Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dialed In really be renamed?”

• Yes, keep the name, it was fine. 117 votes
    34%
  • Yes, I didn't get it at first but I like it and think it's fine now. 46 votes
    13%
  • No, it's stupid, but I'm not buying the game anyway so my opinion doesn't matter. 82 votes
    24%
  • No, I think it should change regardless of whether or not I could come up with anything better. 97 votes
    28%

(342 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drunk-dial (resized).jpg
senior_falls (resized).jpg
grand-theft-auto-5-beach-bikini-babe-wallpaper (resized).jpg
dv1uesz1ovgqtebuzscx (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.01.00 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
191285 (resized).jpg
whiny (resized).jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They really messed up not calling it "Quantum Sleep"

How about "Quantum Failure : Lawlor's Lament"

#52 7 years ago

The name is not important to me.

I don't think I can relate to someone who would not buy it due to the name and then does buy it with a new name and exact same art etc.

"Dialed in Sucks.... Hey, I'm totally buying Mr. Disaster Guy"

I can relate to people who won't pay $9,000.00

"$9000.00? Holy crap no way! ... $8,000.00? Still no way!"

#53 7 years ago

Dialed City.

#54 7 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

The name is not important to me.
I don't think I can relate to someone who would not buy it due to the name and then does buy it with a new name and exact same art etc.
"Dialed in Sucks.... Hey, I'm totally buying Mr. Disaster Guy"

I'm just going to leave this right here...

http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/15-epic-movie-titles-that-were-changed-last-minute/

#55 7 years ago

Why do I keep comparing this to Stanley Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" ?

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from Circus_Animal:

I can see why operators would have a problem with it, if it doesn't entice people to play on location. The majority of their customers are not pinball enthusiasts and they rely on things like name and theme to get people to put credits in.

There's no guarantee that they will hold their value. Look at how prices have skyrocketed in the last few years for both new and used games. There's no reason they can't move in the other direction just as quickly. Then there's the market value of specific titles; take Ghostbusters. The game is known to have extensive QC problems which will likely make potential buyers wary (even if the machine in question has no apparent issues), forcing down the price on the secondary market. What if Heighway really takes off and full-featured games become readily available for ~$4000? Will people really still pay $9k for Dialed In or Batman? Finally there's the opportunity cost; a $5k game sold in 5 years for $5k frees up $4k to be invested in something that will almost certainly produce a profit without speculating on the price of a single pinball machine.

If it doesn't entice people to play on location?

The game hasn't seen the light of day on location!

We have no idea how it will do.... in fact, I can tell you as a fact that kids are absolutely obsessed with cell phones... obsessed in every sense of the word. One glance at the art work of of the guy holding his phone high in the air, a visual of the phone inside the machine, or seeing selfies taken of other people playing and they'll be hooked and wanting to play.

The name is only going to reinforce that.

Dialed In! might not satisfy a chunk of pinsiders, but Pinsiders aren't remotely closed to representing the general population.

#57 7 years ago

Do you guys realize what effect you have on the design team of pinball companies, no wonder pat didn't attend the autograph session at expo after reading all the pinside posts.

Put 3 years of your life into a game and see this crap about his game.

I think the name is great, people call and already say, I want to buy dialled in

#58 7 years ago

Maybe mimic the best.

Quantum Madness!

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

Do you guys realize what effect you have on the design team of pinball companies, no wonder pat didn't attend the autograph session at expo after reading all the pinside posts.
Put 3 years of your life into a game and see this crap about his game.
I think the name is great, people call and already say, I want to buy dialled in

I don't think anyone here is saying the game is crap....in fact, I played it at Expo and liked it. I didn't love it, but I did like it. The thread here is just about the packaging....which is not necessarily all Pat. Part of being a designer of anything is basking in the glory when you hit a home run, and taking the criticism when you don't. You can't have it both ways, and if pat didn't attend the autograph session because folks were critical of the release...well then he is a bad sport in my books. If he isn't willing to take the bad, then he shouldn't be taking any of the good. I think most that played the game are happy with it....the packaging just needs some work. Trust me, feedback is a good thing. If they just threw it out there and didn't care what anyone thought, then they would be ......well.....Stern. lol

#60 7 years ago

Could be a fine game, I dunno...the name is terrible.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

If it doesn't entice people to play on location?
The game hasn't seen the light of day on location!
We have no idea how it will do.... in fact, I can tell you as a fact that kids are absolutely obsessed with cell phones... obsessed in every sense of the word. One glance at the art work of of the guy holding his phone high in the air, a visual of the phone inside the machine, or seeing selfies taken of other people playing and they'll be hooked and wanting to play.
Dialed In! might not satisfy a chunk of pinsiders, but Pinsiders aren't remotely closed to representing the general population.

Your last line always has to be kept in mind ! But 8k is a lot for operators to give it a try on their own. Big home sales will be needed.

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

The name does not reinforce that. Kids don't say or think or even use the word "dialed". They "call" someone. Hell they really don't even do that...... they "Snapchat" someone.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from jungle:

Your last line always has to be kept in mind ! But 8k is a lot for operators to give it a try on their own. Big home sales will be needed.

We won't know until the sales are in... and as far as I can tell, Pinside isn't a representation of the collecting community as a whole.

The game is loaded... it's early code... and while I think the price is prohibitive, I'd bet the game is going to end up being a smash hit

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

We won't know until the sales are in... and as far as I can tell, Pinside isn't a representation of the collecting community as a whole.
The game is loaded... it's early code... and while I think the price is prohibitive, I'd bet the game is going to end up being a smash hit

Don't know if it will be a "Smash Hit", but I do think it will sell well. Jack and his crew will make this right. they have too much invested to let it fail.

#65 7 years ago

no wonder pat didn't attend the autograph session at expo after reading all the pinside posts.

#66 7 years ago

no wonder pat didn't attend the autograph session at expo after reading all the pinside posts.

whiny (resized).jpgwhiny (resized).jpg

#67 7 years ago

Just name it:

Don't Text & Drive?

Cellular Chaos?

Dropped Call?

Ring Tone Trials?

The Number You Have Reached?

Disconnected?

Unlimited Data?

Flipper Phone?

911 The Revenge?

Cell Towering Inferno?

Bad Connection?

Note 7 Incineration?

Big Bang 4 Bars?

Voice Mail Mayhem?

Who's Number Is That?

Your Mom Called?

#68 7 years ago

I wonder if there are any other businesses besides pinball where the customers believe every aspect of what goes on is their business.

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I wonder if there are any other businesses besides pinball where the customers believe every aspect of what goes on is their business.

Any business with an internet forum.

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

All of them I think.

#71 7 years ago

QQ.

Quantum Quest.

#72 7 years ago

Star Beast was my favorite. Maybe Heighway can change it?

I get your point and all that. I feel differently about a movie than an expensive home purchase. I would probably still buy my Ford F-150 if it was called the pink thing, for example. When I walk up to the game and see all the cool features and art, the name doesn't mean much to me. The theme is the same either way.

#73 7 years ago

Keep the designer's vision for the game... just keep and respect the name he created.

#74 7 years ago

I'm partial to the original name "Dialed In" ... it makes more sense than any other suggestion I've seen.

About half those name changes weren't actual improvements. Remember this one? "Return of the Jedi" was originally named "Revenge of the Jedi".

#75 7 years ago

E.T. phone home.....
If not a good name, maybe a quest.

#76 7 years ago

Quantum City sounds pretty slick...

#77 7 years ago

After watching 3 hours of gameplay it's seems more about the city than the phone. The phone is an element for sure. Quantum City is fine. But now we have been talking about it so much it won't matter to us. We know what it is now. It's going to sell to the pinheads regardless. Any name change should be done with the intention to attract the non Pinsider / casual player.

#78 7 years ago

Keep the name. Sounded weird at first but like LTG said it grows on you. So now after everything I think it would be silly to change the name now. I've come to really like the name. I think it fits and yes, I WANT to buy one!

#79 7 years ago

How about:

1) CITIZEN CATASTROPHE; or
2) HAVOC WARD?

With either name, modifications to the art package could retain the overall storyline while eliminating/minimizing/replacing the identity of the central character and his cellphone. Gameplay and build quality look fantastic!

#80 7 years ago

In another thread I tried out "Lifeline" as a new title. Has drama and intensity, and has the word "line" in it for a more subtle tie in to the phone. Also, someone pointed out it has the same number of characters as the original title.

#81 7 years ago

We also don't say taped,tune in, or filmed anymore.

191285 (resized).jpg191285 (resized).jpg

#82 7 years ago

That "woosh" sound you hear is the fact going over everyone's head that "Dialed In" is also the term for a pinball that is set up ideally and working 100%.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

That "woosh" sound you hear is the fact going over everyone's head that "Dialed In" is also the term for a pinball that is set up ideally and working 100%.

If you have to explain it...

#84 7 years ago

Poll makes no sense as answers are invalid responses to question:

Should Dialed In really be renamed?

1. Yes, keep the name, it was fine.

So the results cannot be trusted as many responses will be the opposite of what voters actually wanted to vote.
Just saying...

#85 7 years ago

I think Quantum City is a far better name. Oh and remove "guy holding cell phone" art from playfield, cabinet and all advertising. Looks absolutely dumb to me, grossly misrepresents what the core of the game is about and is one of the most uncoolest things I've ever seen. I would not buy this game just because I don't want side art of a guy's arm holding a phone in my basement (I have a WOZ). Please consider making these changes JJP - we are all rooting for you and want to add Quantum City to our collections. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.01.00 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.01.00 AM (resized).png

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If you have to explain it...

How can pinheads not know that? I see it used here all the time.

#87 7 years ago

How can pinheads not know that? I see it used here all the time.

Yes, just read the original Avengers threads for several examples.

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

So the results cannot be trusted as many responses will be the opposite of what voters actually wanted to vote.
Just saying...

I assume folks went with the statement made in each choice as to that statement's meaning, ignoring the incongruity of the yes or no with the poll question.

Then again, not all possible reasons for either choice are listed. How about "it shouldn't be changed, it may be odd but that phone motif isn't going anywhere..."

It is being changed, but "Dialed In" is still going to be part of the name, someone said Jack said. My guess is "Dialed In: Quantum City Chaos" which I think has a nice ring.

#89 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Please consider making these changes JJP - we are all rooting for you and want to add Quantum City to our collections

Yeah this. I never want to lose sight of the fact that more than anything I want JJP to succeed and thrive and get another 10+ games out to market.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

although quantum city chaos has been best one so far

I liked mine better.....Quantum City Apocalypse

#91 7 years ago

"Quantum City" is the setting,which tells us nothing about the game. "Dialed In" offers some form of theme with many meanings. "Dialed In: Quantum City Chaos" is a long and confusing title. "Quantum City Chaos" has a nice ring to it, like Medieval Madness.

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

"Quantum City" is the setting,which tells us nothing about the game. "Dialed In" offers some form of theme with many meanings. "Dialed In: Quantum City Chaos" is a long and confusing title. "Quantum City Chaos" has a nice ring to it, like Medieval Madness.

I hope they make dialed In the slogan if they change the name and insist on keeping dialed in.

Quantum City Chaos
-get dialed in

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

That's as may be, but Jack said Dialed In will still be part of the title.

Longer titled games:
AC/DC Let There Be Rock Limited Edition
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
Al's Garage Band Goes On a World Tour
Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dr. Dude And His Excellent Ray
Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street
Wizard of Oz Emerald City Limited Edition

...not to mention a whole bunch with five words!

#94 7 years ago

That's as may be, but Jack said Dialed In will still be part of the title.
Longer titled games:
AC/DC Let There Be Rock Limited Edition
Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
Al's Garage Band Goes On a World Tour
Capt. Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dr. Dude And His Excellent Ray
Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street
Wizard of Oz Emerald City Limited Edition
...not to mention a whole bunch with five words!

So what you are saying is that "Dialed In" will be part of a stupidly long name like all the above, and we will wind up calling it the shorter version ("Dialed In") anyway, like those names above. Solves nothing but will probably make people happy anyway. Yay pinball.

#95 7 years ago

How bout A Nightmare on Dialed In Street?

dv1uesz1ovgqtebuzscx (resized).jpgdv1uesz1ovgqtebuzscx (resized).jpg

#96 7 years ago

Quantum City's Roadshow!

#97 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

I Oh and remove "guy holding cell phone" art from playfield, cabinet and all advertising.... I don't want side art of a guy's arm holding a phone in my basement

GTA had the right idea

grand-theft-auto-5-beach-bikini-babe-wallpaper (resized).jpggrand-theft-auto-5-beach-bikini-babe-wallpaper (resized).jpg

#98 7 years ago

Lifeline ,has my vote. 8 letters , same idea. Life is on the line.

#99 7 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

Lifeline ,has my vote. 8 letters , same idea. Life is on the line.

I think we are getting real close now.

senior_falls (resized).jpgsenior_falls (resized).jpg

#100 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Just saying...

That's the whole point. As the poll makes no sense, changing the name made no sense to me either. Just created the thread for the fun of it really, because people like bickering over silly nonsense. The cat is out of the bag now. Get your pitchforks ready. Lol.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-keep-the-name-or-change-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.