Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

As someone in the "echo chamber" last night watching on Periscope and frantically hitting refresh on a sluggish Pinside, the game seemed like it was the disaster.
JJP was doing their boring victory lap and acceptance speech before they even took the cover off. The low res video stream was bobbing and weaving more than Ali and felt like an incredibly low resolution drunk VR simulator. None of the speakers seemed to be exciting the crowd based on the little applause we could hear. Droning on about a boring TV mount in the backbox seemed let the air out of the sails. Then they passed out a comic and pulled the cover off something that sounded dumb. It was too blurry to see the art for what looked like a lame Watchdogs (video game) meets Earthshaker mashup. Then they hit us with the price and it was down for the count. What did they want us to think?
The game might be great, the presentation for the people not in the room was not. They've obviously had finished games for awhile. Where was the polished launch video or an online gallery bigger than three oddly angled pictures.
I can't hate on Pinside for calling it like it was shown to the home viewer last night. That was on JJP.
I'm glad the game seems better than the presentation.

If I was Heighway at their seminar, I would pull a Sony Playstation like reveal. Show the game. Say the price. Drop the mic.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Air_Pinball:

Shut it down in a good way. Now, everybody is complaining about this.
Meanwhile, Batman continues to impress.

JJP's failure doesn't make B66's price any cheaper. It's still worth less than any JJP game and because of the price Alien is getting more traction in a lot of people's minds.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What was also interesting to observe was to see Gary Stern standing in the back of the room during the entire presentation. Once the reveal occurred, he exited stage left.

I'm sure he was worried. Stern's taking a chance on raising prices with B66 and the hype for JJP3 was real. I'm sure after he saw the title and theme there was no reason to stick around.

I wanted this to be a home run. So bad. The team could end up doing some adjustments and this could be a solid Lawlor "B" title like Roadshow or Safecracker but I was hoping for a standing ovation kind of reaction. It's not the end of the world but it's definitely a lost opportunity.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

realistically it's a bit suicidal to do an original theme... all these titles that manufacturers have been putting out have appeal outside pinball... which lets face it is a small community... opening yourself up to the communities of some of these themes gives you many more potential customers... an original theme only leaves pinball collectors and operators... and operators are not interested in original themes because they have much less appeal to the general public...

I think original themes can work. You have to be committed to them and continue to do them to build an audience. It's not gonna be a one time thing. The humor through all of the B/W original games is pretty consistent. You know what you're getting. Gottlieb's original themes of the 90s were pretty shallow and just seemed like knockoffs. Their 80s games seemed more like parodies but still shallower than what Williams was doing at the time.

Dialed In makes the fourth original theme in four years, America's Most Haunted, Whoa Nellie, and Full Throttle. There wasn't an original theme before that since CGC's 2003 Vacation America. Original themes are a long term investment. A company is gonna have to stick with them if they want it to become a part of their business.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I saw everything I need to see from that shaky, blurry Periscope feed of an awkward presentation of an in-progress pin.

That was a terrible reveal. They should have went into the next room, grabbed Jack Danger, had him put his playfield cams on the game and let Pat play and explain the game on Twitch at a high resolution. It was such a simple solution. They could still do it really. Expo isn't over and I'm sure Jack is still there and would love to do it.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I'm not really feeling the name either, but Quantum City is too bland, and neither really underlines the "hook".

Quantum City Disaster?

#217 3 years ago

The price conversation is interesting. A lot of people thinking they should offer it for $7k. I think that's pretty crazy and an overreaction to Stern's enormous pricing jump.

Right now on JJP's website Hobbit is $8k and WOZ is $8.5k. So they are asking $9k for Dialed In which is a price increase but nothing similar to Stern's price hike on B66. Stern's asking $8.6k for B66 Prem which is a $1000 price jump from GB Prem.

Dialed In could be cheaper but not much considering it only has a $500 added to their highest standard model.

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

How about a different art package that has a better name.

I would pay less for that.

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I have a negative opinion of Alien, but I have kept that to myself. Some people are floored by it. That's fine with me, I'm letting them have their fun in their thread without trying to tell them why I don't like it.

There is that one guy over in the Alien thread insinuating the game's broke but it's just not plugged. I love pinside.

#589 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I feel like Jack should have presented this game much better and explained the Dialed In theme and storyline better. Perhaps he could have had an animated trailer showing the comic story and ran that as an intro before revealing the machine. Especially for those of us who weren't at the Expo. A clean trailer or video explaining this original idea would do wonders for the game now and going forward.
I'm sure the theme is great and makes sense as you play the machine, but just like movies need a trailer, this game definitely does too.

Agreed. A stream is great for a reveal but it should be high quality. They should have had a playfield cam and let Pat play and explain. They also should have released the images and details on their site right before the reveal. That way for those of us watching online could have looked at pictures while they explained.

It's a lesson for the future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
7,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, TN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside