Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

How come everyone seems ok (not happy of course)with basically a 9500 batman remake but yet dialed in at 9k with tons more innovation and gameplay features than any stern ever is to much? Not to mention much better quality and u get invisaglass , shaker, 27in tv, powdercoat and external volume, 5 speakers with 2.1 stereo and much more?

Yup. Batman 66 at $9k ($10k for an LE) seems like an absolute rip off compared to Dialed In with what the game offers.

Batman 66 looks like such a stripped down and basic game when viewing it next to Dialed In.

#202 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

How come everyone seems ok (not happy of course)with basically a 9500 batman remake but yet dialed in at 9k with tons more innovation and gameplay features than any stern ever is to much? Not to mention much better quality and u get invisaglass , shaker, 27in tv, powdercoat and external volume, 5 speakers with 2.1 stereo and much more?

I'm not happy with BM66. I said it looks great and the art really seems to fit. BDK is a suck game and the crane is stupid. BM66 with be made with cheap s--t parts including thin metal, crappy wood with ghosting inserts and have barely the features of the Costco BDK. The code will not be close to being done when released and the price is insane.

Dialed In is a suck theme but seems to be a good player from what we are seeing. Like BM66, the price is insane.

Neither Stern nor JJP deserve the $9k+ for either of these games IMHO. Neither the Stern nor JJP camp have anything to brag about after this expo. Let's just they go back to their respective camps and figure out a way to sell more games.

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

How come everyone seems ok (not happy of course)with basically a 9500 batman remake but yet dialed in at 9k with tons more innovation and gameplay features than any stern ever is to much

I think the cost for both is absurd, but time and time again you hear about the cost to acquire a particular license for a title playing into the cost. I have zero idea what the cost of acquiring the Batman License was, but I have a really good idea what it cost to license Dialed In. An unlicensed theme should start out of the gate lower than a licensed theme, and then work from there.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yup. Batman 66 at $9k ($10k for an LE) seems like an absolute rip off compared to Dialed In with what the game offers.
Batman 66 looks like such a stripped down and basic game compared to Dialed In.

I've reached the conclusion that I just don't want a $9,000+ pinball machine -- Don't care who makes it, how fun it may be, or how well it's built. I know, just my personal breaking point - but I can't be alone.

#205 3 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

I've reached the conclusion that I just don't want a $9,000+ pinball machine -- Don't care who makes it, how fun it may be, or how well it's built. I know, just my personal breaking point - but I can't be alone.

Same, at some point enough is enough. JJP's whole "Dialed In Collectors Edition" spiel is in response to Sterns Super LE version of Batman...Both companies are ridiculous to offer a higher end version then an LE model and the entire Super LE / Collectors Edition concept is just a cash grab.

Even more people will be priced out of the market with Dialed In, Batman 66 and future games.

#206 3 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

You are not alone one bit.

bubble (resized).jpg

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Both companies are ridiculous to offer a higher end version then an LE model and the entire Super LE / Collectors Edition concept is just a cash grab

Are they ridiculous? If they have buyers, doesn't that just make them smart?

Only one way for any of this to actually be ridiculous, and that is for them to keep pricing games into the stratosphere, only to have no one buy them.

#208 3 years ago

I wish they would have stayed away from the kiddie cell phone theme and picked a little more of an adult one. You know, maybe one where the character is a detective, but he dresses up in a bat costume, and there's these real mature sound effect bubbles floating around all over. Maybe there could be some cool gadgets in there that don't really make sense as well. What about if he fights some bad guys who are clowns, cats, penguins or obsessed with riddles. Yeah, that's it. Something an adult would proudly showcase in their home!

#209 3 years ago

Why is the title and art so focused on a cell phone? To me, it seems like that's a small part of the game.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Where do you buy your cars from?!?

New cars are terrible investments just like new pinball machines.

I buy used cars because in Virginia you get taxed every single freakin year on the high retail Blue Book value of your car. That said $9k can get you into some decent rides. Just depends on your comfort level I guess.

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Are they ridiculous? If they have buyers, doesn't that just make them smart?

That's a good point. It reminds me of a Bill Burr bit where he denies the idea that McDonalds makes people fat. He jokes and says "McDonalds isn't responsible for you being fat. If you order 50 burgers, they're going to sell them to you. It's a business."

If people are buying the "Super LEs" and the "Collector's Edition", then why not make them and sell them to those buyers? The money does all the talking in this situation, and Stern and JJP are happy to sell to those buyers.

Now, if their sales takes a hit, they may have to step back and reevaluate. But for now, money talks and it has been talking these past few years. It will be very interesting to see what happens in the coming years. So far the consensus is that the prices are too high, so maybe we can expect a lower price on games being released in the future...? I don't know, we will just have to wait and see.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

No one is ok maybe Iceman but 99.9 people say TDKVE is way too expensive

#213 3 years ago

I really wish JJP had done Batman instead of Stern and instead of Dialed in

#214 3 years ago

I have to say that I am guilty of judging by still pictures and "theme" based conversation. Watching the video of the gameplay made me want to play this game. It is noticeably faster than any recent game as far as flow. I liked the inclusion of the phone as a toy and how it works as part of the game. It may not be the theme that first comes to mind but this seems like a Lawlor realized world like his older games.

The price is just too high. Maybe someday on the resale market.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

That's actually a great idea. They should absolutely do this tonight.
Edit: Wait, I think Jack Danger is already busy doing stuff for Stern this event though. But getting a reveal through a nice Twitch setup is a great future plan still. Maybe they can get Buffalo Pinball to do it in later years.

Already announced, Buffalo Pinball will be doing their stream at JJP on October 22.

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

I have to say that I am guilty of judging by still pictures and "theme" based conversation. Watching the video of the gameplay made me want to play this game.

Me too. Once I settled down and didn't get all worked up on the title/name it looks very interesting and yes Lawlor looking. I think this pin really does have a good chance to grow on people. But I think 9K is my limit as well.

#217 3 years ago

The price conversation is interesting. A lot of people thinking they should offer it for $7k. I think that's pretty crazy and an overreaction to Stern's enormous pricing jump.

Right now on JJP's website Hobbit is $8k and WOZ is $8.5k. So they are asking $9k for Dialed In which is a price increase but nothing similar to Stern's price hike on B66. Stern's asking $8.6k for B66 Prem which is a $1000 price jump from GB Prem.

Dialed In could be cheaper but not much considering it only has a $500 added to their highest standard model.

#219 3 years ago

I own both jjps and each time it was difficult to send the check. Woz was my grail game. Love it and opted to "spoil myself" a little and get the RR for 9k. Bought hobbit for 8k and as much as my family and friends LOVE both machines, I still sweat thinking how much I've investment into these machines. I remember sweating over a $4800 metallica and a $5900 acdc premium. This dialed in and batman thing is ridiculous. I'm perfectly fine with them offering these "super le" models, but not at the expense of not offering the lower price pro models at reasonable affordable prices.
Dialed in was a let down at first to me as well, but after watching gameplay and hearing mostly all good gameplay reviews, it's definitely worth looking at first. I won't be buying one as at these prices a game HAS to be a must have like star wars. Geeze, if stern wants this for an old batman, what are they going to think star wars is worth? Either way, I hope jjp3 is a fun game that sells good enough, but I'm no longer paying these prices.

#220 3 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

Edit: Wait, I think Jack Danger is already busy doing stuff for Stern this event though. But getting a reveal through a nice Twitch setup is a great future plan still. Maybe they can get Buffalo Pinball to do it in later years.

dialedin (resized).jpg

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Why is the title and art so focused on a cell phone? To me, it seems like that's a small part of the game.

There is a big friggin' phone in the play field.

#222 3 years ago

I think the game well play really well i just still don't like the name.

#223 3 years ago

So after playing Dialed In last night I posted in another thread how it was fun, but I would never pay 9K for it.
After going back and playing it again this morning, I came up with a few more thoughts:
1. The game is really, really fun to play. Really thought it had a ton of cool toys and effects that made it fun.
2. Unfortunately the construction worker who moves around in front of the theater will lead to a lot of drains-happened to me twice 3 balls. It's totally possible I just need to play better though.
3. For those who haven't played it yet, I don't think ripping on it because of its price or theme is warranted, mainly because I don't like the name/theme at all and even though I think the price is outrageous, I find myself wanting to keep playing it.
For those reasons I, keeping an open mind about getting one. I thought both of JJP's first 2 games were beautiful to look, and had deep rule sets, but weren't that enjoyable to me because I felt like they played slow(and that's just my opinion-if you love them, great). This game plays fast.

My 2 cents...

#224 3 years ago

This is not the first Bluetooth enabled pin. If you watched Ben Heck's videos about creating AMH you would know it was ready with the mounting of one chip. For complete control and diagnostics. When I wrote (or called, I forget) they checked and said "Yup talked to Ben. For $25 they will put the chip in on your game".

#225 3 years ago

My initial reaction after watching the live stream of the reveal was that I became mentally and physically sick. After seeing the gameplay video over and over, I think I am warming up to this game. If Jack can do 2 things, change the name (easy) and do something about that annoying cellphone (also easy), I think this game may actually be a hit and much better than Batman 66. I'm actually interested in getting one.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Exactly.. I simply don't give a flying f**k what the machine is, theme, or even if a rubber mouth comes out and blows me after getting a grand champ score, $9K is too much for a pinball machine. At that price point I feel I am just getting bent over. No way is any pinball machine worth $9K just because some investors and partners want to make back their investment in the thing. I'm not paying a premium for that.

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

My initial reaction after watching the live stream of the reveal was that I became mentally and physically sick. After seeing the gameplay video over and over, I think I am warming up to this game. If Jack can do 2 things, change the name (easy) and do something about that annoying cellphone (also easy), I think this game may actually be a hit and much better than Batman 66. I'm actually interested in getting one.

It does look like a cool game. It will be especially cool when I buy it down the road from someone else once the code is complete and they sell it for $7K or less, because pins at this price will depreciate rapidly.

#228 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

It will be especially cool when I buy it down the road from someone else once the code is complete and they sell it for $7K or less, because pins at this price will depreciate rapidly.

That all depends on someone buying it for $9K first ...

#229 3 years ago

Caution!
Conspiracy Theory Below:

I really have a problem with them calling it an LE, with the potential of 6900 pins being made. But they needed to to justify the price increase. Why not just say, "We have increased the quality of our standards past our old LE levels and the prices will reflect this. True LE's will also be available." Unless the standard is still on the way, the same way stern likes to sneak the premium in after sales slow. My gut tells me a standard is in the not too distant future. 3 table options, and the LE folks won't feel stepped on like they did with WOZ and the Ruby Red edition.
Case Closed.

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

My gut tells me a standard is in the not too distant future.

Yup, when they sell 385 LE's and 32 CE's ... Here's the standard version! $7999

#231 3 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

You are not alone. Game over.

#232 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Caution!
Conspiracy Theory Below:
I really have a problem with them calling it an LE, with the potential of 6900 pins being made. But they needed to to justify the price increase. Why not just say, "We have increased the quality of our standards past our old LE levels and the prices will reflect this. True LE's will also be available." Unless the standard is still on the way, the same way stern likes to sneak the premium in after sales slow. My gut tells me a standard is in the not too distant future. 3 table options, and the LE folks won't feel stepped on like they did with WOZ and the Ruby Red edition.
Case Closed.

Stupid beyond belief. Even when they blew up TH to 1500 they knew better to call it a "Special Edition" SE

Razor is right, maybe JJP really means LE stands for "Latest Edition" because we all know they will milk whatever they can bilk out of it later.

#233 3 years ago

Ryan's review and seeing that video of game play has convinced me that this could be JJP's best playing game to date. I would never buy one NIB but I look forward to playing it at a show or PAPA, etc. I think it very odd that JJP has waited until their third release to put out a standard width game instead of a widebody. Seems a bit backasswards. All in all, the theme is very secondary to me. It's all about the game play.

#234 3 years ago

It also has less square footage than TH or WOZ...maybe someone could calculate the per sq ft cost like a condo.

#235 3 years ago

So how long until JJP offers a standard version? And what would be removed? Invisiglass? What else?

#236 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

So how long until JJP offers a standard version? And what would be removed? Invisiglass? What else?

Shaker
Cell Phone
Invisiglass
Decals instead of clearcoated cabinet
No swing out monitor
Lesser speakers
How about a different art package that has a better name.

#237 3 years ago

Much panning of the theme and price here. Hopefully JJP contemplates and announces if/what/when they intend to change with the game based on feedback. I like the idea of retheming it and am fine with most suggestions above. And the price point seems high for early adapters, especially as game is still developing in all regards. Standards would likely sell if priced less than $6,999 and LE's if less than $9,999. And drop the CE - it looks silly. Unlimited standards and 2,500 LE's.

#238 3 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Agreed. I'd feel like an a-hole for spending that much on one pin. I'm comfortable in the $3000-$5000 range. I can occasionally (barely) justify $6000-$7000 for something really special. At $8k-$10k+ I'm out.

#239 3 years ago

Maybe it is the sudden and drastic price jumps of late, but ... this aggression will not stand, man!

#240 3 years ago

One word after playing a bunch......

Phenomenal!

#241 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverballNut:

How about a different art package that has a better name.

I would pay less for that.

#242 3 years ago

All these companies should offer a standard or pro edition and perhaps those of us with limited pinball funds could buy em. I guess it has always been a rich mans hobby though.

#243 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

One word after playing a bunch......
Phenomenal!

Thanks, more reviews and video from people who have played it would be great. Maybe we could keep the talk about price, name and theme to one of the other 50 threads?

#244 3 years ago

I'm not one of the kool-aid drinkers. Just played two games of "Phoned In"....sound is brutally bad combined with backbox tweeters makes it terrible. Game has some great shots, theater is cool, but the game is WAY to easy, long ball times. Really cool layout and shots, but The annoying cell phone voices, handy Manny stick figure, the girl with a wrench toy......yuck. I heard someone say, -It's like RCT and Roadshow fucked and had a Simcity baby-......that's about right.

#245 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I have 0 desire to do that

Funny thing, if I am at work and have some free time, it would be totally Awesome to use my cell phone to play a few games on the game sitting in my basement. Much better than working, but the game had better be bullet-proofed.

#246 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Exactly.. I simply don't give a flying f**k what the machine is, theme, or even if a rubber mouth comes out and blows me after getting a grand champ score, $9K is too much for a pinball machine. At that price point I feel I am just getting bent over. No way is any pinball machine worth $9K just because some investors and partners want to make back their investment in the thing. I'm not paying a premium for that.

Your hard line on pricing seems odd in light of the McLaren in your garage. How does your thought process compare between pinball and other expensive toys?

#247 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Funny thing, if I am at work and have some free time, it would be totally Awesome to use my cell phone to play a few games on the game sitting in my basement. Much better than working, but the game had better be bullet-proofed.

Uh, I could be wrong here...but I don't think it works like that.

1. Bluetooth connectivity (proximity based wireless protocol)
2. Phone 'control' only available in multi ball - not all the time.

#248 3 years ago

I agree, game feels and plays just right A

#249 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Uh, I could be wrong here...but I don't think it works like that.
1. Bluetooth connectivity (proximity based wireless protocol)
2. Only available in multi ball - not all the time.

but you agree that it would be Awesome? If there is some part-time connectivity now, it seems they could have a full-time reliable option too. No sense taking something to the 1-yard line and settling for a field goal on 4th down. I say figure out how to get the juices flowing and then give me something to do at work. If I travel for work, by mid week I miss my wife AND my machines. I could remotely power the game. After a brief bootup, I'd start my first game. - Cool. Does it do any of that? Because that would make me excited as hell.

#250 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

and then give me something to do at work.

I use pinside for that

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9,000.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside