Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vacfink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#133 3 years ago

Thanks Ryan for the players and operators view. I took that back to the video and can see past some of my own negative perception, but still hold that aesthetically and as a concept its problematic. However those two things are what I hold highest, that wont' be the case for everyone.

I'm glad to see the innovation and glad to hear that the game design, as expected from JJ is innovative and well thought out. That said, it actually makes it more frustrating to me knowing there's something there worth paying attention too, but hard to look at due to its negatives.

I don't think the theme or art direction just doesn't meet the quality of the game and that's an unfortunate situation. I think JJP needed to have this hit on all cylinders. I think for most its probably a 6/8 for me its a 4/8 as my priorities are different.

Not everyone is going to be happy, so for the sake of pinball, lets hope enough are happy that we'll see more from JJP.

2 weeks later
#787 3 years ago

Buffalo Pinball posted their 3 hour twitch stream of game play and Jersey Jack explained a lot of the reasons for some of the negative points made in many of these posts. I will say after watching about 2 hours of it off and on, I can see the game is probably a lot of fun. Its fun in part because there is a clear story line and you become more engaged because of that story. I'll give them credit for taking that lesson well from the Hobbit.

I still hold that the kernel of that story is probably the games worst part. Given that this shows they could have integrated any story line well into the play characteristics and design, the theme and stylistic choices remain as negatives.

That said. I do see that a lot more people will forgive those faults or even embrace them over time.

I think that once people play and accept this game as it exists, instead of the game they imagined or hoped for, overall opinion will change. I think they will prove to sell well, and even if its corny expose new players to fun of pinball.

I'm glad they tried an unlicensed theme. It proves they aren't very good at creating stories that are compelling, but maybe that lesson will improve future games or turn them back to using their strongest skill sets onto tried and true licensed themes.

7 months later
#958 2 years ago

I can finally say I've played it at this weekends Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown. I have to admit it plays very well. Its very intuitive to interact with and IMO that is the mastery of the design and it ties in very well with the them and story. Its quite an impressive and smooth playing game and stayed busy with a decent line all day Saturday when I was there.

I still stand by my original comments about the art and theme, it unfortunate that a better story and art package doesn't compliment the game design. I'll add that I didn't hear any comments myself along those lines, and everyone seemed to respond positively. No doubt it will do well, IMO glad to have played it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vacfink.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside