New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 172024)

Dialed In is TOTALLY Awesome

By Whysnow

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by hool10
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20161210_110651883 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161210_133139504 (resized).jpg
IMG_20161210_152837924 (resized).jpg
15327348_1341370929270004_5522307235317853546_n (resized).jpg
dialiedin1 (resized).jpg
jack-nicholson (resized).jpg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

First let me begin by saying I am a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He is like a god to me of pinball designers. He has made all my favorite games. (TZ,TAF,SC, etc.) I have to say I had very realistic expectations for the reveal of his latest endeavor. I was at the Expo reveal and everyone was psyched to see it. The Expo reveal room was electric. People chomping at the bit to see it unveiled. After all the expected prelude to the reveal, he finally reveals it and all you hear is complete silence due to the utter amazement of the entire crowd; literally speechless in awe. He says the new game is "Dialed In" and pulls the sheet off the game. People in the audience look at each other like WOW That is Fing AMAZING. Are you kidding. Is this some kind of amazing pinball world were a designer has poured his heart, soul, and genious into a truley unique unlicensed theme and done even more than we could have ever imagined! After five minutes, people are jumping out of their chairs in anticipation of playing it.

I am in shock. Look at my friends and they just start laughing and are giddy with excitement. I say this can't be real, I must be dreaming. Let me try it, NOW! I play it the night of reveal, and again on Saturday multiple times. It is a cross between all of the disaster themes but wrapped up in a more modern day semirealistic play on the doomsday world we live in where many people let their phones control their lives rather than playing pinball with friends and saving the world through real social interaction. It has this futuristic world with great model toys and interactive aspects akin to the wonderous features of a game like TZ or Roadshow' they really work together visually or mechanically to be a thing of beauty and excitment. Scale is perfect as well. Drones are tiny compared to electric guy, and scale between two figures on playfield are just right, the guy is life sized and the girl is a giant that can wreck havoc on your game; almost like a moster of giant proportion I can just imagine using the drones to try and attack her as I take the trains across the city to gather supplies and then set traps! Play is better than any other as compared to other Lawlor titles. I was super impressed with the infrastructure / cabinet build as well as the game. I tried it several times and the game just gets better. Probably best of all Lawlor titles and this is just 20% coded, WOW.

Pat, I'm so happy you did not play it safe and try and pick socially trending topics like nostalgia laced liscenses from the mid 80s that are no longer of interest and lack all imagination and creativity. What a cool way to use smart phones, droids and resource based city apps to create a disaster scenario that really brings in the player and imerses them in the fun of pinball. Thank goodness you did not just use google to do some dumb socially trending topics like Kim Kardashian, Pokémon Go, and Trump / Clinton campaign. Those three topics string together like a train wreck without imagination and do not translate well to pinball! So many awesome toys that 'wow' us and make us wonder how they work; giant handywomen to divert balls and cause havoc; cool theater with a much improved pin2k technology, great flowing ramps and orbits with mutiple divertors, super fun flipper/game interaction to make the player really feel the game fighting back, ingenious real physical lock mechanism, and some of the best magnet responses I have ever seen! Watching others play I quickly saw the desire for me to put my money in the game to see how your mechanical toy works and how it interacts with the ball. I really feel you took chances, making a sure A+ instead of just playing it safe to cater to those without any imagination that require spoon fed nostalgia without thought. The genius mind of Pat Lawlor is asked to make a pinball game with no restrictions according to him and Jersey Jack, and we get "dialed in"! OH YEAH!!! Coupled with the fact you have John Yousi and the dream team working with you and this is a grand idea for a game with great art, physical mechs, design, and coding foundation. Amazing Pat, really amazing! NO flames to extinguish here this is what the majority of those that played it are thinking and proud to say since you are Pat Lawlor and you knocked this one out of the park! I am going to hold dear the existing games you made while at Williams / Bally and Stern and assume you were under some sort of mental genious spell and emotionally creative ingenuity when you designed this beautiful and immerisve game. Signed your biggest fan.

Happily amazed in Chicago
Whysnow

#2 4 years ago

I agree that Dialed In is awesome, but isn't there already a Dialed In is awesome thread?

#3 4 years ago

Love it Whysnow great spin! Gave me a good smile of entertainment!

#4 4 years ago

Paragraphs are your friends. So is brevity.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Paragraphs are your friends. So is brevity.

for those that need a little help on the context

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-not-awesome-pat-lawlor-failed-us

#7 4 years ago

Totally agree Whysnow, After watching 3 hours of footage from the Buffalo pinball stream I can't wait to play it. Rumor has it Freeplay Florida is going to have 2 of them to play and I'm sure they are going to get a lot of love all weekend.

#8 4 years ago

#9 4 years ago

I could have sworn I've seen you talking poop about this pin in other threads. Then my brain finally figured things out.

#10 4 years ago

Coming soon to a SS Billiards near me!!!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I could have sworn I've seen you talking poop about this pin in other threads. Then my brain finally figured things out.

never once have I said anything bad about this pin.

I really genuinely like DI!

This thread should be on fire instead of the other one!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

never once have I said anything bad about this pin.
I really genuinely like DI!
This thread should be on fire instead of the other one!

You've got too much time on your hands.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

This thread should be on fire

fanning the flame...I think it looks awesome and I think sales numbers will prove this...But here's some market data for you JJP...I showed the 3 expo pins to some kids and the unanimous "Get that one" went to DI! Kids happy=Me Happy!

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You've got too much time on your hands.

Eh, don't we all?

#15 4 years ago

Hmmmmm. That's not quite how I remember the Dialed-In reveal from Expo. You forgot to mention the tears of joy that were shed by all who were there to witness the miracle. The funny thing is, I've been noticing some changes since I played Dialed-In. My arthritis has completely disappeared, I've lost 10LB, and my cholesterol is below 200 for the first time in my life. My farts smell like cotton candy and, strangely, women find me irresistible. Maybe it's the whole cotton candy scented fart thing. I dunno. What I do know is that I'm dialied in to Dialed-In (a.k.a. The second coming of pinball Jesus).

Drinking the Kool-Aid
SuS

#16 4 years ago

Stupid game. Stupid thread.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

Stupid game. Stupid thread.

your stern army certificate is on the way

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

your stern army certificate is on the way

Swing and a miss

#19 4 years ago

Aw thit, lost the Pinside popularity contest!

Tell me, is it up and down or left and right across the wrists?

#20 4 years ago

TL;DR

#21 4 years ago

DI is quite fun. Very refreshing shots and fun theme. Lots of possibilities.. looking forward to seeing more for sure.

#22 4 years ago

I look forward to playing Dialed In. At whoever is able and willing to buy one's place.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

all jjp madness aside. it takes a pretty cold heart to joke about suicide. if you are serious, please get help immediately. if you are joking, i suggest a long and critical evaluation of your personality, and an assessment as to why you think someone taking their own life is comical.

on pinside it becomes very easy to treat every post and response as if its a volley in a game of ping pong. Viewing other players as avatars looking at the world through a filter of up and downvotes. everyone of us could use some work in remembering that there are real people behind these avatars, and our comments could have a much more profound impact than the one seen on the pop bumper.

if you or anyone you know is struggling with or has struggled with suicide in the past i beg of you: reach out to someone, anyone, hell PM me if ya feel the need. the world is a better place with you in it.

#24 4 years ago

Awesome in your opinion or not, unless the operators of the world embrace it and buy it in large numbers JJP could be in real trouble IMO. Only so many people can and are willing to drop 9k (plus tax and shipping?) on a single game. Hopefully they sell enough. Why do we always have to rely on a small number of people pumping the latest game release in order to get people to buy it?

#25 4 years ago

all jjp madness aside. it takes a pretty cold heart to joke about suicide.

I'm not sure if you're trolling me, but I was just joking. I've lost two loved ones, three jobs and Prince this year, and I'm still resilient. I don't think losing a popularity contest on Pinside is worth departing this mortal coil, yunno?

#26 4 years ago

all jjp madness aside. it takes a pretty cold heart to joke about suicide.

Kaneda?

#27 4 years ago

all jjp madness aside. it takes a pretty cold heart to joke about suicide. if you are serious, please get help immediately. if you are joking, i suggest a long and critical evaluation of your personality, and an assessment as to why you think someone taking their own life is comical.
on pinside it becomes very easy to treat every post and response as if its a volley in a game of ping pong. Viewing other players as avatars looking at the world through a filter of up and downvotes. everyone of us could use some work in remembering that there are real people behind these avatars, and our comments could have a much more profound impact than the one seen on the pop bumper.
if you or anyone you know is struggling with or has struggled with suicide in the past i beg of you: reach out to someone, anyone, hell PM me if ya feel the need. the world is a better place with you in it.

Wow, you make me want to be a better douche bag. thank you for that. #SJW

#28 4 years ago

Hashtag Salty Japanese Whales?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

you make me want to be a better douche bag.

jack-nicholson (resized).jpg

#30 4 years ago

bump for awesome game!

Looking forward to the next time I get to play one!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I'll PayPal you 50 bucks if you let me know the answer to that question.

#32 4 years ago

Yikes, this thread is turning rather cringe-worthy.

Please try to keep things on-topic.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from robin:

We're aiming to be a family friendly pinball site...

Whatever happened to this?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yikes, this thread is turning rather cringe-worthy.
Please try to keep things on-topic.

agreed. Feel free to give people teh boot that done want to stay on topic.

For reminder, the topic is how much you like DI and why it is awesome!!!!!!!!!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

agreed. Feel free to give people teh boot that done want to stay on topic.
For reminder, the topic is how much you like DI and why it is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Man, it usually takes some time to determine if I really love a game and whether it has staying power for me. I don't know how you can approach a new game with incomplete code and be so stoked about it after just a couple of days playing it a few times? Hopefully it becomes a top rated game though. Lawlor has definitely created some games I love but he's also created some that were a little underwhelming.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Coming soon to a SS Billiards near me!!!

When?!? Pre-release or 4+ months yet?

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

Man, it usually takes some time to determine if I really love a game and whether it has staying power for me. I don't know how you can approach a new game with incomplete code and be so stoked about it after just a couple of days playing it a few times? Hopefully it becomes a top rated game though. Lawlor has definitely created some games I love but he's also created some that were a little underwhelming.

I am hyper analytical and know what I like and dont like in most games. Of course it will take time for my opinion to mature, but After seeing the game, playing it numerous times, and watching it get played even more... It is pretty evident to me it is a fantastic game.

I probably spent 5-7 hours actually playing or watching others play the machine. That is way more time than it takes me to make a judgement call on most machines. Most games I rarely would spend so much dedicated time in a single weekend over analyzing and thinking about.

DI seriously rocks. I could go on and on about all the reasons why, but in short.

GREAT layout
GREAT flow and geometry of shots
Fun mechs
FUN to play solo or with others
and most importantly, GREAT immersion.

Immersion is kind of the X factor that few games have but is hard to exactly put a finger on. To me that is what Pat L really brings to pinball. the ability to take all the subtle aspects and put them together to bring yuo into the actual game and feel liek you are part of the fun. It is pure imagination all combined with mechanical, physical, tactile precision and everything coming together just right!

#38 4 years ago

I enjoyed playing the game alot at expo. I have to admit, I really can't wait to play it again. As time goes on I'm seriously thinking about picking it up. It's in my head.

#39 4 years ago

Pricing aside, the game looks great! My one critique, and hopefully someone more intimate with the game can comment, but when the chick diverts the ball off the ramp, Steve Bowden said it's supposed to setup an upper flipper shot. But 4 out of 5 times it went into the pops and down to the playfield, and not to the upper flipper. He had to keep shooting the left ramp praying for an upper flipper setup for the lock. That's my only negative on the game as that would get very irritating. Thoughts?

Other than that it looks like a super fun game. And yes, I love what pat did with the theme!

#40 4 years ago

I am really excited to get mine. i think it will become a great addition to my room. if anyone want to discuss how awesome this is more just let me know.

$250 deposit (standard edition and limited edition) gets your spot secured in line.

also, Veterans qualify for free shipping too. with Veterans Day just around the corner, have you thanked one lately?

Christopher

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

My one critique,

Crickets?

#42 4 years ago

you can set up the upper flipper shot by doing something to engage one of the diverters. then it is a straight shot through the theater I think (not sure what shot, but one of them just have to engage the diverter first)

Thus game has a bunch of diverters and layering of ball paths. Supper tight and amazingly laid out.

I am guessing Steve had not realized there was a way to shift the other shot and was relying on the big lady to knock the ball off.

Keep in mind the big lady was just barely coded at this stage. I am expecting good things form her and if you look at the layout up top you will be able to tell the other shots. Sorry i dont have a good pic.

#43 4 years ago

the big chick puts the ball on a clear mini pf with a hole and dropoffs.. looks deliberately random; I don't see how it could guarantee UR flipper setups. Hilton's correct that the theater shot was more consistent setup.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I'll PayPal you 50 bucks if you let me know the answer to that question.

Was trying to be snarky when I said this with a good buzz going, but in the light of day sounds way more harsh than I meant it to be. Sorry about that Cornelius.

2 weeks later
#45 3 years ago

Went to freeplay florida where they had 2 dialed ins, What are the leds in the apron for? I tried to play a game (looked really cool in person) but got an instant headache after about 10 seconds of the leds in my eyes, I had to set my wallet and phone over them and after that I couldn't barely finish the game, I am not a led hater (I have all my games fitted with leds) but can't stand them blaring in my eyes. I never went back to try another game after that.

#46 3 years ago

interesting. I never even noticed lights in the apron.

#47 3 years ago

The 4 lights at the bottom, except the games that were there didn't have the artwork in, maybe the artwork covers the lights somewhat, couldn't figure out what they are there for.

dialiedin1 (resized).jpg

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

The 4 lights at the bottom, except the games that were there didn't have the artwork in, maybe the artwork covers the lights somewhat, couldn't figure out what they are there for.

From what I understand, the lights indicate where you would place your phone to connect to the game and enable the remote control flippers, ball launch etc. I would hope the final graphics package clarifies what that lighted section does...

-Doug

#49 3 years ago

the one I played last weekend in Malvern had a sticker in between the 2 sets of LEDS that said PLACE PHONE HERE. Something like that

#50 3 years ago

I got a few games in at the Grand Ole Gameroom expo and while I wouldn't say it's awesome, it is good. It's the best shooting game JJP has produced by far. I'm still not a fan of the theme, but it quickly becomes a non-issue when you're actually playing the game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Macomb, MI
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside