172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 7 years ago

I agree with original poster. I posted in this in another thread just a few minutes ago.

My comments:

- Jack and Pat took a lot of time up front to set up the concept with the audience. Even passing out a comic book that helped frame the storyline of the game. It was well thought out intro. They addressed taking a risk on an original theme versus a movie, tv show or rock band but felt it was worth the gamble.

- When revealed "Dialed In" you could feel the room enthusiasm deflate a bit. I'm not sure what title people were thinking, but it felt like there was a "ok" when it was announced. Being honest, I felt the same - but can't say what I was expecting. Time machine was in my head I guess. I wanted to play and experience it - but I guess I leaned toward theme more than I thought.

- The game has MANY elements (i.e. sounds, components, etc) from Pat's previous designs. I could hear Roadshow, see Crazy Bob's store, LCD graphic elements reminding me of RFM, etc. I felt like many "cookies" were incorporated into the game - and a JJP employee nearby confirmed that comment I shared with friends.

- The gameplay was enjoyable. It's a typical Lawlor game, not super flowy but it does flow. That right outline shot that goes up a wire form ramp was gratifying.

- The toys on the game were interesting. While the phone may look outdated in 3 years based on the speed which technology advances in the mobile industry it's well integrated. It informs where to shoot (where you can see it), mode starts initiate there then move to the main LCD, is colorful with changing LEDs to indicate different functions and even shows low battery life where you have to shoot targets to charge it again. The Einstein Theater is a mix between GB ecto-goggles and RFM/SWE1. In fact it's much better than GB in my opinion. It's not just to shoot and kill spiders and things. It also opens mystery boxes, delivers skill shot awards, etc. It's incorporated well once you spend time on it.

- Not sure if people are aware but there is a camera facing the player hidden in the backless bottom section. It serves a few functions. First, it takes pictures of the player and displays them like polaroids in the back glass during a multi ball accomplishment. Sounds corny but I find it brilliant. People waiting to play had a great laugh seeing your "pinball face" while playing. Secondly, when the Einstein theater displays a scratch off ticket and you hit it, you have a certain amount of time to scratch it off. Displayed on the top LCD once collected you have to waive your hand in front of the game (taking it off flipper buttons) to simulate scratching the card. Like it or dislike it - that's innovation we ask for in these forums.

- The sounds system really is well done. A fellow pinsider who was playing pointed out how the sound seem to be more directed at the player for a feeling of more immersion. When it was my turn, I couldn't agree more with his observation. The speakers seemed to be directed perfectly at the player.

- Pat himself pointed out to us during multi-ball how the alien ships fire at you. You have to hit the targets where it came from otherwise (as seen on play field inserts that light up) if the lights reach your flipper that flipper will sputter and not be responsive for a few minutes.

- The LCD integration again, is one of JJP's strengths and continues in this game. Explains and supports the storyline and modes well. Even in this early code state.

After a bit of deflation at the theme announcement, the gameplay was enjoyable. This is one of those games you really do have to play and be open minded towards. The game is full featured with many toys and we know JJP will deliver on the code. Still, the price point has me waiting on the sidelines. Need to play more and see how it matures in code.

We asked for an original theme - and got one. I'd suggest playing to form your own opinion before slamming it. It could surprise you.
(BTW...it was cool to see Pat so passionate about this game)

#99 7 years ago

What was also interesting to observe was to see Gary Stern standing in the back of the room during the entire presentation. Once the reveal occurred, he exited stage left.

It was fascinating trying to read his body language and facial expressions during the presentation. Reality TV right there.

Also comical, people were walking in eating pizza that Stern provided practically right outside the door (around the corner by bathrooms). Jack as he started his presentation said "We'll have pizza tomorrow - from Rosati's - for all of you to support our launch". This is why competition is good. Badbilly gets more free pizza.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider badbilly27.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it?tu=badbilly27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.