IMG_0816 (resized).png
IMG_1870 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_6003 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6001 (resized).jpeg
unnamed (resized).jpeg
Dialed-In-1.png

Topic index (key posts)

23 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 273.
#5451 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Is there a difference between JJP hole protectors and Cliffy Hole protectors? I thought Cliffy was making them for JJP now? I had asked the previous owner to send in an order for me through JJP (as he still had the game).

There was a run of games that had protectors JJP created/installed themselves, and were thicker than Cliffy's designs. they seem to be more prone to bricks and rejects

#5452 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There was a run of games that had protectors JJP created/installed themselves, and were thicker than Cliffy's designs. they seem to be more prone to bricks and rejects

Ok. My game has nothing installed, so I'm hoping that the ones that JJP will send me are the thinner official Cliffy protectors.

#5453 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Ok. My game has nothing installed, so I'm hoping that the ones that JJP will send me are the thinner official Cliffy protectors.

Yes I believe they are doing Real Cliffys now

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from Mageek:

I have no such issue, never had any problems with flipper inconsistency or strength. All shots can be made consistently , so let's not generalize "The flippers on DI are problematic....." Please.

Don't be a Pinside cliche, man. Just because you don't notice an issue with the flipper strength doesn't mean others don't notice the issue. Read this thread for god's sake. I've owned two DIs. Same varying flipper strength with each in the right flipper. Before you post implying that people are liars, which is what you've done here, take a step back, sit in time-out for a moment, and realize that your Dialed In copy is not representative of all the others.

#5455 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

your Dialed In copy is not representative of all the others.

Which brings us around to, Why not? I am always amazed at how different copies of the same machine play. My WOZ doesn't play like any other WOZ I have played. My DI is the same. Must be that there are so many variables that contribute to game play. From the angle of the flipper to the age of the rubbers to the line voltage, was it made on a Friday or a Monday and on and on.

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

take a step back, sit in time-out for a moment, and realize that your Dialed In copy is not representative of all the others.

you need to take your own advise. The "problem" you are describing is not being reported by anyone but you.

#5457 5 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Which brings us around to, Why not? I am always amazed at how different copies of the same machine play. My WOZ doesn't play like any other WOZ I have played. My DI is the same. Must be that there are so many variables that contribute to game play. From the angle of the flipper to the age of the rubbers to the line voltage, was it made on a Friday or a Monday and on and on.

+1

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Is there a difference between JJP hole protectors and Cliffy Hole protectors? I thought Cliffy was making them for JJP now? I had asked the previous owner to send in an order for me through JJP (as he still had the game).

make sure you have the cliffy ones they make the game 10x better.

#5459 5 years ago

Game geometry and adjustable coils are going to make JJP games feel different. That doesn't mean there is an issue with the coils or flippers or that they are underpowered. In my experience, W/B and Stern games tuned the same feel pretty close to the same aside from occasional geometrical differences. JJP added so many possible adjustments that games are rarely going to feel the same. When I adjust a flipper, it makes a big difference in the gameplay. In my opinion, this is not an issue; it is a welcomed change. I've played other DI copies and just have to spend a few minutes getting used to the setup. No big deal. Now get back to looking up Anita Goodman's skirt.

#5460 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes I believe they are doing Real Cliffys now

Yes and no..

JJP started off with making their own version of Cliffy's. Then Cliff made a bunch of his real protectors for JJP to install on new DI's.
Now JJP is back to making their own again on POTC.

Junky

#5461 5 years ago

For those that have gotten your manual, did you get a reply or any type of shipment confirmation from JJP after putting a ticket in the support portal? Approximately how long between putting the ticket in and getting the manual did it take?

#5462 5 years ago

I got a reply the very next day after putting in a service ticket for my DI manual. One day after that, I received another email saying it was being shipped. JJP customer service is the best!

#5463 5 years ago
Quoted from PinFan4Life:

I got a reply the very next day after putting in a service ticket for my DI manual. One day after that, I received another email saying it was being shipped. JJP customer service is the best!

Same here,but mine was lost in the mail,and now I have to wait until everyone who bought a game gets theirs,before JJP will ship me a second manual. Somebody out there has my manual,that doesn't need one ! I was thinking of calling the Post Office to see if it was given back to the Mail Man,but that's a long shot. Man,I hate the U.S postal system !

#5464 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Yes and no..
JJP started off with making their own version of Cliffy's. Then Cliff made a bunch of his real protectors for JJP to install on new DI's.
Now JJP is back to making their own again on POTC.
Junky

Of note: the protectors on JJPOTC are “mantis style” protectors that sit inside the scoops, not the “cliffy style” that cover the outside.

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from PinFan4Life:

I put in a ticket last Wednesday and never got a response. I’ll call tomorrow. Thanks.

#5466 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Is there a difference between JJP hole protectors and Cliffy Hole protectors?

The JJP ones they produced before they got Cliffy onboard are thicker. The ball doesn't easily roll over the edge, so when the ball is running free, it doesn't roll over the lip of the protector and fall into the hole - it instead skirts around the edge. That's been my experience anyway. Apparently Cliffy did a deal to provide them around July 2017. My machine was made in June 2017.

#5467 5 years ago

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm hoping I get the actual Cliffy protectors. Not sure until I have them in my hands. They were ordered at the same time as the manual (by the previous owner), so hopefully they are on their way to my address.

In other news, new Titan bands are coming today. Will be looking forward to getting the game torn down, cleaned up, waxed, and with fresh bands. There are regular rubber bands on the game now and the pf could use a good clean. It's never been waxed

Will also need to order new carbon balls. I have ninja chrome balls in it right now and they retain too much magnetism and get hung up on the theater magnet and trough.

#5468 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

For those that have gotten your manual, did you get a reply or any type of shipment confirmation from JJP after putting a ticket in the support portal? Approximately how long between putting the ticket in and getting the manual did it take?

It took about a week and a half to get my manual once I placed my order. I got an email notice that the order was submitted and processed, but I did not get any sort of shipping email or tracking number. In the end, mine was delivered by USPS.

#5469 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Will also need to order new carbon balls. I have ninja chrome balls in it right now and they retain too much magnetism and get hung up on the theater magnet and trough.

Yep, I've stopped using ninja balls since my theatre magnet didn't work with them.

#5470 5 years ago

I placed my manual order around 9/21, and I just got my confirmation/shipping emails yesterday.
Give it time.

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I put in a ticket last Wednesday and never got a response. I’ll call tomorrow. Thanks.

I ordered the same day as you and have not received any confirmation. Did you call today and was it necessary to call?

#5472 5 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I ordered the same day as you and have not received any confirmation. Did you call today and was it necessary to call?

I spoke to them today. They have my ticket, and I'm in the queue. It seems like there are a lot of parts orders, and they are just going through the line.

#5473 5 years ago

I replaced my traditional rubbers with Titan clears, gave it a clean and a fresh coat of wax and...hollee chit! Game plays so good now!

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I replaced my traditional rubbers with Titan clears, gave it a clean and a fresh coat of wax and...hollee chit! Game plays so good now!

Could you share a picture with the titan clears?

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

When was your game made, they have been putting titans on from the factory (white not clear) since fall of 17.

#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Could you share a picture with the titan clears?

Yes, i can certainly snap some pics. Do you want the game on? off? Both?

Quoted from Marvin:

When was your game made, they have been putting titans on from the factory (white not clear) since fall of 17.

I'll have to take a look. There were traditional white rubbers on mine. I'm not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not, but I can't imagine that he did for a game that was just over a year old. I want to say it was made June or July 2017. I can take a look though.

#5477 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I'll have to take a look. There were traditional white rubbers on mine. I'm not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not, but I can't imagine that he did for a game that was just over a year old. I want to say it was made June or July 2017. I can take a look though.

Game on please

#5478 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

that was around, but might be just before, they changed to titans.

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from Marvin:

that was around, but might be just before, they changed to titans.

Either way, no big deal. It gave me the opportunity to clean a bit and get some wax in the pf. There were some ball trails that I didn't want to become too ground in so this was a good opportunity to polish it up and get it shiny again I put on about 6 games afterwards, and holy schnikes it fast! Good stuff!

I was able to get 4 Sim cards when it was "dirty." Now I'm hoping I can get two! Sometimes the ball flies so fast that the theater magnet can't catch it during EMP!

#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from estrader:

Game on please

I tried to get a few different colors. And I included a few pics of my game room just for fun

20181005_141121 (resized).jpg20181005_141121 (resized).jpg20181005_141125 (resized).jpg20181005_141125 (resized).jpg20181005_141132 (resized).jpg20181005_141132 (resized).jpg20181005_141139 (resized).jpg20181005_141139 (resized).jpg20181005_141141 (resized).jpg20181005_141141 (resized).jpg20181005_143531 (resized).jpg20181005_143531 (resized).jpg20181005_143538 (resized).jpg20181005_143538 (resized).jpg
#5481 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I tried to get a few different colors. And I included a few pics of my game room just for fun [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice game room layout. I like the tool box. Very fitting given the nature of these machines.

#5482 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Nice game room layout. I like the tool box. Very fitting given the nature of these machines.

Thanks! There's not much space down there for much else, so gotta go with a small-in-one workbench and tool chest

#5483 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I tried to get a few different colors. And I included a few pics of my game room just for fun [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Frontier!! Nice. Yeah I think the Titan clears are the way to go. I like how they play and clear looks fantastic, thanks for the pics.

#5484 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this is a general DI thing or just my game. When I hit the left ramp with a softer shot the ball will sometimes get stuck in the mechanic diverter.

As I understand it, the diverter goes up a little when it hits the switch below it and then drops back down a little bit. This is fine with fast hits as the ball is past when the diverter drops back down a little but not slower hits as the ball gets trapped either right before the diverter or right underneath the diverter. In either case ball search doesn't free it (yes the diverter is moving) and you normally can't shake it loose. The game will eventually release another ball but then as soon as one ball drains flipper die and you lose the second ball. I find this incredibly frustrating.

I have messed with the mech and it works fine and there doesn't appear to be a way to set it 'higher' it just happens on softer shots as the diverter drops back down before the ball has cleared, it needs to stay up like 1/2 second longer.

Am I alone on this if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#5485 5 years ago

So does anyone have both DI and Pirates of the caribbean? Which one do you think is the better game?

#5486 5 years ago

Yes I’d love to know as well. Since these pins are so expensive, I’m looking to buy one of the two. I like DI as a great game cause I’ve played it at a friends, but looking at pirates too. It seems to have even more active toys and depth. Can someone who owns DI tell me why they’d chose it over Pirates or vice versa?

A couple of questions I’d like answered by you DI owners: So what’s your verdict?

1. If you had one table either POTC or DI, which would it be and why?

2. Which one will have greater longevity for the family?

3. Which one will have a better resale value?

4. Is the depth on POTC better than DI, so the game will hold interest longer since you’ve seen/played both?

5. Have you ever grown bored with DI and want a newer challenge or has it staying power for you?

Trying to decide what to buy. At these high prices want to figure out best value for money. Thinking POTC everyone knows and so it is more likely to resale much easier than say DI, which few know (I do like original theme of DI). But would be nice to just buy one and keep it for the long haul.

Thanks for your help in advance. If you answer all questions correctly, you’ll get many free plays on Batman 66, lol. A table I have already and enjoy. But must say I’m impressed more with JJP’s high quality and not sparing on the details. JJP tables do not seem to have the copy and paste approach that Stern takes. Can’t wait for Toy Story. That’s a definite buy!

#5487 5 years ago

I'd suggest playing DI after the code drop that's scheduled, and PotC too - which is almost code complete already, save for final wizard mode (already has 5) and polish.

They're very different to each other, and very different to your Houdini. Question of which you and your family enjoy more. Maybe you'll want both.

Don't rely on others to make the decision for you.

#5488 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Yes I’d love to know as well. Since these pins are so expensive, I’m looking to buy one of the two. I like DI as a great game cause I’ve played it at a friends, but looking at pirates too. It seems to have even more active toys and depth. Can someone who owns DI tell me why they’d chose it over Pirates or vice versa?
A couple of questions I’d like answered by you DI owners: So what’s your verdict?
1. If you had one table either POTC or DI, which would it be and why?
2. Which one will have greater longevity for the family?
3. Which one will have a better resale value?
4. Is the depth on POTC better than DI, so the game will hold interest longer since you’ve seen/played both?
5. Have you ever grown bored with DI and want a newer challenge or has it staying power for you?
Trying to decide what to buy. At these high prices want to figure out best value for money. Thinking POTC everyone knows and so it is more likely to resale much easier than say DI, which few know (I do like original theme of DI). But would be nice to just buy one and keep it for the long haul.
Thanks for your help in advance. If you answer all questions correctly, you’ll get many free plays on Batman 66, lol. A table I have already and enjoy. But must say I’m impressed more with JJP’s high quality and not sparing on the details. JJP tables do not seem to have the copy and paste approach that Stern takes. Can’t wait for Toy Story. That’s a definite buy!

IMO DI, although I only have a few games on POTC. Pirates is really cool, almost rivals WOZ IMO.. but it is hard to get into. And loooooong. DI has a lot more “pick up and play” going for it. For me.

#5489 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

IMO DI, although I only have a few games on POTC. Pirates is really cool, almost rivals WOZ IMO.. but it is hard to get into. And loooooong. DI has a lot more “pick up and play” going for it. For me.

I would agree with DI over POTC.

Pirates seems overly complicated with all the game selectable character options. I like more level rules when playing and competing against others.

Wait on Pirates until all the inevitable complaints from new owners are addressed. It's gonna happen. It won't be hard to acquire it later. It may actually be easier.

I think DI would be better for resale value, esp if you buy one used. You will take a bigger hit when you sell POTC.

#5490 5 years ago

I would recommend waiting a year or so on POTC to see how it all shakes out. The designer seems like a great guy, but I'd hesitate to jump in head first on a new designer's first design.

#5491 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I would recommend waiting a year or so on POTC to see how it all shakes out. The designer seems like a great guy, but I'd hesitate to jump in head first on a new designer's first design.

However it DID work out pretty good for Imdn..

#5492 5 years ago

For a good illustration of one of the many ways you can blow PotC up, watch Joe (one of the programmers) play his last ball from 33.30 in this video:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/317626358

#5493 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

However it DID work out pretty good for Imdn..

TNA too...

#5494 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Eric is an awesome guy and POTC is a super fun game. First design or not, I think POTC has the depth you would expect from a Keefer game, as opposed to DI which harkens back to the B/W style mode driven game. DI shots and flow are very smooth with a great ruleset, and solid art, audio, and video package.

POTC has a complicated (some might say overly) ruleset that you'll need to really delve into. The game plays well, but doesn't flow as nicely as DI. It does have lots of innovations and small (positive) nuances that make it really stand out from other machines. You'll not find a machine similar to PTOC as a whole.

You will have to try to play both of you can, then decide. I prefer DI over POTC, but that doesnt mean that POTC is a slouch. I'd have both if I could.

#5495 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Eric is an awesome guy and POTC is a super fun game. First design or not, I think POTC has the depth you would expect from a Keefer game, as opposed to DI which harkens back to the B/W style mode driven game. DI shots and flow are very smooth with a great ruleset, and solid art, audio, and video package.
POTC has a complicated (some might say overly) ruleset that you'll need to really delve into. The game plays well, but doesn't flow as nicely as DI. It does have lots of innovations and small (positive) nuances that make it really stand out from other machines. You'll not find a machine similar to PTOC as a whole.
You will have to try to play both of you can, then decide. I prefer DI over POTC, but that doesnt mean that POTC is a slouch. I'd have both if I could.

Help me understand how Keith’s games are different from a mode-driven game? I am familiar with TH, WOZ, LOTR, etc but these all seem like mode based games to me

#5496 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Help me understand how Keith’s games are different from a mode-driven game? I am familiar with TH, WOZ, LOTR, etc but these all seem like mode based games to me

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/317626358

#5497 5 years ago

Wow, you guys are great helping me out and your answers are well thought out. Really enjoy reading your advice, since I’m fairly new to this hobby. Any more ideas on how the toys stack up against each other on POTC versus DI?

#5498 5 years ago

I spent my afternoon today drinking beer (I like beer!) and adding LED strips to the back box. It turned out great! It was easy, but took awhile. Again, beer. The tranlite art on this game is awesome. Who would've thought? Check it out!

IMG_1596 (resized).jpegIMG_1596 (resized).jpeg

#5499 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Wow, you guys are great helping me out and your answers are well thought out. Really enjoy reading your advice, since I’m fairly new to this hobby. Any more ideas on how the toys stack up against each other on POTC versus DI?

I should clarify my previous post regarding POTC. There's really no reason to be an early adopter in this hobby unless you have to have the newest item before others or if the item is super limited. "Patience is a virtue." The code and mechanical issues should be ironed out a little more if you wait a year or so.

Regarding toys, I would consider both pretty equivalent. They're both JJP games after all. Although, changing the spinning disc design and treasure chest functionality was a bummer. One thing I admire about POTC, probably more than anything, is the diverters for every shot. That's pretty cool and will allow the code to be flexible with the modes.

Overall, POTC and DI couldn't really be more different. Do you like upper play fields? Do you like wide body games? Do you like longer and more complicated games?

#5500 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Overall, POTC and DI couldn't really be more different.

Do you like upper play fields?
Very few, maybe WH20

Do you like wide body games? very few

Do you like longer and more complicated games? Not especially, I’m playing pinball, not filling out forms at the DMV.

I vote DI. POTC has TH price point potential.

Sorry, thought we all may eligible to take the quiz.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 22.50
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
There are 13,629 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 273.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-owners-and-fans-club/page/110?hl=donniedarko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.