• 157 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Jaytech10
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

26BB7308-A618-4CD2-AD33-18B8265E5538 (resized).jpeg
munch_the_scream_invitations-rc6c699e07c1746f7be1f1ca8e7dd7027_zk91q_704 (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
download (resized).jpg
ada23b3730f8b7d52518a9571d2bf2f080e50d72 (resized).jpg
ff81d66e15935f7896f55f25da0740bce0ed3590 (resized).jpg
23f0d9c1a5a69e17de3d5d79db7d74557058e630 (resized).jpg
IMG_3831 (resized).JPG
image-18 (resized).jpg
sub-buzz-7165-1476217730-1 (resized).jpg
fkrCCfd (resized).png
Titanic-slot-machine-las-vegas (resized).jpg
The_Pabst_Can_Crusher (resized).jpg
t mobile (resized).jpg
ui7fi (resized).jpg
blue (resized).jpg
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If you think beautiful scantily clad women are more underwhelming than a cell phone, then yes.

That's the problem. Too many barns, poker cards and ice skating, not enough "scantily clad women". Unless you like pointy scantily clad women, lol.

No, there's nothing sexy about a cell phone. But, this is JJP. We knew it would be family friendly regardless of theme. My point is this art is way better than that which is on games that are considered classics.

#152 7 years ago

If you don't understand a phone has less attraction than for example castles, knights, dragons, monsters, vulcanos, tsunamis, earthquakes, ghost houses, oceans, deepspace, jungle, sahara, rollercoasters, thiefs, trains, end of the world, etc etc etc, you will never understand why this pin will sell way less than it should be.

It will be one of the most fun games ever i am afraid. And only a few millionairs jump on it, have the greatest time of their life, and JJP is fighting to survive this lowtime in selling pins.

Why pick this theme? Why???? I am still shellshocked everytime i think about it.

Next pin, please before you start with it, of the next after that one, please try to ask the community somehow, or the people that actually bought jjp pins. It will never hurt you knowing the theme you pick is widely wanted.

I want to jump on board mate, just make that grale!

#153 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

That's the problem. Too many barns, poker cards and ice skating, not enough "scantily clad women".

I don't know what games you are buying, but that does sound like some pretty weak selections.

#154 7 years ago

Yeah, o-din..the exception does not prove your point. I thought of Fireball too when making the post. I only wish more EM art looked like that instead of this:

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

20% code and you have made your mind up... OK

I don't understand why posters are using this as a critique. JJP has a huge announcement of a game and the best they can do is have only 20% of the code complete? It's not like they had some hard timeline they had to hit for an announcement. This was the time and place of their choosing.

So, again, if you want to release a new product with an iffy at best title, theme that has to be explained in detail, a pricing scheme that is hyper-aggressive (I'm being kind here) AND then make sure only 20% of the code is in place....then I think you deserve every bit of criticism that is being heaped on you.

Get past the Lawlor fan-boy crushes and just look at this unbiasedly. This is a half-done machine at a price for the SE that is double what JJP was charging just five years ago. I've lost alot of respect for both Lawlor and JJP with this product launch. And, I did play about 20 games of DI at Expo.... I thought it was "meh" at best. Who wants a damn game taking their picture?

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

I only wish more EM art looked like that instead of this:

I'll pass on that one. Thousands of titles and you pick that.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from zaterminator:

I looked at the game and my 1st thought was, wow this could have been a super cool. The city disaster theme doesn't really bother me. However, had it been incorporated in more of an Ex-Machina, AI, Matrix, type vibe I think it would have been much cooler. You could have kept the phone, used it as integration to co-op with AI to defend the city. You could also have produced an avenue that the AI was the cause of the disasters later in the game. Obviously rather than a cartoon look, something a little darker would have to be used for the LCD & animations. Also, people may saw it wasn't "fully original" if you drew small parallels from those source materials.
I am probably off base & a lot of people would have thought it was terrible if created in such a way. However, it was the my immediate reaction & thoughts when I saw the theme.

I think you're exactly on the right track... Even if I agree that the name sucks, theme is fine, and game play might be great, it still misses the mark big time in the -IMPLEMENTATION- of the theme...

It doesn't need to pull from one of your example licenses, but it needs to have a way better holistic implementation contributing to the theme. Instead we got a hodge podge of random shit: drones, mobile phone, drab and uncharismatic characters, Bob the Builder / Red & Ted's offspring.

#158 7 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Next pin, please before you start with it, of the next after that one, please try to ask the community somehow, or the people that actually bought jjp pins. It will never hurt you knowing the theme you pick is widely wanted.

You'll only get thousands of different answers. I don't think any sane manufacturer would ever do that.

