172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.
#751 7 years ago

Great looking game. Dialed in dude is just not very hipster. Needs a beard with them Lee jeans and belt.

#752 7 years ago

Is phone guy a satire of this?

images (21) (resized).jpgimages (21) (resized).jpg

#753 7 years ago

I haven't played or even seen the game in person, so I'm probably not qualified to give input. However, here it is anyway: What about "Lifeline" for the name of the game?

It has intensity and drama. It has the word "line" in it so it has a more subtle tie in to the phone... I like it.

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I haven't played or even seen the game in person, so I'm probably not qualified to give input. However, here it is anyway: What about "Lifeline" for the name of the game?
It has intensity and drama. It has the word "line" in it so it has a more subtle tie in to the phone... I like it.

Not bad, plus it has the same number of characters.

#755 7 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Not bad, plus it has the same number of characters.

I don't think of that, but it might help minimize changes on the art?

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I don't think of that, but it might help minimize changes on the art?

Yep. The more I think about it the more I like your idea and I think your right, Dialed In lacks drama.

Not saying anything bad about the game or the theme fit at this point as I'm also one who has not seen it in person... I just think from a cold call perspective, Lifeline seems likely to grab more attention.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Is phone guy a satire of this?

Nah, that pose is very common... in fact the Vacation poster you mention is a satire of other posters... Star Wars, Conan, etc.

#758 7 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

This is completely self serving but I would love to see a loyalty bonus, say $250 discount for each JJP game previously purchased. So someone who bought WOZ and TH gets $500 off of DI.

I agree. Loyalty type incentives have always earned a lot of points with me! If you think about it, surely it is one of the most simplistic and economical programs to operate. They only go bad, statistics have proven, when they are loosely concepted and implemented. By that I mean fraud and abuse. If the, "bad boy/girl" community finds a way to infiltrate and squeeze undeserved rewards out if any program, it usually is cooked and abandoned quickly. Being JJP's are in the $10k range it makes it much tougher to abuse a reward program so I hope they do something like that.

#759 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I think you're recalling a "vocal minority" of Pinsiders rather than a "majority". The vast majority of Pinsiders never even talk about "licensed" or "unlicensed" themes, much less bitch about one or the other.

Licensing cost typically make up roughly $50-$100 of the cost of a new pin. That's roughly equivalent to the wholesale price of a shaker motor add-on or Invisiglass upgrade. The development costs of an unlicensed theme are much higher than that, because a lot of the design has to developed from scratch. Pat actually addressed this issue in the JJP "deep dive" discussion at EXPO, saying that all of the graphics content of the SimCity-like video display has to be coded by JJP employees. Then he added (paraphrasing here), "While people still consider JJP a pinball manufacturer, we are much more like a pinball manufacturer / video game company now."

Are you sure" I heard license fees, time frame of 2014-2016, were near or at $500 per pin. I do admit that I did not ask detailed questions like what movie studio or what rock band was being referred to during that conversation( too many beers lol). Still, I kind of thought it seemed about right considering NIB pins have broken through that $6k barrier or wall quite easily lately. Seems like if I was Aerosmith or an equivalent entity, I would want more than a hundred bucks. Especially knowing how many hands would be held out waiting for a piece of that pie when the check arrived

#760 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Wait, what?! I thought there was some crazy regulation crap that resulted in Stern having to put the power button in the head due to the Spike systems design? lol. I mean, surely it can't be that Stern didn't want to spend the extra $1 to run some wire to the front of the cabinet...

I always wondered what was the "exact" story behind the move. We all have heard the U.L. regulation explanation, the cost saving explanation...the simplicity reason and I think I missed one or two lol. Still a puzzle as far as I am concerned. Jeesh maybe the truth is something silly like a Stern Vice President noticing his wife, or girlfriend's, jugs hanging out while bending over to turn on/off one of the current Stern pins. Then immediately knowing his daughter played pinball at the local country club he immediately informed engineering to move the switch top side. Lol...just a thought.

#761 7 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

I always wondered what was the "exact" story behind the move. We all have heard the U.L. regulation explanation, the cost saving explanation...the simplicity reason and I think I missed one or two lol. Still a puzzle as far as I am concerned. Jeesh maybe the truth is something silly like a Stern Vice President noticing his wife, or girlfriend's, jugs hanging out while bending over to turn on/off one of the current Stern pins. Then immediately knowing his daughter played pinball at the local country club he immediately informed engineering to move the switch top side. Lol...just a thought.

Seems legit!!!

#762 7 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

I heard license fees, time frame of 2014-2016, were near or at $500 per pin.

Whoever told you that was full of shit.

#763 7 years ago

Well when you consider all the Led Zepp rumors (super high license fees) it kind of makes sense. Especially in this world of super high athlete salaries, movie stars, musicians, etc. Hard to believe a lousy C note can license a theme for a pin. Just sounds way to cheap but I do not have any credible sources for fees like this...just rumors.

#764 7 years ago

I wish it was a wide body. Then they could have placed an iPad in the game instead of phone.

#765 7 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

Jeesh maybe the truth is something silly like a Stern Vice President noticing his wife, or girlfriend's, jugs hanging out while bending over to turn on/off one of the current Stern pins. Then immediately knowing his daughter played pinball at the local country club he immediately informed engineering to move the switch top side. Lol...just a thought.

I think the new position is more sexy with the ladies having to bend over the complete PF glass on tiptoes, literally climbing halfway onto the machine...

On another note, the prices for Europe were just released - the Standard is 10.100USD.

#766 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

On another note, the prices for Europe were just released - the Standard is 10.100USD.

Listed prices are (delivered in Luxembourg, taxes and customs included):
9050 € pro
10150 € Limited Edition
13.900 € Collector Edition.

#767 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Listed prices are (delivered in Luxembourg, taxes and customs included):
9050 € pro
10150 € Limited Edition
13.900 € Collector Edition.

In Germany it's
9.265EUR (10.100USD)
10.395EUR (11.300USD)
14.350EUR (16.000USD)

The difference is probably made up of different taxes & delivery.

#768 7 years ago

This will be my first NIB. Hope they change the name to Quantum City so my Avatar name makes sense

#769 7 years ago

It's crazy.
The price is just way too high

#770 7 years ago

Are people actually buying these? I know 3 people in NZ that have TH and WOZ and none of us are ordering this, just seems like they pushed pricing too far. At the same time a distributor keeps telling me they are selling a bunch. Based on what I see here and people I know I find it hard to reconcile the two.

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Are people actually buying these? I know 3 people in NZ that have TH and WOZ and none of us are ordering this, just seems like they pushed pricing too far. At the same time a distributor keeps telling me they are selling a bunch. Based on what I see here and people I know I find it hard to reconcile the two.

I have WOZECLE and THSE and am passing on DI mostly because of price. It just doesn't make sense at that price to me.

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I have WOZECLE and THSE and am passing on DI mostly because of price. It just doesn't make sense at that price to me.

This is what I keep hearing and I am in the same boat. I just wonder who the mystery buyers are... I'm getting a bit skeptical.

#773 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

This is what I keep hearing and I am in the same boat. I just wonder who the mystery buyers are... I'm getting a bit skeptical.

I guess I am one of the buyers because I have a deposit. I don't like the price either but I'm just holding at this point to see if anything happens.

#774 7 years ago

If you ask the distributors or parts suppliers there are crazy amounts of people ordering DI.....yet, everyone I know is passing on it, and there seems to be very few committed here on pinside.

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Are people actually buying these?

I know, in person (because I think it's worth specifying that this isn't just something "I heard" online), at least 4 people who have bought one. These things are flying. A lot of pinsiders are outraged about the price. Nobody I know or play with on location cares.

#776 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

I know, in person (because I think it's worth specifying that this isn't just something "I heard" online), at least 4 people who have bought one. These things are flying.

4 people who have paid $250 fully-refundable deposits, with a total of $1,000 at risk, does not equal 4 sales. When the pin is boxed, the balance is paid in full, and it actually ships, that's when the sale is booked. Lots of things can happen between now and then, and some of those people may move on to another pin (NIB or used) in the interim.

#777 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

4 people who have paid $250 fully-refundable deposits, with a total of $1,000 at risk, does not equal 4 sales.

First, I know how buying a pinball machine works thank you very much. Second, I know these people. This is why I so adamantly stressed that these interactions were in person, between friends, and not just some crap I heard online. One has a Batman SLE on the way, another has a Batman LE along with the DI on order. They're into new pins. These people are not going to drop their deposit and cancel. Thanks so much for being incredibly presumptuous though.

#778 7 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I wish it was a wide body. Then they could have placed an iPad in the game instead of phone.

Then it would be called "Mac'ed"up"

#779 7 years ago
Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

If you ask the distributors or parts suppliers there are crazy amounts of people ordering DI.....yet, everyone I know is passing on it, and there seen to be very few committed here on pinside.

This is a very small part of the pin world. I'm sure there are people here in on DI but not saying anything too.

#780 7 years ago

Seinfeld could probably make a better joke than I can out of the following.

No one "dials" a phone anymore. We don't have rotary phones. We call or phone people. I can accept that "phone", "call", and "dial" are synonyms, except they are not. "Dialed In" means something is set up well, but "Phoned In" means someone is being lazy.

For the record, I will likely be buying one.

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from dotEXE:

First, I know how buying a pinball machine works thank you very much. Second, I know these people. This is why I so adamantly stressed that these interactions were in person, between friends, and not just some crap I heard online. One has a Batman SLE on the way, another has a Batman LE along with the DI on order. They're into new pins. These people are not going to drop their deposit and cancel. Thanks so much for being incredibly presumptuous though.

Easy, tiger.

#782 7 years ago

I am easy, I was just explaining my point. I just don't see the point in saying the deposit is refundable or explaining how a sale works like I don't know these things. It's very patronizing.

#783 7 years ago

Just saw the prices here in Europe. Good name would be Jackpot (game says it already every game you play).

Or maybe it should be Jack Smokes Pot

#784 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

No one "dials" a phone anymore.

FWIW, while the term was created for a rotary dial, I just checked my phone with the latest version of Android and "Dial" is still the word used on the UI.

#785 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

FWIW, while the term was created for a rotary dial, I just checked my phone with the latest version of Android and "Dial" is still the word used on the UI.

Yes, that's what I find amusing. It would be inconceivable that this game would be named "Phoned In" for probably the same reason we keep the word "dial" when describing the act of operating a phone.

#786 7 years ago

I don't know about you guys, but I still "tape" things on my DVR ....

#787 7 years ago

Buffalo Pinball posted their 3 hour twitch stream of game play and Jersey Jack explained a lot of the reasons for some of the negative points made in many of these posts. I will say after watching about 2 hours of it off and on, I can see the game is probably a lot of fun. Its fun in part because there is a clear story line and you become more engaged because of that story. I'll give them credit for taking that lesson well from the Hobbit.

I still hold that the kernel of that story is probably the games worst part. Given that this shows they could have integrated any story line well into the play characteristics and design, the theme and stylistic choices remain as negatives.

That said. I do see that a lot more people will forgive those faults or even embrace them over time.

I think that once people play and accept this game as it exists, instead of the game they imagined or hoped for, overall opinion will change. I think they will prove to sell well, and even if its corny expose new players to fun of pinball.

I'm glad they tried an unlicensed theme. It proves they aren't very good at creating stories that are compelling, but maybe that lesson will improve future games or turn them back to using their strongest skill sets onto tried and true licensed themes.

#788 7 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Buffalo Pinball posted their 3 hour twitch stream of game play and Jersey Jack explained a lot of the reasons for some of the negative points made in many of these posts.

Thanks for the positive comments! I'll have to watch it.

#790 7 years ago

Why not change the phone to a disc or something like that. So dialed in is you are on

#791 7 years ago

Oops last word was on target.

#792 7 years ago

Two days after the initial presentation of Dialed In! at Pinball Expo 2016, Pinball Magazine sat down with game designer Pat Lawlor and talked to him for about an hour about his latest game. The entire interview is available as a free downloadable PDF magazine, which also includes a preview of the upcoming 4th issue of Pinball Magazine (available the last week of November 2016). http://www.pinball-magazine.com

Note: the PDF is intended to be viewed as a 2-page spread.

Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpgPinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg

#793 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Two days after the initial presentation of Dialed In! at Pinball Expo 2016, Pinball Magazine sat down with game designer Pat Lawlor and talked to him for about an hour about his latest game. The entire interview is available as a free downloadable PDF magazine, which also includes a preview of the upcoming 4th issue of Pinball Magazine (available the last week of November 2016). http://www.pinball-magazine.com

Thanks for keeping us up to date here. Kudos for covering fresh stories and hot topics. Reading now.

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Thanks!!!

#796 7 years ago
Quoted from unigroove:

Cool! I always love Lawlor's enthusiasm in interviews. He makes me wanna play it.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

If you want to play it in person our Dialed In event is next weekend in Philly at Pinball Gallery.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinballstars-jjp3-pat-lawlor-launch-party-sat-115-malvern-pa

Any word when we will be able to play on the west coast? Lots of pinheads on this side of the country too

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't know about you guys, but I still "tape" things on my DVR ....

Does your DVR say "Tape" when you want to perform that function, because my Android still says "Dial" when I want to make a call.

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Does your DVR say "Tape" when you want to perform that function, because my Android still says "Dial" when I want to make a call.

iOS says "Call". Having never really used VCR's for recording programs i use the term "Record" with my DVR and Record is the term it uses

3 months later
#800 7 years ago

So when will the new named for Dialed In be revealed?? Jack??

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-is-awesome-yes-i-played-it/page/16?hl=trunchbull and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.