Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 3 years ago

For those who played it: what's it like, exactly? I know it's an early code, but what's the "plot" of the game? I really like the idea of a Watchdogs-esque "eye in the sky" sims catastrophe-prevention theme (hooray, my predictions were nearly accurate), but we'll see what kind of character the game itself actually has.

That reveal was super kludgy, though. I was out of the house but I managed to tune in to the Periscope for a couple minutes just in time to hear Jack talking about a new type of cabinet with no boards, and then when I rewatched it later at home I couldn't figure out Pat's presentation at all. He kept hammering on the cell phone stuff when I really wanted to know about everything else. It'd be like revealing TZ and spending ten minutes talking about the gumball machine and then saying "oh yeah there's some Twilight Zone stuff in there too, but wow, dig that gumball machine!"

Hopefully there'll be a more polished promo video like what Heighway did for Alien that'll give us some more information on what everything in the game does. I'm guessing the drones drop mini-modes and gifts like the Wheel in Roadshow? The Einstein Cinema looks cool but all he said was it gives you hints or something. It seems ironic that this "pin of the future" is mostly a throwback to mid-2000s aesthetics.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think original themes can work. You have to be committed to them and continue to do them to build an audience. It's not gonna be a one time thing. The humor through all of the B/W original games is pretty consistent. You know what you're getting. Gottlieb's original themes of the 90s were pretty shallow and just seemed like knockoffs. Their 80s games seemed more like parodies but still shallower than what Williams was doing at the time.

What I'd like to see from original themes and licensed themes alike is more creativity and breadth in the writing. Pins have so much processing power now, imagine if Medieval Madness had fifty different princesses and a hundred different quips for each? You'd never hear the same thing twice (well, for the first few months), so every game would have a new surprise.

Slightly off-topic, but what is it with people over 40 going into paroxysms over the concept of selfies?

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

so it seems like anyone who's played it thinks it's great. Pinside knows better, though.

I saw everything I need to see from that shaky, blurry Periscope feed of an awkward presentation of an in-progress pin.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

Does anyone know what the difference is between the LE version and the Collector's Edition?

My husband'll put me on the couch for one, and a week for the other!

Quoted from kklank:

I'll try answer that since I'm over 40. I don't think it has anything to do with age.
Off topic, what's with people under 40 that use the term "paroxysms" generalizing that all people over 40 have issues with the term selfie?
Sorry I couldn't resist being sarcastic. Just joking. Don't get pissed.

Haha, it's just funny that it's something people seem to really strongly object to. I grew up right before cell phones became a thing and I still remember everyone taking photos of themselves on Polaroids and disposable cameras - maybe it's just because it has a name now, lol.

#158 3 years ago

I'm not really feeling the name either, but Quantum City is too bland, and neither really underlines the "hook".

#300 3 years ago

Looks better than Ghostbusters.

#378 3 years ago

Yay, details! I'm also curious about what exactly the player is doing in the game. Are you triggering disasters, or preventing them? I'm still not sure how the phone theme actually connects to the gameplay, it seems like you're playing as someone who has god-hand disaster apps on their phone (?). It'd be fun if you could choose to do bad things with it, and face push-back from the characters in the game.

#385 3 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Weird, I loved the old Addams Family show, loved the movies and absolutely loved the theme when the pin came out. And still love the theme better than almost any other pin.

How could anyone say no to that backglass art? That's one thing I don't love about the LCDs, I love those big, gorgeous pieces of art at the head of the playfield and the LCDs have yet to match.

I will say that I wish the actual design of what you see in the LCD in Dialed In matched the rest of the playfield, Quantum City itself is oddly bland and colorless, but maybe that's something that'll change as the code is developed and the theme is elaborated on.

#393 3 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Are we looking at the same machine? Not talking gameplay (though I do like GB), I think GB is one of the best looking pins out there. DI ... not so much. But hey, that's me.

Sorry, that was a lame joke. GB is definitely the best-looking modern Stern game, for sure - I wish the rest looked that good! I appreciate the vivid color schemes for both that and Dialed In, though I wish Dialed In had a warmer look.

#395 3 years ago

There's a lot that could be "dialed down" (heh), or offered as upgrades for the home buyer.

#425 3 years ago

What're some of the best features?

#489 3 years ago

I think it'll be really fun for casual players in casual environments, especially for the younger teens at places like Dave and Busters and Gameworks. It seems a little chipper for the barcade scene so I'm not sure about your 21-30 crowd (exposure-wise, at least) but we'll see. It's kind of funny what a vitriolic reaction everyone had to the cell phone, but I think if it doesn't have boobs, violence, or nostalgia then it's a gamble with this forum.

#512 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Donnie suggested if you tilt, it snaps your picture, and has a wall of shame rotate on display

Ahaha this would be great.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The wall of shame could be ranked by how much bonus you lost.
Unfortunately I can quickly see the photo feature being abused by trolls and forcing many operators to turn it off. Somebody is going to end up putting dick pix and racist slogans up just to be a jerk.

The game only takes photos of you while you're playing, and it specifically uses face-recognition to do that, right? I'd imagine it to be kind of hard to do either while playing. I'm sure some jerk will find a way, though even then I'd assume that hopefully operators would have a way to delete photos.

#516 3 years ago

I never imagined the day would come that a pinball machine might have to be programmed to visually recognize swastikas.

#544 3 years ago

Cute comic, sorta reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes. Still not sure what the phone does, though, I think that aspect could use some clarifying. IDK what I'd do with the power if I don't know what the power is!

1 week later
#660 3 years ago

The problem with "quantum" is that it's just a generic piece of technobabble. You might as well just say "tech city" or "future city". It should have the same narrative punch as a roller coaster name - I'd ride Earthshaker, but Quantum City sounds like something that was in Tomorrowland for about three years in the 90s.

1 week later
#796 3 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Two days after the initial presentation of Dialed In! at Pinball Expo 2016, Pinball Magazine sat down with game designer Pat Lawlor and talked to him for about an hour about his latest game. The entire interview is available as a free downloadable PDF magazine, which also includes a preview of the upcoming 4th issue of Pinball Magazine (available the last week of November 2016). http://www.pinball-magazine.com
Note: the PDF is intended to be viewed as a 2-page spread.

Cool! I always love Lawlor's enthusiasm in interviews. He makes me wanna play it.

5 months later
#939 2 years ago

Put in a top-score game on this at the Seattle Pinball Museum. Wow, it's great. Absolutely the best pin in recent memory, and definitely the first to really take me back to the 90s golden age pins. I can't get over how totally jam-packed it is, every inch of the playfield has something to shoot and the game really reacts to your shots. My main criticism is that it's sometimes hard to know exactly what to shoot for, so it'd be nice to see more pulsing lights, particularly in mode starts (it's also kind of hard to track your own progress - something in the middle of the playfield like the TAF Mansion would've been nice).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodstock, GA
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trunchbull.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside