• 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jaytech10
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg
munch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
ada23b3730f8b7d52518a9571d2bf2f080e50d72 (resized).jpg
ff81d66e15935f7896f55f25da0740bce0ed3590 (resized).jpg
23f0d9c1a5a69e17de3d5d79db7d74557058e630 (resized).jpg
IMG_3831 (resized).JPG
image-18 (resized).jpg
sub-buzz-7165-1476217730-1 (resized).jpg
fkrCCfd (resized).png
Titanic-slot-machine-las-vegas (resized).jpg
The_Pabst_Can_Crusher (resized).jpg
t mobile (resized).jpg
ui7fi (resized).jpg
blue (resized).jpg
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

well, since you so kindly asked...as I see it, a pin is an interpretation of some theme - a movie, an institution, an activity, a musical group, etc. The interpretation is, of course, from the design team at the pinball company. If I like the interpretation, then for me it’s a good theme. Take DI - Pat Lawlor’s triumphant return to pinball - it’s a wacky look at modern day life - with really funny caricatures of different slices of society, it’s poking fun at how smart phones and emojis are taking over our lives - and our biggest goal in life is to collect sim cards - it’s brilliant and funny and great satire. I find it a bit ironic that you try to paint it as a child’s theme when in my view it’s probably one of the most adult themes in a modern pin.
Take Metallica on the other hand, probably my favorite band. The pin is not from Metallica, however, but from John Borg and Stern. It’s their interpretation of Metallica - and in my view a bit off - thus not a good theme. Take Addams Family on the other hand - a licenced theme - in my view it’s a great interpretation of the move - it’s a great theme.
But remember - you did ask...

An original theme usually offers more creativity to the design team. I agree with your DI comments.

Your Metallica comments are bizarre. All Stern music pins feature the bands music...the music is Metallica, no? The caricatures are of the band members...no? The band was also involved in the pins development and did the callouts...no?

Since Metallica is your favorite band, what would you do differently?

#402 4 years ago

Dialed in is way too campy. I find it borderline insulting as a grown man. If it had a more serious tone, it would have been fine, even with the mom jeans and flip phone. Pat has always been about campy humor, which is why I hate his games. He has incredible layouts, but the worst themes.

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I find it borderline insulting as a grown man.

Uh oh.
Look Romulusk another one of those "too cool for school" fellas. Listen DarkKnight ur to manly for this game, god damn you.

I really enjoy playing Dialed In, its my favorite of the JJP tables but yeah the theme. Anyway I just can't resist torturing the JJP fanboys, they make it so easy.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Uh oh.
Look Romulusk another one of those "too cool for school" fellas. Listen DarkKnight ur to manly for this game, god damn you.
I really enjoy playing Dialed In, its my favorite of the JJP tables but yeah the theme. Anyway I just can't resist torturing the JJP fanboys, they make it so easy.

Wow Dialed In insulted his manhood what the hell does that say about him?

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Wow Dialed In insulted his manhood what the hell does that say about him?

He probably secretly dresses up in mom jeans.

#406 4 years ago

I don't care what anyone thinks, having a pin in your house regardless of theme does not make you look like a grown man to the average person -period.
In fact, it makes you look like a man child whether it's MET or Wonka. That hot friend of your wife who comes over- yeah she thinks you're a creep and she's not flooding her basement when she sees IM or BSD if you get my drift so put the crocs away.

If you can't get over the theme with DI hey that's your prerogative, but the game is easily one of the best playing pins out there so your loss if you can't get past it.

It's like a supermodel underneath the librarian facade, Just get a bag over it's head, take it to bed and you'll see.

#407 4 years ago

CELL PHONE, THE PIN.

That’s the way I see it.
Played it. Was ok. Just cannot get immersed into this game. Should have titled more on genetic city destruction/rescue.

Could’ve named it, RESCUE 911! That name alone sells. Already done?

Then how about ATTACK FROM MARS! That’s better.

#408 4 years ago
Quoted from gjm7777:

I don't care what anyone thinks, having a pin in your house regardless of theme does not make you look like a grown man to the average person -period.
In fact, it makes you look like a man child whether it's MET or Wonka.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

#409 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Since Metallica is your favorite band, what would you do differently?

I agree, the band call-outs are one of the more endearing features of the game. And I assume the band was somehow involved, not sure how much. And it’s one of the more attractive Stern pins, for sure. And I’ve come close to getting one a few times - maybe I will still. But where did this Sparky figure come from and why all this focus on tombstones and coffins (just because of the cover of MoP - which is about war and/or drug addiction)? And what’s with the snake - from Don’t Tread on Me ? I guess I would try to make the imagery of the pin fit better to the songs - with the possible danger that the pin would become too dark.

But back to DI...

#410 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

... But where did this Sparky figure come from and why all this focus on tombstones and coffins ..And what’s with the snake - from Don’t Tread on Me ?

Ride the Lightening
Master of puppets
Death magnetic
Black album/dont tread on me

Quoted from branlon8:

I guess I would try to make the imagery of the pin fit better to the songs - with the possible danger that the pin would become too dark.

It literally has a bunch of modes named after songs and everything is taken from albums...I don't know how much "better" it could go together.

#411 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Quoted from gjm7777:

In fact, it makes you look like a man child whether it's MET or Wonka. That hot friend of your wife who comes over- yeah she thinks you're a creep and she's not flooding her basement when she sees IM or BSD if you get my drift so put the crocs away.
If you can't get over the theme with DI hey that's your prerogative, but the game is easily one of the best playing pins out there so your loss if you can't get past it.
It's like a supermodel underneath the librarian facade, Just get a bag over it's head, take it to bed and you'll see.

Right on brother!

#412 4 years ago

Dialed in is way too campy. I find it borderline insulting as a grown man. .

Quoted from romulusx:

Right on brother!

Are you saying it's weird that people are calling a pinball machine too campy and not manly enough they own a fucking Kiss?!?

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you saying it's weird that people are calling a pinball machine too campy and not manly enough that own a fucking Kiss?!?

You talking to me?

#414 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You talking to me?

I'm agreeing with your post and referencing darknight

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm agreeing with your post and referencing darknight

Cool,more power to ya!

#416 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It literally has a bunch of modes named after songs and everything is taken from albums...I don't know how much "better" it could go together.

Oh come on! You gotta do better than that. If you want to be convincing you need song titles and either relevant passages from said songs or your interpretation of the song.

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

. If you want to be convincing you need song titles and either relevant passages from said songs or your interpretation of the song.

I try not to listen to any of the lyrics or their music in general, because I find it horrible.
But for sure it all looks very "Metallica-ish" to me.

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I try not to listen to any of the lyrics or their music in general, because I find it horrible.
But for sure it all looks very "Metallica-ish" to me.

good answer - I’m convinced!

#419 4 years ago

I just wonder if this had a second skin of "Quantum City", new backglass, cab decals, how many more would sell?

#420 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I just wonder if this had a second skin of "Quantum City", new backglass, cab decals, how many more would sell?

Get rid of that phone...probably more. A lot more. But, never know.

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yes, get rid of the coolest toy on there.

These are great ideas. No, really. Let's change JP2 by removing the trex and calling it "fat guy goes to an island." Stern would sell millions of that machine. Millions.

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

OH NO THE PHONE! How dare JJP base a toy on a device that has changed communication and the way we get information more than any other electronic in history. All those custom character animations for every mode that are displayed on it? They have gone too far, a cheap toy non interactive toy with thin plastics attached to a chunk of metal that I can then spend $200 for a cheap looking 3D printed mod to replace it would be so much better. If JJP isn't careful people are going to question why other games don't have as many features, 3D molded toys, and as much code work going into the games toys.

Reaction to the phone toy in Dialed In by some Pinsiders lol.

munch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpgmunch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpg

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

OH NO THE PHONE! How dare JJP base a toy on a device that has changed communication and the way we get information more than any other electronic in history! All those custom character animations for every mode that are displayed on it? They have gone too far, a cheap toy with thin plastics attached to an ugly chunk of metal like on most games would be so much better. Give me a break!

Couldn't agree more. Pinball collectors were hungry for "original themes". Pinball over the years has paid homage to cultural elements. Paying homage to smart phones in this "disaster theme" pinball works. I don't love the emoji mode, but it fits with theme and smart phone. I don't love everything about my DILE, but it's still one of the coolest games in my collection (and JJP's best effort IMHO).

#424 4 years ago

Let me start by saying I'm a HUGE Pat Lawlor fan. I own 5 of his pins: TAF / FH / TZ / ES / WW. I've had all these games since the mid 90's.

I've tried to give DI some serious love, just can't get into it. It's partially bcuz of the cell phone theme, blue jeans, emojis and self pictures.

With that said: I initially didn't like White Water... now that's an awesome game. It too has been in my collection for 20+ years.

Someday I'll revisit DI and see if I can rekindle the relationship.

#425 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Yes, get rid of the coolest toy on there.
These are great ideas. No, really. Let's change JP2 by removing the trex and calling it "fat guy goes to an island." Stern would sell millions of that machine. Millions.

Ok, so that’s plus one on the phone.

#426 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

OH NO THE PHONE! How dare JJP base a toy on a device that has changed communication and the way we get information more than any other electronic in history. All those custom character animations for every mode that are displayed on it? They have gone too far, a cheap toy non interactive toy with thin plastics attached to a chunk of metal that I can then spend $200 for a cheap looking 3D printed mod to replace it would be so much better. If JJP isn't careful people are going to question why other games don't have as many features, 3D molded toys, and as much code work going into the games toys.
Reaction to the phone toy in Dialed In by some Pinsiders lol.
[quoted image]

Yep, reaction is right. And I DIDN’T buy it, so lost sale there. Phone, oversized dolls on pf. Nope.

Same reason I didn’t buy Fat Guy goes to an island pin. Minor character, can’t get past Nedry on PF. I have ZERO illusions how they got him for callouts.
And I wouldn’t buy a JAWS pin from Stern if it only had callouts and art of this guy from the movie:
26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ok, so that’s plus one on the phone.

How about plus two on the phone,
You and Hazoff need to have a good old fashion circle jerk

#428 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

How about plus two on the phone,
You and Hazoff need to have a good old fashion circle jerk

Ok, RomulusX is in. Now it’s a party.

#429 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yep, reaction is right. And I DIDN’T buy it, so lost sale there. Phone, oversized dolls on pf. Nope.
Same reason I didn’t buy Fat Guy goes to an island pin. Minor character, can’t get past Nedry on PF. I have ZERO illusions how they got him for callouts.
And I wouldn’t buy a JAWS pin from Stern if it only had callouts and art of this guy from the movie:
[quoted image]

Oooh! I love that guy! The beach reporter in Jaws! Ol’ whatshisname? Forget Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfus! Build a pin around that dude and Lorraine Gary and I’m Dialed In! Maybe a cameo by Nedry?

#430 4 years ago

I love the callouts and theme of dialed in. A day in quantum city works, and Mike Banter is perfectly integrated. I also went out of my way to support an original theme from Pat.

That said, the game was supposed to be called Killer App, and the art was going to be different. That would have sold them a lot more games, but Jack wants family friendly, which isn't too popular these days.

As for people hating the phone and camera, the same number would have hated any alternatives. When I have tournaments, everyone loves these features, and the shots are balanced enough for newbs and pros to enjoy. People seem to forget that Elwin's games do not possess this balance. Pat Lawler is the greatest pinball designer of all time because he understands and executes this balance better than anyone in the industry.

#431 4 years ago

I’m not a big fan of how the phone looks, mainly the lights. But I’m not sure how else to bring attention to it when a mode is qualified. I suppose an insert? I really like the feature allows you to select the mode, useful depending on your progress towards Big Bang. It gives immediate status towards your game progress in and out of modes, no way I’d replace it.
The things people are saying they hate in this game also seem to be “hated” by the designer if you pay attention.

#432 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

the game was supposed to be called Killer App, and the art was going to be different.

Interesting, Killer App would have been a great title also. This is a JJP masterpiece! The team nailed this including the art, music, code and theme. So glad we got an original theme in this day and age. I love all the Easter eggs that pay homage to Pats previous games. Wish they would due one more update and leave something to hint the brain behind DIE was Rudy from Funhouse on the Showdown mode! The humor makes me laugh everytime I play it, makes me feel good. Isn't that what pinballs all about?

#433 4 years ago

“Dialed In is not awesome”..........Tell that to my grandmother!! It’s her favorite game!!!

#434 4 years ago

“Dialed In is not awesome”..........Tell that to my grandmother!! It’s her favorite game!!!

Your grandma has good taste in pinball machines,to bad you didn't take after her?

#435 4 years ago

The existence of this game seems to really upset you and several others. Maybe you should talk to someone.

#436 4 years ago

...Tell that to my grandmother!!

She can come over and play mine.
#DTF

11 months later
#437 3 years ago

All JJP machines don't have a simple way to get a high score. No just start this mode or multi ball. You have to actually have to play the machine. Pat lawlor designs got harder and harder over the years. Risk vs reward. JJP machines are better in every way than stern. Cabinet, lights, sound, LCD. You can go play a out dated 90s and stern one trip pony machines. I like a challenge.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-not-awesome-pat-lawlor-failed-us/page/9?hl=yaksplat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.