Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 20.
#101 3 years ago

I don't know if the game is good or bad but I don't understand at all the motivation behind the secrecy leading up to the big reveal. Sure, there's lots of buzz right now but there would already have been months of buzz if they updated people all along through the creation process.... Like with Predator (ok, bad situation but the long term buzz marketing was sound).

If its not a secret they could be getting feedback along the way and make changes. With the big reveal you live with it, no matter what.

#102 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Terrible theme, i don't care how awesome it plays.
Too many other GREAT options to buy.
Reminder, ding, ding, ding
Woz was $6500
TH was $7500
Dialed in is $9000 >>>> Game over

Can't agree with this more. The theme is absolutely dreadful. Why couldn't we of gotten a cool 3rd part to es and ww? Ugh!

And that price is just toilet.

#103 3 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Also, judging by your description of what it does, the game is going to make crazy money at busy locations.

as an operator I assure you, no, it won't, general public plays games because of the title not because of the game sadly

#104 3 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Sorry but that just looks ridiculous and not fun. A gimmick, unfortunately one that takes a lot of BOM and software (adding to cost)

I seriously suggest that you play the game before you pass judgment. The phone is only one piece of the game and it in itself is a great part. The magnets all over the place field are phenomenal, the shots are satisfying.

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I seriously suggest that you play the game before you pass judgment. The phone is only one piece of the game and it in itself is a great part. The magnets all over the place field are phenomenal, the shots are satisfying.

But the dudes talking about thevery general public. I can see his point. People will walk by this who don't give a damn. But, if it's a theme they may know of, they could plop some quarters in. People, unfortunately, do judge.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

What was also interesting to observe was to see Gary Stern standing in the back of the room during the entire presentation. Once the reveal occurred, he exited stage left.

I'm sure he was worried. Stern's taking a chance on raising prices with B66 and the hype for JJP3 was real. I'm sure after he saw the title and theme there was no reason to stick around.

I wanted this to be a home run. So bad. The team could end up doing some adjustments and this could be a solid Lawlor "B" title like Roadshow or Safecracker but I was hoping for a standing ovation kind of reaction. It's not the end of the world but it's definitely a lost opportunity.

#107 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I seriously suggest that you play the game before you pass judgment.

Have you forgotten who you are talking to? Don't waste your breath and go back to playing more!

After seeing more videos of game play I think it looks fantastic. Really hoping one ends up on route near me.

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm sure he was worried. Stern's taking a chance on raising prices with B66 and the hype for JJP3 was real. I'm sure after he saw the title and theme there was no reason to stick around.
I wanted this to be a home run. So bad. The team could end up doing some adjustments and this could be a solid Lawlor "B" title like Roadshow or Safecracker but I was hoping for a standing ovation kind of reaction. It's not the end of the world but it's definitely a lost opportunity.

realistically it's a bit suicidal to do an original theme... all these titles that manufacturers have been putting out have appeal outside pinball... which lets face it is a small community... opening yourself up to the communities of some of these themes gives you many more potential customers... an original theme only leaves pinball collectors and operators... and operators are not interested in original themes because they have much less appeal to the general public...

#109 3 years ago

I hate the name. I hate selfies. I hate the phone on the playfield. I hate that it can communicate with my phone. I hate the idea of waving your hand in the air to scratch off a lottery ticket. Seems like lots of gimmicky ideas targeted at the Pokemon crowd. Also, I hate the price. Probably $9500 shipped. Simply not for me.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

We got to play the game remotely with the phone. So much potential. Tons of fun.

I'm sure you aren't playing that game with Marvin's phone.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I hate the name. I hate selfies. I hate the phone on the playfield. I hate that it can communicate with my phone. I hate the idea of waving your hand in the air to scratch off a lottery ticket. Seems like lots of gimmicky ideas targeted at the Pokemon crowd. Also, I hate the price. Probably $9500 shipped. Simply not for me.

"gimmicky ideas"? You do understand you're in a pinball forum, right?

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Great example of the Pinside echo chamber is on display tonight, so I thought I'd chime in as someone who actually played the game.
I had not been reading any threads leading up to the JJP announcement, but as an operator, I was skeptical of a non-licensed theme. So I went into this with no expectations. I was there in person for the expo reveal tonight.
I think the name, and the theme, sound dumb if you're not standing right at the machine. The execution is awesome. It's basically a Sim City Disaster theme...being broadcast by an action news channel. To observers, the backbox is like watching someone play a video game.
It's a standard width body cabinet. It's fast. Really fast. One of the quickest, least stop & go, titles by Lawlor. Much faster than WOZ or TH. When you watch someone play this game, you want to play it. There were crowds huddling around the games for hours afterwards.
People LOVED the selfie feature. A camera takes pictures of you during certain modes...one of them is a frenzy mode where it takes a picture with every switch hit (and displays them in piles on the LCD screen). I saw people taking pictures of the game taking pictures of the player. People were loving it.
Other tidbits:
In multiball, people are shooting lasers at you (indicated by inserts on the playfield). If one hits your flipper, it shudders a bit and you can't flip for a second or two, and then it comes back. You can prevent this by shooting a ball up at the laser to disable it (and get the super jackpot).
At some points, you are awarded tickets. You earn the reward by literally raising your hand in front of your face and miming that you are scratching the ticket.
This game is not about a phone. It's a sim city destruction theme. The people who watched live gameplay, and played themselves all came away excited about it. I hadn't heard a bad word.
Trust me, it's going to be a big hit.

Weren't you the funny person on periscope last night? Handle sounded like your name is why I'm asking

#113 3 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

"gimmicky ideas"? You do understand you're in a pinball forum, right?

honestly the theme and some of the aspects of the game do feel like a bunch of old guys got together and discussed "what all the youngins are doin now days"

*puts on downvote suit*

#114 3 years ago

I've had my deposit in for a short time now. No regrets. I've bought other games and loved them or hated them. It's only money and if I don't like it, I'll sell it but this could be solid. Hope I'm not let down.

#115 3 years ago

I predict now that this game is getting a bunch of crap but when people actually play it, it's going to catch on Big Time!

#116 3 years ago

My god if this had been BM66 (theme) with all these bells and whistles and build quality it would have been a knock down drag out hit with 6999 units possible.

Stern got the theme but not the execution and it looks like JJP has the reverse.

#117 3 years ago

A lot of people hated the WOZ theme and even the game play for the longest time. Once WOZ was completed, a lot of the early haters found there was much to like. Gameplay looks to be fun, there is a lot of innovation in this game. Personally going to wait to play it before I pass any final judgment.

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

honestly the theme and some of the aspects of the game do feel like a bunch of old guys got together and discussed "what all the youngins are doin now days"
*puts on downvote suit*

This is my sentiment exactly, lol. During the presentation they contiually talked about how great OPs are and thanked them over and over for keeping the hobby alive. Then price a game at 9k which seems more targeted for the home market.

I feel fairly attached to technology, but I have no interest in making my phone interact with a pinball other than maybe track my scores so I can easily compete with people. Perhaps tie in with bracketlope to report tourney scores instantly even.

The theme on paper is terrible. Super terrible. However, so is Congo. That game is really great and fun though with a great integration.

#119 3 years ago

Are there any misspelled words on the game?

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

realistically it's a bit suicidal to do an original theme... all these titles that manufacturers have been putting out have appeal outside pinball... which lets face it is a small community... opening yourself up to the communities of some of these themes gives you many more potential customers... an original theme only leaves pinball collectors and operators... and operators are not interested in original themes because they have much less appeal to the general public...

I think original themes can work. You have to be committed to them and continue to do them to build an audience. It's not gonna be a one time thing. The humor through all of the B/W original games is pretty consistent. You know what you're getting. Gottlieb's original themes of the 90s were pretty shallow and just seemed like knockoffs. Their 80s games seemed more like parodies but still shallower than what Williams was doing at the time.

Dialed In makes the fourth original theme in four years, America's Most Haunted, Whoa Nellie, and Full Throttle. There wasn't an original theme before that since CGC's 2003 Vacation America. Original themes are a long term investment. A company is gonna have to stick with them if they want it to become a part of their business.

#121 3 years ago

Dialed In looks like it is going to be a lot of fun to play and I'm looking forward to trying it out, but I hate cell phones and don't want one in the middle of my pin demanding my attention. That's why mine phone is usually off.

I don't want to have my photo taken, don't want any tickets, don't want to play remotely via another cell phone. However, those who are enchanted by their phones will probably not find any of this to be an issue...

#122 3 years ago

It's pinball, not punball...change the name and that will solve 50% of problem, lower price and solve other 50%. Looks fun and finally an original theme

#123 3 years ago

Nicecatch, badbilly!

Thanks for the review, Ryan.

I think the game exceeds expectations for innovation.

This alone, imo, deserves a round of applause.

Tons of hard work, to create what is now available.

I'd love to own one, and only have price hesitation.

My mind keeps saying S6995, and a record number of sales.

I guess I would be happy and blessed with any of the new games revealed.
My wallet.....not so much.

Makes my appreciate the minty Judge Dread picked up recently under 1500.

But crap, all of these are winners for everyone!

#124 3 years ago

For those who played it: what's it like, exactly? I know it's an early code, but what's the "plot" of the game? I really like the idea of a Watchdogs-esque "eye in the sky" sims catastrophe-prevention theme (hooray, my predictions were nearly accurate), but we'll see what kind of character the game itself actually has.

That reveal was super kludgy, though. I was out of the house but I managed to tune in to the Periscope for a couple minutes just in time to hear Jack talking about a new type of cabinet with no boards, and then when I rewatched it later at home I couldn't figure out Pat's presentation at all. He kept hammering on the cell phone stuff when I really wanted to know about everything else. It'd be like revealing TZ and spending ten minutes talking about the gumball machine and then saying "oh yeah there's some Twilight Zone stuff in there too, but wow, dig that gumball machine!"

Hopefully there'll be a more polished promo video like what Heighway did for Alien that'll give us some more information on what everything in the game does. I'm guessing the drones drop mini-modes and gifts like the Wheel in Roadshow? The Einstein Cinema looks cool but all he said was it gives you hints or something. It seems ironic that this "pin of the future" is mostly a throwback to mid-2000s aesthetics.

Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think original themes can work. You have to be committed to them and continue to do them to build an audience. It's not gonna be a one time thing. The humor through all of the B/W original games is pretty consistent. You know what you're getting. Gottlieb's original themes of the 90s were pretty shallow and just seemed like knockoffs. Their 80s games seemed more like parodies but still shallower than what Williams was doing at the time.

What I'd like to see from original themes and licensed themes alike is more creativity and breadth in the writing. Pins have so much processing power now, imagine if Medieval Madness had fifty different princesses and a hundred different quips for each? You'd never hear the same thing twice (well, for the first few months), so every game would have a new surprise.

Slightly off-topic, but what is it with people over 40 going into paroxysms over the concept of selfies?

#125 3 years ago

I should also mention Bluetooth connectivity is brilliant!!! Maybe not for flipping from your phone but I can see an app that has online leaderboards per location and that could be incredible. Major innovation leaps here

#126 3 years ago

All this drama could have been avoided with a different name for this pin & a couple different uses for the toys. How about "Typhoon"(Whirlwind 2.0)? The camera can take pictures of you fighting off the storms(multiball, etc.) & the various disaster's as you try to survive. The phone/LCD could have been a news network reporting the weather & the disaster's(modes) as they are happening. Using whimsical/funny characters would have been easy to accomplish & funny.
The layout looks fun, it's just a weird concept.
Oh, I almost forgot, WTF is up with the $9,000 price tag!
I wish em luck & look forward to playing it some day.

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

We got to play the game remotely with the phone. So much potential. Tons of fun.

After initially hating it and complaining, i decided to ignore pinside and i watched every gameplay video i could find and have changed my tune. The game plays pretty rad. Please convince Marvin to get one for stonehenge I cant price it for home but id love to have access to one.

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nicecatch, badbilly!
Thanks for the review, Ryan.
I think the game exceeds expectations for innovation.
This alone, imo, deserves a round of applause.
Tons of hard work, to create what is now available.
I'd love to own one, and only have price hesitation.
My mind keeps saying S6995, and a record number of sales.
I guess I would be happy and blessed with any of the new games revealed.
My wallet.....not so much.
Makes my appreciate the minty Judge Dread picked up recently under 1500.
But crap, all of these are winners for everyone!

Well put.

While I don't mind the theme/name myself, if they would have named this Quantum City and priced them at $6999 they very well could have sold 6999 of them.

I still think in the end it is going to be an amazing player.

The price and theme anger will probably prevent it from selling that many....

#129 3 years ago

so it seems like anyone who's played it thinks it's great. Pinside knows better, though.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

I should also mention Bluetooth connectivity is brilliant!!! Maybe not for flipping from your phone but I can see an app that has online leaderboards per location and that could be incredible. Major innovation leaps here

And I see linking a couple of them together utilizing Bluetooth... until I get an $18k for the two games. Talk about overage charges.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

so it seems like anyone who's played it thinks it's great. Pinside knows better, though.

I saw everything I need to see from that shaky, blurry Periscope feed of an awkward presentation of an in-progress pin.

#132 3 years ago

pinsides reaction was more of an outward ending spiral (similar to a planet breaking its orbit) it started with the reveal and was spun in a negative direction. the negativity towards the art and theme became overwhelming and the optimists used the hope of gameplay to bring it back to positive. the game probably rocks to play. Pat knows how to design fun pinball games, hes not an artist, and many of the major complaints are easily fixed, so the game is getting a positive spin as gameplay reviews are coming in. this cycle will continue until the games release, at which point, like a planet being thrown out of its orbit it will head whichever direction it was facing when it was released.

go look at all the threads and posts bashing the game, i dont remember anyone knocking the gameplay just the theme and price. so you've played a game on it.cool. the rest of us are allowed to knock the art and theme and price all we want. heres a thought: maybe this is not just an example of the pinside echo chamber but is something that we actually all agreed on at the same time. as an example of the behavior in the paragraph above i knew the negativity would come in a wave, subside, and go the opposite direction. which was honestly the most frustrating part of that whole cringeworthy reveal, knowing that pinside is so full of contrarians that this thing will be the coolest game ever by noon the next day.

#133 3 years ago

Thanks Ryan for the players and operators view. I took that back to the video and can see past some of my own negative perception, but still hold that aesthetically and as a concept its problematic. However those two things are what I hold highest, that wont' be the case for everyone.

I'm glad to see the innovation and glad to hear that the game design, as expected from JJ is innovative and well thought out. That said, it actually makes it more frustrating to me knowing there's something there worth paying attention too, but hard to look at due to its negatives.

I don't think the theme or art direction just doesn't meet the quality of the game and that's an unfortunate situation. I think JJP needed to have this hit on all cylinders. I think for most its probably a 6/8 for me its a 4/8 as my priorities are different.

Not everyone is going to be happy, so for the sake of pinball, lets hope enough are happy that we'll see more from JJP.

#134 3 years ago

I don't even care about the price (although the $12.5K CE is questionable), but the theme... it's so bad.

Just. Change. The. Name. Please!

#135 3 years ago

I value Ryan's opinion as an op and as a great player. Glad he is in on it so I can actually play one. Can't wait to pick your brain about it next week at team league

#136 3 years ago

Gee, the people who played they game seem to like it, while dozens of complainers, some who obviously haven't done anything more than hear the title, do nothing but bitch.

Way to go Pinside, keep being pinside.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

I saw everything I need to see from that shaky, blurry Periscope feed of an awkward presentation of an in-progress pin.

That was a terrible reveal. They should have went into the next room, grabbed Jack Danger, had him put his playfield cams on the game and let Pat play and explain the game on Twitch at a high resolution. It was such a simple solution. They could still do it really. Expo isn't over and I'm sure Jack is still there and would love to do it.

#138 3 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

All this drama could have been avoided with a different name for this pin & a couple different uses for the toys. How about "Typhoon"(Whirlwind 2.0)? The camera can take pictures of you fighting off the storms(multiball, etc.) & the various disaster's as you try to survive. The phone/LCD could have been a news network reporting the weather & the disaster's(modes) as they are happening. Using whimsical/funny characters would have been easy to accomplish & funny.
The layout looks fun, it's just a weird concept.
Oh, I almost forgot, WTF is up with the $9,000 price tag!
I wish em luck & look forward to playing it some day.

I felt kind of the same way - but instead of a name like "Typhoon" indicating one disaster - something like Armageddon, End of the World, etc. Where you are facing multiple disasters in different sections of the playfield - there could even be callbacks to Whirlwind and other games as well. The callouts could be made pretty funny in such a theme. You could have a Whirlwind, Earthquake, Alien Invasion, etc etc. And your goal is to get through them all alive.

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't even care about the price (although the $12.5K CE is questionable), but the theme... it's so bad.
Just. Change. The. Name. Please!

No doubt, just changing the name to Quantum City is a huge improvement, making the theme one of discovery/protecting the city and its inhabitants. Dialed in doesn't convey any of that intrigue or excitement. Once you make it not about the cellphone, most of the problem of the game seeming dated in the future goes away and the phone In the game is just seen as a reflection of where we were in 2017. Keep the cellphone as the main theme and then the whole game is subject to the ravages of technological atrophy and feeling dated. It would make a world of difference.

#140 3 years ago

Does anyone know what the difference is between the LE version and the Collector's Edition?

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

Does anyone know what the difference is between the LE version and the Collector's Edition?

$3500

#142 3 years ago

Just played and game last night after drinking. Then this morning before the lines grew any more. Wait til the more opinionated people on here play it. They might change there mind. Its a blast to play. Super fun. I like the news cast setting. I like that martians are in it. Sounds are what you would expect pat to do. A great shooting game. Impressive want more time in on it.

#143 3 years ago

Game looks interesting and can't wait to play one. I definitely think the name should be changed though.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Just played and game last night after drinking. Then this morning before the lines grew any more. Wait til the more opinionated people on here play it. They might change there mind. Its a blast to play. Super fun. I like the news cast setting. I like that martians are in it. Sounds are what you would expect pat to do. A great shooting game. Impressive want more time in on it.

Great to hear, thanks for the write up. It seems like everyone that plays it has it enjoyed it so far.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

For those who played it: what's it like, exactly? I know it's an early code, but what's the "plot" of the game? I really like the idea of a Watchdogs-esque "eye in the sky" sims catastrophe-prevention theme (hooray, my predictions were nearly accurate), but we'll see what kind of character the game itself actually has.
That reveal was super kludgy, though. I was out of the house but I managed to tune in to the Periscope for a couple minutes just in time to hear Jack talking about a new type of cabinet with no boards, and then when I rewatched it later at home I couldn't figure out Pat's presentation at all. He kept hammering on the cell phone stuff when I really wanted to know about everything else. It'd be like revealing TZ and spending ten minutes talking about the gumball machine and then saying "oh yeah there's some Twilight Zone stuff in there too, but wow, dig that gumball machine!"
Hopefully there'll be a more polished promo video like what Heighway did for Alien that'll give us some more information on what everything in the game does. I'm guessing the drones drop mini-modes and gifts like the Wheel in Roadshow? The Einstein Cinema looks cool but all he said was it gives you hints or something. It seems ironic that this "pin of the future" is mostly a throwback to mid-2000s aesthetics.

What I'd like to see from original themes and licensed themes alike is more creativity and breadth in the writing. Pins have so much processing power now, imagine if Medieval Madness had fifty different princesses and a hundred different quips for each? You'd never hear the same thing twice (well, for the first few months), so every game would have a new surprise.
Slightly off-topic, but what is it with people over 40 going into paroxysms over the concept of selfies?

I'll try answer that since I'm over 40. I don't think it has anything to do with age.
Off topic, what's with people under 40 that use the term "paroxysms" generalizing that all people over 40 have issues with the term selfie?
Sorry I couldn't resist being sarcastic. Just joking. Don't get pissed.

#146 3 years ago

my two cents....it's the price point on these games that's causing all the critical comments.

If these games were priced lower in line with other games, then people would have a true choice to make on the game play itself. Right now, $9000 for this or BM66 is just too much for most to justify.

Here's something to consider:
With increased production capabilities at both Stern and JJP, why aren't economies of scale helping to drive down the costs of production? And this lead to more competitive pricing?

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

my two cents....it's the price point on these games that's causing all the critical comments.
If these games were priced lower in line with other games, then people would have a true choice to make on the game play itself. Right now, $9000 for this or BM66 is just too much for most to justify.
Here's something to consider:
With increased production capabilities at both Stern and JJP, why aren't economies of scale helping to drive down the costs of production? And this lead to more competitive pricing?

I think you're absolutely right blitzburg. I never looked at it from your point of view. If all the games were under 6k for example I would look past a lot of stuff that isn't perfect. I guess there's a tipping in just about everything.

#148 3 years ago

Ok. I'd love to play it. Sounds great

Maybe Pinballz will have it

I'm not buying it at $9k because I don't like the theme period and the tactics are more arrogant and sleazy than Stern imho

But congrats to anybody laying down $9k for a 6,999 version

Whatever floats your boat

Wow, so it's $9500 shipped, no thanks

But, it's still great to have another option

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It's pinball, not punball...change the name and that will solve 50% of problem, lower price and solve other 50%. Looks fun and finally an original theme

^^THIS^^ 100%. Jack should listen to this advice, it will help tremendously! These are not hard fixes.

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from brundaged:

My husband'll put me on the couch for one, and a week for the other!

Quoted from kklank:

I'll try answer that since I'm over 40. I don't think it has anything to do with age.
Off topic, what's with people under 40 that use the term "paroxysms" generalizing that all people over 40 have issues with the term selfie?
Sorry I couldn't resist being sarcastic. Just joking. Don't get pissed.

Haha, it's just funny that it's something people seem to really strongly object to. I grew up right before cell phones became a thing and I still remember everyone taking photos of themselves on Polaroids and disposable cameras - maybe it's just because it has a name now, lol.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 50.00
$ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside