Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Waiting.PNG
EBE8624B-AF84-4361-B043-C2E582986C98 (resized).png
IMG_6509 (resized).jpg
20180523_215948 (resized).jpg
happy gilmore.jpg
4D5BCBCF-D018-4251-879D-6F4AFB1F7D45 (resized).jpeg
There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Not for me.
TWD is the perfection imho in all aspects, between easy and difficult shots, risky/reward shots, rules depth, gameplay and all is playing good. I’m way more at my ease with TWD, IJ or ST than DI.
Smartphone shot is hard coz of this issue and I don’t know why. but it is the first time I had this problem on a vuk shot.
Shoot it better in backhand for me.

Might be up your particular pin. My daughters who maybe played pinball 50 games played in her life, she played DI yesterday and hit the phone shot two times in one game.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Why do you think you keep going back to DI?

Because it's a blast to play, enjoyable shots and when you get the sim card shot you actually have the great feeling of achievement. For me games that are too easy become boring very quickly and this game does have a lot to offer, all of which will take a while to achieve.

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

I recently left the DI club.
Certainly one of the most tough game out there for several reasons.
It is technically difficult, I always had the feeling that the ball was never on the right flipper to hit the following shot, some modes are hard and very challenging to complete in timer, some are easiers but this game has the dumbest most important shot to do as SIM Card shot. Never done it in other way than by chance.
The vuk shot, other important shot to start modes, is also hard to do coz of many rejected ball. Plenty of time I had hit it in the perfect center and ended to get out.
Anyway a nice game, with great flow, innovative, great lcd animations, with some flaws that ruins my experience for this one.
Maybe JJP is not for me (woz didn’t do it for me too)
In other hand, MM, best pinball ever, less deep than DI, but challenging enough to go to wizard mode and more accessible to every player. So FUN, so smooth to shoot, so good to hear the sound package, so great toy, so...

I agree with the SIM card shot, but the phone scoop? I suck at pinball, but I can backhand that shot from the right flip and make that 99/100 times.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I agree with the SIM card shot, but the phone scoop? I suck at pinball, but I can backhand that shot from the right flip and make that 99/100 times.

It sounds like I'm going to be working on my backhand today at LTG's.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

It sounds like I'm going to be working on my backhand today at LTG's.

Scoop is very easy to make from both flippers, ok the simcard is difficult but I do make that shot at least 6 out of 10 times. I have my machine perfectly level and at 6.5' pitched. A lot of times you can play pool and bank it in off the left ticket target too.

#56 5 years ago

I can understand the Sim card arguments, never heard of bounce outs from the phone shot though.

#57 5 years ago

I like MM, awesome game but for the price of a new MMR I would rather have (and did buy myself) a Dialed In LE. MM still has its original ruleset which while fun gets repetitive in my opinion after a while. This is the same reason why I sold TZ, most 90's pin rulesets just don't hold my attention for long. To be fair I had my TZ for nearly 10 years and just wanted a change up, still an amazing game (as is MM).

I never thought I would do the 180 that I did on Dialed In. I wasn't impressed by the reveal and it was until nearly a year later that I seriously started considering buying one as so many people started to praise it by then. I've had my Dialed In LE now for about 3 weeks and absoustely love it, what a great game. DI feels like my TZ but with all of the new tech and ruleset offerings (and then some) of a modern game. Very impressed.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Might be up your particular pin. My daughters who maybe played pinball 50 games played in her life, she played DI yesterday and hit the phone shot two times in one game.

i did not said that i could not do it (like sim card shot) but sometimes i need to hit it 5-6 times to succeed it. so i give up and do another shot before coming back later.
anyway, if you can pass these inconveniences this is a very challenging game (but not sure this is a fun game)

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I like MM, awesome game but for the price of a new MMR I would rather have (and did buy myself) a Dialed In LE. MM still has its original ruleset which while fun gets repetitive in my opinion after a while. This is the same reason why I sold TZ, most 90's pin rulesets just don't hold my attention for long.
I never thought I would do the 180 that I did on Dialed In. I wasn't impressed by the reveal and it was until nearly a year later that I seriously started considering buying one as so many people started to praise it by then. I've had my Dialed In LE now for about 3 weeks and absoustely love it, what a great game. DI feels like my TZ but with all of the new tech and ruleset offerings (and then some) of a modern game. Very impressed.

That’s how I feel too.

#60 5 years ago

We have both. I love them. But it’s DI and not even close.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I like MM, awesome game but for the price of a new MMR I would rather have (and did buy myself) a Dialed In LE. MM still has its original ruleset which while fun gets repetitive in my opinion after a while. This is the same reason why I sold TZ, most 90's pin rulesets just don't hold my attention for long.

i have no problem with that and am as happy for you as i have no regret
i love my MM but i'm not the only one as my kids give always the preference to play it.
and i have enough in my line-up to enjoy playing pinball without any kind of frustration and not get bored of my MM

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I can understand the Sim card arguments, never heard of bounce outs from the phone shot though.

To clarify my phone shot experience, sometimes I'll hit the shot really well and it just won't go down. I suppose it's similar to the SOL on Attack from Mars. You might hit it too hard or be off just enough to have it rattle in and out.

Sometimes the phone shot makes me feel like this:

happy gilmore.jpghappy gilmore.jpg

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

To clarify my phone shot experience, sometimes I'll hit the shot really well and it just won't go down. I suppose it's similar to the SOL on Attack from Mars. You might hit it too hard or be off just enough to have it rattle and not go down. I've never had any "bounce outs" per se.

i don't know if the issue is coming from the side wings of vuk bracket but i had exactly the same experience as you.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

To clarify my phone shot experience, sometimes I'll hit the shot really well and it just won't go down. I suppose it's similar to the SOL on Attack from Mars. You might hit it too hard or be off just enough to have it rattle in and out.
Sometimes the phone shot makes me feel like this:

Gives us an update on your thoughts from Lloyd's after you had played both...

#65 5 years ago

Its a tough decision. For me, MM was my grail game. Always wanted one, but was not about to pay 15,000.00 for one. When they remade it, i had not choice. Seeing as you own AFMr.. MMr is too similar in my opinion go for DI

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Gives us an update on your thoughts from Lloyd's after you had played both...

I definitely will. I'll be practicing my phone shot quite a bit.

#67 5 years ago

Wonder if he is storming the castle or being dialed in right about now

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Wonder if he is storming the castle or being dialed in right about now

I haven't made the trip just yet. I'm super slammed at work, so it might have to be later tonight. I promise I won't "Ralph" anyone by disappearing.

(For those who haven't seen this thread, it's a funny one) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-until-12-noon-tomorrow-to-pick-my-new-game

#69 5 years ago

Hurry back! Ralph

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

Hurry back! Ralph

Maybe I should have trolled you guys a bit by not responding until early next week. However, I'm not one to plagiarize a great idea like Ralph's.

#71 5 years ago

I adore my MM but it seems a little redundant unless you adore the theme.

Played a brand new DI this week right out of the box and after 5 games I had my fill. The shots are fine but nothing stands out as a amazing feeling shot and the closer left ramp feels so close. The moving sparky guy is fine and flashy lighting wise but to be honest sort of slows down the flow for me. It seems faster than other jjp games but feels so slow compared to newer sterns. Best of luck and personally I would wait to see Bryan Eddie's new game layout and theme, not like you need to rush to get either of these games by 12 tomorrow or else.

#72 5 years ago

Drop Woz and get both!
U cant make a bad choice here.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

That says a lot when you have WH20, WOZ, IJ and other great machines in your collection. Why do you think you keep going back to DI?

It's more challenging and the shots are very satisfying. That is the short answer.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

That says a lot when you have WH20, WOZ, IJ and other great machines in your collection. Why do you think you keep going back to DI?

Because it's new.

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because it's new.

That reminds me of a movie I once saw. It was about a new toy that was placed in a collection of old toys. The new toy was impressive and the other toys felt left out because they weren't played with as much anymore. I can't remember what the name of that movie was...

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I can't remember what the name of that movie was...

Deepthroat?

#77 5 years ago

I've had Dialed In for almost a year now. At first I played it a lot because it was the new game. I've since purchased GOTG, TSPP, WH20. I still like DI the most from a gameplay perspective. The theater is awesome. With the magnet it makes that shot a drop target, captive ball, orbit, ball scoop, spinner, etc. The game pisses me off more than my other games because the combos you have to get, sim cards you need to collect, or big bang you want to hit can blow up your score and when you drain, barely miss, or run out of time you get frustrated that you were ALMOST there. It makes you want to hit the start button and try again.

It's Pat Lawlor's amalgamation of all the great things from his previous games. It has that stop and go style, but doesn't feel like flow is disrupted.

In regards to MM: You have AFM. It's a super similar game in a different skin. The castle toy is great. You won't go wrong if you own the #1 rated pin of all time. I just think DI is a lot better.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

That reminds me of a movie I once saw. It was about a new toy that was placed in a collection of old toys. The new toy was impressive and the other toys felt left out because they weren't played with as much anymore. I can't remember what the name of that movie was...

Haha, it's coming... allegedly

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I haven't made the trip just yet. I'm super slammed at work, so it might have to be later tonight. I promise I won't "Ralph" anyone by disappearing.
(For those who haven't seen this thread, it's a funny one) https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-have-until-12-noon-tomorrow-to-pick-my-new-game

I have arrived,my name is now a bad word.

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

I have arrived,my name is now a bad word.

Ralph! I saw your explanation post. Welcome back and congrats on your first purchase!

#81 5 years ago

Party at SS Billiards tonight at 8pm. Dialed In is the main feature, with a little MMr on the side. Come join us if you can!

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from JJHLH:

I have a 2-game collection: AFMrLE and MMr. I love both games and couldn’t be happier. Although there are similarities in the layout there are enough differences in theme, art, music, call outs, and rules that I wouldn’t hesitate to get both, even if they are your only two games.
My advice is to buy the games you love most. If in doubt you could do far worse than buying the all-time classics for your home collection and playing the newer games on location. I learned this lesson the hard way.

I owned original versions of both MM and AFM at the same time and couldn't agree more. MM and AFM play so differently that I never felt that I had two pins that were too similar to own at the same time. Had them together for quite some time.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Party at SS Billiards tonight at 8pm. Dialed In is the main feature, with a little MMr on the side. Come join us if you can!

Thanks for the invite. I'll try and make it.

LTG : )

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Ralph! I saw your explanation post. Welcome back and congrats on your first purchase!

Thanks.I got a kick out of some of the post that were made, while I was missing. My favorite one was."Maybe he was murdered at 11:59

#85 5 years ago

Last game of the night. 694,620 points. Thanks for hosting @LTG!

20180523_215948 (resized).jpg20180523_215948 (resized).jpg

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Last game of the night. 694,620 points. Thanks for hosting LTG!

Nice job. You can have one in your home tomorrow if you like. Let me know how I can help.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Thanks for hosting LTG!

Always good to see you. I hope your visit helped you make up your mind !

LTG : )

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

On my DILE the back hand is impossible. It catches the right sling. Never found a solution. But I can hit the shot consistently enough from left flipper...

#89 5 years ago

I shared exactly the same scoop experience as colonel_caverne - Sim was 100% unmakeable from a direct shot. Phone would literally pop out 5 times out of 10. Direct shot or backhand. And this was with real cliffy cliffy’s.

But the phone shot didn’t piss me off as much as the sim, just because to get decent scores you had to get sims. Multiballs were pretty worthless by themselves. Pretty much everything was worthless if you couldn’t get sims.

I considered removing the cliffy’s altogether, but was hesitant because I literally played 10 games when I first got it before installing cliffy’s, and both scoops began to chip.

But the other thing is the game is emotionless - has no soul.

So instead i sold it and am 2 games into buying 4 older games to replace it for the same cost and am loving those. They got soul.

Having said that, I can completely understand why so many love it and can appreciate it is an incredible piece of Pinball tech with a near flawless layout.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I shared exactly the same scoop experience as colonel_caverne - Sim was 100% unmakeable from a direct shot. Phone would literally pop out 5 times out of 10. Direct shot or backhand. And this was with real cliffy cliffy’s.
But the phone shot didn’t piss me off as much as the sim, just because to get decent scores you had to get sims. Multiballs were pretty worthless by themselves. Pretty much everything was worthless if you couldn’t get sims.
I considered removing the cliffy’s altogether, but was hesitant because I literally played 10 games when I first got it before installing cliffy’s, and both scoops began to chip.
But the other thing is the game is emotionless - has no soul.
So instead i sold it and am 2 games into buying 4 older games to replace it for the same cost and am loving those. They got soul.
Having said that, I can completely understand why so many love it and can appreciate it is an incredible piece of Pinball tech with a near flawless layout.

For me, the game is much more fun with the setting that preserves SIM cards across balls. I really think this should have been the default. Will be interesting to see if they switch it in the next update.

Your comment about "no soul" is interesting. I don't feel that way. For example, the "Big Bang" shot that completes a mode is amazing. And when it goes in the SIM card hole immediately after hitting "Big Bang" it's magic. Game has some humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. And the amazing flow alone is soulful DILE was my first JJP pin and I'm glad I waited...for me, it's as good as it gets (and I've owned a fair number of games).

I also think they nailed the difficulty level on DI. Great balance that appeals to a spectrum of players. I bought SWLE at the same time as DILE and it, OTOH, is painfully hard. The ornate use of timers/sounds, funky multipliers, etc. I pulled in the pegs and the outlanes and still have a bitch of a time keeping the ball in play. I really want to like it, however just don't have fun with it most of the time. Oh well.

snaroff

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

On my DILE the back hand is impossible. It catches the right sling. Never found a solution. But I can hit the shot consistently enough from left flipper...

I had the same experience last night with backhands. Only way it works is if the ball is bouncing/moving. Oherwise it was impossible because of the sling.

I had much better luck shooting the phone shot than in the past. There wasn't a cliffy around the hole which helped.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

the game is much more fun with the setting that preserves SIM cards across balls.

Agreed - should be default. No cliffys, and preserved SIMs would have made a big difference. Someone get Pinball browser to work on JJP’s system, so we can change the sounds and I’d probably buy it back.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

For me, the game is much more fun with the setting that preserves SIM cards across balls. I really think this should have been the default. Will be interesting to see if they switch it in the next update.
Your comment about "no soul" is interesting. I don't feel that way. For example, the "Big Bang" shot that completes a mode is amazing. And when it goes in the SIM card hole immediately after hitting "Big Bang" it's magic. Game has some humor and doesn't take itself too seriously. And the amazing flow alone is soulful DILE was my first JJP pin and I'm glad I waited...for me, it's as good as it gets (and I've owned a fair number of games).
I also think they nailed the difficulty level on DI. Great balance that appeals to a spectrum of players. I bought SWLE at the same time as DILE and it, OTOH, is painfully hard. The ornate use of timers/sounds, funky multipliers, etc. I pulled in the pegs and the outlanes and still have a bitch of a time keeping the ball in play. I really want to like it, however just don't have fun with it most of the time. Oh well.
snaroff

By preserving the SIM cards across balls, in your opinion, how has that affected the game's difficulty? How many do you typically collect in a game with that option versus having it on the JJP default setting?

#94 5 years ago

I can backhand my phone scoop every time and make sim shot regularly. Wonder y u can on some and not on others. I cld see di being frustrating with those issue's

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I can backhand my phone scoop every time and make sim shot regularly. Wonder y u can on some and not on others. I cld see di being frustrating with those issue's

because you play well and they suck.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

On my DILE the back hand is impossible. It catches the right sling. Never found a solution.

Wow weird. never payed an LE though

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

DI adjustments are so numerous, so specifics, so different from one place to another, from one player to another that not a single machine plays like another one

#98 5 years ago

BOTH!

IMG_6509 (resized).jpgIMG_6509 (resized).jpg

#99 5 years ago

Awesome setup!

Which one do you find yourself playing more?

#100 5 years ago

I own both. I would get Dialed In.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

There are 157 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-or-mmr/page/2?hl=clg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.