• 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jaytech10
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg
munch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
ada23b3730f8b7d52518a9571d2bf2f080e50d72 (resized).jpg
ff81d66e15935f7896f55f25da0740bce0ed3590 (resized).jpg
23f0d9c1a5a69e17de3d5d79db7d74557058e630 (resized).jpg
IMG_3831 (resized).JPG
image-18 (resized).jpg
sub-buzz-7165-1476217730-1 (resized).jpg
fkrCCfd (resized).png
Titanic-slot-machine-las-vegas (resized).jpg
The_Pabst_Can_Crusher (resized).jpg
t mobile (resized).jpg
ui7fi (resized).jpg
blue (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dougram69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

First let me begin by saying I am a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He is like a god to me of pinball designers. He has made all my favorite games. (TZ,TAF,FH, etc.) I have to say I had very high hopes for the reveal of his latest "home grown" endeavor. I was at the Expo reveal and everyone was psyched to see it. The Expo reveal room was electric. People chomping at the bit to see it unveiled. After all the hype, he finally reveals it and all you hear is complete silence. He says the new game is "Dialed In" and pulls the sheet off the game. People in the audience look at each other like WTF. Are you kidding. Is this some kind of cruel pinball joke. After five minutes, people start walking out.

I am in shock. Look at my brother and he just starts laughing. I say this can't be. Let me try it. I play it the night of reveal, and again on Saturday. It is a cross between SimCity, some left over parts and figures from Road Show, and thrown in "trending" topics that really don't work together visually or mechanically. Scale is all messed up as well. Drones tiny compared to electric guy, and scale between two figures on playfield are completely off. Play is weak as compared to other Lawlor titles. I was more impressed with the infrastructure / cabinet build than I was of the game. I tried it several times and the game is weak. Probably worst of all Lawlor titles.

Pat, why did you play it safe and try and pick socially trending topics like smart phones, droids and resource based city apps. You might as well have saved two years of your design time by doing a google trend search and make a game of socially trending topics like Kim Kardashian, Pokémon Go, and Trump / Clinton campaign. Those three topics string together as well as your three. Where are the awesome toys we have come to expect that wow us and make us wonder how they work. Where is the desire for me to put my money in the game to see how your mechanical toy works and how it interacts with the ball. I really feel you tried to play it safe and phoned in a sure D- instead of trying to take a chance and wow us. The genius mind of Pat Lawlor is asked to make a pinball game with no restrictions according to him and Jersey Jack, and we get "dialed in". Come on man. Coupled with the fact you have John Yousi and the dream team working with you and this is your grand idea for a game. Disappointing Pat, real disappointing. I am sure flams will commence, but this is what a lot are thinking but afraid to say it cause you are Pat Lawlor. I am going to hold dear the existing games you made while at Williams / Bally and Stern and assume you were under some mental and emotional stress when you designed this mess. Sorry man, I was one of your biggest fans.

Disappointed in Chicago
dougram69

#229 7 years ago

Was expecting alot more from Pat. He totally missed the Mark in my opinion. He should know it. If you think this is disrespectful or offends you in some manner, change hobbies. He came to a public forum, showed his wares, and asked for feedback.. Why is that disrespectful. You know, life is disrespectful and shouldn't be white washed cause you can't handel it. Pat is a big boy and I am sure he isn't staying up late cause of some real comments.

Dougram69

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dougram69.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-not-awesome-pat-lawlor-failed-us?tu=dougram69 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.