Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Waiting.PNG
EBE8624B-AF84-4361-B043-C2E582986C98 (resized).png
IMG_6509 (resized).jpg
20180523_215948 (resized).jpg
happy gilmore.jpg
4D5BCBCF-D018-4251-879D-6F4AFB1F7D45 (resized).jpeg
There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I recently sold my first pin, NBAFB. It was a sad day, but turned exciting fast, knowing I now have room for a new machine. After playing multiple games on my interest list, I've narrowed my choices down to two; Dialed In LE or MMr Standard with color upgrade & shaker motor.

I currently own a RR WOZ and AFMr LE and enjoy both equally. Both were NIB purchases, and I would like to do NIB again.

Last time I put up a post for choosing my next game, I received excellent feedback from you guys in the Pinside Community. From that post, I ended up buying my RR WOZ and couldn't be happier. So again, I'm looking forward to your opinions.

Now for the million dollar question, if you were in my shoes, what would you buy and why?

#2 5 years ago

That's tough. Both Great games. It's a tie in my mind. Buy MMR and then trade it later for DI.

#3 5 years ago

Dialed in all the way. Traded my original MM and I’m loving Dialed In. Yes, MM is a great pin, but Dialed In feels much more modern with its lcd screens, magnets, lighting, code, etc. Both great pins, but if you’ve alreay got AFMr, I would go Dialed In

#4 5 years ago

DI. MM gameplay/shots got a bit stale for me. Faster than I thought it would. I haven't played mine in a while.

#5 5 years ago

I’m assuming by the OPs avatar he has an afm. If that’s the case, I’d go with DI. Afm and mmr play differently, but have similar layouts. DI is a great complement to afm.

#6 5 years ago

Another vote for DI to go with your AFM. They are very different games though, so play DI if you can. I'd also make sure that you enjoy the humor style and call outs of DI. Most people seem to like them, but they aren't my favorite and that has kept me from considering DI at the moment.

#7 5 years ago

DILE rocks. My only caution is the time to dial it in (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialing-in-dialed-in-le-96)

Mine was a fairly early build, so hopefully some of the issues I resolved are corrected during manufacturing.

snaroff

#8 5 years ago

It’s not even a question. DI has more toys, more modes, more fun (although more
Price!)

Had a MM, it is great ... for a couple months. Castle is always fun but it doesn’t stay a “one more game...” title

#9 5 years ago

MM is an all-time classic. DI is hot now, but who knows if it will over time achieve the legend status that MM already has. DI may be hurt due to its poor cabinet art and playfield art. That said, I suggest DI for you even though I like MMr much better - strictly because you already have AFMr LE and its layout is so similar. I myself didn't buy MMr because I own AFM.

#10 5 years ago

Both great pins. You can’t go wrong either way.
I have both, but Dialed In would be my choice of the two.
One of the best flowing pins ever. It’s a great pin for all level of players, that is always a good thing for a family.

#11 5 years ago

I have some Dialed In Limited Edition machines in stock, drive on over and grab one. I can also have a MMr if you like too. Let me know how I can help. A 3 hour drive isn't too bad.

#12 5 years ago

I just picked up DI LE which I think is fantastic. I don’t build my collection based on who designed it but if I’m honest, it was a hole in my collection not having anything by Lawler. I owned TZ before and love the subway and side camera shot. Still think TZ is the single greatest pin except doesn’t have the fancy lighting effects that I love Woz and DI.

So to me DI is getting the layout from Lawler with the latest modern hardware and code which I love.

MMr seems like a slight upgrade from 20 year old game but missing the latest light show etc.

#13 5 years ago

As everyone else has said, MM is just a rehash of the AFM layout with a bell and a whistle added but it's the same game by the same designer, just ask him. Dialed in is fresh and current even innovative. With MM you are getting a great pin but it's a 90's pin you are paying NIB prices for, the value doesn't add up to me DI all the way

#14 5 years ago

I would go DI. Not the best game every but as stated above you already have the better of the 2 in AFM so no need for another.

It's all house monies though. With that POS fastbreak gone your life is much better.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would go DI. Not the best game every but as stated above you already have the better of the 2 in AFM so no need for another.
It's all house monies though. With that POS fastbreak gone your life is much better.

LOL! NBAFB had its moments, however, after getting to the wizard mode (trophy multi-ball) on almost every play, I thought it was time to sell.

#16 5 years ago

If you own AFM, then DI. If not MM.

#17 5 years ago

DI brah, road trip to KingPin lets gooooo!

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Still think TZ is the single greatest pin except doesn’t have the fancy lighting effects that I love Woz and DI.

Absolutely fixable with a Pinduino

#19 5 years ago

MMR theme is timeless. Dialed In is kinda kiddy and flavor of the day.

#20 5 years ago

I have a 2-game collection: AFMrLE and MMr. I love both games and couldn’t be happier. Although there are similarities in the layout there are enough differences in theme, art, music, call outs, and rules that I wouldn’t hesitate to get both, even if they are your only two games.

My advice is to buy the games you love most. If in doubt you could do far worse than buying the all-time classics for your home collection and playing the newer games on location. I learned this lesson the hard way.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

We had our differences on other threads "The Law" but no hard feelings. I am planning in late July to purchase three machines, and I have decided on Attack From Mars LE, Dialed In (LE if possible) and The Wizard of Oz. As to WOZ I am still undecided which way to go, RR, EC or Standard. Aesthetically it seems the EC is the way to go, but I know a few who are promoting standard. Not expecting or planning to spend anymore than 22K for the three machines combined, so I suppose i should try to find the same seller who won't ask for more than that. I will also get MONSTER BASH re-make, which is imminent from CGC.

I own MMR (just bought it last month) and I am one of those who feels it could well be the greatest game ever, but AFM is arguably as great. I respect that you feel it is even better. It is so close.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I have a 2-game collection: AFMrLE and MMr. I love both games and couldn’t be happier. Although there are similarities in the layout there are enough differences in theme, art, music, call outs, and rules that I wouldn’t hesitate to get both, even if they are your only two games.
My advice is to buy the games you love most. If in doubt you could do far worse than buying the all-time classics for your home collection and playing the newer games on location. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Fantastic comment and sage advice here in every sense!!!

#23 5 years ago

MMr is much too close to your AFMr. Especially in a small collection.
But if you like classic WMS games get mmr.

But I say DI if you must have a new pin now to switch it up a bit.
However I would wait until monster bash comes out.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Absolutely fixable with a Pinduino

I am talking about the color inserts specifically.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Uff I'd hook pinduino in to turn that garbage off...goddamn siezures

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

» YouTube video

Yup

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If I'd hook pinduino in to turn that garbage off...goddamn siezures

lol I suppose you can do that too

#28 5 years ago

Had an MM, AFM both are very similar and being that you already have one...... However DILE is a breath of fresh air and amazing within itself. I just grabbed one and I'm so glad I did and so is the family.

#29 5 years ago

MM is a great game but I vote DI.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

Sound advice

#31 5 years ago

Stop in my business and play them both, to help you decide.

LTG : )

#32 5 years ago

I prefer MM to DILE, but if you already own AFM I would say go with DILE.. It is a great shooting game and IMHO unless you have a large collection AFM and MM are too similar to be in a small collection together.

#33 5 years ago

Had both and dile by a lot imo... so much more to do, better lighting, tons magnet action, top notch code, betrer graphics and shoots like a dream.
Mmr is a,classic but got old fairly quickly but the castle toy is cool at first.

#34 5 years ago

MMR. I own it, have had it for 16 months now. Have played DILE about 100 games in a public arcade over the past year. I prefer MMR.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

MMR theme is timeless. Dialed In is kinda kiddy and flavor of the day.

Been shipping for a year and has only gained more popularly over time. Its a,great playing pin with tons to do and great code. Only thing people can say bad about it is really the odd theme but even th5st is just a matter of taste. I for one perfer original themes over all these old licences.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

» YouTube video

Absolutely love jjp lightshows... best in the business imo

#37 5 years ago

MMr by miles and miles.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Only thing people can say bad about it is really the odd theme but ...

I don't know what they were expecting from PL.

#39 5 years ago

Absolutely love the classics but they are very dated compared to the new breed of pins coming out . The lcd, lighting and code on the new pins just make them really stand out and above most older pins in a home use setting..... especially in a smaller collection of 10 or less.

#40 5 years ago

Take Lloyd's offer and go play both, both that will be properly setup and I'm sure he'll have the sound as well. Then decide for yourself.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Stop in my business and play them both, to help you decide.

Already have and I probably will have to again! See you soon Lloyd.

#43 5 years ago

DI’s in stock at Abel Electronics. Michigan JJP distributor. Also on freeplay in our showroom. Stop in and check one out.

4D5BCBCF-D018-4251-879D-6F4AFB1F7D45 (resized).jpeg4D5BCBCF-D018-4251-879D-6F4AFB1F7D45 (resized).jpeg

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Already have and I probably will have to again! See you soon Lloyd.

I can show you the insides too if it will help you decide.

#45 5 years ago

I recently left the DI club.
Certainly one of the most tough game out there for several reasons.
It is technically difficult, I always had the feeling that the ball was never on the right flipper to hit the following shot, some modes are hard and very challenging to complete in timer, some are easiers but this game has the dumbest most important shot to do as SIM Card shot. Never done it in other way than by chance.
The vuk shot, other important shot to start modes, is also hard to do coz of many rejected ball. Plenty of time I had hit it in the perfect center and ended to get out.
Anyway a nice game, with great flow, innovative, great lcd animations, with some flaws that ruins my experience for this one.
Maybe JJP is not for me (woz didn’t do it for me too)

In other hand, MM, best pinball ever, less deep than DI, but challenging enough to go to wizard mode and more accessible to every player. So FUN, so smooth to shoot, so good to hear the sound package, so great toy, so...

#46 5 years ago

Dialed In. You already have AFMr and that is is so similar to MM. Dialed In is Pat Lawlor's masterpiece. I've played it more in the last year than all my other machines combined (and it's not even close).

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

It is technically difficult, I always had the feeling that the ball was never on the right flipper to hit the following shot, some modes are hard and very challenging to complete in timer, some are easiers but this game has the dumbest most important shot to do as SIM Card shot. Never done it in other way than by chance.
The vuk shot, other important shot to start modes, is also hard to do coz of many rejected ball. Plenty of time I had hit it in the perfect center and ended to get out.
Anyway a nice game, with great flow, innovative, great lcd animations, with some flaws that ruins my experience for this one.
In other hand, MM, best pinball ever, less deep than DI, but challenging enough to go to wizard mode and more accessible to every player. So FUN, so smooth to shoot, so good to hear the sound package, so great toy, so...

That’s a valid assessment, can not disagree fully about the SIM card, but the phone mode start hole is not that difficult for me, much like the slot machine shot in TZ.

I’d say that too easy of shot is worse than a difficult shot. And difficult pins like TWD are popular because they are so difficult. The mode start on IJ or ST is harder than the phone shot imo.

But it’s up to the owner to decide what’s too hard of a shot.

#48 5 years ago

Not for me.
TWD is the perfection imho in all aspects, between easy and difficult shots, risky/reward shots, rules depth, gameplay and all is playing good. I’m way more at my ease with TWD, IJ or ST than DI.
Smartphone shot is hard coz of this issue and I don’t know why. but it is the first time I had this problem on a vuk shot.
Shoot it better in backhand for me.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I agree that the "start mode" shot can be difficult to hit. I have also had a lot of balls rejected as well, however, I haven't played the game with consistency (only 100 plays or so) to fine tune that shot. I'm hopeful with time and practice, I'll be able to hit it with relative consistency. It's my only worry about the game. I had a JP for a short time and the biggest turn off was the "power shed" shot in the upper right corner. Now that was crazy hard to hit and led to more frustration than fun.

With all of that said, I don't want my games to be overly easy either, like NBAFB for example. If that's the case, it won't last too long in my collection.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Dialed In. You already have AFMr and that is is so similar to MM. Dialed In is Pat Lawlor's masterpiece. I've played it more in the last year than all my other machines combined (and it's not even close).

That says a lot when you have WH20, WOZ, IJ and other great machines in your collection. Why do you think you keep going back to DI?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-or-mmr?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.