• 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jaytech10
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg
munch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
ada23b3730f8b7d52518a9571d2bf2f080e50d72 (resized).jpg
ff81d66e15935f7896f55f25da0740bce0ed3590 (resized).jpg
23f0d9c1a5a69e17de3d5d79db7d74557058e630 (resized).jpg
IMG_3831 (resized).JPG
image-18 (resized).jpg
sub-buzz-7165-1476217730-1 (resized).jpg
fkrCCfd (resized).png
Titanic-slot-machine-las-vegas (resized).jpg
The_Pabst_Can_Crusher (resized).jpg
t mobile (resized).jpg
ui7fi (resized).jpg
blue (resized).jpg
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 7 years ago

First let me begin by saying I am a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He is like a god to me of pinball designers. He has made all my favorite games. (TZ,TAF,FH, etc.) I have to say I had very high hopes for the reveal of his latest "home grown" endeavor. I was at the Expo reveal and everyone was psyched to see it. The Expo reveal room was electric. People chomping at the bit to see it unveiled. After all the hype, he finally reveals it and all you hear is complete silence. He says the new game is "Dialed In" and pulls the sheet off the game. People in the audience look at each other like WTF. Are you kidding. Is this some kind of cruel pinball joke. After five minutes, people start walking out.

I am in shock. Look at my brother and he just starts laughing. I say this can't be. Let me try it. I play it the night of reveal, and again on Saturday. It is a cross between SimCity, some left over parts and figures from Road Show, and thrown in "trending" topics that really don't work together visually or mechanically. Scale is all messed up as well. Drones tiny compared to electric guy, and scale between two figures on playfield are completely off. Play is weak as compared to other Lawlor titles. I was more impressed with the infrastructure / cabinet build than I was of the game. I tried it several times and the game is weak. Probably worst of all Lawlor titles.

Pat, why did you play it safe and try and pick socially trending topics like smart phones, droids and resource based city apps. You might as well have saved two years of your design time by doing a google trend search and make a game of socially trending topics like Kim Kardashian, Pokémon Go, and Trump / Clinton campaign. Those three topics string together as well as your three. Where are the awesome toys we have come to expect that wow us and make us wonder how they work. Where is the desire for me to put my money in the game to see how your mechanical toy works and how it interacts with the ball. I really feel you tried to play it safe and phoned in a sure D- instead of trying to take a chance and wow us. The genius mind of Pat Lawlor is asked to make a pinball game with no restrictions according to him and Jersey Jack, and we get "dialed in". Come on man. Coupled with the fact you have John Yousi and the dream team working with you and this is your grand idea for a game. Disappointing Pat, real disappointing. I am sure flams will commence, but this is what a lot are thinking but afraid to say it cause you are Pat Lawlor. I am going to hold dear the existing games you made while at Williams / Bally and Stern and assume you were under some mental and emotional stress when you designed this mess. Sorry man, I was one of your biggest fans.

Disappointed in Chicago
dougram69

#2 7 years ago

At least you formed your opinion based on having actually played the game.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

First let me begin by saying I am a huge Pat Lawlor fan. He is like a god to me of pinball designers. He has made all my favorite games. (TZ,TAF,FH, etc.) I have to say I had very high hopes for the reveal of his latest "home grown" endeavor. I was at the Expo reveal and everyone was psyched to see it. The Expo reveal room was electric. People chomping at the bit to see it unveiled. After all the hype, he finally reveals it and all you hear is complete silence. He says the new game is "Dialed In" and pulls the sheet off the game. People in the audience look at each other like WTF. Are you kidding. Is this some kind of cruel pinball joke. After five minutes, people start walking out.
I am in shock. Look at my brother and he just starts laughing. I say this can't be. Let me try it. I play it the night of reveal, and again on Saturday. It is a cross between SimCity, some left over parts and figures from Road Show, and thrown in "trending" topics that really don't work together visually or mechanically. Scale is all messed up as well. Drones tiny compared to electric guy, and scale between two figures on playfield are completely off. Play is weak as compared to other Lawlor titles. I was more impressed with the infrastructure / cabinet build than I was of the game. I tried it several times and the game is weak. Probably worst of all Lawlor titles.
Pat, why did you play it safe and try and pick socially trending topics like smart phones, droids and resource based city apps. You might as well have saved two years of your design time by doing a google trend search and make a game of socially trending topics like Kim Kardashian, Pokémon Go, and Trump / Clinton campaign. Those three topics string together as well as your three. Where are the awesome toys we have come to expect that wow us and make us wonder how they work. Where is the desire for me to put my money in the game to see how your mechanical toy works and how it interacts with the ball. I really feel you tried to play it safe and phoned in a sure D- instead of trying to take a chance and wow us. The genius mind of Pat Lawlor is asked to make a pinball game with no restrictions according to him and Jersey Jack, and we get "dialed in". Come on man. Coupled with the fact you have John Yousi and the dream team working with you and this is your grand idea for a game. Disappointing Pat, real disappointing. I am sure flams will commence, but this is what a lot are thinking but afraid to say it cause you are Pat Lawlor. I am going to hold dear the existing games you made while at Williams / Bally and Stern and assume you were under some mental and emotional stress when you designed this mess. Sorry man, I was one of your biggest fans.
Disappointed in Chicago
dougram69

You're not alone.

#4 7 years ago

Sorry that you don't like it. I think it looks amazing, and if not for a crazy price point, I would be seriously interested in buying one.

#5 7 years ago

I appreciate you writing that in a Dear Abby format..bravo

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

News flash: you don't need to play a game to form an opinion on the artwork and theme. We get it, you like the game. Can you really not understand that some people are so against its aesthetic that gameplay isn't required for them to make a decision as to wether or not they like it. The game looks it was meant for a McDonald's happy meal and I don't need to play it to know it doesn't appeal to me. Glad you played it, glad you can't wait to spend 9k on it, but seriously, you're dialed in wanking is getting old.

#7 7 years ago

Ouch. I wish him luck... but yeah; I don't get it either.
Bad pricing... questionable theme. Just another Meh title to me.
I'm more tempted for a BMSLE myself; but even that's a non start due to the price.

Good luck to Pat in whatever future work he may have.

#8 7 years ago

I played the game at expo and think its Pat's best playing game since TZ. When code is complete it might be his best in spite of the theme.

#9 7 years ago

One of the best games to come out in a long time IMHO. It's true that every title doesn't appeal to everyone so here we are. There will be another Pat Lawlor game and we shall see how you feel about that one.

#10 7 years ago

So I guess it didn't met your expectations?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

The game looks it was meant for a McDonald's happy meal

I'll have to remember that one. Very funny.

(I think the game looks great though)

#12 7 years ago

20% code and you have made your mind up... OK

#13 7 years ago

Lawlor was my favorite when I first got into the hobby, now it's SR of course. I love his original themes. If RS were being released right now the theme would do nothing for me. But I like it. IMHO the theme choice here is really genius for location. Not limiting, appeals to everyone in some small way, visually attractive. Time will tell. To the huge lawlor fans out there I advise a wait and see approach used ones will be available soon.

#14 7 years ago

I watched the reveal on line and was not impressed at first. The name really confused me. I went to expo on saturday and played it quite a few times. I have to say, after playing it I do like it alot. And like previously stated, at only 20% code I'm very curious to see what else the game has instore.

#15 7 years ago

This sounds like somebody that simply wants to pontificate on why they hate the theme. Real gameplay comments (actually a single comment) are the amazingly descriptive "weak". Oh also "worst of all Lawlor games"...ummm NOBODY has even claimed this before. Even the people that didn't love it.
No mention of the magnets, Einstein Theater, diverter action, etc like people have talked about that *actually* played the game. If he DID actually play it he was obviously hyperventilating over the theme so the gameplay went by in a confused blur.

But hey it's the interwebz so if there is something we don't understand or personally care for... let's start a whole new thread about it.
Don't forget the hyperbolic "worst game ever from -xx-" comment. Well at least that old chestnut got trotted out.
And don't forget the trollish title so your awesomely important opinion gets some eyeballs... "Pat failed us". Check

PS: I'm glad I didn't let the frighteningly important concept of "scale" between game toys scare me off from enjoying the awesome gameplay of TWD. Holy bejeezus Batman

I'd rather read comments by people that a) didn't like the theme but liked the gameplay or b) liked the theme but didn't like the gameplay. At least you know the person is capable of separating the two.

#16 7 years ago

There is no theme that everyone is going to like, and this one doesn't have that sexy curb appeal that a lot of us were expecting, but I have a feeling that this game is going to develop and age very well. Pat Lawlor has always lived on edge of advancing pinball tech, so it really shouldn't be a surprise that he chose a controversial theme instead of playing it safe with something like say Funhouse 2: Rudy's Revenge!

#17 7 years ago

Wow, this is pretty disrespectful. Please remove "us" from the title, I certainly don't agree with your opinion.

#18 7 years ago

Details matter....

#19 7 years ago

News flash: you don't need to play a game to form an opinion on the artwork and theme. We get it, you like the game. Can you really not understand that some people are so against its aesthetic that gameplay isn't required for them to make a decision as to wether or not they like it. The game looks it was meant for a McDonald's happy meal and I don't need to play it to know it doesn't appeal to me. Glad you played it, glad you can't wait to spend 9k on it, but seriously, you're dialed in wanking is getting old.

happy to know that some people buy pins to look at them only.

#20 7 years ago

haters-gonna-hate-skunk (resized).pnghaters-gonna-hate-skunk (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Moderation notice: The last part of the original thread title ("Pat Lawlor Failed Us") has been removed.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, positive or negative.
The OP's opinion is based on direct experience. We are not challenging this. But one should speak for himself, not for others.

#22 7 years ago

I think the game looks fun to play, loads of potential.

Name - can live with that.

But, if I were to spend this kind of money, why do I want a guy that looks like he walked out of the late 80's staring at me from every angle?

I am sure the key demographic buying pinball machines is men between 30 - 60 and so making the art more sexy is a no brainer to me.....

#23 7 years ago

I didn't really care for the cabinet art or theme when I first saw it at Expo. I got to play a few games on it and I think the game play and flow is very good. JJP has proven with WOZ and TH that complete code is important so I have full confidence that the code will get to 100% soon after the pin starts shipping.

'Theme' will always be as important as game play to some which I don't understand. Many people said they didn't care for the WoZ theme, but that didn't stop it from selling. The dedication to code has increased it's popularity. I think the same will happen with Dialed In.

The issue I see (along with many others) is the price. I just don't see how Stern and JJP can continue raising the prices and expect the home and operator buyers to continue purchasing. I guess with a higher profit margin, you can afford to sell less pins.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Interesting how the code being 1/5 complete doesn't seem to matter when people are praising how awesome the gameplay is...

Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Every time I walk in my room, my pins are the main focus. They are the most eye grabbing thing in my entire home. You'd better believe it is more important for me that they look badass for the twenty or so hours a day I see them versus the one or two hours I spend playing them. Obviously, I don't buy them just to look at them, but let's get real, if a comic book looks shitty, and has a dumb theme, are you gonna drop cash because you're assuming the story is great? Oh, and the comic is only one fifth complete and costs nine thousand dollars.

#25 7 years ago

Quoted from RGR:
Interesting how the code being 1/5 complete doesn't seem to matter when people are praising how awesome the gameplay is...
Quoted from colonel_caverne:
Every time I walk in my room, my pins are the main focus. They are the most eye grabbing thing in my entire home. You'd better believe it is more important for me that they look badass for the twenty or so hours a day I see them versus the one or two hours I spend playing them. Obviously, I don't buy them just to look at them, but let's get real, if a comic book looks shitty, and has a dumb theme, are you gonna drop cash because you're assuming the story is great? Oh, and the comic is only one fifth complete and costs nine thousand dollars.

I like the way u think sir, agree 100%.
Dialed In will be a fun pin to play on site somewhere but I would never put one in my home, it looks like it belongs in a Chuck'E"Cheese.

#26 7 years ago

But... what are the odds that it gets terrible as they finish it, versus the odds it gets better as they finish it? You're not comparing apples to apples. Machines pretty universally get better as the code is completed. It really makes sense to praise the gameplay today if you like it, regardless of the state of the code. The playfield is set.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Funhouse 2: Rudy's Revenge!

Well that would have been amazing, I think Rudy's Revenge would have come across a lot better than DI.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Moderation notice: The last part of the original thread title ("Pat Lawlor Failed Us") has been removed.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, positive or negative.
The OP's opinion is based on direct experience. We are not challenging this. But one should speak for himself, not for others.

I understood "us" to mean the OP and his brother.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I didn't really care for the cabinet art or theme when I first saw it at Expo. I got to play a few games on it and I think the game play and flow is very good. JJP has proven with WOZ and TH that complete code is important so I have full confidence that the code will get to 100% soon after the pin starts shipping.
'Theme' will always be as important as game play to some which I don't understand. Many people said they didn't care for the WoZ theme, but that didn't stop it from selling. The dedication to code has increased it's popularity. I think the same will happen with Dialed In.
The issue I see (along with many others) is the price. I just don't see how Stern and JJP can continue raising the prices and expect the home and operator buyers to continue purchasing. I guess with a higher profit margin, you can afford to sell less pins.

+1∆∆
I couldn't agree more! Well said Sir.

#30 7 years ago

'Theme' will always be as important as game play to some which I don't understand.

In a home collection then yeah theme is actually more important for me but out in the wild I couldn't care less, I play WOZ everytime I go to buy parts at my local distributor and I'll do that with Dialed In but I would never buy either, I've tried it several times, Xmen, Met, Tron, AC/DC and while I did enjoy the month or less they were here I couldn't get over the theme and that effected the fun factor, Let me ask you if Stern made a Slayer pin with that music and evil imagery or an Evil Dead pin with gory parts from the films etc. would you still buy one for the home because the gameplay was great or would making ramps shots that resulted in a chainsaw decapitation throw off the thrill? I know those are extreme comparisons but for me and dialed In they are equal, the toys and cell phone, selfies and bad cartoon animations, circus music and call outs even at 20% complete code I'm not interested, Theme is very important.

#31 7 years ago

In the end this is probably a good thing. JJP will get burned by a combination of TH (horrible movie trilogy) and DI (horrible theme).

They'll get scared that if they put out another stinker they could be done.

PL design and all the hype and this is what they come up with? They're lucky if they can sell enough to keep afloat until their next title which had better be phenomenal in every way.

Stern gave them the opening and they could have taken a step forward in sales against an overpriced BM.

#32 7 years ago

I'm small time compared to dealers nation wide. Meet Jack several times, Dinner, great guy, awesome company. I wish I had time to take him up on an offer.
I had 4 or 5 of these on order ,pre sold if under 9k. Reveal time, .....I was in shock all Expo weekend after reveal. Biggest dissapoint.
I won't be buying any....Main reason I heard from my clients. Name, Name, theme, toys on playfield..
Still in shock...I keep asking myself..Really?

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from dougram69:

He has made all my favorite games. (TZ,TAF,FH, etc.)

You are stuck in the 90s. Do you forget that he has designed a few games since then? He lost his fastball years ago. I always blamed it on Stern being cheap with the BOM, but no, Pat is the past.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I would never put one in my home, it looks like it belongs in a Chuck'E"Cheese.

This was never meant for home collectors. Jack has said all along he wants to build games for redemption locations.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

This was never meant for home collectors. Jack has said all along he wants to build games for redemption locations.

Few of the redemption locations here in NJ want them.

Too much cost (upfront/maintenance) and too little return.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Yet its too expensive for operators to put on route.

I formed my opinion after watching 2 hours of video stream. I'll pass for now.

Anybody saying they can form an opinion as to how great or bad it is after a handful of plays is nuts. Put 300 or 400 on it and then report back.

#37 7 years ago

I don't think anyone who only plays a game once or twice is entitled to any more of an opinion than people who haven't at all. Roller Coaster Tycoon is fun a couple of times, and games like The Simpsons don't shine until you play it 100 times and really understand it.

Quoted from ryanwanger:

#38 7 years ago

i think buyers will pass more and more and wait for a pin that they love the theme and artwork. they may even wait for a polished code to be sure it is great. Volume production will decrease in my opinion. Raising prices is killing the market.

Personally i'm in (#17) but it's only because i have sold my Acdc Luci.

#39 7 years ago

Maybe the price is a bit much but in this business and especially with millenials you have to remember one thing, what is going to make money and diversify from the overly used tv, music, and movie themes. I've only just recently switched from arcades to pins. recently but the reason was simple as it was the same themes over and over again. Maybe this is not everyone's cup of tea but remember that in today's society where electronic devices and selfies are the thing, this is not a theme just for pin heads but also reaching out to the younger crowd as well. We can only play Street Fighter for so long and any of its 101 reiterations before we say enough.

#40 7 years ago

Wow, hate much?
Horrible movies notwithstanding, Hobbit is selling very nicely, thank you.
Dialed In not for you? Too bad, but there will be other games you may like better.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Put 300 or 400 on it and then report back.

in other words, let's someone put 9000$ on it and then report back to me

#42 7 years ago

Why bother with this thread? Ok, you don't like the theme and you wouldn't own one. There are several pins that fit that category for most of us, but "This pin sucks" threads aren't popping up all over. Is it solely, because you need to bitch about something?

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Why bother with this thread? Ok, you don't like the theme and you wouldn't own one. There are several pins that fit that category for most of us, but "This pin sucks" threads aren't popping up all over. Is it solely, because you need to bitch about something?

So you can only start a new thread expressing an opinion of a game that very few have actually played if that opinion is a positive one?

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So you can only start a new thread expressing an opinion of a game that very few have actually played if that opinion is a positive one?

the guy only bitch it because he does not like toy, the color, the scale of some stuff etc..i think that is a bit "light" for a guy who is supposed to have played it several times. not a word about gameplay.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

You are stuck in the 90s. Do you forget that he has designed a few games since then? He lost his fastball years ago. I always blamed it on Stern being cheap with the BOM, but no, Pat is the past.

Your disillusionment is the saddest part of all. You were always posting "Hi Pat" at the end of posts anticipating this game. Sorry this isn't appealing to you.

#46 7 years ago

Maybe there should be an alternate edition for pinsiders, where the guy on the playfield is a woman with her tits out, and the little guy on a stick is a woman with her tits out, and the big statue is still a woman, but she has her tits out. JJP hire me!!!

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

One of the best games to come out in a long time IMHO. It's true that every title doesn't appeal to everyone so here we are. There will be another Pat Lawlor game and we shall see how you feel about that one.

One of the most worthless opinions to get posted in the last year.

Polarizing theme.
Unfinished code.
Only played it a couple of days at most.

It might turn out to be a great game. It really might. What it needs is to get finished and it to be out a couple years so people can form a real opinion. Rampant fanboisim whenever a new machine gets announced has gotten real old. Wanna go read how TF was gonna be the best thing ever? How about rolling stones? You can go back and read about how great a game CSI was too! All you need to do is find posts from when it was first announced or shown and there will be a line of idiots stumbling over themselves to profess their undying enthusiasm for the unknown.

#48 7 years ago

Wow
So maybe dung is an appropriate name for you, huh?
My opinion is worthless, is it? Well excuse me for having one. I didn't realize I had to clear it with you first.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Wow
So maybe dung is an appropriate name for you, huh?
My opinion is worthless, is it? Well excuse me for having one. I didn't realize I had to clear it with you first.

Oh the burn, he used my name as an insult! Lemme just go get the aloe there Voltaire. Your wit is a credit to your education.

You don't need anyone's permission to make a fool of yourself, but by all means please do. Life is made much easier when the sheeple out themselves so readily.

#50 7 years ago

Everyone has a right to their opinion, however I would be inclined to take the word of people that have played the game. Yes the theme is certainly polarising, hell no one can even say for certain if you the good guy or the bad guy I.e saving or destroying the city? However watching the buffalo stream and seeing the constant smile on Bowden's face gave me a lot of hope for this game. To bad I can't see any coming to an Arcade near me anytime soon at the current price and poor AUD. That being said in many ways it did seem typical Lawlor, activate mode hole, by completing shots, hit mode scoop, start mode, bumpers one mode, standup next, ramps other, scoops next etc.... Wash repeat. Nothing super orginal, although the layout does seem to offer more flow then typical Lawlor designs. All in all I would say the current verdict is, gameplay and fun A+ name F- theme C+ ( (from those that had played). Original themes are always going to be a bit polarising unless played and you have a chance to experience the designers intent and the story, they aren't as say to summarise in a one line catch phrase, or to try and translate in a bye line. For my two cents I think the character design, both the main protagonist and Mick on a stick and 50ft women are the real flaws in the game much more so then the name. Seriously, who the F---k tucks their shirt into their jeans now days, it's a lame character design period.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 22.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-not-awesome-pat-lawlor-failed-us?hl=emagic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.