Topic Stats

• 320 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Nighthawk128
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 21 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Dialed_In_Collectors_Edition (resized).png
f0d9b832d987ae9d5677fa2035517226198973f7 (resized).jpg
30b60f59e45be0871c36086f24285543ce4f07a0 (resized).jpg
IMG_2179 (resized).JPG
IMG_2179 (resized).JPG
IMG_0232 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 10.24.40 AM (resized).png
IMG_5257 (resized).PNG
Stone-Farking-Wheaton-w00tstout-2016-Trooper (resized).jpg
IMG_0052 (resized).JPG
IMG_2140 (resized).JPG
JJP_Wonka (resized).jpg
44 (resized).jpg
33 (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
3 (resized).png

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 3 years ago

Give it time, I agree with Joe, you need to play it. I absoluley was not a fan when it was released but I played it about 4-5 times and really enjoyed it. Understanding the rule set will only enhance the experience.

My only comment is something has to be done about that track in the middle. On the game I was playing, the ball kept popping off it because it wasn't even. That will be a serious wear spot if it isn't leveled out or protected.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

The game is fun and inventive. People playing it and seeing it in person here at Expo love it. I think like many games you need to reserve some opinions to stay open until you play it. I appreciate a lot of the commentary on pricing theme etc... Everything isn't for everyone. PinballSTAR sold more games in one day of Dialed In than we might regularly in 9 mos to a year. We placed a huge order with JJP yesterday for our initial allotment. I have confidence in JJP and Pat Lawlor that Dialed In is going to be a big hit. If this one isn't for you they'll be another and another and another with each I'm sure raising the bar. Last comment is everyone kinda hated WOZ and Hobbit when they were freshly revealed, and JJP has sold thousands of each. Time heals. Go play it over the next few months at launch parties and shows and enjoy learning more about it. For the collector in me not every game is for me but it's thrilling to have so many choices. We're all lucky these days whether you like a game or not. We could be all sitting around discussing and arguing about a 20 year game if not for all these new companies and games. Carry on : )
Joe

I played it the first night at the expo. I enjoyed the game, it has the Pat feel. I would love to play 5-10 games on it to get the full check of enjoyment. After only one game I give it a thumbs up(one game/i'm easily amused). Not sure if I liked the selfie mode. I was trying so hard to play that my face looked like I was pissed off in most of the selfie pics. OK it made me laugh after seeing my pics. I like the new platform design taking out that big metal box out of the cab and moving a small platform into the back box. It opens up the cab for more cool stuff. I'm not in the market right now for a new pin. Maybe a year from now I'll check to see what the newest version of LE/SE of Dialed In they have? Maybe they'll have a chrome or black version. I hope they do well. I want them all to do well. I like to have many options to spend my money on.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Everyone keeps talking about it costing $9k, but it's actually more than that since that price does not include shipping.

Go pick it up. 9k.
What pinball manufacturer includes shipping in the msrp?

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

When will people start to realize it's not a cell phone theme? It's a city disaster theme. The cell phone is just a part of it.

The game prominently featured Momjeans McCellphone on every part of the game. It's called Dialed In. It's clear what theme they WANT us to think it is. That's on JJP, not the customer for "not getting it".

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Go pick it up. 9k.
What pinball manufacturer includes shipping in the msrp?

Street price on Sterns is typicly $1000 below MSRP, including shipping.

#56 3 years ago

Nobody seems to remember Jack's promise when he took our early deposits for WOZ and helped him finance the opening of his new company. He promised that he would always give a price break to those of us who bought his games and stayed loyal to him and his products on his future games. Well....I have a WOZ and a Hobbit that I bought NIB. And I am NOT getting any type of discount for being a loyal buyer.

Even if he offered a discount to us with a $500 non refundable deposit it would be some type of break. But this $9000 price has me pushed out of the line for his new game.

It starts to look more and more like you cannot believe anything that ANY pinball manufacturer says or promises anymore.

#57 3 years ago

When will people start to realize it's not a cell phone theme? It's a city disaster theme. The cell phone is just a part of it.

People will realize it when the cell phone ring, selfie nonsense and ridiculously dumb cell phone on table features are removed. In fact after removing those three, drop the price to something reasonable and I'm back in.

No one doubts this game plays well.... It's Pat. The price and dumb cell phone inclusion kills it right now.

#58 3 years ago

The price is indeed a problem. Probably more psychological however since we're getting trained to accept these constant pricing "bumps" from Stern also. Like the frog sitting in a pot as the water heats up to a boil.

With that in mind if it were even $8499 that might have gone down better. After all JJP is known for supposedly using better quality components and better build quality... and has the upscale price to go with it. So people expect to pay more - but 9k right out of the gate
is the definition of "sticker shock".

#59 3 years ago

Price is to high however if I loved the theme Id be in but between price and theme no way.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

JJP has never been an interesting pinball manufacturer for me..

Because they don't build STARTREK pinball machines
You own all 5 versions zitt !

Ofcourse they don't interest you

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

People will realize it when the cell phone ring, selfie nonsense and ridiculously dumb cell phone on table features are removed. In fact after removing those three, drop the price to something reasonable and I'm back in.
No one doubts this game plays well.... It's Pat. The price and dumb cell phone inclusion kills it right now.

Thing is... the phone makes for a good tool as it's a smaller screen that allows silly characters to give gameplay advice, etc. Pat probably didn't expect such hostility and emotion towards a cell phone. To him it may just seem a ubiquitous part of life these days.

Still I would have changed the look of it a bit and called it a "quake-o-meter" or something. Then name the game "Quantum City Destruction" and gotten rid of the goofy kid holding up the cellphone like it's Excalibur. Market it as Pat's next great disaster themed game and call it a day

Oh - and sell it a tad cheaper so the price doesn't smack you in the face so rudely.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Still I would have changed the look of it a bit and called it a "quake-o-meter" or something. Then name the game "Quantum City Destruction" and gotten rid of the goofy kid holding up the cellphone like it's Excalibur. Market it as Pat's next great disaster themed game and call it a day
Oh - and sell it a tad cheaper so the price doesn't smack you in the face so rudely.

What if that was their plan all along? Then Jack sells those 5 prototypes for $30k each for a little Xmas bonus

#63 3 years ago

Looks like a super fun and interesting game and hope to play one at Allentown in May.

For many people, like myself, the $9000 price doesn't matter at all because I wouldn't be interested even if it was $6000. Some people just enjoy playing pinball but won't spend thousands on a game.

Looking forward to inserting some dollar bills and playing on location and free at shows, and that's enough for me.

#64 3 years ago

Jack will take feedback in I'm quite sure of that. So park a refundable $250 on a deposit if you want or don't and just go play it over the next 6 mos at shows and launch parties and wait and see what shakes out. Deposits are refundable, it's not a lot to put out if you're unsure. Go play it. Things might shake out differently based on feedback over time. That said and I'll repeat as said here by a few those who played it loved it. We sold more DI's than we might usually in 9 mos time. The games a home run. Give them time if they choose to make it a grand slam for everybody. Pat Lawlor's back and we have an unlicensed theme with a TON of toys. What more do you want ? Go back 3-5 years and that's what everyone asked for. Congrats to JJP. If not for them we'd all be playing NBA style games right now.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What if that was their plan all along? Then Jack sells those 5 prototypes for $30k each for a little Xmas bonus

I like the way you think you devious bastard!

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Pat probably didn't expect such hostility and emotion towards a cell phone.

There was very little "hostility" towards the cell phone in person. As a distributor I talked with probably 50-75 different groups of people at the show. 95% of them really enjoyed the game. The geometry and flow back to the flippers is amazing. The subtleties of integration is great (lasers that travel down the playfiled to "shock" your flippers during multiball so you can't cradle the balls forever). I know people are not happy with the pricing, but shipping isn't scheduled until 2q of 2017. Who knows, it might change by then. When it comes to a show near you, take a second to play it and just enjoy the game.

I'll tell you this much, I'm already putting money aside so I can have one in my personal collection.

Edit: damn joe, you beat me to it by just seconds. Glad we are both on the same page. As a "competitor" I can say with confidence that joe is a great guy. Buy knowing he is selling himself to you, not just selling the game.

#67 3 years ago

This game looks epic. I do hope the standard is priced reasonably even if some of the toys are gone.

I want to operate one and get it in the public, the obvious things such as shaker, powder coat, some of the toys players won't care about on location. Heck put in a smaller monitor, no players will care...

If the standard is priced around 6000-6500, I think op's like me can justify buying one over a $5200 stern. Otherwise it will just stay in collectors homes. I hope Jack is listening.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

There was very little "hostility" towards the cell phone in person. As a distributor I talked with probably 50-75 different groups of people at the show. 95% of them really enjoyed the game. The geometry and flow back to the flippers is amazing. The subtleties of integration is great (lasers that travel down the playfiled to "shock" your flippers during multiball so you can't cradle the balls forever). I know people are not happy with the pricing, but shipping isn't scheduled until 2q of 2017. Who knows, it might change by then. When it comes to a show near you, take a second to play it and just enjoy the game.
I'll tell you this much, I'm already putting money aside so I can have one in my personal collection.
Edit: damn joe, you beat me to it by just seconds. Glad we are both on the same page. As a "competitor" I can say with confidence that joe is a great guy. Buy knowing he is selling himself to you, not just selling the game.

Hee hee Chris we both said essentially the same thing. Thanks for kind words. It's really cool to be such good friends with all my competitors. Respect right back at you. Buy from Chris with confidence as well. I give everyone a free puppy with each purchase however so I'm just a little more cooler.

IMG_2140 (resized).JPG

#69 3 years ago

Game is fun ,shoots well . I do agree that the cell phone theme is totally lame ,but when you play the game it seems more based around the imaginary city in the game than a cell phone . They should have titled this game Quantum city or something and I bet a lot of the negativity around the theme would not be here . Price is way too high for me ,but I would be interested in buying a used one in a few years if I could find one for a decent price .

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Congrats to JJP. If not for them we'd all be playing NBA style games right now.

#71 3 years ago

My first reaction to the game on Thursday was crap. Then I watched some videos then was at expo on Saturday and played it 4x. My opinion changes. It's cool and a ton of fun. Typical lawlor.

My complaint - price. I'll wait for the second hand market or just play at shows etc. $7500 im a buyer, 9k no.

That being said, it's gonna sell. It's flat out fun.

Good luck Joe

#72 3 years ago

I've purchased WOZ and GB without playing either. I'll need to play this first to see if it's worth 9k or not. It may be very well worth it - I just don't know yet.

#73 3 years ago

Game looks fantastic! Not bothered by the theme or name one bit. This would be my NIB of choice if money were no object. However, if Expo taught me anything its that I'm priced out of NIB pinball. I can only justify spending so much money on a toy. Glad JJP is at least considering a standard model at a lower price, but even so... I just can't see me paying $6.. $7... $8K for anything less than a fully blown-out top-of-the-line machine. I understand the reality of modern NIB pinball, but I'll have to sit and wait for the game to come back to me (so to speak). Lots of older pins to farm.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Street price on Sterns is typicly $1000 below MSRP, including shipping.

Great point. Why is there no price competition between JJP distributors like there is with Stern distributors? Who the hell pays MSRP for anything?

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from Walt:

For me, this dialed in call has failed !

Thanks Kaneda.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

So park a refundable $250 on a deposit if you want or don't and just go play it over the next 6 mos at shows and launch parties and wait and see what shakes out.

I actually thought about doing just that, but if I did it would only be on the hope that the price was lowered. And since I'm assuming pre-order numbers get reported back to JJP, I don't want to give the impression that I'm OK with the price as it stands.

I admit I don't know anything about running a business, nor do I have any idea what the production cost is on this game. But if you were to hypothetically sell 500 of them at $9,000 to make the math easy, you'd only have to sell 143 more at $7000 and you're already ahead in terms of money taken in. Maybe the BOM is too high for that, I don't know. Obviously there's no guarantees on sales numbers, but based on peoples' reactions to this game - and even more so to the Stern Batman machine (which I LOVE the theme of, but find their handling of despicable and would NEVER pay that much for a premium (aka LE for Batman pro)) - it seems clear they'd sell a lot more at the prices people were expecting. But I assume people with a lot more experience than me were the ones who came up with the price, so they must have known what they were doing. Still, reading through all the threads and the number of people saying they'd buy if it were cheaper, it looks like they're leaving a lot of money on the table.

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Pat Lawlor's back and we have an unlicensed theme with a TON of toys. What more do you want ? Go back 3-5 years and that's what everyone asked for.

You forgot to include the word COOL between "an" and "unlicensed" in your first sentence.
If this "original theme" was COOL then $9000.00 wouldn't be the problem for me any many others.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Congrats to JJP. If not for them we'd all be playing NBA style games right now.

What a fucking joke. You should probably go check the release dates of games.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Well....I have a WOZ and a Hobbit that I bought NIB. And I am NOT getting any type of discount for being a loyal buyer.

JJP and Stern are missing the boat in not having some kind of loyalty rewards program giving consistent buyers another reason to keep buying.

Jack says a lot of things he really doesn't mean. Maybe that was a joke too? But yeah, i remember that as well.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Because they don't build STARTREK pinball machines
You own all 5 versions zitt !

Ofcourse they don't interest you

I do own a RFM you know and a P3 when it's finally available.

Quoted from PinballSTAR:

We sold more DI's than we might usually in 9 mos time. The games a home run.

Ok. That's a knee jerk reaction. Be sure to report back when people realize they can get their deposit back.
I suspect you will also have the largest return you have ever seen in a 9mth time. IE when people go back and tell their wives.

#81 3 years ago

OK, here is my 2 cents on Dialed In:
1. With cell phones, most people never use the term "Dial," or some-such, anymore.
'Dialing' was best associated with the old rotary DIAL phones - and they died back in about the mid-80s.
To me, the use of the phrase 'dial' with a cellphone toy seems a bit old school vs. modern day.

2. PinballStar is located in Dallas, PA - that's a 3 hour drive each way from me (provided I become a buyer, which is highly unlikely).

With a $9K NIB pin (or that $15K absurdity Batman 66) - do I get a tech to come live with me, when the game's fancy new sh*t breaks that I can't fix?

I mean, for dropping $9K+ for these new titles (NOT including shipping, etc., etc) - I expect white-glove, polish my knob, at my beck-and-call, Domino Pizza kind of speedy service - nothing less. In the form of some highly knowledgable pinball technician - none of that 'we'll trouble-shoot this over the phone when we have a few minutes' kind of stuff.

Has there been any indication or info provided on field service for these new ultra-high-end pins?
Is anyone who can't fix it, going to just let it sit for that kind of money? Heck NO.

Who ya gonna call? A&E Home Repair? The guys lounging down at the Sears store, or who?
And really - if we're moving into the new stratosphere of $10,000 - $15,000 - or GAWD, even more expensive pins - what kind of real field service will we as buyers get?

Afterall, with taking this much $$$ from us, we should honestly EXPECT never-before-seen-in-the-home-or-on-the-route field service, from these manufacturers.

Hands-on, factory field service should now match this expense, IMHO.

#82 3 years ago

7k range and I'd be in. Guess I'll keep my eye on it or look to continue with the classics. Joe has been great to work with in the past, so will buy from him if I get in.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from twoplays25c:

OK, here is my 2 cents on Dialed In:
1. With cell phones, most people never use the term "Dial," or some-such, anymore.
'Dialing' was best associated with the old rotary DIAL phones - and they died back in about the mid-80s.
To me, the use of the phrase 'dial' with a cellphone toy seems a bit old school vs. modern day.
2. PinballStar is located in Dallas, PA - that's a 3 hour drive each way from me (provided I become a buyer, which is highly unlikely).
With a $9K NIB pin (or that $15K absurdity Batman 66) - do I get a tech to come live with me, when the game's fancy new sh*t breaks that I can't fix?
I mean, for dropping $9K+ for these new titles (NOT including shipping, etc., etc) - I expect white-glove, polish my knob, at my beck-and-call, Domino Pizza kind of speedy service - nothing less. In the form of some highly knowledgable pinball technician - none of that 'we'll trouble-shoot this over the phone when we have a few minutes' kind of stuff.
Has there been any indication or info provided on field service for these new ultra-high-end pins?
Is anyone who can't fix it, going to just let it sit for that kind of money? Heck NO.
Who ya gonna call? A&E Home Repair? The guys lounging down at the Sears store, or who?
And really - if we're moving into the new stratosphere of $10,000 - $15,000 - or GAWD, even more expensive pins - what kind of real field service will we as buyers get?
Afterall, with taking this much $$$ from us, we should honestly EXPECT never-before-seen-in-the-home-or-on-the-route field service, from these manufacturers.
Hands-on, factory field service should now match this expense, IMHO.

You raise a good point. If I was to buy from someone not jersey jack, whats the point? They arn't going to be local to help out, they probably won't have parts on hand like old school williams dist's did. They might be able to help, but will probably just have you call lloyd. They'll take their $500 ish in commission for selling it and make a few phone calls to have it shipped to you.

If I paid $12,500 for a pin, i'd want it delivered, set up, inspected and fine tuned for that price, as well as a quick service call when something breaks for X months. I'd want them to have a bunch of game specific parts for repairs. Ramps, targets, assemblies, etc.

#84 3 years ago

Is this a potential problem ? They get 2000 deposits of $250 dollars. They build them and then 80% of customers ( 1600 ) pull out. What happens then ?

#85 3 years ago

So the Collectors Edition is priced at $12500. Top end collectible. And yet, no idea how many will be made? That is bonkers! If a collector wants to buy a rare, top of the range collectible, they need to know the production run.

And the LE. It is not an LE with a run of 1 - 6999.

This is just such basic stuff I am just amazed this kind of stuff leaves the boardroom

#86 3 years ago

This games going to build a ton of traction as it goes around to shows...people who play it love it...

#87 3 years ago

You should tell Pat Lawlor that since he apparently misunderstood the theme and named the game wrong.

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

This games going to build a ton of traction as it goes around to shows...people who play it love it...

And they don't even drop any coins at shows never mind buy the game.

#89 3 years ago

Just too dam expensive - I know I would love the game but nice to save money as buying this for $9k is just foolish in my opinion

#90 3 years ago

Ok. That's a knee jerk reaction. Be sure to report back when people realize they can get their deposit back.
I suspect you will also have the largest return you have ever seen in a 9mth time. IE when people go back and tell their wives.

"A phone rings and the games called Dialed In. " "Sounds terrible but if it's a few grand...err it's 9k + shipping

#91 3 years ago

Pinball Heaven in UK. How many orders so far ? ( NON- refundable £250 btw )

#92 3 years ago

because that would require people to think, and not just being trolling jackasses.

#93 3 years ago

Well, lots of knee jerk reactions everywhere.

Aliens great code, although I couldn't repeat it correctly., and some of it now posted

Dialed in, fun to the 10th level, new, exciting, deep, well built, and so much to come.

Batman looks great, but no game play yet.

All winners for all of us!

Whether you but it or not, 3 new games to play at shows, tournaments and friends.
Or pop a $1 in and go for a flip!

#94 3 years ago

Sure have as much fun as you can. ( It won't be easy over here at $11500 ) But this thread is essentially about whether JJP is going to SELL this game in numbers that would be considered a success.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

or the game...

You didn't enjoy it when you played it? Oh wait..you probably have never even seen the game in person..LOL..Nice job!!

#96 3 years ago

I seem to always agree with oldpinguy and I'm only 64.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

It's clearly not the price. It's already a big hit with big sales numbers.

That's great to hear if it's true! You have to remember these aren't "sales numbers" yet as all you need to do is put down a deposit of 250 at this point. I am sure a lot of people jumped on it and then once they play it or once it comes time to pay the balance they can cancel, correct?

Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash the game as JJP has put out two great games so far and I hope this is a third!! For me, it's the price that keeps me from purchasing NIB and I think it's safe to say that a lot of others it is too!!

If the price wasn't so high I would have an order in with Joe!!!

#98 3 years ago

Not particularly fond of the machine name, but the killer for me is the price. I have very limited space - basically can add one more machine - so the next machine I get has to be as much of a keeper as possible. I'll wait to play it in the wild before I consider...

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I've been waiting my entire life for a cell phone themed game. Put me down for 3!

I do wish they used a flip phone, for easier transport, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#100 3 years ago

Can everyone just agree on one thing - We have Stern, JJP, Heighway, Dutch, Spooky all making great games for us. How many new reveals at Expo ? Dialed In, Batman 66, Alien, and even count Spooky there with Dominos... 4 ? Come on now - lighten up folks. I get the pricing and all that - I really really do. But can we at least say THANKS to someone for once ? I had a great show enjoying the company of so many friends and seeing all the great new stuff these companies are putting out and I want to gouge my eyes out reading all these posts from people who weren't at show and haven't played the game. Lighten up, wait for JJP to absorb the feedback, go to a launch party or show and play it.

How many things did JJP do RIGHT you all asked for years for these companies to do...
1. Pat Lawlor back to designing games
2. Unlicensed theme
3. Innovative toys and technology - not just the same old same old like 20 year old B/W games from the 90's.
4. No pre-order money. $ 250 Refundable - no money til shipping - pretty much a total reversal.

That said - WAIT UNTIL THIS SHAKES OUT please. There is lots of time for things to be done on pricing if they choose. Haven't you learned anything about JJP yet - remember inital Hobbit art, the 'where's Smaug' cries... they listened and adjusted things and I don't see one other company doing that, give these guys a chance to digest the feedback.

Love you all - but argh... can't we EVER be happy with anything in this hobby. I'm the most positive guy you will find in this hobby but the negativity in the face of all this great new stuff is just beyond comprehension - and that goes for the backlash against every company - not just JJP, Stern too. Most of you guys will bitch a storm online then if you meet Jack or Gary or Pat Lawlor or Steve Richie you'd ask them to sign your flyer. Yes ? Type like you would if you were in front of these folks in person. Admire what they all do for the hobby.
I love this hobby and I love the all people involved companies, vendors, competitive players, collectors - how so many can be so negative on something you supposedly love so much is beyond me...

We're having a Dialed In Launch Party on Sat November 5th at Pinball Gallery in Philly... Come play it, have a slice of pizza, enjoy the company of other pinheads, get some free stuff, and have a great day. Details here :
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstars-jjp3-pat-lawlor-launch-party-sat-115-malvern-pa

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Marketplace Ad Listing this topic was linked to has ended.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside