(Topic ID: 171056)

"Dialed In" - One of the most interactive and feature packed pins yet?

By PanzerFreak

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14713659_1305046579513935_6207886326867446353_n (resized).jpg
55a (resized).jpg
dialied-in-1 (resized).jpg
54a (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 7 years ago

Like many others on Pinside I too felt disappointed with last nights JJP # 3 reveal as I watched the covers for the game come off live on Periscope . It was difficult to wrap my mind around just exactly what "Dialed In" is and what features it offers. For one I think it's hard to grasp exactly what fun a pinball machine offers when you can only see it through grainy video, hear it with poor audio, and not actually play it. Two, this is an original theme and therefore there's nothing to really compare it to which I think can make people feel hesitant about the game.

Also, I believe the way the live stream went off, basically no prep whatsoever + low quality, hurt the games initial reaction. It's obvious this game costs a lot of money to make and if JJP is saying it is as innovative and interactive as it is is then why not invest in a high quality HD stream of the video for the night? That part I don't understand. The entire presentation of the game needed more pop and showmanship.

After reading more about the game, what it offers, seeing close up pictures of the playfield and seeing video of the gameplay I think JJP may have another potential hit on their hands. Why?

1. The game offers a lot of innovation: The cell phone toy in the game is very interactive and along with the games built in camera I think it will hook a lot of players (including new players) when combined with the gameplay and impressive animations.
2. The toys!: The game offers multiple interactive toys from the moving target, the interactive phone, the LCD Einstein theater, the moving robot (seems like it moves and diverts the ball?), etc. It's definitely a loaded game.
2. "Value": I have value in quotes now as $9k for a pinball machine is insane but I don't see any other company at this price mark (Stern is charging nearly the same price for a Batman 66 premium...) offering a game with as much value as JJP is with Dialed In LE.

Negatives, just my opinion.

1. The 6,999 LE count is a joke.
2. Game is going for a super hero theme but if that hero is supposed to be a guy with a cell phone that is kinda lame...
3. JJP is now offering it's own "Super LE", just in unlimited numbers, at $12.5k!
4. Too much emphasis on the phone. Why not call the game "Quantum City" and offer city artwork on the cabinet instead of a guy holding a phone?

I wouldn't write Dialed In off by any means. I think as more people play the game we will hear more reports of just how fun and unique it really is (that's already happening based on other threads / posts).

Gamplay video

dialied-in-1 (resized).jpgdialied-in-1 (resized).jpg
55a (resized).jpg55a (resized).jpg
54a (resized).jpg54a (resized).jpg
14713659_1305046579513935_6207886326867446353_n (resized).jpg14713659_1305046579513935_6207886326867446353_n (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Strange idea for sure. I bet it will be fun but it definitely has that road show blah theme and art. Doesn't mean it won't be a good game though. I turned off the live feed last night as soon as I saw the theme, pretty meh.

#3 7 years ago

No.
but you do get a special attract mode animation!
Most of those bullet points are nonsense. How do the three flying drones keep from crashing into everything?

#4 7 years ago

I guess my biggest issue is Pinball is a throwback hobby. I play to do something other then stare at my phone. There's enough cell phones in the world and enough people looking at them constantly. I dont need a game based on cell phones or that incorporates one. I don't need a game that takes pictures for social media or any other bs. I just want a good Pinball machine.

#5 7 years ago

I agree the live feed did nothing to help here, and I think my problem with the pin is my own making, in that I had such high expectations all of the way around. I am sure it is innovative, and I am sure the play is phenomenal....but in my opinion, the artwork is really bad, and the theme needs to be tweaked. Like most, I think Quantum city would have been a better title. And that ringing.......that has to go. Aside from the play, I just can't see this sitting next to my WOZ. Maybe if they do an alternate wrap, I could get my head into it....I really want this to work for me as I love JJP games.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I guess my biggest issue is Pinball is a throwback hobby. I play to do something other then stare at my phone. There's enough cell phones in the world and enough people looking at them constantly. I dont need a game based on cell phones or that incorporates one. I don't need a game that takes pictures for social media or any other bs. I just want a good Pinball machine.

Great point, I agree. I think the game would have been better titled "Quantum City" instead of "Dialed In". It seems like JJP is going for a super hero theme but wants the phone to be the hero...that seems kinda lame.

#7 7 years ago

And one of the most expensive ever.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Yeah, but pinball reflects life. Phones are part of our lives now, so it makes sense to use the idea of a phone to introduce and communicate with the various characters in the game. Most people can immediately relate to that. Did you have a look at the gameplay video? It's pretty cool how the phone is used in the game.

#9 7 years ago

I think this game looks really cool, I look forward to playing it.

#10 7 years ago

I'm not ready to write the game off. I still want to play it. I'm not all that excited to connect my own phone to the game though.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Yeah, but pinball reflects life. Phones are part of our lives now, so it makes sense to use the idea of a phone to introduce and communicate with the various characters in the game. Most people can immediately relate to that. Did you have a look at the gameplay video? It's pretty cool how the phone is used in the game.

Good points Solarvalue. Last night I was thinking "Well, what if cell phones go away, won't this theme seem dated"? Currently I can't see what will replace cell phones, I'm sure something will but it may be years away and never get as much widespread attraction.

We have seen some crazy cell phone replacement concepts like a phone that get's projected onto an arm, phone in a watch, phone in a Google Glass type device and none of it just seems as practical as a regular smartphone.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

I'm not ready to write the game off. I still want to play it. I'm not all that excited to connect my own phone to the game though.

Same here, I don't have any interest in flipping the flippers through my phone. At no point during the presentation did I hear the JJP team say that you have to use your cell phone with the game. Personally I think the real cell phone interaction feature is designed to mainly be used on location as a way to get new players to try the game.

#14 7 years ago

I think it looks pretty cool. I can't afford it anymore so it doesn't matter. I have one question however. Why another fan layout with everything at the top of the game? Pat was good about not having your average fan layout on his older games so why not this one.

#15 7 years ago

Does that upper drone move along the wireform?

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I think it looks pretty cool. I can't afford it anymore so it doesn't matter. I have one question however. Why another fan layout with everything at the top of the game? Pat was good about not having your average fan layout on his older games so why not this one.

Because this one looks phoned in too?

Couldn't agree more, the layout looks like another Ritchie rehash. Same ole same ole.

That is the one thing you could count on with Lawlor. He went overboard on tech crazy and forgot about the layout I guess.

#17 7 years ago

I think a pinball machine looks strange without instruction cards of some sort on the apron. PF looks pretty cool otherwise.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I think a pinball machine looks strange without instruction cards of some sort on the apron. PF looks pretty cool otherwise.

They mentioned in the talk that you can add them.

#19 7 years ago

And its limited to 6999!

Lucky to sell 69

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

And its limited to 6999!
Lucky to sell 69

Haha, probably what they meant. I think the "9" Key was'nt dialled in yet ..

#21 7 years ago

At first I was disappointed and still kind of am. However I can see what he's trying to do here. Im anxious to try it as it could be pretty cool. My buddy played it and said it was pretty cool, so who knows. I'd reserve judgement until it's played. So many people wrote of woz because of theme alone and boy were they wrong.

#22 7 years ago

Dialed In thread overload! Closing this one, please continue discussion in one of the other DI threads. Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-one-of-the-most-interactive-and-feature-packed-pins-yet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.