Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.
#701 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

All great ideas, but honestly I'm amazed Jack is willing to even change the name (which will require art changes on the playfield, backglass, and cabinet). Now we want him to throw out all the animations they created too? It's no wonder why JJP can't release things in time, everyone is so critical and Jack bends. By the time this gets released with all the proposed changes, ever tier will get raised $500 and then people REALLY won't want to buy it because of it's updated price.

True and I don't expect Jack to listen to me or any one of us at this point in the games development. Just stating what in my opinion would make it more attractive to myself. Why? For no other reason than I find this game to be the most interesting new game to talk about and thats a good sign for Jack.

End of the day I would agree that $500 less (cost of shipping) over any changes is preferable.

#702 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

True and I don't expect Jack to listen to me or any one of us at this point in the games development. Just stating what in my opinion would make it more attractive to myself. Why? For no other reason than I find this game to be the most interesting new game to talk about and thats a good sign for Jack.
End of the day I would agree that $500 less (cost of shipping) over any changes is preferable.

This is completely self serving but I would love to see a loyalty bonus, say $250 discount for each JJP game previously purchased. So someone who bought WOZ and TH gets $500 off of DI.

#703 3 years ago

I'm surprised about all the price posts still happening here. Do people want a $500 discount if they keep the name? The majority have bitched for years for a non-licensed game - not another band, movie, licensed theme - so now its complain about the title? How about the thought that perhaps the $ saved on the license went into the toys, design and coolness of the game? Yes the price is xyz, pay it or move on, but at least JJP did skip the license costs on this one. Damned if you do, damned if you don't - the Pinside motto

#704 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Also, the standard version at $8K is dumb. I want the lit ramps, invisiglass, etc.. spending $8K for their "barebones" model isnt what I want, and many others as well. Give me the LE at $8200 INCLUDING shipping, and we'll talk. Not a penny more or i'll simply wait for the second hand market, which will contain playfield fixes and redesigns- just like what happened with WOZ and TH.

Exactly.

I know that you can get a NIB Hobbit LE for $8100.00 shipped. Zero reason that they shouldn't be able to do the same with DILE. And who knows, after the pin has been shipping for a few months, this might be exactly where the price winds up, maybe a couple hundred more?

#705 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

I'm surprised about all the price posts still happening here.

Since you are so surprised by it, let me help continue your surprise:

The price sucks.

Want to know what I'm surprised about? The fact that there are people who have the attitude that we should actually be thankful that JJP and others are offering these pins to us, despite what they cost and the fact that the prices keep going up.

#706 3 years ago

I still like:
$ Jacked Up $

#707 3 years ago
Quoted from dgarrett:

The majority have bitched for years for a non-licensed game - not another band, movie, licensed theme - so now its complain about the title?

I think you're recalling a "vocal minority" of Pinsiders rather than a "majority". The vast majority of Pinsiders never even talk about "licensed" or "unlicensed" themes, much less bitch about one or the other.

Quoted from dgarrett:

How about the thought that perhaps the $ saved on the license went into the toys, design and coolness of the game? Yes the price is xyz, pay it or move on, but at least JJP did skip the license costs on this one.

Licensing cost typically make up roughly $50-$100 of the cost of a new pin. That's roughly equivalent to the wholesale price of a shaker motor add-on or Invisiglass upgrade. The development costs of an unlicensed theme are much higher than that, because a lot of the design has to developed from scratch. Pat actually addressed this issue in the JJP "deep dive" discussion at EXPO, saying that all of the graphics content of the SimCity-like video display has to be coded by JJP employees. Then he added (paraphrasing here), "While people still consider JJP a pinball manufacturer, we are much more like a pinball manufacturer / video game company now."

#708 3 years ago

I don't understand the fuss. I'm looking at the Pinside Top 100...#1 game of all time is...unlicensed...unless I missed that movie and/or comic?

#709 3 years ago

Just noticed a whole lot of detail photos on Pinball News:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/expo2016/index.html

159a (resized).jpg162a (resized).jpg161a (resized).jpg158a (resized).jpg163a (resized).jpg170 (resized).jpg169 (resized).jpg168a (resized).jpg167 (resized).jpg166a (resized).jpg164a (resized).jpg156a (resized).jpg157a (resized).jpg154a (resized).jpg153a (resized).jpg155a (resized).jpg171 (resized).jpg

90 (resized).jpg

172 (resized).jpg

#711 3 years ago

I noticed that Dialed In doesn't have the full length playfield slides like WOZ did. Does Hobbit have them?

#712 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I noticed that Dialed In doesn't have the full length playfield slides like WOZ did. Does Hobbit have them?

Yes.

LTG : )

hobbitunderside (resized).jpg

#713 3 years ago

Thanks, Lloyd. Did they happen to mention why they didn't go with them on Dialed In?

#714 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Did they happen to mention why they didn't go with them on Dialed In?

Not to me.

LTG : )

#715 3 years ago

(Ahem)... electronics in back and a shaker motor and yet somehow they managed to find a way to keep the power switch in the traditional location.... just sayin.

#716 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks, Lloyd. Did they happen to mention why they didn't go with them on Dialed In?

I was curious about that as well. Of course on WOZ i really don't utilize the back half of the rails because the harness isn't long enogh... but on RFM I use the whole rail all the time.

#717 3 years ago

I really hope they dont change anything about this game. It will be a little sad to me personally if they do as I really like the original vision. That said, I trust Pat L and whatever he decides on.

Still one of the most fun games I have EVER played! Seeing those photos makes me excited in a good way!

#718 3 years ago

Fun trivia fact: when Hobbit was in prototype stage, it had the half rails underneath the field also.

#719 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

(Ahem)... electronics in back and a shaker motor and yet somehow they managed to find a way to keep the power switch in the traditional location.... just sayin.

Wait, what?! I thought there was some crazy regulation crap that resulted in Stern having to put the power button in the head due to the Spike systems design? lol. I mean, surely it can't be that Stern didn't want to spend the extra $1 to run some wire to the front of the cabinet...

#720 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

surely it can't be that Stern didn't want to spend the extra $1 to run some wire to the front of the cabinet...

That's pure profit margin!

QSS

#721 3 years ago

Other than the dude holding the cell phone the playfield art is awesome.. I especially love the slingshot art with the woman screaming.. all the plastics and toys are great..

#722 3 years ago

I'd venture to say changing the name would be a bad move for JJP....just rung what you brung and the market will dictate the final price.

#723 3 years ago

Wow! The game looks really neat.

#724 3 years ago

the game looks awesome - watched the twitch feed and my fricken brain can't get past the "dialed in" at the top

#725 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

my fricken brain can't get past the "dialed in" at the top

Who's in charge: You, or your brain?

#726 3 years ago

Game looks really well done. Lot's of detail. I can see where the premium price comes from. Still too much for me but love to have a really nice pin like that someday.

#727 3 years ago

If you say so.

Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png

#728 3 years ago

I was hoping for 'The Power' with the guy holding a detonator button instead of a cell phone. Pat used it on most all his games and even when he started PLD it was part of his logo.

#729 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you say so.

I hear you, but to be fair, I bet Pat green-lit that design. The sculpt that the artist developed was probably exactly what Pat wanted.

#731 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

She's the ramp diverter

I think most people understand the function of that sculpt. Rob was referring to the form (i.e., the Red & Ted's Road Show styling, circa 1994), and so was I.

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I think most people understand the function of that sculpt. Rob was referring to the form, and so was I.

She'll look fine when people come out with a glowing evil red LED eyes mod for her.

#734 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you say so.

I keep on thinking Roadshow every time I see the woman in the hat.

#735 3 years ago

Why couldn't she be a robot or alien.....anything but barb the builder.

#736 3 years ago

I think just changing the backglass and getting rid of the dialed in up there would make me happy
really liking what i see as far as game play

#737 3 years ago

Played some games at Expo last weekend and it was heck of a lot of fun! The code needs work but for what's there it was great. And with the announcement of a standard version for $1000 less I think that's a big move in the right direction for Jersey Jack. I hope we can land one of these here for the pinball guys to play for many years. Like with all of Pat Lawlor's games there are many things familiar from other games of his like Roadshow,RBION, tz, Funhouse (Rudy's hideout shot) and the list goes on. Great game and we'll done!

#738 3 years ago

Haha, I just now noticed how thick the phone being held on the backbox sideart is. Need a lot of battery for that quantum effect generator I guess!

#739 3 years ago

I am impressed with the small details JJP decides to include. The 3 dimensional words and symbols on the buildings could easily be flat, printed graphics, but this way they really pop.

Also, the middle of the playfield looks a little bland with generic-man holding his phone, but I like the extra little details around the inserts. Looks pretty cool.

#740 3 years ago

All the boards got moved from the bottom of the cabinet into the backbox. On the previous titles, they had to do a lot of monkey business with designing mechs to account for the lack of height between the metal box protecting the boards/cpu and the playfield. They also couldn't use the standard support rails that everyone else was using (because they're too deep).

They didn't say it explicitly, but in my mind, I took it to mean that they had to design special full length rails to make it work, but with the new design, they can use the standard ones. The standard ones do a slightly better job of propping up the front of the playfield for flipper work, in my opinion.

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If you say so.

I'm starting to like that manly, square jawed, woman robot thingie

#742 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I'm starting to like that manly, square jawed, woman robot thingie

It appears that her arm moves to block the ball, then I wonder what happens with the blocked ball?

#743 3 years ago

It goes onto the Pinbot style playfield and either falls through the hole into the bumpers or off the front edge.

#744 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

It goes onto the Pinbot style playfield and either falls through the hole into the bumpers or off the front edge.

Thanks. I see it now. That is a nice nuance.

#745 3 years ago

It's supposed to divert when you need to reach the bumpers.

#746 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It appears that her arm moves to block the ball, then I wonder what happens with the blocked ball?

It's actually confusing at first, not sure how well the photos show it, but when it drops and diverts the ball it goes off the rails onto a piece of clear plastic over the pops, then hits a rubber, and drops into a little pinball-sized hole in the plastic to the pops.

The first time I saw it I thought the ball had just jumped the rails, because of how it diverts over the clear plastic it looks like it just flew off.

#747 3 years ago

I actually really like the toys. I think they are fun and cartoon-like. I prefer the style to the WOZ and TH sculpts. Just my opinion.

#748 3 years ago

I love the nod to Funhouse with the 'visit bobs when flashing sign'. I look at that sign and I immediately think of Funhouse which has a similar light up board. Love it.

#749 3 years ago

Love the detail in that little plastic just near the mechanic-woman too.

#750 3 years ago

Let's give lots of credit to JJP for having the courage to do this game - original license, lots of innovation, tons of toys, top talent - I think they went all out here.
But, ...

...when I first saw the theme online my heart JUST SANK. The hero is a guy holding a cell phone into the sky. This is the main image on the flyer and on the playfield and a cell phone is part of the playfield. And he doesn't even look confident, he looks worried to me if you look at his face.

At issue here, and this cannot be overstated, is that even though our cell phones are of course very powerful and have transformed everything in the world, they are as common today as a fork. In my mind, I saw the equivalent of a guy holding a fork into the sky. Phones today are only awesome to people who don't use them 16hrs per day like your grandpa or grandma. I'm on my phone all day long for work and otherwise - why would I want to use a phone while playing pinball? Another issue is that our mobile tech is moving at an incredible pace and this game will look very outdated in just a few years. I really think that these details have not been thought out clearly even given that every other aspect of the game might be awesome.

Since early days, the theme of a game has been crucial to getting the first quarter into the game and I fear that a guy holding a cell phone won't do it - it's really the most uncool thing I can think of. We are all holding cell phones all day long, albeit not into the air, so it's really the most common thing you can see. The name is also very disappointing and won't draw anyone to try this game.

Instead of a guy holding a cell phone(?!?), why not have a robot or something and have some cool name including a robot or something - just really anything you could think of that could be awesome other than a guy holding a cell phone. If the game is fundamentally like sim city or something, then think of something cool and tie the art and name into that - anything other than a guy with a cell phone. Something powerful, something awesome - this is important and can have a great impact on the sales of this game. How about "____ City" or "City ___" where you insert some attention-grabbing cool word. Again, I'm not saying the game can't have a cell phone in it, or utilize a cell phone, I'm just saying don't make it the most visible part of the theme and name of the game - keep everything else in the game the same.

We all want JJP to succeed with this one and it looks to be a winner in terms of every other factor but please consider skinning this with something a bit cooler than a guy holding a cell phone. Change the playfield art a bit and change the name and I think there will be a much better response. Sometimes there can be a lot riding on just a single marketing image or an initial impression of a product regardless of other factors and it's not too late for some minor changes - that guy has got to go!

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
6,650 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mounds View, MN
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 49.00
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside