I love DI but have not played it in a month after getting to Showdown. Then Pinball happened

I think we're on the same page, right? lol

Take TWD for example, a Lyman coded game. There are several different objectives you can choose to complete, each route leading to its own reward. Horde is attained by lighting all the Weapons via "Multikills" which can be lit in a variety of ways. Siege is attained by getting 12 jackpots during Prison Multiball. Last Man Standing is attained by getting 115 walker kills during the game. Terminus is achieved by lighting all 5 modes. Each of these objectives can be attained independently or in-tandem with each other, but do not rely purely on modes, ala DI. I think this is a good mix of not too simple (Tour the Mansion) but not too difficult (Valinor), with several different routes and strategies a player can take.

#5506 5 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The connection with the purple wires can't be turned around. I tried to trace them back and the manual confirms on page D105 that they go to the main PCB board J604. All of those functions work with volume and turning off the cabinet speakers when the headphone jack is installed. The headphone connection for sound is JAUD1 on the CPU board. That connection is good on both ends. Still not working, but found a potentially bigger problem. I found where that electrical connector probably goes this upper switch for the door closing fell apart. I have no idea how this goes back together or what it is for. Any ideas? I unscrewed it from the cabinet to try to figure it out.
[quoted image]

Quoted from LTG:

High power interlock switch. It's done.
To get by until you get a new switch, you can short the two blue wires to each other. And short the red wires to each other. Be careful because then high power will always be on when the game is turned one.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

I bought a new interlock switch from JJP parts department and installed it. I see the problem with what caused it. The bracket is installed too close to the door opening and the switch was/is bottoming out. See the attached video and the new switch is actually starting to break apart again by showing this. To solve it I removed the top bracket screw, slightly loosened the bottom screw, closed the door, bottomed out the switch against the door, drilled a shallow small pilot hole through the bracket hole, then inserted the top screw and snugged. All fixed … screw hole moved about 1/16". I advise everyone to take a look at your JJP pins the next time you pop up the playfield to make sure the top interlock switch isn't bottoming out like mine was. The top one bottoms out before the bottom switch.

#5507 5 years ago

Great news! I've got the new Mezel Mods topper waiting for me at home. Once I'm back home I will install it and post some pics.
I also got an email from JJP today saying my manual was shipped!
Yes yes yes!

#5508 5 years ago

Moving my DILE to my new house today. I have it on the market but might just keep it as I really need to delve into it more.

I have a set of mirror blades for it uninstalled. I’ve put blades on before. Anything special to note if I decide to do the installation?

#5509 5 years ago

My sub must have just broken in, but it sounds great with the bass. Adds a lot of depth to the sounds and effects!

I was one shot away from Armageddon yesterday too. Tried to replicate it for several games after but didnt get close. Picked up 3 Sim cards along the way and got a 2.4 mil score. Not bad. Loving the effects, light show, and smoothness of this game!

#5510 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Moving my DILE to my new house today. I have it on the market but might just keep it as I really need to delve into it more.
I have a set of mirror blades for it uninstalled. I’ve put blades on before. Anything special to note if I decide to do the installation?

Which mirror blades did you get? Do they install with sticky back or screws?

#5511 5 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

makes it very tight to lift the playfield. pretty sure i have the screw ones. i also purchased these from pinball life so when i raise and lower the playfield they dont get scratched. i do like the look with the mirror blades especially on this game.

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

#5512 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I should clarify my previous post regarding POTC. There's really no reason to be an early adopter in this hobby unless you have to have the newest item before others or if the item is super limited. "Patience is a virtue." The code and mechanical issues should be ironed out a little more if you wait a year or so.
Regarding toys, I would consider both pretty equivalent. They're both JJP games after all. Although, changing the spinning disc design and treasure chest functionality was a bummer. One thing I admire about POTC, probably more than anything, is the diverters for every shot. That's pretty cool and will allow the code to be flexible with the modes.
Overall, POTC and DI couldn't really be more different. Do you like upper play fields? Do you like wide body games? Do you like longer and more complicated games?

Good points. I've decided to hold off on Pirates at this time as there's a good chance there will be some minor hardware tweaks on the game with those being made 6 months from now. It was nice buying a Dialed In LE a year after release as it had all of the latest hardware changes / tweaks made. For these types of prices I don't want to deal anymore with the headaches of installing update kits.

In regards to Pirates vs Dialed In I would have to pick Dialed In. If Pirates still had the original 3x spinning disk and the opening / closing chest I would pick Pirates. Losing those items yet the price of the game still being $9500 is huge bummer as both of those toys, especially the 3x spinning disk, were a big appeal to the game for a lot of buyers. For me to spend $9k on a game it had to blow me away with features, Dialed In LE did. For $9500 I needed something that went beyond Dialed In LE. Pirates did that with the original features but doesn't with the way the game is today in my opinion. Older gameplay videos with the 3x spinning disk are pretty awesome as the ball was manipulated in multiple ways and the mech just looked awesome. The new smaller single spinning disk doesn't seem to really move the ball around that much and it seems very rare when it actually does.

#5513 5 years ago

Friday 10/12/18 at 3pm central: Live stream of POTC from the guys who made it.

Come check us out!

https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

Be sure to subscribe to receive notifications in case we play unannounced again....

Oh, and a bonus stream Monday 10/15/18 @ 3pm of NEW CODE....FOR DIALED IN!!!!!!!!!! Hold onto your butts!

E

#5514 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Friday 10/12/18 at 3pm central: Live stream of POTC from the guys who made it.
Come check us out!
https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive
Be sure to subscribe to receive notifications in case we play unannounced again....
Oh, and a bonus stream Monday 10/15/18 @ 3pm of NEW CODE....FOR DIALED IN!!!!!!!!!! Hold onto your butts!
E

Exciting stuff!!!!! Thanks for posting, Eric!

#5515 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Exciting stuff!!!!! Thanks for posting, Eric!

Yeah, can't wait! Looking forward to seeing what is being added to the game

#5516 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

E

Does that mean code will be publicly available 10/15?

#5517 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Does that mean code will be publicly available 10/15?

Exactly, inquiring minds would like to know lol.

#5518 5 years ago

We will be releasing the code shortly after Expo, after it has been thoroughly tested there. Yes, it will be playable on our DI machines there.

Cheers!

#5519 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

We will be releasing the code shortly after Expo, after it has been thoroughly tested there. Yes, it will be playable on our DI machines there.
Cheers!

Awesome. Do you think there's a chance we will see release notes on Monday, during Expo, or will they be released once it's available to the public?

#5520 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Cheers!

Nice! You should let Joe @ PinballStar load it on his machines for the York pinball show this weekend!

#5521 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Cheers!

I’ll have a DI in my booth at expo, if you want more testing, happy to load it on the game.

#5522 5 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

Hold onto your butts!

Hmmmmm. Is this some sort of hint? Could it be a new disaster mode? Say with some prehistoric animals? Sneaky classic Jurassic Park reference there.

#5523 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Hmmmmm. Is this some sort of hint? Could it be a new disaster mode? Say with some prehistoric animals? Sneaky classic Jurassic Park reference there.

That would be awesome and would go along well with the theme!

#5524 5 years ago

Has anyone experienced the Theater magnet just dropping the ball, instead of throwing it into the orbit ala The Shadow? Is it an connector thing? Opto thing? Is there a magnet test? TBH, I haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. Just started noticing it over the last couple days.

the only big difference was that I changed out the Ninja Chrome balls to Carbon Steel balls. (plus the cleaning/waxing/rerubbering the week prior).

Also ordered some LEDs, and wiring to help light up the rest of the translite. Will be doing that Saturday.

#5525 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Has anyone experienced the Theater magnet just dropping the ball, instead of throwing it into the orbit ala The Shadow? Is it an connector thing? Opto thing? Is there a magnet test? TBH, I haven't really tried to troubleshoot it. Just started noticing it over the last couple days.
the only big difference was that I changed out the Ninja Chrome balls to Carbon Steel balls. (plus the cleaning/waxing/rerubbering the week prior).
Also ordered some LEDs, and wiring to help light up the rest of the translite. Will be doing that Saturday.

You have to adjust the magnet in settings. Most people end up +/-20 from the default setting. Every game is different. It's trial and error.

I think I went up about 15, and it works maybe 75% of the time now. When it doesn't work, it still puts enough on the ball to alter the trajectory to avoid SDTM.

#5526 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

You have to adjust the magnet in settings. Most people end up +/-20 from the default setting. Every game is different. It's trial and error.
I think I went up about 15, and it works maybe 75% of the time now. When it doesn't work, it still puts enough on the ball to alter the trajectory to avoid SDTM.

I wonder if it's because the new balls don't hold onto the magnetism and thus require more strength to throw it up there? I'll try it out. Thanks!

#5527 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Nice catch. That mode would be fun. I hope it has something to do with bugs, as opposed to dinosaurs, though. I think they need to do a mode that uses the D-Bug and spider references in the game.

#5528 5 years ago

My wife and I both played a Shadow for the first time a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get over how much better the Shadow throws the ball backwards over Dialed In. The Shadow does it flawlessly. (at least the one we played)

#5529 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

there are times it is supposed to drop the ball and times its supposed to toss it. Whats happening when it drops?

#5530 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

there are times it is supposed to drop the ball and times its supposed to toss it. Whats happening when it drops?

The mystery award was when I first noticed it. I know it should drop when the kilowatt drop targets are on the screen or the subway doors are on it. Can't remember the other times where it throws it back, but the mystery award was what stood out to me.

#5531 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

My theatre magnet doesn't work with ninja balls. It makes a sound as if its trying to pull the ball, then the ball just drops. I used to switch between sets of ninjas but they all started to get magnetized pretty soon. I'm now using low magnetic balls and haven't needed to change them at all.

#5532 5 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

My theatre magnet doesn't work with ninja balls. It makes a sound as if its trying to pull the ball, then the ball just drops. I used to switch between sets of ninjas but they all started to get magnetized pretty soon. I'm now using low magnetic balls and haven't needed to change them at all.

I have struggled getting balls that don't get magnetised lately. I finally found some good ones but my theatre magnet is dropping, not throwing. What magnet setting are you using?

#5533 5 years ago

Everyones magnets seem to be a little different, try adjusting a little at a time until it is just right for you.

#5534 5 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I have struggled getting balls that don't get magnetised lately. I finally found some good ones but my theatre magnet is dropping, not throwing. What magnet setting are you using?

I ordered some carbon(i believe) pinballs from titan and it fixed my issues.

#5535 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

My wife and I both played a Shadow for the first time a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get over how much better the Shadow throws the ball backwards over Dialed In. The Shadow does it flawlessly. (at least the one we played)

Depends on pin but my di works much better than shadow and does much more also

#5536 5 years ago

Mezel Mods Topper installed!
Hell yes

20181011_143451.jpg20181011_143451.jpg20181011_143510.jpg20181011_143510.jpg
#5537 5 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Shadow's magnet area was carefully designed to make the ball throwing behavior consistent. Dialed In's magnet was not intended for ball tossing, and there are significant physical differences between Shadow and Dialed In.

I implemented the ball tossing in Dialed In as an experiment, and had planned to remove it before the game was released, but it slipped my mind. So, it is what it is. Owners can turn it off if they want.

(I'm pretty familiar with Shadow's ball tossing, by the way: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5494286)

--Edward "Ted" Estes

#5538 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Mezel Mods Topper installed!
Hell yes
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks pretty cool. Every time I've checked out the topper on their site it's been out of stock, hope they get more in.

#5539 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

Shadow's magnet area was carefully designed to make the ball throwing behavior consistent. Dialed In's magnet was not intended for ball tossing, and there are significant physical differences between Shadow and Dialed In.
I implemented the ball tossing in Dialed In as an experiment, and had planned to remove it before the game was released, but it slipped my mind. So, it is what it is. Owners can turn it off if they want.
(I'm pretty familiar with Shadow's ball tossing, by the way: https://patents.google.com/patent/US5494286)
--Edward "Ted" Estes

I think di magnet toss works great once its set up correctly for how the user has the game set up....

#5540 5 years ago
Quoted from check_switch_26:

had planned to remove it before the game was released, but it slipped my mind.

I hope there were no intentions to remove it in the update because it's great the way it is.

#5541 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I hope there were no intentions to remove it in the update because it's great the way it is.

I agree!

#5542 5 years ago

So far I've replaced all 3 drones because the propellers stopped spinning. They didn't all stop working at once so I replaced them individually as they failed. Everything was great for a little while.

And now all 3 have stopped working. Uggghhh!!
This time it appears that they all failed at the same time. They're getting power because the LEDs work. I called JJP again and left a voicemail.

Have you guys had similar issues?
Thanks

#5543 5 years ago

This time it appears that they all failed at the same time. They're getting power because the LEDs work. I called JJP again and left a voicemail.
Thanks

I put a replacement Drone in that I had for a while the other day. When I went to replace the drone I noticed the middle drone was now out too.
Called JJP Weds AM and received the drone (and Trap Door Flap) tonight already. JJP will need you to send back the non functioning drone as they have had a lot of them fail and can have them refurbished.

#5544 5 years ago

So far I've replaced all 3 drones because the propellers stopped spinning. They didn't all stop working at once so I replaced them individually as they failed. Everything was great for a little while.

All of mine have failed.

#5545 5 years ago

No drone problems here.

#5546 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Absolutely agree. Took me a couple tried but mine works excellently

#5547 5 years ago

Tweaked the magnet settings for the new balls. I set the value to -102 and the magnet toss works perfectly now. It needed a little more oomph to get the non-magnetized ball back around the orbit. All is good! Plus, it mitigates SDTM drains from the Theater and is a good way to feed the upper flipper at times. Please dont remove it Ted!

#5548 5 years ago

Thanks

I have one drone that works occasionally. I need to open a support ticket for some new drones.

#5549 5 years ago

I don't even notice if the drones are working while I'm playing.

#5550 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I don't even notice if the drones are working while I'm playing.

I agree. However I do notice when I’m watching someone else’s game. Either way, they’re supposed to function correctly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.