172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 20.
#351 7 years ago

Today, I discovered that if you hover close to the person playing, you can steal their selfies. I don't think it was programmed intentionally, but it's really fun to move your head around and taunt your friend while stealing all their glory.

#352 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get it, that's why i bought Woz for $6500 5 years ago.
It's whatever floats your boat. I'm happy for you and anybody else that gets it and loves it for whatever reason.
I acknowledge that I'm stupid for paying $9500 for a BM66LE but its just beyond belief that people can justify this pin for $9500 as a great deal because it has a lot of "stuff" in it.
Prices are a joke for both BM66 and this one. At least Stern isn't so arrogant to not offer up another version like the premium at a much lower price.
That is what annoys the F out of me with JJP, but maybe that's just me, I doubt it.

Jack said on the google group that a standard version will be made without the powder coat, invisiglass and shaker. A price has not been determined yet.

#353 7 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

I would guess that phone capabilities are a new JJP feature included with Pat Lawler's new pin that has nothing to do with phones besides it being a new JJP feature.
I have no knowledge of anything to do with leaks excect for all the GD pinside rumors.
P.S. * I am currently drunk.
Cheers
PCHOP

I was so wrong.
It looks like it will play great but I'll be hopefully playing it on route or someone's home. I'll begin my wait for JJP #4

Since the leaker was 100% accurate, I'll start to believe him.
JJP #4 Toy Story sounds great and I'm hoping that I'm blown away. See you at Expo 2018 Toy Story

#354 7 years ago

This is my first positive post for Dialed In. I like how PL setup Multi-Ball. Where the balls are locked and how they are released looks good. This Pin reminds me of Sunset Overdrive meets Watchdogs.

#355 7 years ago

I remember when pinball cost a nickel and Mary Lou Butterbangher came running into town to tell us all that 'ole Charlie Wilson 3 towns down was charging a shiny dime to play his new flipper skill game.

The moral of this story:
Charge $2 a play
Buy two so you cAnz maKes MoAr moNieS

#356 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I blow a lot myself.

Duly noted.

#357 7 years ago

Well, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about the game after seeing some positive comments come out from people who played it. I'm glad to hear it's better than what the initial impression was.

#358 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Jack said on the google group that a standard version will be made without the powder coat, invisiglass and shaker. A price has not been determined yet.

Just goes to show that JJP (and stern) are purely pricing these things on what they think people will pay.... not based on BOM, labor, and a set margin.

Thanks for going scorched earth on the community, Jack!

#359 7 years ago

Everyone seems to love the gameplay.

Too bad about the name. Change the name, tweak the art, and the game will be the monster hit it's supposed to be.

#360 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Everyone seems to love the gameplay.
Too bad about the name. Change the name, tweak the art, and the game will be the monster hit it's supposed to be.

Only thing that I see as really too bad are it appears the arm chair QBs are out in full force. The resounding vibe at the show is that DI is fantastic. I sure hope JJP is ignoring the likes of you. They have bottled lightning and it does not need any of the changes you suggest.

I always find it a bit odd and sad when people not at a concert are sitting at home critique the show they are not even at. This seems to be the same way. Without a doubt, this game is VERY well recieved at the show. There is zero doubt in my mind this is JJPs best game to date. Pat Lawlors best game to date, will sell Very well, and would do amazing on route also.

I am not sure what to say but this is really a case of some people should probably just stop typing till they play it and experience it for themselves. After three years of development if you consider yourself a pinhead, then you own it to yourself to just calm down and find a way to lay hands out it yourself.

Bye. Going back down to find a way tomsneak in to the vendor hall early so i can play some more DI. Seriously, could not sleep and woke up excited like a kid on xmas morn to go play with the new toy. I have not felt like this and pinball since playing TAF and TZ for the first time 20 years ago!

#361 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Only thing that I see as really too bad are it appears the arm chair QBs are out in full force. The resounding vibe at the show is that DI is fantastic. I sure hope JJP is ignoring the likes of you. They have bottled lightning and it does not need any of the changes you suggest.
I always find it a bit odd and sad when people not at a concert are sitting at home critique the show they are not even at. This seems to be the same way. Without a doubt, this game is VERY well recieved at the show. There is zero doubt in my mind this is JJPs best game to date. Pat Lawlors best game to date, will sell Very well, and would do amazing on route also.
I am not sure what to say but this is really a case of some people should probably just stop typing till they play it and experience it for themselves. After three years of development if you consider yourself a pinhead, then you own it to yourself to just calm down and find a way to lay hands out it yourself.
Bye. Going back down to find a way tomsneak in to the vendor hall early so i can play some more DI. Seriously, could not sleep and woke up excited like a kid on xmas morn to go play with the new toy. I have not felt like this and pinball since playing TAF and TZ for the first time 20 years ago!

Right behind you again, Hilton!

Since others have mentioned.

Wait and see about a Standard, with a lower
MSRP, and then our usual wheeling and dealing. We may be surprised to see the final cost of a Standard, being something to be happy about
Tossing away price for a moment, getting ready to line up and play all day!

What great fun this pin is!

#362 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Right behind you again, Hilton!
Since others have mentioned.
Wait and see about a Standard, with a lower
MSRP, and then our usual wheeling and dealing. We may be surprised to see the final cost of a Standard, being something to be happy about
Tossing away price for a moment, getting ready to line up and play all day!
What great fun this pin is!

Have FUN guys!

#363 7 years ago

Good game, blast to play and excited to uncover all the modes and little things within it! Theme as many have said is EH but then I think about other games I love where the theme is horrible(Congo, Shadow and so many more) and remember that any game can still be great with average theme. I hope it does well as they took the chance on unlicensed theme and hope that many more will follow with the same efforts.

#364 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's a freaking toy that costs $9500.00 shipped. I think that is just one source of the negativity that you complain about when it comes to this pin.

So true. If the game was $5million dollars each would people be allowed to complain that the price was too high? If so then there is reason to complain and we are just squabbling about price. The price is way too high for what you get. Period. And it pisses me off.

#365 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Good game, blast to play and excited to uncover all the modes and little things within it! Theme as many have said is EH but then I think about other games I love where the theme is horrible(Congo, Shadow and so many more) and remember that any game can still be great with average theme. I hope it does well as they took the chance on unlicensed theme and hope that many more will follow with the same efforts.

Yes, RBION, Congo, TS all have bad themes. But they are punished for it. They don't sell for what LotR (RBION), TS/Congo (TAF/CFTBL) games of similar quality but better themes.

I am not saying DI is a bad pin but that to be a $9K pin it needs to have a great theme (or at least not a theme about a cellphone).

#366 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Looks better than Ghostbusters.

Plays better then ghostbusters for sure

#367 7 years ago

I suppose CFTBL could have been called 'Drive In Movie' I wonder how big a deal it is, but for sure CFTBL is a much better name for that pin.

I don't care so much about the name it's more about the focus on the phone, it's the center of the PF, the main toy, the side cab art. Plus ringing all the time and having to charge the phone. It's really a pin that is cell phone centric.

#368 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

I was at the reveal. It seemed poorly prepared and executed and the audience's reaction that night and on this thread reflects that. In front of tough crowd of pre-determined fanboys or haters you need a well polished presentation.

I've since played the game and I'm neutral overall and definitely not interested in buying.

It has a lot of nice features (like the aforementioned magnets) but mobile phone theme is awful. I'm playing a game and don't want to be bothered with my phone (in game) ringing and listing an unknown number (an actual feature).

Here, DI has a theme that is partially hated ("what's popular with the kids today? Selfies, mobiles, drones, blue-tooth self lacing shoes!") and plays well - but the theme is a draw back.

Themes matter. SMVE was controversial (and punished here on the board for its looks) for cosmetic changes to a machine with the exact same gameplay. [I'm an owner of SMVE]

The pricing ($9k) is hard to swallow for a NIB machine, especially when competing with a $5k "pro" model NIB. Even $5k is embarrassing when a non-pinhead asks how much they cost.

I don't get $4k more in satisfaction from an LCD screen (vs. dots) since I'm watching the playfield during play. I don't need my StarTAC to interact with the game-- I'm playing the game to escape from the real world annoyances. I don't need a selfie because I'm ugly and don't want to look at myself. The DI glass helps reduce the glare but dimming the lights to see a "pro" better can buy me a whole bunch of extra electricity for $4k. The game appears to be fairly deep but not $4k more deep. At +$4k I'm more than halfway to having another "inferior", fun game.

DI is a case where giving a designer free reign didn't work out as expected. Jonathan Ive had/has and overlord and produced great products. "The Homer" or "The Car Built for Homer" was an extreme example of a failed, free-reign, design.

In the future collaboration on a unlicensed theme might be a better route.

I applaud the effort of the unlicensed theme. I hope more follow. Competition is good, it forces innovation.

#369 7 years ago

I learned something new today: where the 'ignore user' function is found.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game. But first I still have a lot of pages of all sorts of expo-news to read and video's and pictures to see. Fortunately it's weekend right now

#370 7 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

I don't need a selfie because I'm ugly and don't want to look at myself.

The most honest post in the thread.

#371 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Where I don't see any post about that on rgp

#372 7 years ago

I was able to play this and I made it through everything currently in the code. A JJP guy standing there confirmed that for me. After that the only thing I could do was start multiballs. Sorry to everyone that was waiting in line behind me.

Currently the game has:

5-6 disaster modes. There will eventually be 11 total. You start these modes by powering the cell phone, either by hitting the robot on a stick toy or hitting the cell phone scoop (this takes a lot longer.)

1 multiball. After you have played 1 disaster mode you have to shoot each ramp once and then the side ramp is lit for a ball lock. After you lock one ball you can either start a 2 ball multiball at the cell phone scoop, or keep locking additional balls at the side ramp for a bigger multiball. During multiball two different shots (the theater or the target in the pop bumper area) start attacking you. If they make it to you your flippers go weak for a while. Not long enough to really mess you up, at least in this code. If you use your real cell phone to connect to the game you can change the weather which makes your multiball easier.

The three bob targets on the left light crazy bob modes which is where the selfie frenzy thing starts. This also lights the kickback.

The drone area has some crazy magnet action but the drones themselves don't appear to do much.

There is only 1 skill shot right now, but there are inserts for a bunch.

The game will have two wizard modes. The easier one is lit by just starting all 11 disaster modes. The harder one requires you to complete modes. Each time you complete a mode you light the sim chip insert which is the scoop shot only available from either the upper flipper or a lucky drone magnet hit. Each time you collect a sim chip you light 1 letter in "Dialed In". Collect all 8 for the uber wizard mode. You basically can mess up on 3 modes and still hit the uber wizard mode.

The shots are fun and flow well into each other nicely, especially criss-crossing the ramps and then nailing the side ramp.

The art isn't good. The center of the playfield just do anything for me. If it were me I'd put the focus more on the city and the disasters happening around it than the weird generic guy with the phone.

The real life phone connection is gimmicky and will get old fast.

The look of the sculpted toys doesn't hold up to Stern's custom toys as of late.

#373 7 years ago

1) Change the name to actually reflect the theme "Disaster City" (Quantum City also tells you nothing)
2) Improve the voices
3) Win sauce.

It's a great game!

#374 7 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

Where I don't see any post about that on rgp

Sorry for not being clear. The WOZ owners google group.

#375 7 years ago

What is a disaster mode? Something like giant spiders attack? Or invasion from space? Or earthquake? And what is the objective... As in are you trying to wreck havok, or save the city?

#376 7 years ago

It could be the most amazing game ever, but at the end of the day it is a pinball machine. To stand there and say this one is 9k or 12.5k is the issue I have. Same goes for Stern and its little Batman retheme.

These companies want collectors to feel like they are friends of pinball, while they are pricing to suck all the money they can. They certainly aren't helping matters for people who are looking to operate a pin.

Then to hear that a price point in a cheaper version is being floated around?

I'm having a really hard time looking past the money grab and the massive increase in prices in just a year and a half.

#377 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

What is a disaster mode? Something like giant spiders attack? Or invasion from space? Or earthquake? And what is the objective... As in are you trying to wreck havok, or save the city?

Disaster modes are the things you see on the cell phone where you call a character and he/she tells you what to shoot for.

One is a roving shot where aliens are attacking - a Doc Brown looking scientist is on the phone.
One is a stand up target shot where meteors are striking - a drill sergeant looking guy is on the phone.
One is a mode where you have to hit the pops - i think this one might be a 70s looking dark skinned woman.

Your objective is to attack every part of the city, which I guess is being run by the evil corporation?

The voices on the cell phone modes were cheesy. They also didn't always sync with the facial animations very well.

#378 7 years ago

Yay, details! I'm also curious about what exactly the player is doing in the game. Are you triggering disasters, or preventing them? I'm still not sure how the phone theme actually connects to the gameplay, it seems like you're playing as someone who has god-hand disaster apps on their phone (?). It'd be fun if you could choose to do bad things with it, and face push-back from the characters in the game.

#379 7 years ago

I think that the prices alone are responsible for all the negative comments. People cant afford it and get all bent out of shape. Now if this had been a 6k game I don't think you would have heard as many complaints about it.

#380 7 years ago

I just played the game using a cell phone. Flipper buttons, ball launch and a "big bang" button. Flippers were super smooth, no lag at all. I was live catching and post passing without touching the machine.

Of course I wouldn't really want to play the whole game like that (hard to nudge!) But if there's a mode or something, would be really fun.

IMAG1721 (resized).jpgIMAG1721 (resized).jpg

#381 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I just played the game using a cell phone. Flipper buttons, ball launch and a "big bang" button. Flippers were super smooth, no lag at all. I was live catching and post passing without touching the machine.
Of course I wouldn't really want to play the whole game like that (hard to nudge!) But if there's a mode or something, would be really fun.

It would be awesome if you are playing with a couple friends who are linked to the game, and if they hit a shot that they are supposed to avoid, it allows a "security breach" or "firewall disabled" mode for X amount of seconds, and your friends can "hack" the game for a specific amount of time and mess with you. That would be awesome, allowing other players to look for cues on the big LCD and get the opportunity to play and effect the game while standing and watching their friends play.

Maybe even something like "Player 2 hack opportunity" and there is a mini game on their phone that pops up, and they need to quickly complete it to breach security and then allow a random player to screw with the machine.

#382 7 years ago

Question for anyone who has played this game:

Are there any Easter eggs that pay homage to older Lawlor games? Especially with Youssi artwork, there's gotta be something in there.

I know software is probably in beta, but I feel like they had to have squeezed something in.

#383 7 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Pat's had other games that have had mediocre themes, but amazing gameplay. Namely TAF. That game sold pretty well. I'm not saying JJP will sell DI in those kind of numbers, but once people play it, it'll probably do just fine.
As much as I've been into pinball over the last few decades, when TAF came out, I didn't walk up to it and drop a quarter in it because I loved the movie so much. In fact, I never saw the movie until many years later, on broadcast TV, no less. It was the gameplay that drew me in.

Weird, I loved the old Addams Family show, loved the movies and absolutely loved the theme when the pin came out. And still love the theme better than almost any other pin.

#384 7 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

I think that the prices alone are responsible for all the negative comments. People cant afford it and get all bent out of shape. Now if this had been a 6k game I don't think you would have heard as many complaints about it.

I think the innovations like it taking your picture and some of the play being via cellphone are a bit too much for a lot of pinheads to handle at first glance and might be part of the negative reaction. Like with all pins, I withhold judgement until I play them. I haven't liked the theme on half of the new Sterns, but some of them are great players. And I actually don't see anything wrong in this theme, it looks like it is funny and a more immersive game than most new pins.

#385 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Weird, I loved the old Addams Family show, loved the movies and absolutely loved the theme when the pin came out. And still love the theme better than almost any other pin.

How could anyone say no to that backglass art? That's one thing I don't love about the LCDs, I love those big, gorgeous pieces of art at the head of the playfield and the LCDs have yet to match.

I will say that I wish the actual design of what you see in the LCD in Dialed In matched the rest of the playfield, Quantum City itself is oddly bland and colorless, but maybe that's something that'll change as the code is developed and the theme is elaborated on.

#386 7 years ago

Many of us just have zero interest in playing "real" pinball with our phones.

#387 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It would be awesome if you are playing with a couple friends who are linked to the game, and if they hit a shot that they are supposed to avoid, it allows a "security breach" or "firewall disabled" mode for X amount of seconds, and your friends can "hack" the game for a specific amount of time and mess with you. That would be awesome, allowing other players to look for cues on the big LCD and get the opportunity to play and effect the game while standing and watching their friends play.
Maybe even something like "Player 2 hack opportunity" and there is a mini game on their phone that pops up, and they need to quickly complete it to breach security and then allow a random player to screw with the machine.

Right on, this is a great idea. This is exactly what the game designers need to make the bluetooth option more attractive. This could make the game more competitive / fun, especially on location.

#388 7 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Many of us just have zero interest in playing "real" pinball with our phones.

Oh me too, it's a neat gimmick, but there is no way I want to stop mid game, pick up my phone, and play with that instead of real flipper buttons. I'm guessing you aren't forced to though, that it's more of a gimmick to draw in new players... if that's the case, I think it will work and appeal to a younger audience of new and more casual players. I employ a bunch of college kids, they spend an insane amount of time glued to their phones, I can see this gimmick as an attempt to lure some of them into playing pinball.

Personally I like innovation in pinball, even if it doesn't always hit the mark or isn't something I care about, because I know it appeals to others. When Dutch Pinball put in the WiFi connection in the Bride 2.0 kit I have I was like "Why haven't all manufacturers been doing this?" Golden Tees and Big Buck Hunters out in bars you log into and pull up all your scores and trophies and you can compete on things via their internet connection, having pinball do something similar and tracking your scores like Bride 2.0 does is totally cool and opens the door for more innovation and game play aspects.

#389 7 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Yep, I was never into Addams myself but it was a huge hit in 1991 and a very popular series before that. I don't know anyone (apart from myself) who doesn't love the theme and especially the iconic music.

#390 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That sounds fun as hell. Fwiw, they did say in a 4 player game, each player would sync their own phone on ball one and the game would swap connections as the ball starts.

#391 7 years ago

My 2cents: I only watched the video of a game being played . So I haven't played it yet.

Game is pretty, nice light show , color changing LED always makes it cooler/ prettier to play., bright colors, nice open pf that I love . I love Lawlor games , would love to have this one from what I see so far . Lot of my collection is Lawlor .
I have read most of this thread, lots of haters here, don't understand the hate, we need to support the smaller pinball manufacturers to keep Stern in check with pricing.
About the Complaints:
The bell on my Taxi is sometimes annoying, but it's part of the game, I leave it turned on , so what? The soundtrack on my RS is annoying, don't really love the theme, but game plays great, had it for 15 years. I look at the positives vs the negatives, and love it for what it's good at.
Cost: I never regret paying more for something of better quality, but have regretted settling for something less expensive because I didn't buy what I really wanted due to price difference. It's an expensive hobby ,yes, but less than airplanes and boats , and you can play pinball on a rainy stormy day... The other two hobbies not so much
JP

#392 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Looks better than Ghostbusters.

Are we looking at the same machine? Not talking gameplay (though I do like GB), I think GB is one of the best looking pins out there. DI ... not so much. But hey, that's me.

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

Are we looking at the same machine? Not talking gameplay (though I do like GB), I think GB is one of the best looking pins out there. DI ... not so much. But hey, that's me.

Sorry, that was a lame joke. GB is definitely the best-looking modern Stern game, for sure - I wish the rest looked that good! I appreciate the vivid color schemes for both that and Dialed In, though I wish Dialed In had a warmer look.

#394 7 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Ok What's true is if 10,000 units were sold, this could be sold at $6995.
This is valid, and an opinion shared by decent conversation.
What my hope is, for the home user, is to remove the selfie camera, blue tooth, shaker, invisiglass, plastics, or to make those all a la carte, and get a Standard game out as low as possible, to watch this game take off.
In its form here, the extras work when group play.
But it has an insane amount of potential.
Say you add on later blue tooth.
Whysnow and I both have the game. We could theoretically play each other, couldn't We?

We are just scratching the surface of this vision.

Yes, for many the theme, flow, play won't work.
No problem.
Loved the respectful negative post.

#395 7 years ago

There's a lot that could be "dialed down" (heh), or offered as upgrades for the home buyer.

#396 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

But it has an insane amount of potential.
Say you add on later blue tooth.
Whysnow and I both have the game. We could theoretically play each other, couldn't We?
We are just scratching the surface of this vision.

Class 1 Bluetooth has a range of 100 metres. So, I guess if you lived within 100 metres of each other.

Does the game have WiFi enabled?

#397 7 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Question for anyone who has played this game:
Are there any Easter eggs that pay homage to older Lawlor games? Especially with Youssi artwork, there's gotta be something in there.
I know software is probably in beta, but I feel like they had to have squeezed something in.

The "button" is on the back glass.

#398 7 years ago

My apologies, WiFi needed....sorry..typing and eating a maple mustard pretzel pork chop and coopers hawk....good excuse

#399 7 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

If you use your real cell phone to connect to the game you can change the weather which makes your multiball easier.

The real life phone connection is gimmicky and will get old fast.

I look forward to exploring the possibilities this interface allows. Has anyone run Blue Auditor or btCrawler to see what it has to offer?

#400 7 years ago

I am starting to get the impression that many of the guys here complaining about price are the same ones who buy NIB LE models and then post them on Ebay for a profit after LE are sold out.

9k is too much, but I will post my Metallica LE on ebay for 14k

Relax, if they don't sell they will cut corners and prices.

Pretty sure the Batman SLE all sold sight unseen and Stern makes you hang on to them. If there is big money to be made, it is only fair that the manufacturers make it. If you can't swallow that just stick to the classics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Raleigh, NC
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Lighting - Led
Lermods

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it/page/8?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.