You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

poll-online-vote-icon-outline-style-vector-37101487 (resized).jpg
6d358159cf6422a03be09efd84a3c856.gif
dennis-laugh.gif
proxy-image.gif
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago

Owned both, JP is in another league. IMO, it deserves to be in the top 5 of all time. Listen I'm a Lawlor fan, and he's still a great designer in my book but DI was just a chore to play. He put a lot of eye candy in it but it was a boring as f to shoot.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Owned both, JP is in another league. IMO, it deserves to be in the top 5 of all time. Listen I'm a Lawlor fan, and he's still a great designer in my book but DI was just a chore to play. He put a lot of eye candy in it but it was a boring as f to shoot.

Agreed, shaking my head at those choosing dialed in. Worry that OP will listen to them and make a huge mistake.

Dialed in is not a complete GAME. It is a pinball tech demo. Jurassic park is maybe the most cohesively and thoughtfully designed GAME in pinball history.

I LOVED dialed in when I first got it, for about two weeks. The more you play it and the more you start realizing is huge flaws. JP is the opposite, the more I think about it the more I appreciate its nuance and attention to detail.

Also, while the JP theme is not true to the movie and is more of an original JP theme it is incredibly polished and well done. The production value is through the roof. Great music, sounds, and even call outs. Dialed in has a straight up horrendous video/sound package.

Last thing to keep in mind, dialed in weighs about 400 pounds and is an absolute pain in the ass to move up or down stairs.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Agreed, shaking my head at those choosing dialed in. Worry that OP will listen to them and make a huge mistake.
Dialed in is not a complete GAME. It is a pinball tech demo. Jurassic park is maybe the most cohesively and thoughtfully designed GAME in pinball history.
I LOVED dialed in when I first got it, for about two weeks. The more you play it and the more you start realizing is huge flaws. JP is the opposite, the more I think about it the more I appreciate its nuance and attention to detail.
Also, while the JP theme is not true to the movie and is more of an original JP theme it is incredibly polished and well done. The production value is through the roof. Great music, sounds, and even call outs. Dialed in has a straight up horrendous video/sound package.
Last thing to keep in mind, dialed in weighs about 400 pounds and is an absolute pain in the ass to move up or down stairs.

Quoted from nicoy3k:

You’re right DI is unbelievably heavy and it has sharp edges on the underside of the cab so it 100% kills your hands moving that sucker

#54 2 years ago

DI without a doubt.

#55 2 years ago

This is why I think there are two pinball philosophies that exist. While others are not wrong in their assessment of JP vs DI, most make an assumption on these threads everyone is a pinball purest and a pretty good player who can progress a linear game like JP.

I am not saying DI is a top 5 pinball machine of all time, but I am saying JP is NOT a top 5 either.

My issues with it, which might help the OP:

#1 -The lack of real movie assets are a problem that only either Elwin fans, or good pinball players who prefer complex rules- are OK with. For everyone else, it will get frustrating and boring, with no real nostalgic WOW moments. #2 - The game shoots clunky, period. There is "decent" flow, but if we are being honest, unless you own a Pro, the Premium has no flow. #3 - Probably most important, it gets far too repetitive. The atmosphere is world-class for about the first 50 games and that's it...especially if you suck and you cannot progress in the game...it becomes the same game every time you press start.

Now, for a STERN, yes it is a beauty to behold. It is one of the better tables toys wise and theme "under glass" they have made. With that said, JJP theme integration and toys are better almost in every table they have period. It's just a different experience that you can't judge until a JJP sits in your home.

Back to the skill level point. My wife really wanted to like it, but since the game is so linear, she can't even capture two dinosaurs. I understand that's a skill issue for her, but there are pinball tables where you can feel some sense of progression within your first 20-25 games even if you are a bad player. This (JP) is not one of those tables. DI actually is, she is quite good at it ironically.

Oh and did I mention the code? I think I did, but it's worth mentioning again! You get suckered in by the theme, then you find out it's unintuitive. Every single house party I have, folks gravitate toward JP in the beginning, then after they put two games in, no one is playing it. They would rather play Mando, GOTG, The Hobbit, GNR, TMNT you name it...they have no idea what the heck is going on on JP.

With all that, I'd say buy DI, and play JP on location and after $30-40 bucks of play if you still love it...just spend more time at your local bar playing . Unlike DI, that JP table is everywhere!

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

This is why I think there are two pinball philosophies that exist. While others are not wrong in their assessment of JP vs DI, most make an assumption on these threads everyone is a pinball purest and a pretty good player who can progress a linear game like JP.
I am not saying DI is a top 5 pinball machine of all time, but I am saying JP is NOT a top 5 either.
#1 -The lack of real movie assets are a problem that only either Elwin fans, or good pinball players who prefer complex rules- are OK with. For everyone else, it will get frustrating and boring, with no real nostalgic WOW moments. #2 - The game shoots clunky, period. There is "decent" flow, but if we are being honest, unless you own a Pro, the Premium has no flow. #3 - Probably most important, it gets far too repetitive. The atmosphere is world-class for about the first 50 games and that's it...especially if you suck and you cannot progress in the game...it becomes the same game every time you press start.
Now, for a STERN, yes it is a beauty to behold. It is one of the better tables toys wise and theme "under glass" they have made. With that said, JJP theme integration and toys are better almost in every table they have period. It's just a different experience that you can't judge until a JJP sits in your home.
Back to the skill level point. My wife really wanted to like it, but since the game is so linear, she can't even capture two dinosaurs. I understand that's a skill issue for her, but there are pinball tables where you can feel some sense of progression within your first 20-25 games even if you are a bad player. This (JP) is not one of those tables. DI actually is, she is quite good at it ironically.
Oh and did I mention the code? I think I did, but it's worth mentioning again! You get suckered in by the theme, then you find out it's unintuitive. Every single house party I have, folks gravitate toward JP in the beginning, then after they put two games in, no one is playing it. They would rather play Mando, GOTG, The Hobbit, GNR, TMNT you name it...they have no idea what the heck is going on on JP.
With all that, I'd say buy DI, and play JP on location and after $30-40 bucks of play if you still love it...just spend more time at your local bar playing . Unlike DI, that JP table is everywhere!

Couldn’t disagree more with everything written here. But everyone is entitled to an opinion.

#57 2 years ago

I had a DICE that looked and played amazing but since moving it on I don’t miss it, but enjoyed it while it was here. Offer I couldn’t refuse.
Cut myself a few times lowering the playfield back down after adjusting the BOB trap door as you do!
Only played JP on location and didn’t really enjoy it that much, maybe if I had it at home I might have.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

The Top 100 rankings is the broadest poll you could ever ask for.

Nothing but love you for u, but I think we have pretty clearly identified over time that the top 100 rankings is kinda BS. Don't get me wrong, it's a good starting point but sooooo far off for me personally and many others.

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

With all that, I'd say buy DI, and play JP on location and after $30-40 bucks of play if you still love it...just spend more time at your local bar playing
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"6ceae9bbd2a4b85b74af237887d217fb0d056e94-1633261325-1800"};
//]]>

. Unlike DI, that JP table is everywhere!

I completely disagree. #1 You can have movie assets if you like. #2 JP has tons of flow on either model. I don’t even understand how you could argue the pro has flow and the premium doesn’t when the shots are the same unless you’re feeding the TRex. #3 If the only thing you’re doing is trying to capture dinosaurs, then you’re creating a linear game out of a game that gives you plenty of ways to play.

#60 2 years ago

This is a close one for me own both. They are two of the best pins ever, I’m not the greatest player so have not reached anything close to the end on either but DI has easier shots and is so smooth and super loaded it reminds me of a modern TZ.

JP is more complicated and harder for me to progress but is a bit more exciting at times.

I prefer harder pins so likely if was only getting one it would be JP.

However this is one I’d try to get both.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from smokinhos:

I think we have pretty clearly identified over time that the top 100 rankings is kinda BS.

Actually it is exactly the opposite. Over time the Top 100 settles out to be fairly accurate. It's when new games come out and everyone is all excited about them and they drop in to the Top 100 in first place. Everyone gets all up in arms when this happens, but then they slowly settle out to where they belong. It has happened time and time again. JP and DI have been out long enough to settle into place where pinsiders feel they belong. People might disagree, but that is life. We all have opinions. To me AFM is better than MM and always has been, yet MM has been ranked number one since before the Pinside 100 existed. IMHO JP is also better than MM and I would not have DI in my Top 100.

#62 2 years ago

Both are excellent pins that have enjoyable layouts, toys, and things to do. I think clearstar is correct when he says JP is on location everywhere, DI is much tougher to find in the wild. You can’t make a bad choice when selecting between the two. If you are like many here on Pinside you will own them both at some point.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

Both are excellent pins that have enjoyable layouts, toys, and things to do. I think clearstar is correct when he says JP is on location everywhere, DI is much tougher to find in the wild. You can’t make a bad choice when selecting between the two. If you are like many here on Pinside you will own them both at some point.

you can make a bad choice IMO

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from clearstar:

With all that, I'd say buy DI, and play JP on location and after $30-40 bucks of play if you still love it...just spend more time at your local bar playing
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"7d8766cbedcf68542c20980b5b49b67907556c18-1633277766-1800"};
//]]>

. Unlike DI, that JP table is everywhere!

One thing about JP… I like the code, but if anyone struggles with JP you probably want to stay away from AIQ.

#65 2 years ago

FWIW- DI and JP are fantastic shooting games all around but find I’m mainly the one playing them.
DI probably the easier on casuals/family.
The newer LCD generation of games have attractive themes but are fast and not very intuitive for guests. The screen only distracts them more than helps. Surprisingly, a game like Beatles gets the most positive reaction and repeat plays from guests as it’s less intimidating and just fun to shoot.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

JP prem is the best designed game I’ve ever played. The perfect merging of code and layout.

^^^
This.

#67 2 years ago

I hope this is true,I have one coming this December,if all goes well ? My main complaint with Dialed In was how hard the Sim shot was to hit,for me at least. But what a rush when you did hit it !
I can't really say which is better, because I only played JP a couple dozen times. I really think you have to play each one ,and then decide for yourself.

#68 2 years ago

These are my 2 favorite pins in my collection that have gotten the most play. What makes DI great is the constant feeling of dread in trying to get the Sim Cards (if you set them to be lost upon drain). A drain in DI just feels devastating. Many of the modes are really really well balanced and timed. The main downsides are there's really only 6 shots compared to 8 for JP, and JP's shots are generally more satisfying. The main multiball isn't integrated well in with the rest of the code (JP surprisingly has the same problem though), and the ancillary items like hitting train, spider, etc. doesn't seem integrated well.

If I had one choice, I'd go with JP as it's only downside is the main T-Rex multiball, and I wish it didn't feed to the outlanes so hard. The wizard mode you can start at the beginning is also a great change of pace. I'd certainly aim to own both though. DI, JP & Pirates are my top 3 games.

#69 2 years ago

JP easily over Dialed In.

Dialed In is entertaining for a bit, but then gets stale imo. I'm not a fan of the flippers being disabled, reversed, no-hold, and such so the rumbling of the flippers in multiball is not for me. The mechanic in the back is random (it seems) but greatly affects flow. The SIM shot is the most important in the game and basically can't be directly shot, more of a lucky bounce. The side modes are boring and worthless as for points. So it is a linear game basically progressing thru the disasters (many of which are well-done). I like the different characters for each disaster too. But for me, the negatives (including spongy, weak JJP flippers) outweigh the positives so I sold mine and honestly don't miss it a bit.

JP has a better layout imo and better rules. The progression thru the paddocks is a bit linear, but the rules associated with this are unique with the rescues and dinosaur captures. The control room modes are very well-done as are the t-rex modes. I like the DNA combos as well. CHAOS is a nice nod to the DE game. The mini wizard modes and final wizard mode are all solid too. All in all, JP is a very good title, and one of the best machines in a long time imo. Casual players may not find it intuitive at first, but the basics can easily be explained.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

you can make a bad choice IMO

You should make a bad choice and get a Dialed In

#71 2 years ago

Have both, think DI has better toys, smoother shots but as said the code is not as good as JP (masterpiece) to me the code of JP is next level and DI is old school. Still fun on DI but my vote does go for JP.

#72 2 years ago

I have both. As an arcade operator, Dialed In was not popular and did not earn well. However, non pinheads seem to love Dialed In when they come to my house for the selfie mode, emojis, cell phone. It does have some great buttery shots and modes, once you get past the somewhat hokey theme. Jurrassic park is also immensely popular and earns well. People know the movies and most people love dinosaurs. There are some easy things for newbies (trex multi ball), but incredible depth and different ways to play. There also some really satisfying shots (I think more than dialed in).

Bottom line is they are both great games, but I would certainly pick Jurassic Park by quite a bit for a long term keeper.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You should make a bad choice and get a Dialed In

I did, sold it immediately because it’s not a finished game code wise.

#74 2 years ago

I had to sell JP Premium or Dialed In to make way for GNR. JP was newer to me, but my 21 year old boy said “you can’t sell JP”. I miss my DI. But I don’t think I made the wrong choice.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Just kidding man,but you just seem to care too much that he might get a DI haha

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Saying DI is not finished code wise is not a reasonable position, it is done, but there is always more that could possibly be added. It is not some half finished game. Hell, I own a JJP POTC and a DI and a GNR, DI is the most "done" out of all of them.

But just like most 90's pins it has a handful of goals, and not all of the goals mesh together to form one big whole. Heck, even JP has different paths to go on. Do you want to go for control room modes, T-Rex modes etc... they are removed from the paddock progression. Does not make them bad, just different choices.

FWIW DI also does not lend itself to "forever" multiballs with all the attacks. I would not want that in every game, but compared to say GNR a game that more focuses on single ball play is a nice change of pace!

#77 2 years ago

this poll had JP 15 votes and DI five votes, but DI was the highest voted JJP game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6-pin-collection-only-lcds-only-lcd-#post-6530658

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

The game can be unbalanced and exploited. You can basically ignore the Bob modes. The main strategy is to light Big Bang, start a disaster, hit Big Bang, and then get the Sim Card..... and repeat. If your goal is to get the highest scores almost everything else can be ignored. I wouldn't recommend playing it that way, but that is a solid strategy for a very high score.

DI shoots really nice and all the fluff makes it look luxury and will impress guests.
Share your view completely though rule wise DI is a one trick pony.

JP is a bit bricky. Hate the raping of the theme. Code and gameplay rules and structure is really awesome.

For playing over time, i´d easily go JP.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

this poll had JP 15 votes and DI five votes, but DI was the highest voted JJP game.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/6-pin-collection-only-lcds-only-lcd-#post-6530658

I think hobbit is the best game ever. Havent played all but a lot.
The ruleset and structure is simply the best ever and there simply arent any wizard modes in any pin, that come close to the ones in hobbit.

#80 2 years ago

DI is a joy to play, I've own mine for a year now and I enjoy playing it more than any other game.
It flows like no other game, the modes and scoring system are designed for that flow, it's smooth, fluid, an impressive achievement in Pinball design IMO.

I haven't seen all of it yet, there's some good surprises, the quantum theater is a toy like no other and I do enjoy waiving my hand in front of the camera to scratch a ticket.

Definitely underrated and top of my personal list.

#81 2 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

DI is a joy to play, I've own mine for a year now and I enjoy playing it more than any other game.
It flows like no other game, the modes and scoring system are designed for that flow, it's smooth, fluid, an impressive achievement in Pinball design IMO.
I haven't seen all of it yet, there's some good surprises, the quantum theater is a toy like no other and I do enjoy waiving my hand in front of the camera to scratch a ticket.
Definitely underrated and top of my personal list.

Exactly my feelings for my DI the first two years!

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

I think hobbit is the best game ever. Havent played all but a lot.
The ruleset and structure is simply the best ever and there simply arent any wizard modes in any pin, that come close to the ones in hobbit.

I’ll agree enter the fire is an awesome mini wizard. Call outs are awesome. But the hobbit is boring. And every game feels the same unfortunately. Oh and barrel escape is terrible mini wizard such a let down from enter the fire. And I only got to seven nation war once or twice but there’s a 40min plus game to get there

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

DI shoots really nice and all the fluff makes it look luxury and will impress guests.
Share your view completely though rule wise DI is a one trick pony.
JP is a bit bricky. Hate the raping of the theme. Code and gameplay rules and structure is really awesome.
For playing over time, i´d easily go JP.

I will say this... DI can be exploited and blown up going for modes + Big Bang + Sim Card... but t's not like it is easy to master those shots. Just like hitting the castle in MM will lead to high scores... knowing it is one thing... but doing it is another. I still find the game fun, and challenging. I like the overall goofiness to the game. People will either love it or not... and they will know within a couple of games.

JP is a totally different type of game. It is a ton of fun, great code with multiple paths, there are some easy shots and some really hard ones (that stupid C shot is my death) so you really can't go wrong. It is a game that is easy to score 50M but pretty hard to get over 500M, so it is easy to get in a bit of a rut with the game (but not as bad as AIQ).

We have the two games sitting next to each other and they are probably our two most played games.

#84 2 years ago

Two of my top 3 of the LCD era. So, yeah, can't help ya. You won't go wrong either way though. Are either on location by you? That's the tie breaker.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Edit.....Lloyd beat my post, so add a point, +1, because he is here to help.

Owned both and it’s a tossup for me. They’re so dissimilar I have a hard time picking one over the other. But having Lloyd as a resource with DI cannot be understated. I was an early-ish DI buyer and his guidance and availability was a huge plus.

1 month later
#86 2 years ago

What did you go with OP?

#87 2 years ago

DI all day. way funner and more accessible of a game to the hobbyist and NON tournament player/collector! if you're a competitor, then JP wins, but not by alot. for fun, i go with DI

1 week later
#88 2 years ago

My favorite comment thru all of these is DI is a one trick pony?Really man DI has a ton of stuff to do.Example of a one trick pony would be Bride of Pinbot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-le-or-jurassic-park-premium/page/2?hl=greenandwhite and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.