Topic Stats

• 961 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bemmett
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3931 (resized).jpg
IMG_4072 (resized).JPG
p10 (resized).jpg
Pinball Magazine Pat Lawlor interview cover small (resized).jpg
images (21) (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 5.39.27 PM (resized).png
Messages Image(1460731988) (resized).png
hobbitunderside (resized).jpg
172 (resized).jpg
171 (resized).jpg
170 (resized).jpg
169 (resized).jpg
168a (resized).jpg
167 (resized).jpg
166a (resized).jpg
164a (resized).jpg

There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 20.
#651 3 years ago

How about "Quantum Leap"?

Quantun Leap (resized).jpg

#652 3 years ago

Just call it 'Cash Grab'

#653 3 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Just call it 'Cash Grab'

Or "Quantum cash grab: Dialed in...to your ATM debit card"

#654 3 years ago

Imagine if Lawlor had gone with names that directly described the theme instead of "Earthshaker" and "Whirlwind". "Dialed In" would seem inspired next to names such as "Earthquake" or "Tornado Chaser".

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Imagine if Lawlor had gone with names that directly described the theme instead of "Earthshaker" and "Whirlwind". "Dialed In" would seem inspired next to names such as "Earthquake" or "Tornado Chaser".

I'm not sure what revisions they are cooking up in the JJP meeting room but personally I think Dialed In is a great name. It felt wrong to me when I first heard it but after letting it sink in I'm liking it more and more. It's very Lawlor.

#656 3 years ago

The fact JJP is already considering changes goes to show the reception is not what they thought it would be and they are concerned.

#657 3 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I'm not sure what revisions they are cooking up in the JJP meeting room but personally I think Dialed In is a great name. It felt wrong to me when I first heard it but after letting it sink in I'm liking it more and more. It's very Lawlor.

I'm ok with the name as it is now as well. However it took a much better understanding of the theme to get the name. So while I do actually personally kind of like the name now, I still think its a problem for that reason.

#658 3 years ago

Nice idea. Not true necessarily but whatever.

#659 3 years ago

Dial D for disaster! J/K, I'll go away now.

#660 3 years ago

The problem with "quantum" is that it's just a generic piece of technobabble. You might as well just say "tech city" or "future city". It should have the same narrative punch as a roller coaster name - I'd ride Earthshaker, but Quantum City sounds like something that was in Tomorrowland for about three years in the 90s.

#661 3 years ago

Watching the stream it felt much more like disaster news... live at 8. I think a name that highlights that would be exciting. Also a commentary on the tyical evening news adage of if it bleeds, it leads.

#662 3 years ago

Yes but the cell phone controls the quantum effects generator.

#663 3 years ago

I still like Dialed In as a name the best.

I think it fits the game, theme, and design perfectly.

#664 3 years ago

I saw someone in one of the posts suggest "Quantum City Chaos" which I think is the best I've heard.

#665 3 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

The fact JJP is already considering changes goes to show the reception is not what they thought it would be and they are concerned.

#666 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

I saw someone in one of the posts suggest "Quantum City Chaos" which I think is the best I've heard.

Quantum City Chaos was from me last Sunday. I do still feel that name provides a better description of the theme and how a lot is happening in this fictional futuristic city setting. The phone is a feature player but the city appears to be the entire playfield and LCD. The "Chaos" term adds an excitement to the theme name that is missing with the "Dialed In" title or "Quantum City" title alone.

#667 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I still like Dialed In as a name the best.
I think it fits the game, theme, and design perfectly.

I completely agree.

If anything, seeing all the alternative proposed names only confirms this.

Quoted from DCFAN:

Quantum City Chaos was from me last Sunday. I do still feel that name provides a better description of the theme and how a lot is happening in this fictional futuristic city setting.

Meh.

Too much of a mouthful for starters..

#668 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Too much of a mouthful for starters..

No more of a mouthful than Tales of the Arabian Nights, The Walking Dead, The Wizard of Oz, Attack from Mars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

#669 3 years ago

DisasterVision
Disaster Master
Parks and Wreck
Crisis Control
On Call

#670 3 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

As opposed to burring their head in the sand? Pick 1.

#671 3 years ago

Yeah, actually, it is for most of them.

But that's not the comparison. The comparison is "Dialed In"

#673 3 years ago

Dialed in Chaos

Acronym: DIC

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quantum City isn't a great name either. Quantum tells you nothing about the theme.
Disaster City is also kind of lame.
Needs a clever catchy name that implies disasters and fixing them as well as the setting. It needs the same style of name as "Zootopia"
Disasterburg
Calamity Junction
SimPliCity
Spin City
Disaster Department

Love you man...seriously I do, but you are not good at this....

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quantum City isn't a great name either. Quantum tells you nothing about the theme.
Disaster City is also kind of lame.
Needs a clever catchy name that implies disasters and fixing them as well as the setting. It needs the same style of name as "Zootopia"

Agreed... I never understood the desire for "Quantum City", and I still don't understand what "disaster" has to do with the game as the comic doesn't reflect that theme at all. My favorite is still "D.I.E. (Dialed In Enterprises)" unless the theme of the game doesn't actually revolve around DIE?

Will a new name make people happier? Only a little at best... most seem to agree that "Dialed In" is a decent name after understanding what the game is about. At least JJP open to new names, just as they were open to Hobbit Artwork changes (which was a huge difference).

#676 3 years ago

Shorten it up to Quantum Chaos.

If I remember correctly, the comic--or some other source--alluded to the phone causing disasters due to some sort of strange quantum mechanical effects/phenomena.

PS Personally I think 'Dialed In!' is fine. Don't love it. Don't hate it. It's just 'meh'.

PPS Played the game at expo and it kicked ass. That positive impression of the game probably made me care less about the name.

#677 3 years ago

JJP = Jersey Jacked-up Prices

Change the name Dialed In to Wallet Cleaner and it all will make sense

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Shorten it up to Quantum Chaos.
If I remember correctly, the comic--or some other source--alluded to the phone causing disasters due to some sort of strange quantum mechanical effects/phenomena.
PS Personally I think 'Dialed In!' is fine. Don't love it. Don't hate it. It's just 'meh'.
PPS Played the game at expo and it kicked ass. That positive impression of the game probably made me care less about the name.

I thought about Quantum Chaos as well when I came up with Quantum City Chaos, but thought better of it since Quantum Chaos is a branch of physics and would make the game sound like a science game rather than an action/disaster game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_chaos

#679 3 years ago

Quantum City Connect or Wallet Syphon

#680 3 years ago

How about "Price Ceiling Destroyed" or "Priced Out"? The standard at $8k is $500 more than Hobbit SE was shipped...it looks like a fun game, but not THAT much fun. Same goes for BM66. Wallet is safe.

#681 3 years ago

Is Jersey Jack changing the name?

#682 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is Jersey Jack changing the name?

yep, ''open your wallet''

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

How about "Price Ceiling Destroyed" or "Priced Out"? The standard at $8k is $500 more than Hobbit SE was shipped...it looks like a fun game, but not THAT much fun. Same goes for BM66. Wallet is safe.

To be fair, the Hobbit SE was only $7500 for people who pre-ordered the LE years before at that price and chose to upgrade to the SE. If I'm not mistaken the SE was $9000 for new orders ($500 more than the $8500 LE).

#684 3 years ago

'Only 7500'

The beginning of the end

#685 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

To be fair, the Hobbit SE was only $7500 for people who pre-ordered the LE years before at that price and chose to upgrade to the SE. If I'm not mistaken the SE was $9000 for new orders ($500 more than the $8500 LE).

True, and I wouldn't have bought TH at those prices. It's just too damn much in principle. I have to draw the line for myself...$7500 is it.

#686 3 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

'Only 7500'
The beginning of the end

Yes...however, Jack specifically said they are done with the preorder model so unfortunately, there will be no 'price breaks' for dialed in. That said, be sure to check out this thread if you do want to preorder at full price https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-limited-edition-jersey-jack-pinball/page/6#post-3415897 , but rest assured there is no more preorder model. Oh and be sure to preorder by 12/31/16 if you want a collectors edition as they will not make anymore than that is ordered. and since it's an unlicensed theme where they can make an unlimited run of these limited machines, there probably won't be any other editions of this game ran just like hobbit and woz, oh wait....

#687 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

True, and I wouldn't have bought TH at those prices. It's just too damn much in principle. I have to draw the line for myself...$7500 is it.

I liked the pre-order model with price break.

#688 3 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Parks and Wreck

Parks and wreckreation?

#689 3 years ago

State of Emergency - Quantum City.

#691 3 years ago

This should be incorporated into the artwork, and call the game "Can you afford me now?"

IMG_2964 (resized).JPG

#692 3 years ago

Dialed Into Disaster: Quantum City

#693 3 years ago

My current thoughts as I have had time to soak it all in:

1. I like the suggestion of Quantum Chaos, the fact that its a real science term: even better, most people won't care becausenit sounds cool.

2. Keep the phone, but change its role. Instead of having the player be a dumbwitted character who stumbles on some magic phone, make the player an emergency operations manager who is using the phone to corridinate and dispatch emergency responses.

3. D.I.E. Can still be your central villain with their expriment running amok and fighting the player to cover up their role.

#694 3 years ago

Why not SIMcard City?

#695 3 years ago

With the video's visual aesthetic I would think something like Breaking News would be appropriate.

Still not sure if they should even change it though. . . Seems dumb for people who saw it once during a blurry presentation to have a better idea of what to call it than the guys who have been working on it for years . . .

#696 3 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

1. I like the suggestion of Quantum Chaos, the fact that its a real science term: even better, most people won't care becausenit sounds cool.

2. Keep the phone, but change its role. Instead of having the player be a dumbwitted character who stumbles on some magic phone, make the player an emergency operations manager who is using the phone to corridinate and dispatch emergency responses.

3. D.I.E. Can still be your central villain with their expriment running amok and fighting the player to cover up their role.

All great ideas, but honestly I'm amazed Jack is willing to even change the name (which will require art changes on the playfield, backglass, and cabinet). Now we want him to throw out all the animations they created too? It's no wonder why JJP can't release things in time, everyone is so critical and Jack bends. By the time this gets released with all the proposed changes, ever tier will get raised $500 and then people REALLY won't want to buy it because of it's updated price.

#697 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

All great ideas, but honestly I'm amazed Jack is willing to even change the name (which will require art changes on the playfield, backglass, and cabinet). Now we want him to throw out all the animations they created too? It's no wonder why JJP can't release things in time, everyone is so critical and Jack bends. By the time this gets released with all the proposed changes, ever tier will get raised $500 and then people REALLY won't want to buy it because of it's updated price.

I say keep the name, Jack shouldnt spend any money to make the changes- just lower everything by $500 and call it a day

#698 3 years ago

Seriously, it's weird to see them bend over backwards to accommodate these keyboard quarterbacks who probably aren't even in the realm of buying the machine.

#699 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I say keep the name, Jack shouldnt spend any money to make the changes- just lower everything by $500 and call it a day ...

I'm sure if you gave people the choice, most people would choose this option. At the end of the day, does it really matter what the game is called? I suppose if you are planning on routing the game the name is important, but it's not like there are going to be a ton of these on location at these prices anyway.

#700 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm sure if you gave people the choice, most people would choose this option. At the end of the day, does it really matter what the game is called? I suppose if you are planning on routing the game the name is important, but it's not like there are going to be a ton of these on location at these prices anyway.

Exactly.. its the price, not the name that is making me not want to order it. I like what I see, and honestly am past the name of it - if he only priced it properly he would sell more.. changing the name is probably not going to sway people to spend that much at this point.

Also, the standard version at $8K is dumb. I want the lit ramps, invisiglass, etc.. spending $8K for their "barebones" model isnt what I want, and many others as well. Give me the LE at $8200 INCLUDING shipping, and we'll talk. Not a penny more or i'll simply wait for the second hand market, which will contain playfield fixes and redesigns- just like what happened with WOZ and TH.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mounds View, MN
$ 8,000.00
$ 9,000.00
$ 2.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 961 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 20.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside