Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should Dialed In really be renamed?”

• Yes, keep the name, it was fine. 117 votes
    34%
  • Yes, I didn't get it at first but I like it and think it's fine now. 46 votes
    13%
  • No, it's stupid, but I'm not buying the game anyway so my opinion doesn't matter. 82 votes
    24%
  • No, I think it should change regardless of whether or not I could come up with anything better. 97 votes
    28%

(342 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

drunk-dial (resized).jpg
senior_falls (resized).jpg
grand-theft-auto-5-beach-bikini-babe-wallpaper (resized).jpg
dv1uesz1ovgqtebuzscx (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.01.00 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
191285 (resized).jpg
whiny (resized).jpg
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

I thought the name was fine, I'd like to see it stay. People complained. During the Twitch / Buffalo Pinball stream Jack basically said something along the lines of "they listened to people and have some sort of change to the name in the works" (not a direct quote).

I figured a topic would be interesting and easier than trying to comb through posts to try and determine the ratio.

#2 7 years ago

I think they just should have called it Quantum City..

#3 7 years ago

Jack said yesterday they were changing it.

</thread>

#4 7 years ago

Keep it and add another version with different name as an option

#5 7 years ago

Make the Super CE have an option to pick the game's name from a list of 20 or so preset choices.

So EXCLUSIVE!

#6 7 years ago

Dialed in: keep the name .

#7 7 years ago

Dialed In fits, and it's fine. Move on to better things....like that price!

#8 7 years ago

Calling it a different name does not make it a different game. Price is obviously the larger concern to most.

#9 7 years ago

Thinking strictly about first impressions, I think a name tweak is probably a good thing. Incorporate Dialed In into the name but not have it be the name. Something like Quantum City: Dialed In!, treat it like the first game in a series for a world or story universe. As much as the current name makes sense after watching gameplay and reading about it, everyone's first impression here seemed to be 'it's a cel phone game' even though that is nowhere near reality. Give it a more vague or fantasy name so you don't go into it with assumptions.

Everything i'm hearing about this game says it's a good one!

#10 7 years ago

Call it Thread Champ

#11 7 years ago

Change the name & the price

#12 7 years ago

First thought was like what...Dialed In? Then I heard and I did like the suggestion Quantum City Chaos. Now I am rethinking it and find that Dialed In has grown on me. I like it now that I know a bit about the game and think it is fitting. So I guess if they change it I hope it is Quantum City Chaos or they just leave it as Dialed In.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Change the name & the price

I'm all for a different price as long as they lower it!

#14 7 years ago

Please think carefully about the wording of your questions and answers when you make a poll. It should read:

Should Dialed In Really Be Renamed?

No, keep the name, it is fine.

etc.

#15 7 years ago

The game should be renamed Calamityville. Or virtually any other NOUN. Turn the phone into just a generic communication screen. No ringing. It boggles my mind that Jersey Jack fumbles again on their first non licensed theme. Pricing issues aside, nobody with the money to buy this machine wants it to be associated with a device that is used for work or other responsibilities.

It's not too late Jack. Make yourself a few million dollars by changing the freaking name.

#16 7 years ago

Keep the name.

The name and game, grows on you.

LTG : )

#17 7 years ago

call it BEN DOVER!

#18 7 years ago

Yeah, keep it. It's part of the game now. They have all the merchandising done (jackets, t-shirts, etc.) and as others have said the name grows on you. Look at the poll, it's about 50/50 - any name change will be met with the same number of complaints from those who like it.

#19 7 years ago

Ben Dover - love it. I visualize someone bending over, grabbing their ankles while some nuke goes off taking out the city. Of course, that is a rather different theme....

I will likely buy this game if they make a few changes. The name, artwork and irritating phone rings, and of course, price, give me pause.
I think the lack of a licensed popular movie or comic will limit the appeal of the game to operators. Collectors, at the proposed price, will really need to be happy with the gameplay, graphics, call outs and music. It's not quite there for me. Don't know about other collectors.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

Something like Quantum City: Dialed In!, treat it like the first game in a series for a world or story universe.

I really like this idea, especially if they keep pat lawlor on the payroll. Second one could be something like, Quantum City: Alien Invasion

Lots of possibilities going this route.

#21 7 years ago

Call it Batman 66 SLE and undercut Stern.

#22 7 years ago

And the jackets are not part of a regular merchandising campaign, unlike the shirts, which were (and are) for sale to those wishing to buy them.

#23 7 years ago

worst name ever

#24 7 years ago

keep the name...change the price.
LE for 7k

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

call it BEN DOVER

And what ever happened to his friend Phil MiCrack

#26 7 years ago

No issues with the name as the theme revolves around Dialed In Enterprises "DIE" which I learned from the Twitch broadcast. On first presentation I didn't like it though. After learning more about the game the name fits it. Of course a name alone like Dialed In doesn't draw me to play it. Game looks like fun. Typical Lawlor type of game. With only "20%" of the code done it has a lot of promise. First iterations of WOZ code were very repetitious. Look at it now.
My issue is the graphics. The guy with the cell phone just does nothing for me. Yes I understand the game has something to do with a powerful cell phone that the company wants back.

I guess it depends on how many play fields have already been printed and how many sets of graphics have been done already to consider that sort of change. With the Hobbit the changes to the graphics were all done before production as far as we know.
Certainly a game I would like to play when available. Just not sure it would end up in my collection (I like to keep my games for a long time)

When I first saw the game I thought what a great game for a re-theme even before it has been sold

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dialed In fits, and it's fine. Move on to better things....like that price!

The name change will probably justify another price hike, lol.

#28 7 years ago

Keep the name, especially since there haven't been any appreciable better alternatives ( although quantum city chaos has been best one so far, believe that was DCfans idea).

#29 7 years ago

Jack said they were changing it, but also that they were keeping the Dialed In portion (assuming because it's so deeply tied in to the playfield and art). I have a hunch it's just going to get a subtitle added, like Dialed In: Quantum City or something.

Personally I think the name is fine and that adding a subtitle would further distract from the plot. We'll see what they do though. I'm in favor of keeping the name, as is.

#30 7 years ago

The irony is that if they change the name, the small run of machines already produced as 'Dialed In' will end up being the most valuable due to their rarity.

#31 7 years ago

How about: "Dialed Into Disaster: Quantum City"

#32 7 years ago

I would name it "Charged Up". You're charging up this mega-powerful phone so it fits the concept better than "Dialed In". Plus the name fits the image of the guy holding up the phone with energy all around it, phone getting stuck by lightning, etc.

#33 7 years ago

I'd rather they get rid of the dude with the jeans.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'd rather they get rid of the dude with the jeans.

Or at least untuck his shirt....

#35 7 years ago

For me the title is nothing. The artwork is what I think is hideous. The guy standing with the cell phone is kind of corny.

If you are naming based on new pricing...then Stern and JJP can group them into the BOHICA model selections.......

BOHICA = Bend Over Here It Comes Again.............lol

#36 7 years ago

How about calling it JACKED UP....or F.CKED UP on the Price!

#37 7 years ago

I voted to keep DI but I do like Quantum City better. I'm fine if they decide to keep DI as well. The theme is sometimes a showstopper for me such as WWE but not in this case.

The only thing stopping me is price and availability. I'm ready to buy myself a Christmas pinball but I'm going with what's available under $6000. If DI standard edition met those conditions I'd be all in.

#38 7 years ago

I don't understand all of the vitriol about the name.

It's a name.

You don't play the name.

#39 7 years ago

LE should have been $7500, so instead of selling 1k at 9000 he'd have to sell 2500. Even 8,000 I'd be fine with. If he did that I know 4 guys, including myself would have bought it. Now there are 5 guys that aren't buying at the 9k price.

#40 7 years ago

They really messed up not calling it "Quantum Sleep"

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

LE should have been $7500, so instead of selling 1k at 9000 he'd have to sell 2500. Even 8,000 I'd be fine with. If he did that I know 4 guys, including myself would have bought it. Now there are 5 guys that aren't buying at the 9k price.

Honestly, I've never understood this mentality. You know, I know, we ALL KNOW that these machines with continually hold their value provided its kept in excellent condition. Whats the difference if you pay $9,000, or $90,000? If someone is willing to hand you $8500 after a years worth of ownership, You only wound up paying $500 for the machine. Figure, you're spending a dollar a play regardless, or sometimes more depending on your usage. I know when I sold my machine, it basically PAID ME to play it for almost a year. I had my wifes family, friends, etc yelling at me as to how I could spend 7K on a pinball machine without batting an eye. I tried my best to explain to them that the money ISNT SPENT UNTIL ITS RESOLD!

There's a mark difference between SPENDING and LOSING $9k, to spending $9k, and getting almost every dime back, or MORE depending on rarity/desirability. Instead of worrying about the out of pocket costs, I'd be factoring in potential value loss. That's what I do when purchasing a machine.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from PinLen83:

Whats the difference if you pay $9,000, or $90,000?

Not much. Some won't pay either of these prices.

#43 7 years ago

The same thing happened after Apple announced the iPad. The name was almost universally panned, but they stuck with it and now it isn't really noticed.

The same thing also happened with 'The Phantom Menace.' The name was despised, and now... okay, still despised.

#44 7 years ago

i also was hoping for a nice games after expo for xmas.

batman, absolutely no interest in that game, even at 5k.
the new JJP, not my style and price is too high for a standard when you can get a regular premium (stern standard at 6.5k).
what a missed opportunity for JJP to kick stern's ass but no.... gotta compete and see who can get the mo$t, instead of selling a lot at low price and flood the market, bad bad bad decision.
houdini, man i was hoping for this game to show up at expo and see some videos but jpoop is behind so we all know AP won't have it soon.
alien, still on the fence, looks great, gotta see it in person.

#45 7 years ago

I don't like the name and I hate the price....so I'm out. Sounds like it's a great playing game and I'd love to try one but it won't ever be on my "want list" even second hand. Themes are very important to me and this one is a miss. I know I'm way out in left field on this but I'm not a big Lawlor fan in general.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

i also was hoping for a nice games after expo for xmas.
batman, absolutely no interest in that game, even at 5k.
the new JJP, not my style and price is too high for a standard when you can get a regular premium (stern standard at 6.5k).
what a missed opportunity for JJP to kick stern's ass but no.... gotta compete and see who can get the mo$t, instead of selling a lot at low price and flood the market, bad bad bad decision.
houdini, man i was hoping for this game to show up at expo and see some videos but jpoop is behind so we all know AP won't have it soon.
alien, still on the fence, looks great, gotta see it in person.

You know, I was all set to believe that the price of production had just gone up, and this is the new norm, etc. And I was convincing myself that folks like Stern and JJP were not just out grabbing for cash, and really did need to increase prices to make a quality product. But then I heard how many LE's they were going to make, along with how much they were going to charge for the "limited Edition", and I knew I was just a sucker at that point.......I love the quality and build of their stuff, but come on....that had "money grab" all over it, even worse than the Batman Super LE.....That is until Stern decided to up the ante and add 50 more of the SLE games. Then it just got really stupid....I knew they were just sucking laughing gas, all the way to the bank. And the sooooooo sad part of all of this is we are the ones letting them do it to us..

#47 7 years ago

There is no arguing at this point; I've tried and failed. IMHO JJP is at the point where they cannot produce a game with a $6000 price point. They just can't, it costs too much to run the line and build the things. Waah waah waah but the original price for WOZ and the preorder price for Hobbit was this or that and let me remind you that the balloon went up TWICE as they tried to sell games for that amount. It didn't work, friends. It didn't work and along came the new investment group and Hobbits are running and there's an auxiliary line for WOZ and Dialed In finally got its reveal and while there ARE issues and mistakes WERE made - you'll get no argument from me on that, nor would you get one from anyone who has been paying attention - the company is poised to go forward in better shape than it was after Hobbit was announced and pretty much better shape than it has been at any point. Games 4 and 5 are in the works and Dialed In, which despite the attempts at humor I've been reading on here really is being sold with a different mindset than games 1 and 2 were. Please understand that I don't speak for Jack or anyone else there. Jack's offhand remark at the reveal about 1-6999 numbers for DI LE "and I'll bet I sell them all" was met with derision on Pinside as most everything else seems to be these days. Fine, he restated during the stream that the LE's will be limited to 2500 games. I say nothing about the CE except that I certainly can't afford one. I'm putting my 250$ down for an LE and hoping that the game is a huge hit. It has the potential to be, certainly, but there are definite hurdles to be conquered. The game was in development for several years and now that it has seen the light of day it will have tough competition for sure. I love the fact that it's a narrow body cabinet and that it's an original theme. I have no information on game 4, but what if it's a licensed theme and wide like WOZ and Hobbit? The already unique Dialed In would then be that much more unique.
Pricing wise I say nothing about Stern. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for listening.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I don't understand all of the vitriol about the name.
It's a name.
You don't play the name.

I can see why operators would have a problem with it, if it doesn't entice people to play on location. The majority of their customers are not pinball enthusiasts and they rely on things like name and theme to get people to put credits in.

Quoted from PinLen83:

Honestly, I've never understood this mentality. You know, I know, we ALL KNOW that these machines with continually hold their value provided its kept in excellent condition. Whats the difference if you pay $9,000, or $90,000?

There's no guarantee that they will hold their value. Look at how prices have skyrocketed in the last few years for both new and used games. There's no reason they can't move in the other direction just as quickly. Then there's the market value of specific titles; take Ghostbusters. The game is known to have extensive QC problems which will likely make potential buyers wary (even if the machine in question has no apparent issues), forcing down the price on the secondary market. What if Heighway really takes off and full-featured games become readily available for ~$4000? Will people really still pay $9k for Dialed In or Batman? Finally there's the opportunity cost; a $5k game sold in 5 years for $5k frees up $4k to be invested in something that will almost certainly produce a profit without speculating on the price of a single pinball machine.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

There is no arguing at this point; I've tried and failed. IMHO JJP is at the point where they cannot produce a game with a $6000 price point. They just can't, it costs too much to run the line and build the things. Waah waah waah but the original price for WOZ and the preorder price for Hobbit was this or that and let me remind you that the balloon went up TWICE as they tried to sell games for that amount. It didn't work, friends. It didn't work and along came the new investment group and Hobbits are running and there's an auxiliary line for WOZ and Dialed In finally got its reveal and while there ARE issues and mistakes WERE made - you'll get no argument from me on that, nor would you get one from anyone who has been paying attention - the company is poised to go forward in better shape than it was after Hobbit was announced and pretty much better shape than it has been at any point. Games 4 and 5 are in the works and Dialed In, which despite the attempts at humor I've been reading on here really is being sold with a different mindset than games 1 and 2 were. Please understand that I don't speak for Jack or anyone else there. Jack's offhand remark at the reveal about 1-6999 numbers for DI LE "and I'll bet I sell them all" was met with derision on Pinside as most everything else seems to be these days. Fine, he restated during the stream that the LE's will be limited to 2500 games. I say nothing about the CE except that I certainly can't afford one. I'm putting my 250$ down for an LE and hoping that the game is a huge hit. It has the potential to be, certainly, but there are definite hurdles to be conquered. The game was in development for several years and now that it has seen the light of day it will have tough competition for sure. I love the fact that it's a narrow body cabinet and that it's an original theme. I have no information on game 4, but what if it's a licensed theme and wide like WOZ and Hobbit? The already unique Dialed In would then be that much more unique.
Pricing wise I say nothing about Stern. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for listening.

I agree with the 1st part of what you said, and that was why I made the comment about how I was prepared to accept that fact. And yes, Jack has now said the LE's would be limited to 2500, but 2 things here.....First, he only did that after suffering the backlash at saying there would be 7,000 of them. And Second...what kind of limited edition is it if there are still 2500 of them? I really hope this thing is a hit, or the regular model might be the real limited version. You are right that folks jumped all over him for his initial statements, because well, it was deserved at that point. There was no sugar-coating, or trying to hide their intentions in the details......they were looking at what Stern did on the last couple of models and decided to hitch their car to the greedytown train.

I am all for them making money...after all, that is what they are in business to do. I think Jack makes the best built games on the market, and the support I have experienced has been nothing less than stellar. Just look at the quality of the code updates they have put out, against to what Stern has released, and there is no comparison. This is why the obvious cash grab hit me so hard. I like the company, I root for the little guy. I want to see them take on Stern and win. I guess I figured the only way prices would come down to reasonable levels would be if Stern were to get some real competition. At this point, it looks more like they joined forces and sold us out. I have never wanted to be wrong so badly......hopefully I am.

#50 7 years ago

I wouldn't have been a buyer either way, so my opinion doesn't really matter. What I'll say is that I hope it's a huge success and we have more non-licenced games in the near future.

PS: For me, it's better than Aerosmith.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 22.50
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-keep-the-name-or-change-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.