LTG : )

#159 7 years ago

I have absolutely no interest in mobile phones, I hate them. The LAST thing I would pay for is mobile based pinball, I have absolutely no interest in this game.
And then of course there is the price.
Thanks but no thanks.

#161 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

Yeah, o-din..the exception does not prove your point.

And what point? How many recent games have beautiful, scantily clad women on them?

#162 7 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

so did you just use a cell phone (out of date thing supposedly) commercial to push the point that ACDC is not out of date? I have not problems with ACDC or aerosmith, the games are fun regardless of the out of date themes.
I can only hope that they are more known in 20 years than swift and adele.

I love cell phones, I can hardly live without one, but same can be said about gasoline or the Internet. However that's not the same as saying gasoline or the Internet would be a great theme.

What's next after Dialed In? 'Log on' or 'Full Tank'?

Some things just aren't very interesting. I know cell phones are powerful and a great advance but I'm just not excited like I am for Iron Man or some classic songs/bands of all time.

People pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to see the Rolling Stones. While I love my phone, two years from now I'm on to the next one. It's an object to me. Just like a nice set of tires or a beautiful TV. I can appreciate it but don't really jazz me up to spend $9000 for a pinball about a phone.

Edit I know the pinball is more than about the phone but just to me, I'd far rather have a different theme/title.

Let's say TZ was not about TZ but rather was called 'Slot machine' or a 'Gum Ball machine'?. It'd still be a great flipping game but just not really a great theme. Can you not see the difference?

#163 7 years ago

Suppose the next two pins are licensed themes? Would that please people?

#164 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And what point? How many recent games have beautiful, scantily clad women on them?

None, unfortunately, but I thought your point was EMs have that kinda art.

#165 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

No, there's nothing sexy about a cell phone.

you're not looking at the right sites on your phone then.

#166 7 years ago

If you don't understand a phone has less attraction than for example castles, knights, dragons, monsters, vulcanos, tsunamis, earthquakes, ghost houses, oceans, deepspace, jungle, sahara, rollercoasters, thiefs, trains, end of the world, etc etc etc, you will never understand why this pin will sell way less than it should be.

this game has several of those things you just listed as awesome as modes. The "phone" just tells you that its happening.

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

not a fan of metallica then, huh? Gotta fill the fuel gauge.

#168 7 years ago

OK ...I actually played the game at EXPO and had some good time on it.

Personally ..I found it fun and refreshing.

It had that Pat Lawlor feel to it which I can tell right off the bat.

I think its interesting what JJP did integrating Cell Phone use into the game. That's another first and it's smart move.
Why? Well just look at the other games that are coming out. Alien has an integrated LCD display in the middle of the PF..LEXI Lightspeed is mainly a LCD screen with interchangeable upper PFs. And look at the success of VPCAbs..the vertigo.

Some purist are not going to like this game just for the fact of the evolving technology. But if you look at who's getting into pinball these days..it's the younger generation who are all tech savvy to begin with. They are going to eat this up.
The selfie shot.. people spend money on selfie sticks...

Even if you take away all the tech in this game..I think it's a winner. But that's me.. I will be getting one.

#169 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You'll only get thousands of different answers. I don't think any sane manufacturer would ever do that.

It is the other way around. Jjp thinks of a theme, and tries to find out if it has any attraction. There are other companies based on doing this by the way. It is completely normal. Speaking about sanity, it is actually insane to NOT pitch your product before producing. It really is.

I think 99.999999999999% of all products being made are going through this proces..... it happens everywhere, all over the world, but sadly jjp just picks his themes, well... on his own, or he let his dog pick, roles a dice, or something, i dont know.

#170 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yet its too expensive for operators to put on route.
I formed my opinion after watching 2 hours of video stream. I'll pass for now.
Anybody saying they can form an opinion as to how great or bad it is after a handful of plays is nuts. Put 300 or 400 on it and then report back.

Sadly, title and phone give this pin a zero chance of me owning it...I truly despise my phone that much (have destroyed several, job related). That's not opinion, but fact. I do hope the game is successful, however, and many enjoy it.........

#171 7 years ago

One man's opinion (and that's all this is).

1)Theme is important to me....especially to own it. This one is a fail in that department.
2)(again...for me) even great code can't make up for bad theme/art. Now. that doesn't mean I don't want to (or won't) play it. I do want to play it and if it has GREAT code and good flow I'll keep playing it when I come across it.......but I still won't buy it.

The games I hang on to the longest tick ALL the boxes for me.....theme, code, art, flow....etc...

WOZ was a "meh" theme for me....didn't hate it, didn't love it. But then I didn't really care for the gameplay either.....and to this day I keep trying it but it hasn't gotten any better to me.

Hobbit - better theme for me and I like playing it. In fact I like playing it quite a bit but probably won't buy this one either becasue of the really long ball times (just not my thing).

For 9k (or even 7+k) The game has to have EVERYTHING I like in spades. Haven't come across a 7k + pin yet that does that. (Although there is a theme or two that could do it if properly executed).

#172 7 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

Yeah, I thought Indiana Jones would be a good game, but then I saw the size of those planes compared to the idol and I just couldn't play it...

LOL. Yeah, weird argument. I wonder if hates almost all games? Bat mobile is smaller than the Joker on BDK, the witch in WOZ is way to big to fit through the door of the spinning house, cross on Metallica is smaller than the snake (that's a big snake or a really tiny grave), etc...

Besides, the electric man in DI is the sign for the electric company (supposed to be big) and that chick in the back? Robot. Giant robot. LOL, see it all makes sense.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from Euchrid:

None, unfortunately, but I thought your point was EMs have that kinda art.

Many of them do. Including the oldest machine I own.

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpg

Hot chick with bow and arrow>lame dude with cell phone

#174 7 years ago

The silence in the room when the sheets were pulled off was crystal clear even in the video stream. Waiting impatiently for around 40 minutes for what it turned out to be dropped my jaw to the floor. Ah well, you can't please everyone every time.

#175 7 years ago

jjp just picks his themes, well... on his own, or he let his dog pick, roles a dice, or something, i dont know.

That is true of every pinball manufacturer.

No matter what you make. Some people will like it. Some don't. Williams didn't plan on so many close outs.

#176 7 years ago

I think if it was a hot chick holding the cell phone, this would be getting a whole different response.

#177 7 years ago

The guy on the playfield does look slightly hitlerjugendy, if you slapped a curled-up tie on that polo it might pass as a Dilbert pin.

#178 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That is true of every pinball manufacturer.
No matter what you make. Some people will like it. Some don't. Williams didn't plan on so many close outs.

Thats the question, does it matter. I think it does. You say every theme some like it some dont. But if that is the situation, than all those themes are not the ones you want.

It seems to me, as a company you dont want a theme where some like it. You want a theme where first responds on announcement lifts the roof. Any less reaction is just not wisely chosen, .

And there are dozen of (original) themes that would get that responds. And Dialed in is even worse than ' some like it some dont. ' Cause almost everybody sitting at expo, all hyped up, were disappointed. How is that a good thing????

Ah well.... agree to disagree.

#179 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Wow
So maybe dung is an appropriate name for you, huh?
My opinion is worthless, is it? Well excuse me for having one. I didn't realize I had to clear it with you first.

A lot of that seems to happen on Pinside.

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I love cell phones, I can hardly live without one, but same can be said about gasoline or the Internet. However that's not the same as saying gasoline or the Internet would be a great theme.
Some things just aren't very interesting. I know cell phones are powerful and a great advance but I'm just not excited like I am for Iron Man or some classic songs/bands of all time.
People pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to see the Rolling Stones. While I love my phone, two years from now I'm on to the next one. It's an object to me. Just like a nice set of tires or a beautiful TV. I can appreciate it but don't really jazz me up to spend $9000 for a pinball about a phone.
Edit I know the pinball is more than about the phone but just to me, I'd far rather have a different theme/title.
Let's say TZ was not about TZ but rather was called 'Slot machine' or a 'Gum Ball machine'?. It'd still be a great flipping game but just not really a great theme. Can you not see the difference?

Full Tank sounds awesome. Assuming it's military tank.

#181 7 years ago

Ah well.... agree to disagree.

Well said.

#182 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Suppose the next two pins are licensed themes? Would that please people?

It would please people if those licensed themes don't suck. The same goes for the shitty choice of an unlicensed theme.

All of these are way better IMO. Take your pick.

#183 7 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Let's face it - a large % of this community just can't accept original themes and want ancient crap like Munsters and Jaws instead.

+1. Massive point that needs to be underscored.

Being at the lower end of the age of the bell curve on these forums, I think that a lot of the complaints I've seen about this game come from people who don't necessarily understand it. Asking about current trends and popular culture questions on pinside would be like going into a Whole Foods and asking the shoppers there what their favorite McDonalds menu item is.

Hell, why do you think Stern is selling Batman '66 at such crazy prices? Because baby boomers have amassed the largest amount of wealth than any other generation of people ever in history. Stern is catering to that particular generation with theme and price. They know that within reason, the theme caters to that generation AND they know that a lot of people are willing to open their wallets for it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to underscore a point. Ask anyone my age or younger what they think of Batman '66, they'll tell you the theme sucks, "Why is Batman purple?" "Where's Christian Bale?" "Wait you're telling me Bookworm is a villain?"

You show literally anyone currently in high school or college right now (the people who are actually going to be spending any real time in an arcade anyway), and they'll instantly be able to relate to a cell phone. We already drool over the latest phones, but now there's a game that surrounds a cell phone so technologically advanced, it can potentially destroy an entire city by tapping into quantum energy? Damn. I know a lot of friends who'd line up to play that game. Maybe the name and theme of "Dialed in" are an allegory for cell phones destroying what little threads of face to face communication and society we have left in the age of instant information and networking.

At any rate, I think the game is brilliant. I don't want to discount people who dislike it, however; you're certainly entitled to that opinion. Constructive criticism is what pushes games to new boundaries. In the end, we all win. Pinball has had such an exciting rebirth since the death of B/W and Gottlieb, and new manufacturers have risen from the ashes. And even though I can't afford any of these NIB games, it's still exciting for me to watch them being cranked out.

Jersey Jack, if you're listening: If you could somehow get the game to accept Apple Pay, or Samsung Pay (or even an atm card), you'd have the biggest game changer since the bill acceptor. I can't remember the last time I carried cash on me. I can't imagine an NFC chip and a wifi card would be a deal breaker inclusion to the board set.

tl;dr:

"Dialed in" isn't a game built for the bread and butter users of pinside. It's designed to appeal to younger audiences in an arcade setting.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

"Dialed in" isn't a game built for the bread and butter users of pinside. It's designed to appeal to younger audiences in an arcade setting.

Good luck with that.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Good luck with that.

Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe it'll flop. Maybe it'll succeed. I'm just glad to see something fresh and relevant is being made.

#186 7 years ago

I think you've just given an inspiration for the next licensed theme to appeal to the same demographic.

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think you've just given an inspiration for the next licensed theme to appeal to the same demographic.

Hahahaha, it wouldn't be complete unless you included pumpkin spiced lattes for the women, and man buns for the guys.

Title: "Hipster: The Game"

#188 7 years ago

You want to know what kids are really into today? Extreme sports and rave parties.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Extreme sports

Looks like the operators should dig out their old "No Fear" games then!

On a serious note, I know a lot of people my age are really into yoga and hiking. Being "outdoorsy" is sorta getting really popular.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You want to know what kids are really into today? Extreme sports and rave parties.

Dude, I'm far from a kid and I love me a good rave, uh, party. PLUR forever!

Posted from a pair of JNCOs

#191 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

On a serious note, I know a lot of people my age are really into yoga and hiking.

You sound older than me now. I'll take surfing and skating myself. Yes my legs and arms can still do it. And I still have never owned a cell phone.

#192 7 years ago

It sounds like a great game that everyone says is not just about a cell phone. If JJP keeps everything the same and just admits they made a mistake by centering the art-package all around a guy holding a cell phone, all this controversy would stop (and rename it Quantum City).

Upon first seeing it, the reason everyone gasped, had a personal moment of silence and sat there in disbelief was that we were looking at a guy holding a cell phone. Even if you love everything about this game you have to be honest and admit that this image sucks. Whether you've played the game or not, the point is that one does not wrap a great game with an image like this. It's just the guy, not the game so get rid of the guy and everything will be great. Take a look at the pic below and tell me that you don't agree.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png

#193 7 years ago

It's still not too late to fix it.

download (1) (resized).jpgdownload (1) (resized).jpg

#194 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Metallica is 35 years old.
ACDC is 43 years old
Aerosmith 45 years old.
X-Men is 53 years old. Doesn't mean it's a bad theme.
IMO a cell phone is never a good theme. Why not have a pin about Titter or Facebook?

You did not mention ...

KISS is 43 years old.
Rolling Stones is 54 years old.
Rob Zombie is 20 years old now.

#195 7 years ago

Well I guess it's why Stern will never do an original theme again, they are in business to sell machines, lots of them

I applaud JJP for taking a risk, and it's all fine and good for people to cheerlead original themes, but if it goes down in flames it wasn't a risk worth taking was it? Then again, it's not your money lost

The problem with this one is the fact that there are a ton of new great pins coming out in 2017

Star Wars, Aerosmith, Aliens, Iron Maiden, Batman66, Pulp Fiction, JJP #4 and Spooky

Take your pick

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Take a look at the pic below and tell me that you don't agree.

I don't agree.

#197 7 years ago

I am imagining this same pin created decades ago with the guy holding up a TI calculator with some incredible ability to calculate the end of the world.

That image would seem pretty silly now ... I think some are concerned the same will occur with this guy holding up a 2013 vintage cell phone.

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am imagining this same pin created decades ago with the guy holding up a TI calculator

I am imagining that would have been at least as popular a choice.

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

blue (resized).jpgblue (resized).jpg

#200 7 years ago

I like Avatar - not Sterns best or biggest selling title.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 22.50
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 437 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-not-awesome-pat-lawlor-failed-us/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.